Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like the Facebook ads are up... 08:45 - Dec 3 with 2776 viewsitfcjoe

....just had my Mum saying - "Did you know that that Jeremy Corbyn, why they don't like him, is because he supports that Isis"

"And he refused to meet the Queen"

And a load of other rubbish, when you try and talk back she just says ours are politics are so far different. Because she can only transmit and not receive.

Went to show me the thing on her friends Facebook, but it had been removed - when I said it is because it is a load of rubbish she said it wouldn't have been on there in the first place if it was.....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:48 - Dec 3 with 2076 viewsmo_itfc

The reality of democracy!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:51 - Dec 3 with 2059 viewsHerbivore

It's totally depressing. Our parents' generation don't really understand the whole fake news thing, they still tend to generally think that if something is out in the public domain it is probably true, especially if it chimes with what they already believe.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:54 - Dec 3 with 2050 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:51 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

It's totally depressing. Our parents' generation don't really understand the whole fake news thing, they still tend to generally think that if something is out in the public domain it is probably true, especially if it chimes with what they already believe.

Amazingly my Dad was saying he is going to vote for the Greens so there is some hope out there.

Neither will be able to do anything to stop Therese Coffey getting re-elected anyway

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:57 - Dec 3 with 2038 viewshomer_123

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:54 - Dec 3 by itfcjoe

Amazingly my Dad was saying he is going to vote for the Greens so there is some hope out there.

Neither will be able to do anything to stop Therese Coffey getting re-elected anyway

That was based on advert for Kale though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:00 - Dec 3 with 2032 viewsJimmyJazz

It's weird how it works. I have Lib Dem feeds that I can briefly see when I refresh my news page, then they disappear as if the logic says - oh yeah this guy doesn't support the Lib Dems.

A friend of mine, rather annoyingly, reposts anything anti-Labour / Corbyn and Facebook decided to hide his posts from my news feed.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:00 - Dec 3 with 2041 viewsGuthrum

There are generations in this country who were brought up and taught to trust what was on the radio and TV (because it was the BBC), even newspapers (which, altho partisan, had an editorial process). There are also younger generations who were educated solely to pass exams for school league tables, rather then to think for themselves.

They are now exposed to a pretty much entirely unregulated information source - the internet - for which they utterly lack the intellectual equipment to analyse and assess the reliability of what they're seeing and are often classifying it as having the same veracity as the Ten O'Clock News. It's not because they're stupid, nor is it their fault, they've just never been taught how to handle something like that.

Much like someone getting in a car for the first time, but with no instructor beside them, just some basic hints about how to start the thing and make it go.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:04]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:13 - Dec 3 with 1990 viewsBrianTablet

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:57 - Dec 3 by homer_123

That was based on advert for Kale though.

We're signing Ngolo Kalé? Yahooooooooooo!

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:16 - Dec 3 with 1982 viewsIPS_wich

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:00 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

There are generations in this country who were brought up and taught to trust what was on the radio and TV (because it was the BBC), even newspapers (which, altho partisan, had an editorial process). There are also younger generations who were educated solely to pass exams for school league tables, rather then to think for themselves.

They are now exposed to a pretty much entirely unregulated information source - the internet - for which they utterly lack the intellectual equipment to analyse and assess the reliability of what they're seeing and are often classifying it as having the same veracity as the Ten O'Clock News. It's not because they're stupid, nor is it their fault, they've just never been taught how to handle something like that.

Much like someone getting in a car for the first time, but with no instructor beside them, just some basic hints about how to start the thing and make it go.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:04]

A great analogy...

My Dad started out teaching me to drive. Told me the basics and said that I had to slowly come off the clutch while gently adding some revs. Never mentioned anything about a biting point and to not fully come off the clutch when the car starts moving. All that followed was two hours of kangaroo hopping around Ransoms Europark. He then mentioned that I need to hold the clutch at biting point and hey presto...

It just feels like so many people are so fixated on Brexit that they've not realised that our country is kangaroo hopping down the sh1tter!!

Both main parties are as bad as each other and the electorate just lap it up:

- No Corbyn is not in bed with ISIS...have you not stopped to think about how stupid this sounds?

- No the Tories are not going to privatise the NHS...think about it...the NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world and third largest public sector employer in the world...it's a wealth creator for the Government...sure, there's the odd private clinic dotted around but Labour were encouraging Virgin to run urgent care centres in the 2000s...no political party would be so stupid as to privatise the crown jewels?
Login to get fewer ads

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:18 - Dec 3 with 1971 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:16 - Dec 3 by IPS_wich

A great analogy...

My Dad started out teaching me to drive. Told me the basics and said that I had to slowly come off the clutch while gently adding some revs. Never mentioned anything about a biting point and to not fully come off the clutch when the car starts moving. All that followed was two hours of kangaroo hopping around Ransoms Europark. He then mentioned that I need to hold the clutch at biting point and hey presto...

It just feels like so many people are so fixated on Brexit that they've not realised that our country is kangaroo hopping down the sh1tter!!

Both main parties are as bad as each other and the electorate just lap it up:

- No Corbyn is not in bed with ISIS...have you not stopped to think about how stupid this sounds?

- No the Tories are not going to privatise the NHS...think about it...the NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world and third largest public sector employer in the world...it's a wealth creator for the Government...sure, there's the odd private clinic dotted around but Labour were encouraging Virgin to run urgent care centres in the 2000s...no political party would be so stupid as to privatise the crown jewels?

