Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Licence Fee 14:41 - Dec 9 with 2097 viewsGuthrum

'How long can you justify a system whereby everybody who has a TV has to pay to fund a particular set of TV and radio channels?'

As long as is necessary to protect public service broadcasting, minority content and quality programming (especially radio). Also to defend it from commercial and political interference.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Licence Fee on 14:48 - Dec 9 with 1716 viewsBrixtonBlue

Well said. I love the Beeb. Radio 6 music has always been great but my GF has got me into Radio 4 now as well. I never knew how good Desert Island Disks was until fairly recently.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Licence Fee on 14:50 - Dec 9 with 1707 viewsgiant_stow

Yet another example of how dangerous this man is.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2019 14:51]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Licence Fee on 14:55 - Dec 9 with 1688 viewsSwansea_Blue

Licence Fee on 14:50 - Dec 9 by giant_stow

Yet another example of how dangerous this man is.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2019 14:51]

Guthers is ok, you leave him alone

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Licence Fee on 14:59 - Dec 9 with 1670 viewsSomethingBlue

Deflected nicely from the day's biggest issue though, didn't it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Licence Fee on 15:01 - Dec 9 with 1662 viewswkj

I fear that BBC Radio 4 would be cut if it was a case of commercial radio. I genuinely love the dramas, comedy and clever people chat on there.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Licence Fee on 15:04 - Dec 9 with 1644 viewsvapour_trail

Licence Fee on 14:59 - Dec 9 by SomethingBlue

Exactly.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Licence Fee on 15:07 - Dec 9 with 1634 viewsSomethingBlue

Licence Fee on 15:04 - Dec 9 by vapour_trail

Exactly.

They will — rightly — be extremely worried about what happened in that interview.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Licence Fee on 15:10 - Dec 9 with 1624 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sears' return to fitness?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Licence Fee on 15:17 - Dec 9 with 1600 viewsvapour_trail

Licence Fee on 15:07 - Dec 9 by SomethingBlue

They will — rightly — be extremely worried about what happened in that interview.

Probably. Still don’t think it’ll cut through.

Games up.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Licence Fee on 15:18 - Dec 9 with 1594 viewsDanTheMan

This the thing where he took the guys phone?

That was bizarre.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Licence Fee on 16:36 - Dec 9 with 1504 viewsBrianTablet

And what's the alternative.... you pay a subscription, get sh*ite programmes AND you get adverts?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Licence Fee on 16:41 - Dec 9 with 1483 viewsBluesquid

The BBC is great!

Licence Fee on 17:21 - Dec 9 with 1439 viewschicoazul

A few things on that.

You don't have to pay a licence fee to own and use a TV. You only need one if you fall under a particular category of user.

If the BBC were to go subscription-only for TV I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. In fact it could be very good (although i would want to have access to *everything*). I use the BBC extensively and personally would have no problem continuing to pay, and it would almost definitely become the biggest streaming service in the country at its' current price. Several people feel otherwise.

How that would work from the perspective of Radio & online I dont know but perhaps there could be a very small levy on Netflix, Prime, BBC etc subscribers to pay for BBC Radio & online to continue to exist.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Licence Fee on 17:37 - Dec 9 with 1407 viewsGuthrum

Licence Fee on 17:21 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

A few things on that.

You don't have to pay a licence fee to own and use a TV. You only need one if you fall under a particular category of user.

If the BBC were to go subscription-only for TV I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. In fact it could be very good (although i would want to have access to *everything*). I use the BBC extensively and personally would have no problem continuing to pay, and it would almost definitely become the biggest streaming service in the country at its' current price. Several people feel otherwise.

How that would work from the perspective of Radio & online I dont know but perhaps there could be a very small levy on Netflix, Prime, BBC etc subscribers to pay for BBC Radio & online to continue to exist.

What happens when the subscription is considerably higher than the current licence fee, thus putting it beyond the reach of the least well off? Especially as, at least initially, many people would refuse to subscribe on the grounds "it should be free", "I have Sky/Virgin", or "it's biased".

Licence Fee on 17:40 - Dec 9 with 1401 viewschicoazul

Licence Fee on 17:37 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

What happens when the subscription is considerably higher than the current licence fee, thus putting it beyond the reach of the least well off? Especially as, at least initially, many people would refuse to subscribe on the grounds "it should be free", "I have Sky/Virgin", or "it's biased".

