Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disinterested manager means 07:04 - Dec 11 with 1660 viewssotd78

Disinterested players. 6,500 die hard fans. Everyone else disinterested. We got what we deserved last night. Okay the players all tried to a degree but there was no team. No cohesiveness. No closing down in pairs. No triangles. Not much tracking back. All the dirty stuff. The hard graft needed. All missing.

Who'd you blame. Has to be the coaching staff no?

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Disinterested manager means on 07:29 - Dec 11 with 1363 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'd say the blame lies very squarely with 6,500 'diehard fans'. Quite why anybody pays good money to see themselves and a cup competition treated with utter contempt beggars belief. Beyond that maybe Arsene Wenger and his ilk are to blame for deciding that domestic cup competitions are too much like hard work for professional footballers. Fast forward a couple of decades and you have the nadir that the FA Cup has become. Gullible fans swallow the tosh hook line and sinker - but I doubt their employers would be overly impressed if those decided not to go to work for a day and sent their children, or a mate of a mate instead.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

More to the point on 08:39 - Dec 11 with 1242 viewsGuthrum

How come there were only about 6,200 Town fans there for a game in the supposedly beloved FA Cup? Barely more than than we've had for the Leasing Dot Com thing.

Perhaps the players thought the home fans weren't very interested.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Disinterested manager means on 09:05 - Dec 11 with 1220 viewsGuthrum

Disinterested manager means on 07:29 - Dec 11 by ElephantintheRoom

I'd say the blame lies very squarely with 6,500 'diehard fans'. Quite why anybody pays good money to see themselves and a cup competition treated with utter contempt beggars belief. Beyond that maybe Arsene Wenger and his ilk are to blame for deciding that domestic cup competitions are too much like hard work for professional footballers. Fast forward a couple of decades and you have the nadir that the FA Cup has become. Gullible fans swallow the tosh hook line and sinker - but I doubt their employers would be overly impressed if those decided not to go to work for a day and sent their children, or a mate of a mate instead.

It's not like we put out a particularly weakened squad.

Barring Nsiala, Cotter (supposedly a good young prospect) and Huws (recently returned from injury), the rest of the team had started an average 68% of League matches (rising to 79% if you include sub apparances) - this despite Kenlock not having played in the League since mid September. It also included our strongest strike partnership.

We were only Chambers/Wilson, Garbutt and Downes short of a full League starting lineup.

Yes, we played badly, but hardly "contempt for the Cup".

Disinterested manager means on 09:10 - Dec 11 with 1201 viewsElephantintheRoom

Disinterested manager means on 09:05 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Barring Nsiala, Cotter (supposedly a good young prospect) and Huws (recently returned from injury), the rest of the team had started an average 68% of League matches (rising to 79% if you include sub apparances) - this despite Kenlock not having played in the League since mid September. It also included our strongest strike partnership.

We were only Chambers/Wilson, Garbutt and Downes short of a full League starting lineup.

It was a team that had never played before, played like it had never played before - and probably won't play again. There is little point in entering cup competitions if you aren't going to try and win games.... Town fans have been treated to these absurd matches for over a decade now - and long will they continue of people pay to be ripped off. it's a bit like voting Tory in the elections.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Disinterested manager means on 09:10 - Dec 11 with 1201 viewswkj

IHonestly, I think it's becoming very very clear how important KVY is for us, same situation as last year, when we're lacking on the right we're playing really poorly. I realise the left could be described in this way also, but good left footed left wingers are harder to find than good right footed right wingers, besides, Garbutt isn't doing all that bad of a job there.

I hope that Freddy's return will lift the squad, he's clearly a highly regarded player amoungst his peers and despite getting a bit of flak on here, one of the only players consistent with his work rate.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Disinterested manager means on 09:14 - Dec 11 with 1171 viewsHerbivore

Most of the fans there last night seemed to me to be day trippers rather than die hards. I saw about three regular ST holders around me, most of the rest were acting like they'd never been to a football match before.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More to the point on 09:14 - Dec 11 with 1175 viewsReuser_is_God

More to the point on 08:39 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

How come there were only about 6,200 Town fans there for a game in the supposedly beloved FA Cup? Barely more than than we've had for the Leasing Dot Com thing.