Congratulations for coming up with the most inventive political metaphor I've ever heard.

"our country is kangaroo hopping down the sh1tter!!"

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:18 - Dec 3 with 1967 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 08:51 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

What's more depressing is that many of our generation don't understand the whole fake news thing either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:21 - Dec 3 with 1962 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Therein lies the problem. Elections are won and lost on social media which just encourages behaviour that isn't helpful.

The system has to change.
Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:26 - Dec 3 with 1930 viewsPinewoodblue

We all know the real reason is because he supports Arsenal

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:27 - Dec 3 with 1924 viewswkj

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:18 - Dec 3 by StokieBlue

What's more depressing is that many of our generation don't understand the whole fake news thing either.

SB

If only they paid more attention to the Coppinger saga, then they'd realise...

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:30 - Dec 3 with 1912 viewsDyland

It would be responsible of the mainstream media to make it consistent front page and headline news, but they aren't responsible either, so hey ho.

Thoroughly irritating.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I liked that bit as well (n/t) on 09:31 - Dec 3 with 1901 viewsDyland

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:18 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

Congratulations for coming up with the most inventive political metaphor I've ever heard.

"our country is kangaroo hopping down the sh1tter!!"

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:33 - Dec 3 with 1891 viewswkj

You should get her a TWTD sign on for Christmas, then she would soon learn a fair and balance account of Jeremy Corbyn.

Crybaby

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:33 - Dec 3 with 1885 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:21 - Dec 3 by PrideOfTheEast

Therein lies the problem. Elections are won and lost on social media which just encourages behaviour that isn't helpful.

The system has to change.

Our system gets more and more like the US 2 party system

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:34 - Dec 3 with 1884 viewsfooters

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:33 - Dec 3 by wkj

You should get her a TWTD sign on for Christmas, then she would soon learn a fair and balance account of Jeremy Corbyn.

TWTD's Mothers day. We all give our dear old mums the use of our logins and they can chat happily away :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:36 - Dec 3 with 1871 viewswkj

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:34 - Dec 3 by footers

TWTD's Mothers day. We all give our dear old mums the use of our logins and they can chat happily away :)

There I was thinking the go-to-gift was a bit of squirt-be-nice

Crybaby

And that's Facebook in a nutshell on 09:40 - Dec 3 with 1858 viewsDyland

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:00 - Dec 3 by JimmyJazz

It's weird how it works. I have Lib Dem feeds that I can briefly see when I refresh my news page, then they disappear as if the logic says - oh yeah this guy doesn't support the Lib Dems.

A friend of mine, rather annoyingly, reposts anything anti-Labour / Corbyn and Facebook decided to hide his posts from my news feed.

Anyone who believes third party "news" feeds or ads on FB should not be allowed to vote. Zuckerberg is a terrible little prick, but is it all his responsibility to ensure people are not ignorant? Sure, he can do more on the security side, but can anyone reasonably expect FB to effectively market themselves as being a platform for misinformation and lies? What's the alternative? "Draconian" regulation? Who watches the watchmen, to quote another current active thread?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:47 - Dec 3 with 1836 viewsartsbossbeard

Woke up on Sunday morning to 7x such adverts.

When you delve deeper, they're sponsored by old mates of BoJo but they have the ability to look like legitimate posts from legitimate companies worried about what a Labour government will do for house owners, buy to let people, pensioners & basically anyone who pays tax.

People are taken in by them.

Interestingly enough, one of my facebook friends shared a Daily Express link around "Labours plan to grab you land and make you pay rent". Horrific scaremongering which I countered on the article itself with a link to the fullfact website which detailed this as the lie that it is.

One of the comments I got back after posting was "go back to the Guardian if you don't like what's posted on here".

Sad times.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:48]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:54 - Dec 3 with 1810 viewswkj

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:47 - Dec 3 by artsbossbeard

When you delve deeper, they're sponsored by old mates of BoJo but they have the ability to look like legitimate posts from legitimate companies worried about what a Labour government will do for house owners, buy to let people, pensioners & basically anyone who pays tax.

Interestingly enough, one of my facebook friends shared a Daily Express link around "Labours plan to grab you land and make you pay rent". Horrific scaremongering which I countered on the article itself with a link to the fullfact website which detailed this as the lie that it is.

One of the comments I got back after posting was "go back to the Guardian if you don't like what's posted on here".

Sad times.

What is more worrying on FB isn't the adds, but the poison that people are reposting from groups because they believe it to be true. Lots of people liking the EU to Nazi Germany.

I get that the EU isn't popular, but this kind of bullocks being eaten up by the bucket load is pretty staggering.

Crybaby

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:57 - Dec 3 with 1790 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:47 - Dec 3 by artsbossbeard

Sad times.

I just don't even bother with FB any more in reality, just an absolute cesspit

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 10:02 - Dec 3 with 1771 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:54 - Dec 3 by wkj

What is more worrying on FB isn't the adds, but the poison that people are reposting from groups because they believe it to be true. Lots of people liking the EU to Nazi Germany.

I get that the EU isn't popular, but this kind of bullocks being eaten up by the bucket load is pretty staggering.

I'm glad I don't go on FB because that's awful.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 10:05 - Dec 3 with 1757 viewsfooters

Looks like the Facebook ads are up... on 09:57 - Dec 3 by itfcjoe

I just don't even bother with FB any more in reality, just an absolute cesspit

Did wonder why you hadn't accepted my Farmville request.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024