Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 08:00 - Nov 27 with 3858 viewsKeaneish

What’s the consensus on the forum at the moment? I was a big critic of him under MM largely because of the way MM utilized him; I always felt he had a lot more to give and should have in that role but the shackles were on. He seemed to take on a new lease of life under Hurst/PL last season until his injury and he started this season really well but of late, he seems to be going backwards and fast.

The last three or four games he’s been largely anonymous. For his ability he should be commanding that midfield every week. My biggest criticism of him is that he never bosses it. Spearing gave a better example of how to run a midfield last weekend than he has recently and last night was disappointing again. In a game where our heads had gone and it needed someone to restore order, get the ball on the deck and get us playing again, it was his time to shine but he disappeared.

Sadly, I think it’s time to look at a different combination. Downes is easily ahead of him now imo.
The balance should be a ball winner, box-to-box player and a creative midfielder.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cole Skuse on 08:01 - Nov 27 with 3057 viewsDubtractor

He was the best of our 3 midfielders last night.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cole Skuse on 08:03 - Nov 27 with 3040 viewsBluefish

The bloke is class but he is wasted at home with 5 at the back.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cole Skuse on 08:13 - Nov 27 with 2999 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 08:01 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

I think that says it all! 😀

Cole Skuse on 08:15 - Nov 27 with 2992 viewsartsbossbeard

His 250th game for Town last night and now is the time to have a pop at him?

If anonymous equates to breaking play up, never giving the ball away, making it easier for your team mates and taking one for the team week in, week out as usual then I make you right.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cole Skuse on 08:16 - Nov 27 with 2984 viewsitfcjoe

Not needed with 3 at the back when they have 1 up front. He should, and is capable of being, an Anchorman who can drop in to help the back 2 as and when required.

It's a waste of a player to have 4 central defensive players not offering anything going forwards - there was no midfield for him to control

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cole Skuse on 08:19 - Nov 27 with 2976 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 08:03 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

If we’re going to play him, I’d rather see him dropping deep to make a third man in defence / carry the ball out and step into that holding role in the middle. Downes and him have similar attributes, Downes being more tenacious but Skuse reads the game exceptionally well.

Something has to give in the center of the park. The balance just isn’t right at the moment. I thought Huws would be the answer. On last night’s showing, sadly not.

Cole Skuse on 08:20 - Nov 27 with 2966 viewschicoazul

Cole Skuse on 08:03 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

He and Downes are far and away our two best in there if we are going to just play two. It's a shame Downes has stalled recently with illness and whatnot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cole Skuse on 08:22 - Nov 27 with 2952 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 08:15 - Nov 27 by artsbossbeard

If anonymous equates to breaking play up, never giving the ball away, making it easier for your team mates and taking one for the team week in, week out as usual then I make you right.

I think you read what you wanted to then just to have a pop at me and churned out old rhetoric from four or five years ago. I’m well versed on Skuse’s role and the positive benefits he brings having played that role for five years at a decent level and come from the same academy as him.

The point is about the midfield balance and whether Skuse should make way soon as Downes is likely everyone’s first pick and they’re similar players.

Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 08:25 - Nov 27 with 2937 viewsartsbossbeard

Cole Skuse on 08:22 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

I think you read what you wanted to then just to have a pop at me and churned out old rhetoric from four or five years ago. I’m well versed on Skuse’s role and the positive benefits he brings having played that role for five years at a decent level and come from the same academy as him.

The point is about the midfield balance and whether Skuse should make way soon as Downes is likely everyone’s first pick and they’re similar players.

I'd have had a pop at anyone who churned out that OP, in fairness.

Downes & Skuse similar players?? Crivens.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cole Skuse on 08:27 - Nov 27 with 2907 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 08:16 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

Not needed with 3 at the back when they have 1 up front. He should, and is capable of being, an Anchorman who can drop in to help the back 2 as and when required.

It's a waste of a player to have 4 central defensive players not offering anything going forwards - there was no midfield for him to control

He’s never really controlled the midfield though. He’s great at sweeping up and reading the passage of play to snuff out danger and occasionally he has another gear. Maybe I just prefer more tenacious midfielders but I think we’re agreeing on the same point, the balance being wrong for him and the midfield in general.