I don't understand your point. That would make it too expensive full stop, subscription or not. £14 a month or whatever it is, is well within most people's means.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Licence Fee on 17:44 - Dec 9 with 1389 viewsGuthrum

Licence Fee on 16:41 - Dec 9 by Bluesquid

The BBC is great!

That clip was accurate analysis, at that particular moment. For a brief time, it looked as if Saddam's regime had been relatively easily overthrown and the populace were rejoicing. It took a couple of weeks for the situation to begin dissolving into chaos and violence (especially after the insane decision to summarily dissmiss the entire army and civil service).

Licence Fee on 17:51 - Dec 9 with 1355 viewsGuthrum

Licence Fee on 17:40 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

I don't understand your point. That would make it too expensive full stop, subscription or not. £14 a month or whatever it is, is well within most people's means.

If the licence fee is abolished, then BBC has to be funded by subscriptions. Unless there is an almost universal take-up (which I think unlikely, at least initially), there will be a considerable shortfall if at the current rate of £14 per month. Which would require either a drastic cut in service, or a significant increase in the subscription fee.

Licence Fee on 17:55 - Dec 9 with 1337 viewschicoazul

Licence Fee on 17:51 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

If the licence fee is abolished, then BBC has to be funded by subscriptions. Unless there is an almost universal take-up (which I think unlikely, at least initially), there will be a considerable shortfall if at the current rate of £14 per month. Which would require either a drastic cut in service, or a significant increase in the subscription fee.

If it does go to subscription it will definitely not exist in its' current form, nor should it. No more BBC 1 2 3 or 4.

Licence Fee on 18:06 - Dec 9 with 1315 viewsGuthrum

Licence Fee on 17:55 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

If it does go to subscription it will definitely not exist in its' current form, nor should it. No more BBC 1 2 3 or 4.

So it will be demolished. I think radio will be one of the first bits to go, especially regional.

Licence Fee on 18:07 - Dec 9 with 1311 viewschicoazul

Licence Fee on 18:06 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

So it will be demolished. I think radio will be one of the first bits to go, especially regional.

Not demolished. Changed.

Don't get me wrong btw. I dont like the idea much either and would much rather it stay as it is. But change is in the wind on this topic.

Licence Fee on 18:11 - Dec 9 with 1303 viewsEdwardStone

Licence Fee on 17:51 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

If the cut in service was to get rid of shoite like that execrable "World on Fire" that was on sunday evenings I would be extremely happy

Oh, and they could trim the bloated salaries of Huw Edwards, Laura Deutschland and that tongue tied cheery lass who tries to present the local news in these parts
Licence Fee on 18:17 - Dec 9 with 1288 viewsfooters

For a party apparently interested in the defence of our nation, what the Tories seem to be forgetting is the role the BBC has played in terms of soft power for decades. The World Service has been completely decimated by this Tory government; and only now is another scheme being set up to monitor media in other countries, something which also used to be undertaken by the BBC.

What Cumming has planned is a completely free market society, where everything has its price and nothing is sacred. And yet some people still trust them on the NHS.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Licence Fee on 18:32 - Dec 9 with 1268 viewsGuthrum

Licence Fee on 18:07 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

Not demolished. Changed.

Don't get me wrong btw. I dont like the idea much either and would much rather it stay as it is. But change is in the wind on this topic.

I suspect political revenge may also have something to do with it. Remember, the BBC is a refuge of lefty Europhiles*.

* Unless you're a lefty. Then it's furiously right wing and gives too much air-time to Brexiteers.

Licence Fee on 18:33 - Dec 9 with 1260 viewshampstead_blue

What a conundrum.
How to fund the BBC.

I'll pay my licence fee, with pleasure.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Licence Fee on 18:34 - Dec 9 with 1255 viewshampstead_blue

Licence Fee on 14:48 - Dec 9 by BrixtonBlue

Well said. I love the Beeb. Radio 6 music has always been great but my GF has got me into Radio 4 now as well. I never knew how good Desert Island Disks was until fairly recently.

You could leave R4 on all day, save Keaveny. The 9am programs are a delight.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024