Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skuse, Downes & Nolan 08:56 - Dec 11 with 2253 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

That's Lambert's biggest problem for me - getting all 3 on the same pitch.

None of them deserve to be left out, but going away from 4-4-2 has seen our performances dip. Who misses out if we went back to 4-4-2?

Nolan gets us playing and keeps things ticking, Downes' energy and high work rate is everything we missed last night and Skuse is the defensive brain.

That said, I've always thought we play best in a diamond under PL, but KVY injury means we can't play it effectively. Based on yesterday, I'd be quite happy if Keane or Norwood was up top on their own with Nolan off him, with Skuse and Downes behind.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 8:57]

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:03 - Dec 11 with 2231 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Am I missing something, Jon Nolan is not a number 10 and doesn't play off the striker.

His best position has always been as a box to box midfielder, he isn't skilful or good enough at carrying the ball to play number 10.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:35 - Dec 11 with 2178 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:03 - Dec 11 by TRUE_BLUE123

Am I missing something, Jon Nolan is not a number 10 and doesn't play off the striker.

His best position has always been as a box to box midfielder, he isn't skilful or good enough at carrying the ball to play number 10.

You don't have to carry the ball to play number 10. The best players at number 10 play intelligently - find pockets of space, play balls through, play 1 or 2 touch and chip in with goals and assists. I think he's one of our better ball players too.

I do agree though, box to box is his best role, but how do you fit all 3 in when it's currently seen a dip in performances recently and a change back to 4-4-2 would suit us.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 2171 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:35 - Dec 11 by IPSWICHFANITFC

You don't have to carry the ball to play number 10. The best players at number 10 play intelligently - find pockets of space, play balls through, play 1 or 2 touch and chip in with goals and assists. I think he's one of our better ball players too.

I do agree though, box to box is his best role, but how do you fit all 3 in when it's currently seen a dip in performances recently and a change back to 4-4-2 would suit us.

I think Dozzell deserves to start and I would always have Alan Judge in the team at number 10.

Don't ask me what formation I am playing though.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:59 - Dec 11 with 2134 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:37 - Dec 11 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think Dozzell deserves to start and I would always have Alan Judge in the team at number 10.

Don't ask me what formation I am playing though.

I've always thought we look at our strongest in a diamond. Skuse - Downes - Nolan - Judge would be my preferred 4.

Dozzell seems best when he's played a bit deeper with less responsibility on the defensive side, and with Downes next to him.

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 10:01 - Dec 11 with 2132 viewsStokieBlue

Skuse is one of our best players but if you are making a case for development and competing next year in the Championship then you can also make a case for him starting less games and seeing whether Downes/Dozzell would ever work.

It's not based on current effectiveness, just future possibilities. At the moment we would get battered in the Championship.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 10:01 - Dec 11 with 2132 viewstextbackup

Downes is the only one of the 3 that must start.

Said it the other day, Downes and Dozzell is something I’d like to see.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:34 - Dec 11 with 2065 viewsBigManBlue

If only there was some sort of theory, a system maybe, that allowed for swapping players in between matches... For keeping a large squad fresh and happy, and enabling us to play a consistent and well drilled formation that always had ready replacements to come in...

For what it's worth I'd have Downes and Nolan at home and Skuse with one of the two away.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:47 - Dec 11 with 2035 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 10:01 - Dec 11 by textbackup

Downes is the only one of the 3 that must start.

Said it the other day, Downes and Dozzell is something I’d like to see.

I don't know if you managed to watch game on Saturday, but Downes, Dozz and Nolan were magnificent in the first half - so fluid, so good on the ball and a real understanding - rotating around positions and interchanging all game and they couldn't live with us.

When Skuse plays that just doesn't happen as he plays the sitting role and everyone else has to work round him and you lose that balance.