Cole Skuse on 09:06 - Nov 27 with 2827 viewsBluefish

Cole Skuse on 08:25 - Nov 27 by artsbossbeard

I have read that on here a lot and questioned it everytime but it seems to have stuck for them. I think it is because many of them think Downes is Hyam and if you crossed Downes with Hyam you might get something like Skuse

Cole Skuse on 09:12 - Nov 27 with 2820 viewsBiGDonnie

He's sh*t. Always was sh*t for us, and probably will be sh*t moving forward.

Get Dozzer in the holding role with Nolan and Downes just ahead of him.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 09:15 - Nov 27 with 2805 viewsBluefish

Cole Skuse on 09:12 - Nov 27 by BiGDonnie

He's sh*t. Always was sh*t for us, and probably will be sh*t moving forward.

Get Dozzer in the holding role with Nolan and Downes just ahead of him.

Lol you really are a clueless ****

Cole Skuse on 09:23 - Nov 27 with 2790 viewsBiGDonnie

Cole Skuse on 09:15 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

Lol you really are a clueless ****

Shut up you ****

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 09:25 - Nov 27 with 2784 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 08:25 - Nov 27 by artsbossbeard

You don’t think Downes and Skuse are similar types of player? The operative word being “similar”, not “the same”. Crivens indeed. They’re both ball winners. Skuse is a deeper player whereas Downes has it in his locker to get forward more. Think everyone would agree with that.

Everyone at the start of the season touted Downes to be back-up to Skuse and a direct replacement. The only thing that’s different is that Downes has been outstanding and added more to his game.

Why are you so prickly whenever Cole Skuse is debated?
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 12:02]

Cole Skuse on 11:39 - Nov 27 with 2750 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Interesting post.

I have my doubts that Skuse will ever boss a midfield. IMO, he is capable of more, but plays (well) within himself. Following an opponent's run, getting a tackle, block or header in, and playing the simple ball are all well and good, but he could and should do more. He always seeks the safer option for himself, letting others take the responsibility for progressing play. By very rarely running with the ball, seldom attempting the more adventurous pass, hardly ever dropping deep to receive the ball from the keeper or defenders, seldom pushing forward and never shooting, he avoids making personal mistakes, but that does not necessarily help the team.

By way of contrast, Wolfenden shows us how a defensive player can be brave and creative going forward, rather than just sticking to the defensive side of the game. That helps the team far more by committing opponents to close him down when he carries the ball forward, thereby creating space for team mates. Similarly Downes, and Chalobah last season.

The question for me is why does Skuse choose to play safe. Under MM, as you assert, he was probably directed to play safe and let the defenders/keeper go long. However, I think in general he lacks the confidence to be a better player on the ball, and I think he is aware that he lacks pace and quick feet to get himself out of trouble.

If we do go up this season, Skuse will need to be replaced as a starter for next season.
Cole Skuse on 12:55 - Nov 27 with 2701 viewsbraveblue

Cole Skuse on 08:15 - Nov 27 by artsbossbeard

Yes. A goal every 125 games from midfield!! With three at the back he is a luxury. Hardly made a forward pass all night.
Cole Skuse on 13:15 - Nov 27 with 2664 viewsReuser_is_God

Cole Skuse on 11:39 - Nov 27 by FrankfurtBlue

Interesting post.

I have my doubts that Skuse will ever boss a midfield. IMO, he is capable of more, but plays (well) within himself. Following an opponent's run, getting a tackle, block or header in, and playing the simple ball are all well and good, but he could and should do more. He always seeks the safer option for himself, letting others take the responsibility for progressing play. By very rarely running with the ball, seldom attempting the more adventurous pass, hardly ever dropping deep to receive the ball from the keeper or defenders, seldom pushing forward and never shooting, he avoids making personal mistakes, but that does not necessarily help the team.

By way of contrast, Wolfenden shows us how a defensive player can be brave and creative going forward, rather than just sticking to the defensive side of the game. That helps the team far more by committing opponents to close him down when he carries the ball forward, thereby creating space for team mates. Similarly Downes, and Chalobah last season.

