Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
After a lifetime following town. 11:23 - Dec 4 with 1383 viewsbritbiker

I have supported Town since my Uncle used to take me and I had to stand on a crate to see over the wall. He died young whilst holidaying in Australia. We had rosettes and them bloody awful spinning clacker thingies in those days.

I buried my first dog in my favourite Ipswich scarf when I was a teen and refused to go to my sisters wedding unless they let me wear my scarf. Apparently I was a bit sulky in my punk teens.

When my mum died fairly recently I cleared her house and found a teddy wearing my old shrunken FA cup shirt.

I have had a season ticket in the lower north stand for most if my adult life all bar a period when I played rugby on a saturday. (still remember being in the rugby clubhouse and seeing the man utd nine nil score coming up on the TV. I was too far away to see the actual score but they had spelt nine in brackets so I knew it wasn't going to be good). My view from the lower tier is a bit naff as I don't always know how exactly a goal at the other end has been scored, just that the net has moved so it must have gone in. I could move but I don't because its just what I have always done.

As s tradesman I work in a dusty environment, however I have an inherited lung problem that I manage ok but will not improve with age. I have now been informed both my knees are damaged and will require surgery at some point. Again I'm managing it but again its only going to get worse.

I have another ten years until retirement which is not going to be fun if I get there and can't breath or walk properly.

I sadly have had to make the decision to change jobs with effect from January. I have been offered a good job which I'm sure I can excel at as I have never been one to shirk long hours and studying.

Heres the downer. The job requires me to work five Saturdays out of six. I could probably just get to evening games if I go direct from work.

Knowing this was a possibility I was looking around me at the last game trying to justify my decision. Ok the football has been pretty poor for most of the last decade. But I don't support Town expecting to win every game. I will save on a season ticket. The ticket price isn't actually that bad though. I don't even know many of the people around me, just a knowing nod and grumble that we are all wishing for the same thing. I will.miss meeting mates at the Bull before kick off.

Well that's me. A ticket that doesn't get renewed and someone will assume I have just given up going. I will miss it even though it makes no sense to my wife. Hopefully I will excel at my job and be able to negotiate a couple of extra Saturdays off.

Enjoy your Saturdays as they may be out of your control one day.

[Post edited 4 Dec 2019 11:39]
After a lifetime following town. on 11:26 - Dec 4 with 1328 viewsitfcjoe

Thanks for the story britbiker, a great read and sorry to hear about your health conditions.

Best of luck with your new job, and try and keep coming when you get the opportunity - the club will still be here when you do make retirement in better health that your new job brings!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

After a lifetime following town. on 11:35 - Dec 4 with 1277 viewsbritbiker

After a lifetime following town. on 11:26 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

Thanks for the story britbiker, a great read and sorry to hear about your health conditions.

Best of luck with your new job, and try and keep coming when you get the opportunity - the club will still be here when you do make retirement in better health that your new job brings!

I know it comes over as a bit of 'look at me' but that wasn't intended. It is only football after all. We all have our reasons for supporting Town and I'm certainly no super fan. Its just that I know I'm really going to miss it. I never contemplated that I wouldn't be able to go, its always been in my control. My health is reasonably good all things consdered but I need to change now before I mess it up big time.

And there is also retirement. Just hope Marcus doesn't change the discount again :-)
[Post edited 4 Dec 2019 11:43]
After a lifetime following town. on 11:36 - Dec 4 with 1261 viewschicoazul

Good luck with the new job and your health issues, friend. Up the Town!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

After a lifetime following town. on 11:40 - Dec 4 with 1247 viewsMrTown

A really interesting read, thank you for sharing my friend.

Up the Town!

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

After a lifetime following town. on 11:43 - Dec 4 with 1221 viewsitfcjoe

After a lifetime following town. on 11:35 - Dec 4 by britbiker

I know it comes over as a bit of 'look at me' but that wasn't intended. It is only football after all. We all have our reasons for supporting Town and I'm certainly no super fan. Its just that I know I'm really going to miss it. I never contemplated that I wouldn't be able to go, its always been in my control. My health is reasonably good all things consdered but I need to change now before I mess it up big time.

And there is also retirement. Just hope Marcus doesn't change the discount again :-)
[Post edited 4 Dec 2019 11:43]

I wouldn't say 'look at me' post, we all have our stories and I can't imagine a time when I can't go to Portman Road for all the home games - that day could come but I can't envisage my life without it, no matter how sad that sounds!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

After a lifetime following town. on 11:47 - Dec 4 with 1196 viewsPJH

Good luck with your new job and with your health issues.

Thank you for sharing your story.
After a lifetime following town. on 11:57 - Dec 4 with 1150 viewsjeera

Hopefully just a sabbatical!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

After a lifetime following town. on 12:04 - Dec 4 with 1122 viewsSteve_M

Despite what you will miss it very much sounds as though you've made the right decision for the next few years. Good luck with that and your health.

Hopefully you'll get to more matches than you think you will at the moment; all of us who go to the majority of matches know that sense that missing 'that' match might mean missing one of the two or three matches that makes a season worthwhile.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

After a lifetime following town. on 12:12 - Dec 4 with 1085 viewsclive_baker

Great post Biker! Best of luck in the new job and with the health complications you're dealing with.

Look on the bright side, you'll appreciate those evening matches and TV games etc that little bit more in the future. Plus, the derby will be a Sunday next season ;-)

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

After a lifetime following town. on 12:30 - Dec 4 with 1032 viewsBloomBlue

Good luck.

What I would say is last season I had to miss midweek games because of health reasons plus the travel. Now I'm not sure if it was because it was the Championship or it was a one-off season or the fact I also had to miss a couple of Sat games and confused the situation but there seemed to be more midweek then Sat home games.

You may want to wait until they publish the championship fixtures next season to compare our midweek versus Sat homes games before deciding as you may find you get to see more than you think.

Changing jobs with 10 years left to retirement is a great idea for many reasons but especially as it will give you a new desire.
After a lifetime following town. on 14:02 - Dec 4 with 881 viewscarlisleaway

Britbiker, I sympathise with you as you come across as a normal dedicated Town fan , who has seen a lot of quality over the years but also a load of rubbish. But still we stay with the team and watch some mediocre football
All the very best in whatever decision you make and I am sure you will not miss to many games.

You mentioned the cost of a season ticket and we all know that price is not necessary a reason for staying away as we love the club and badge, we are proud to be called supporters and possibly one day or season we will get payback.

All the very best in your ongoing health issues.
After a lifetime following town. on 14:24 - Dec 4 with 847 viewsPendejo

Good luck

Do you want a sliver of a silver lining?

You will probably enjoying the games you go to more, absence makes the heart grow fonder etc. At least that's my experience. I used to be a season ticket holder and regular away traveler... now normally go to 1 game a month, this season however, only 2 games so far. But I know I'll enjoy the next one all the more for the absence.

This week I returned to 4 on 4 off after 3 months of Mon-Fri...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024