Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? 17:52 - Dec 6 with 1597 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:06 - Dec 6 with 1341 viewsjeera

If those voting 'yes' could just jot down their details...

Or at least a username so we know.

Ta in advance.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:28 - Dec 6 with 1302 viewsmonytowbray

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:06 - Dec 6 by jeera

Ta in advance.

To be fair, has a TWTD poll ever been taken seriously?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:30 - Dec 6 with 1299 viewsElephantintheRoom

Erm they are in the dictionary so I presume they do. If you are referring to lazy journalism by our lazy PM pandering to his right wing audience... than maybe they do there too. Surely it's more important to consider whether being a compulsive liar who thinks nothing of breaking the law whilst wrecking the country's economy is a suitable candidate to be PM? And unfortunately according to a democractic vote of tory party loons the answer is yes there too.

Hopefully the general election might wipe the smug grin off his posturing face.... but given the herd mentality when its time to vote - i doubt it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:34 - Dec 6 with 1287 viewsFtnfwest

With the latter particularly when used as part of a speech defending people’s right to wear whatever they want to
Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:39 - Dec 6 with 1278 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:28 - Dec 6 by monytowbray

To be fair, has a TWTD poll ever been taken seriously?

That's a new poll altogether.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:40 - Dec 6 with 1274 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:30 - Dec 6 by ElephantintheRoom

Erm they are in the dictionary so I presume they do. If you are referring to lazy journalism by our lazy PM pandering to his right wing audience... than maybe they do there too. Surely it's more important to consider whether being a compulsive liar who thinks nothing of breaking the law whilst wrecking the country's economy is a suitable candidate to be PM? And unfortunately according to a democractic vote of tory party loons the answer is yes there too.

Hopefully the general election might wipe the smug grin off his posturing face.... but given the herd mentality when its time to vote - i doubt it.

You know exactly what I mean.

The options are laid out clearly.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:41 - Dec 6 with 1270 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:34 - Dec 6 by Ftnfwest

With the latter particularly when used as part of a speech defending people’s right to wear whatever they want to

No Xmas jumpers.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:47 - Dec 6 with 1244 viewsFtnfwest

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:41 - Dec 6 by jeera

No Xmas jumpers.

Well I haven’t got one...humbug!
Login to get fewer ads

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:50 - Dec 6 with 1238 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:47 - Dec 6 by Ftnfwest

Well I haven’t got one...humbug!

Then at least you're not polluting the waters.

Greta would approve.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:01 - Dec 6 with 1216 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:06 - Dec 6 by jeera

Ta in advance.

I voted yes. Both are in the dicshunerry.

Piccaninnes is used as a place name.
Letterboxes are needed to post letters, to places such as Piccaninnie Ponds Conservation Park in South Australia

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:02 - Dec 6 with 1211 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:40 - Dec 6 by jeera

You know exactly what I mean.

The options are laid out clearly.

Don’t blame us for your duff questions!

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:03 - Dec 6 with 1210 viewsBLUEGOLD

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:34 - Dec 6 by Ftnfwest

Of course he is a defender of women’s rights isn’t he!!!

Except of course he used the phrase letterbox as a dog whistle to the racists that he was appealing to. He had no need to use that phrase did he.

A nasty piece of work.

Proven liar, racist, misogynist and homophobe.
Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:06 - Dec 6 with 1201 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:03 - Dec 6 by BLUEGOLD

Of course he is a defender of women’s rights isn’t he!!!

Except of course he used the phrase letterbox as a dog whistle to the racists that he was appealing to. He had no need to use that phrase did he.

A nasty piece of work.

Proven liar, racist, misogynist and homophobe.

Bit harsh on jeera, even if the question was rubbish

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:11 - Dec 6 with 1195 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:06 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

Bit harsh on jeera, even if the question was rubbish

That's the first time I have ever given 3 down-votes to anyone ever!

Let alone to someone I like.