Perhaps the players thought the home fans weren't very interested.

I said this to my mates last night.

Given all the moaning about last night you’d have thought people actually cared about it & would’ve gone to the game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Disinterested manager means on 09:18 - Dec 11 with 1158 viewslongtimefan

All good points that make the performance even more concerning!
Login to get fewer ads

Disinterested manager means on 09:26 - Dec 11 with 1132 viewsGuthrum

Disinterested manager means on 09:10 - Dec 11 by ElephantintheRoom

It was a team that had never played before, played like it had never played before - and probably won't play again. There is little point in entering cup competitions if you aren't going to try and win games.... Town fans have been treated to these absurd matches for over a decade now - and long will they continue of people pay to be ripped off. it's a bit like voting Tory in the elections.

Apart from the back-line, that team has pretty much played together during the season. Maybe not quite all at once (given Downes has missed so few games), but certainly in combinations. They ought to know how each other work.

Disinterested manager means on 09:29 - Dec 11 with 1120 viewsGuthrum

Disinterested manager means on 09:10 - Dec 11 by wkj

IHonestly, I think it's becoming very very clear how important KVY is for us, same situation as last year, when we're lacking on the right we're playing really poorly. I realise the left could be described in this way also, but good left footed left wingers are harder to find than good right footed right wingers, besides, Garbutt isn't doing all that bad of a job there.

I hope that Freddy's return will lift the squad, he's clearly a highly regarded player amoungst his peers and despite getting a bit of flak on here, one of the only players consistent with his work rate.

Vincent-Young and Downes are the vital absences, for me. We haven't been so effective since the former got injured and it's no coincidence that the only two League games we lost were without the latter.

With Sears, I'm hoping for some genuine pace and ability to run with the ball wide on the left.

Disinterested manager means on 09:32 - Dec 11 with 1110 viewswkj

Disinterested manager means on 09:29 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Vincent-Young and Downes are the vital absences, for me. We haven't been so effective since the former got injured and it's no coincidence that the only two League games we lost were without the latter.

With Sears, I'm hoping for some genuine pace and ability to run with the ball wide on the left.

Indeed, if we're not effective feeding the ball through the middle, we absolutely need that magic on the wing. If Paul is going to tinker any more, I am almost ready to say take a punt on Kenlock at LB with Garbutt in front, at least until Sears and/or KVY return.

Crybaby

Disinterested manager means on 09:35 - Dec 11 with 1082 viewsHerbivore

Disinterested manager means on 09:26 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Apart from the back-line, that team has pretty much played together during the season. Maybe not quite all at once (given Downes has missed so few games), but certainly in combinations. They ought to know how each other work.

I do wonder how many times we've started the exact same line up this season.

Disinterested manager means on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 1084 viewsGuthrum

Disinterested manager means on 09:32 - Dec 11 by wkj

Indeed, if we're not effective feeding the ball through the middle, we absolutely need that magic on the wing. If Paul is going to tinker any more, I am almost ready to say take a punt on Kenlock at LB with Garbutt in front, at least until Sears and/or KVY return.

There's something to be said for a straight 4-4-2. Kenlock and Garbutt on the left, Donacien and Edwards on the right, Downes and Nolan or Judge in the middle and two up top.

Disinterested manager means on 09:39 - Dec 11 with 1078 viewswkj

Disinterested manager means on 09:37 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

There's something to be said for a straight 4-4-2. Kenlock and Garbutt on the left, Donacien and Edwards on the right, Downes and Nolan or Judge in the middle and two up top.

At this stage a back to basics 442 could well be what the doctor ordered. It is a pretty unsexy formation for the masses, but at this stage the sexiness needs to be our league finish.

Crybaby

Disinterested manager means on 09:41 - Dec 11 with 1068 viewsGuthrum

Disinterested manager means on 09:35 - Dec 11 by Herbivore

I do wonder how many times we've started the exact same line up this season.

