Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) 09:47 - Dec 7 with 729 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/07/oceans-losing-oxygen-at-unpr

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:09 - Dec 7 with 696 viewsNthQldITFC

I think most of us know deep down that we are killing ourselves and almost everything else on the planet. Some of us actually do something about it, some of us just get depressed about it, some of us say we know better.

Most of us find it too big a thing to think about and hope that it will go away, even as the evidence mounts of the incompatability of increasing human population multiplied by increasing 'standard of living' within a finite world.

It is blindingly obvious that that equation results in ever increasing destruction to a point of no return, yet still we are obsessed with economic growth and global trade in cheap, disposable crap.

What a moronic species we are.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:23 - Dec 7 with 688 viewsbluelagos

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:09 - Dec 7 by NthQldITFC

I think most of us know deep down that we are killing ourselves and almost everything else on the planet. Some of us actually do something about it, some of us just get depressed about it, some of us say we know better.

Most of us find it too big a thing to think about and hope that it will go away, even as the evidence mounts of the incompatability of increasing human population multiplied by increasing 'standard of living' within a finite world.

It is blindingly obvious that that equation results in ever increasing destruction to a point of no return, yet still we are obsessed with economic growth and global trade in cheap, disposable crap.

And 97% of us support political parties that seemingly do sfa to address it.

Lots of talk about getting Brexit done and protecting our NHS, antisemitism and austerity. Not an awful lot about the environment imho.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:36 - Dec 7 with 677 viewsNthQldITFC

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:23 - Dec 7 by bluelagos

And 97% of us support political parties that seemingly do sfa to address it.

Lots of talk about getting Brexit done and protecting our NHS, antisemitism and austerity. Not an awful lot about the environment imho.

I've actually been *slightly* encouraged this time round by more focus on environmental issues in this campaign, thanks mainly to the yoof influence I think, but talk is cheap, and it certainly looks like it's WAY too late to just be talking.

I wonder what effect a truly radical Green party within a PR system would have now given the growing awareness of the populace?

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:40 - Dec 7 with 673 viewsWeWereZombies

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:09 - Dec 7 by NthQldITFC

I think that is a little pessimistic, there could be a silver lining in that if yet another species to become extinct soon are the humans then the remaining species have a better chance of survival and the World can slowly heal over the coming millennia...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:46 - Dec 7 with 661 viewseireblue

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:36 - Dec 7 by NthQldITFC

I've actually been *slightly* encouraged this time round by more focus on environmental issues in this campaign, thanks mainly to the yoof influence I think, but talk is cheap, and it certainly looks like it's WAY too late to just be talking.

I wonder what effect a truly radical Green party within a PR system would have now given the growing awareness of the populace?

Not only do you need PR, but also a media that give the same amount of air time to Green politicians, rather than spivs in pubs banging on about immigrants.

That also seems to be changing, but only slightly, and too slowly.
You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:47 - Dec 7 with 660 viewsbluelagos

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:36 - Dec 7 by NthQldITFC

They poll far better in the Euros where a PR of sorts applies. Every chance under PR they'd be in double figures and every chance they could hold the balance of power.

Not going to happen of course the red and blue tribes put self interest ahead of democracy. Always have.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 11:51 - Dec 7 with 627 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It has all been blindingly obvious since I had the ability to read and think.....donkeys led by donkeys!

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 11:55 - Dec 7 with 622 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:47 - Dec 7 by bluelagos

They poll far better in the Euros where a PR of sorts applies. Every chance under PR they'd be in double figures and every chance they could hold the balance of power.

Not going to happen of course the red and blue tribes put self interest ahead of democracy. Always have.

You know what ..... I may as well have an ineffectual vote for the Greens rather than Labour.

Login to get fewer ads

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 12:05 - Dec 7 with 614 viewsRyorry

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 11:55 - Dec 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

You know what ..... I may as well have an ineffectual vote for the Greens rather than Labour.

Thing is, it wouldn't actually be "ineffectual" if everyone who felt the same as you, incl all disaffected moderates from every party, floating voters, currently politically homeless etc. - did the same as you ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 12:06 - Dec 7 with 612 viewsEdwardStone

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:46 - Dec 7 by eireblue

Not only do you need PR, but also a media that give the same amount of air time to Green politicians, rather than spivs in pubs banging on about immigrants.

Well, exactly this

Somehow the thoughts and musings of Chairman Nige of Brexit PLC seem to get a disproportional amount of coverage; the thoughts and policies of the rather wonderful Sian Berry....not so much

Even papers like the Guardian seem to be enthralled by the unprincipled old fraud

For the life of me I cannot understand why
You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 12:16 - Dec 7 with 607 viewsRyorry

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 10:46 - Dec 7 by eireblue

I suspect that people out there, incl. politicians globally, behave rather like I do as an individual with LastMinute-itis - ie tend not to get round to doing things till the very last moment when it becomes bleedin obvious you can no longer get away with putting it off. So, having to write the essay in the next 4 hours as it's due in tomorrow, cleaning/tidying the house *now* as the mother-in-law is coming this afternoon, etc etc. ...

Always remember this article... on 12:18 - Dec 7 with 598 viewsunstableblue

... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/21/yachtsman-describes-horror-a

I think Climate and Global Warming is the primary issue, but over population, pollution, deforestation, habitat/species extinction and plundering natural resources needs to be tackled.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Always remember this article... on 12:32 - Dec 7 with 588 viewsNthQldITFC

Always remember this article... on 12:18 - Dec 7 by unstableblue

... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/21/yachtsman-describes-horror-a

I think Climate and Global Warming is the primary issue, but over population, pollution, deforestation, habitat/species extinction and plundering natural resources needs to be tackled.

I know that's only one sailor's arguably subjective report, but the picture it paints (as many other personal reports do) is one of frighteningly rapid change, and in my layman's opinion, highly likely snowballing imminent collapse of more and more ecosystems, because the driving factors are getting worse not better.

As to your comment, I'm not sure whether I could say which is the primary issue (obviously they are all heavily interconnected), but over-population is certainly one of the biggest driving forces behind all of them. It HAS to be openly discussed IMMEDIATELY for there to be any hope of mitigation, imho.

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 13:55 - Dec 7 with 568 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 12:05 - Dec 7 by Ryorry

Thing is, it wouldn't actually be "ineffectual" if everyone who felt the same as you, incl all disaffected moderates from every party, floating voters, currently politically homeless etc. - did the same as you ...

Have you been to Central Suffolk/Ipswich North?

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 13:57 - Dec 7 with 563 viewsWD19

What we need is a jolly good war. Thin things out a bit.
You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 15:37 - Dec 7 with 538 viewsRyorry

You reap what you sow....let's hear it for the human race (part xxxx) on 13:55 - Dec 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Have you been to Central Suffolk/Ipswich North?

Is that majority even bigger than the blue's 20K where I live then? In any case, I suspect that if everyone who felt in their hearts & brains that Greens are the best option voted accordingly, everything could be overturned.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 15:38]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024