Now go back and review.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:37 - Dec 6 with 1169 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:11 - Dec 6 by jeera

Now go back and review.

If you’d asked ‘should a person who uses these terms to slur people because of their race and faith be kicked hard in the bollox, repeatedly’ the answer would have been yes.

They have no place in the context BJ used them, obviously (hopefully it’s obvious, you should do a poll )

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:43 - Dec 6 with 1150 viewsJ2BLUE

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:11 - Dec 6 by jeera

Now go back and review.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 20:39 - Dec 6 with 1085 viewsfactual_blue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 19:02 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

Don’t blame us for your duff questions!

We can, however, blame you for needless pedantry.

#potkettleblack

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 00:19 - Dec 7 with 1033 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:30 - Dec 6 by ElephantintheRoom

Ridiculous reply.

There are many racist, homophobic, misogynistic, anti-Islamic and anti-Semitic terms you will find in the dictionary. A dictionary gives definitions of words, not a list of what is and isn't acceptable to use.

The fact there are a significant proportion of people who think they are acceptable (presumably in the context used too) is truly depressing. It is almost like the argument over the Nsiala song that people were still trying to justify even after the Kick It Out response to the same song for Lukaku was drawn to their attention and the derivation of the phrase was pointed out.

Haters gonna hate.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 01:01 - Dec 7 with 1012 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 20:39 - Dec 6 by factual_blue

We can, however, blame you for needless pedantry.

#potkettleblack

I am still learning that society can be measured in many ways.

One apparently, is between those of us who like Crunchie bars..

. and those of us who are in some way in touch with our taste buds..

and taste in general.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 01:46 - Dec 7 with 998 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 18:50 - Dec 6 by jeera

Then at least you're not polluting the waters.

Greta would approve.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're disagreeing with here Harry.

[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 1:55]

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 12:47 - Dec 7 with 887 viewsChondzoresk

So, I can’t use the word letterbox now.
“My Xmas cards will be posted in the red upright construction for mail at the end of my road”.
Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 13:18 - Dec 7 with 869 viewsHARRY10

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 12:47 - Dec 7 by Chondzoresk

“My Xmas cards will be posted in the red upright construction for mail at the end of my road”.

"the red upright construction for mail at the end of my road”"

I expect that will appear in the Daily Mail soon as an EU threat to rename postboxes.

As to the above I remember some bigot complaining in the pub that you can't even say the word n*gg** any more - and was quite struck when a teenage girl replied with "when would you feel the need to use that word ?"

So what was Johnson's intent behind the use of those words ?
Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 13:33 - Dec 7 with 853 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 12:47 - Dec 7 by Chondzoresk

I'll assume you're taking the piss.

Now how about offering some feedback on the context I mean Mr Clever Clogs?

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 13:35 - Dec 7 with 849 viewsjeera

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 13:18 - Dec 7 by HARRY10

"the red upright construction for mail at the end of my road”"

I expect that will appear in the Daily Mail soon as an EU threat to rename postboxes.

As to the above I remember some bigot complaining in the pub that you can't even say the word n*gg** any more - and was quite struck when a teenage girl replied with "when would you feel the need to use that word ?"

So what was Johnson's intent behind the use of those words ?

All joking aside, the poll is shockingly close.

And that's even allowing for Swanners' deliberate awkwardness.

Do terms such as 'Piccaninnie' and 'Letterbox' have a place in our country? on 15:50 - Dec 7 with 810 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Of course that red upright construction is a post box and not a letter box. You will deliver your cards by hand if you put them through letterboxes. You know what the meaning is behind the poll even if the phraseology is not perfect.

Do you think the term "letterbox" to describe a woman wearing a hijab is acceptable? Is the other term? (Merriam Webster describes it as dated, now offensive https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pickaninny while OED also describes it as offensive: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/piccaninny please explain why these terms are acceptable if you think they are.)

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024