I'd set up like this on Saturday

--------------------------Holy---------------------------
Donacien----Woolfie----Chambers---Garbutt
------------------Downes-----Dozzell----------------
--------------------------Nolan------------------------
Edwards/Rowe----------------------------Judge
---------------------------Keane----------------------

We don't need Skuse in home games we need to win, he is there for the tough games to strengthen us - we need to be better and to beat teams, not try and drag them into a battle and come out on top

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:49 - Dec 11 with 2023 viewsKieran_Knows

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:47 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

I don't know if you managed to watch game on Saturday, but Downes, Dozz and Nolan were magnificent in the first half - so fluid, so good on the ball and a real understanding - rotating around positions and interchanging all game and they couldn't live with us.

When Skuse plays that just doesn't happen as he plays the sitting role and everyone else has to work round him and you lose that balance.

We don't need Skuse in home games we need to win, he is there for the tough games to strengthen us - we need to be better and to beat teams, not try and drag them into a battle and come out on top

Could do with a new winger in January, or Lankester fit and that would be a bloody good side.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:50 - Dec 11 with 2016 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:49 - Dec 11 by Kieran_Knows

Could do with a new winger in January, or Lankester fit and that would be a bloody good side.

Sears would be good there, I think even Jackson would be.

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:53 - Dec 11 with 2003 viewsPinewoodblue

You could fit all three in if you went 3-4-1-2

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:54 - Dec 11 with 1996 viewsMrTown

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:50 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

Sears yes, Jackson not for me.

Although I do like your team. Only worry with Judge left wing, does he provide enough protection for the full back.

I actually think Georgiou/Garbutt would be a good combination.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 14:06 - Dec 11 with 1860 viewsHullblue

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:50 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

I developed high hopes for Jackson playing out wide in a 433 after his assist (or was it two?) against Southend where he used his pace to get to the byline and pulled it back perfectly.

He also put one on a plate for Norwood against Wycombe.

On Saturday though he had two chances to put an easy ball in for Keane and didn’t get his head up - not sure why.

All the examples above are of him coming from inside to out rather than the other way around which is a bit different, but can definitely see the potential.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 14:30 - Dec 11 with 1825 viewsOsborneOneNil

Easy, just play Downes and Nolan. Sorted.
Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 00:52 - Dec 12 with 1701 viewspointofblue

I’d go with something similar to that but at home have Norwood, Jackson and Keane in a front three. When away replace two of them and Dozzell with Skuse, Edwards and Rowe to make us more solid defensively.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 06:28 - Dec 12 with 1612 viewsEly_Blue

Judge is not a wide player, he rarely stays wide and he then invites pressure on the poor left back who not only has no help when defending but also has no out ball from the defence as seen on Tuesday night on numerous occasions when Kenlock got the ball at LB and there was no forward pass on.

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:05 - Dec 12 with 1533 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 06:28 - Dec 12 by Ely_Blue

Judge is not a wide player, he rarely stays wide and he then invites pressure on the poor left back who not only has no help when defending but also has no out ball from the defence as seen on Tuesday night on numerous occasions when Kenlock got the ball at LB and there was no forward pass on.

Judge was playing centrally for most of the game on Tuesday

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:09 - Dec 12 with 1527 viewsgordon

That's that sorted then, everyone agrees. Someone email over the teamsheet to PL.
Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 11:15 - Dec 12 with 1474 viewsJoHnNnY

I agree to a point, I think the problem is more Skuse and Downes playing on the pitch togther.

Same style, it should be Downes all the way Skuse bench back up, will be the same when McGavin steps up. Similar player/ role for their strongest positions.

Downes, Nolan and a more out and out foward thinking playmaker should be a mid 3. (If 5 in mid)

It’s why we don’t create, 1 up front, 3 “sitters”.

It’s not hard to see - well PL struggles.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 12:09 - Dec 12 with 1438 viewsPilgrimblue

Skuse, Downes & Nolan on 09:35 - Dec 11 by IPSWICHFANITFC

You leave out Skuse!

He had a poor game on Tuesday and despite his "defensive brain" he still had little impact on game as it passed him by with Coventry midfielders making him look very slow and indecisive.
Nolan looks best in central midfield with Downes and Dozzy and I'd leave them for rest of season. Skuse is too defensive and we don't need another defender if we're playing 532 with the midfield are taking control (as they should!).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024