Shouldn't think very many (don't have time to look now). But that's kind of Lambert's point. You have to have a larger group of players who are all used to working together. Otherwise everything falls to pieces if one key man gets injured/suspended (or at least makes that less likely).
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 9:42]

Disinterested manager means on 09:42 - Dec 11 with 1057 viewsPJH

Disinterested manager means on 09:39 - Dec 11 by wkj

At this stage a back to basics 442 could well be what the doctor ordered. It is a pretty unsexy formation for the masses, but at this stage the sexiness needs to be our league finish.

The sexiness needs to be scoring more than one goal in a game on a regular basis because two or more goals will win you a lot of matches in the third division.

Results, as always, more important than how you get them.
Disinterested manager means on 09:43 - Dec 11 with 1045 viewsHerbivore

Disinterested manager means on 09:41 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Shouldn't think very many (don't have time to look now). But that's kind of Lambert's point. You have to have a larger group of players who are all used to working together. Otherwise everything falls to pieces if one key man gets injured/suspended (or at least makes that less likely).
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 9:42]

Although if you have a clear system and style of play it's far easier to rotate one or two in and out of the team. We're not just changing personnel (usually several) every game but we're changing shape constantly too. It's not really working and it's hardly a surprise, how many sides have success changing team and system every week?

Disinterested manager means on 09:43 - Dec 11 with 1050 viewschicoazul

Uninterested, not disinterested.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Disinterested manager means on 09:44 - Dec 11 with 1047 viewswkj

Disinterested manager means on 09:42 - Dec 11 by PJH

The sexiness needs to be scoring more than one goal in a game on a regular basis because two or more goals will win you a lot of matches in the third division.

Results, as always, more important than how you get them.

Farbeit for me to disagree with a legend of the support base. How would you select the team currently?

Crybaby

Disinterested manager means on 09:49 - Dec 11 with 1035 viewsDarth_Koont

Disinterested manager means on 09:43 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Uninterested, not disinterested.

Actually both work. Disinterested can also mean uninterested now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Disinterested manager means on 09:52 - Dec 11 with 1025 viewsPJH

Disinterested manager means on 09:44 - Dec 11 by wkj

Farbeit for me to disagree with a legend of the support base. How would you select the team currently?

That is an interesting question.

I would certainly have two upfront but not sure which two-Freddie Sears fit and firing would be nice.

I think that you have got to have a settled formation and wherever possible a settled side because that is the logical way to get consistency in performance and (good) results.

I would not have Edwards anywhere near a starting first team but in doing that you get limited for natural wide players.

Not certain who I would have in goal but most likely Norris.

Wolf and Downes just about the only certain starters although Chambo as well I suppose.

So the initial problem would be deciding on a starting team but hopefully that team would win a game or two which would leave little reason to change it.

Next question.
Disinterested manager means on 09:59 - Dec 11 with 1001 viewschicoazul

Disinterested manager means on 09:49 - Dec 11 by Darth_Koont

Actually both work. Disinterested can also mean uninterested now.

Now as in, since you just said it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Disinterested manager means on 10:12 - Dec 11 with 985 viewsDarth_Koont

Disinterested manager means on 09:59 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Now as in, since you just said it?

No, for a while.

Language reflects usage not the whims of anally retentive pedants.

Disinterested manager means on 10:13 - Dec 11 with 980 viewschicoazul

Disinterested manager means on 10:12 - Dec 11 by Darth_Koont

No, for a while.

Language reflects usage not the whims of anally retentive pedants.

Surely if one word has 2 possible meanings and one word has only one, it would be best to use the latter not the former? Or is that pedantic.

Disinterested manager means on 10:18 - Dec 11 with 969 viewsDarth_Koont

Disinterested manager means on 10:13 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Surely if one word has 2 possible meanings and one word has only one, it would be best to use the latter not the former? Or is that pedantic.

Do what you want. That's the beauty of language and how it evolves.

I'd say if you mean disinterested and not uninterested then use that. Otherwise, chill mate.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 10:38]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024