Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. 17:46 - Dec 6 with 2841 viewsmonytowbray

That JLM document is fairly damning if true and I think it’s in the best interests of Labour voters to ensure there is a proper investigation and those people responsible are removed.

However the other part of me is struggling to understand how a man who has protested endlessly his entire life against discrimination is somehow leading a charge of mass anti-Semitism and why anyone would release such a document a week before an election when it will pretty much give the Tories the dictatorship they want for 5 years.

There also seems to be people who have no issues with Johnson and his previous comments who want to push this. You don’t get to pick and choose when discrimination is bad or when it’s fine.

I feel as someone who identifies as an anti-fascist we should speak about the allegations and not ignore it. It’s challenging when there is so much more on the table with current Labour party rifts to say there aren’t other potential factors in play. Corbyn has had every smear imaginable thrown at him in the last few years, many of which turned out to be untrue.

There has been a push from the centre to say the left wing has an anti-Semitism issue in general, yet if this were true I would have expected to have heard at least a little bit myself from my immediate and wider social circles, and I’ve heard none ever. Blurring the line between anti-Semitism and bring critical of the Israeli government is not the same I should add, as this is something I have seen done.

I’ve always felt the one most redeeming feature left wing politics has is when we find out someone or something is not as claimed we admit fault, abandon it for something better aligned or push back.

I’m a firm believer in taking victim claims and discriminatory allegations seriously so you can see why I’m conflicted here. There is literal written and video evidence of the likes of Trump, Farage and Johnson saying considerably toxic things yet people are fine to ignore it, yet I feel concerned just posting this as I’ve already had a few people on Twitter claim having any opinion other than the the most straight forward black and white one makes me a part of the problem.

I’m just trying to have a reasonable discussion, honestly. It’s all a bit confusing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 12:54 - Dec 7 with 254 viewsDarth_Koont

Totally agree with the gist of your post.

Re: the JLM document most of which I've had to look at much closer over the past year or two. There is an investigation by the EHRC. And it seems most of these have been addressed by the Labour Party before.

These are the accusations and in many cases they are correctly pointing out antisemitism where the accused has no defence and is likely expelled from the party.

But after these cases is where the debate comes in. And where those accused and implicated e.g. Corbyn himself need to be heard when they don't accept how incidents have been characterised by the JLM.

And listened to when they disagree with how much of this is Labour antisemitism. For example, no-one listened when people were saying that death threats that Luciana Berger received were from neo-Nazis and before Corbyn even came in. Or that given the threat assessment she was given police protection outside the Labour Conference not inside. Or the lazy acceptance that her CLP must have been against her because she was Jewish rather than an MP who they thought was representing them poorly. Accusing the party and members of hounding out Jewish MPs or allowing them to be abused because of their Jewishness needs looking at seriously and soberly - and I fear that just hasn't been allowed to happen.

None of this excuses antisemitism or denies it. Where it is seen it needs to be dealt with, no question. But this way of presenting facts and taking the accusation as read is extremely dangerous for the truth and for the many people smeared by this. They deserve better. And ultimately so does the Jewish community that is being protected. Somehow along the way the threat and the fear has been ramped up by accident or by design - and that should be taken very seriously.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024