The question for me is why does Skuse choose to play safe. Under MM, as you assert, he was probably directed to play safe and let the defenders/keeper go long. However, I think in general he lacks the confidence to be a better player on the ball, and I think he is aware that he lacks pace and quick feet to get himself out of trouble.

If we do go up this season, Skuse will need to be replaced as a starter for next season.

Yeah, agree with pretty much all of that.

'hardly ever dropping deep to receive the ball from the keeper or defenders'

The above statement is incorrect though, he does get the ball off of the defence but the issue is he just gives it straight back to them rather than looking for a fellow midfielder or a full back with a different angle.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cole Skuse on 13:23 - Nov 27 with 2642 viewsmrshallisfit

Cole Skuse on 08:22 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

The way he played Saturday he should be first on the team sheet for me.
Cole Skuse on 13:43 - Nov 27 with 2609 viewspowinswitch

Dont think you will get a consensus and I dont know that one is necessary.

The fulcrum of the team has to be the centre of midfield. As somebody has highlighted Skuse regularly abdicates responsibility when taking the ball from a defender by playing a wall pass back to them. I also find that he slows our play down, by regularly taking two touches rather than looking to play a first time ball. He rarely carries the ball forward, and commits an opposition player.

These are all things I feel Downes can do, and is why I believe he is a better option, particularly as he can break the opposition up. Not yet as well as Skuse I agree, but he will improve. I also think you should not look to pair Skuse and Downes at Portman Road, where the onus is on us to break down the opposition. We have struggled too often at home to create sufficient chances, and I believe that central midfield engine room is the basis of the problem.

When we finally pair a decent attacking option with either Skuse or Downes (I would definitely go for the latter), then I think we will start to play decently. By the by, I thought we did well first half last night, and I thought Cole had a decent enough game. He has also had a fairly decent season in that defensive midfielder role. As has Downes, but we cannot perform well (IMO) when both play together. I would suggest the performances have generally not matched the results.
Cole Skuse on 15:06 - Nov 27 with 2545 viewsThatMuhrenCross

You're wrong.

He was excellent last night, as was Huws and Nolan. I really liked them as a trio.

I was disappointed with Norwood and Jackson. They had numerous chances but neither could hit a barn door with a banjo last night.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Cole Skuse on 15:08 - Nov 27 with 2539 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 08:01 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

Really? Christ.....
Cole Skuse on 15:13 - Nov 27 with 2518 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 13:43 - Nov 27 by powinswitch

The fulcrum of the team has to be the centre of midfield. As somebody has highlighted Skuse regularly abdicates responsibility when taking the ball from a defender by playing a wall pass back to them. I also find that he slows our play down, by regularly taking two touches rather than looking to play a first time ball. He rarely carries the ball forward, and commits an opposition player.

These are all things I feel Downes can do, and is why I believe he is a better option, particularly as he can break the opposition up. Not yet as well as Skuse I agree, but he will improve. I also think you should not look to pair Skuse and Downes at Portman Road, where the onus is on us to break down the opposition. We have struggled too often at home to create sufficient chances, and I believe that central midfield engine room is the basis of the problem.

When we finally pair a decent attacking option with either Skuse or Downes (I would definitely go for the latter), then I think we will start to play decently. By the by, I thought we did well first half last night, and I thought Cole had a decent enough game. He has also had a fairly decent season in that defensive midfielder role. As has Downes, but we cannot perform well (IMO) when both play together. I would suggest the performances have generally not matched the results.

100% BANG ON CORRECT.

Top comments.
Cole Skuse on 15:17 - Nov 27 with 2503 viewsjaykay

Cole Skuse on 13:15 - Nov 27 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah, agree with pretty much all of that.

'hardly ever dropping deep to receive the ball from the keeper or defenders'

The above statement is incorrect though, he does get the ball off of the defence but the issue is he just gives it straight back to them rather than looking for a fellow midfielder or a full back with a different angle.

this was my issue under mick and now lambert. you should give the ball back to the defence till your midfield marker gets tired of marking you tight .when they drop off its the time to turn and look for the forward pass. but we carry on playing the ball back to where it came from.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Cole Skuse on 15:33 - Nov 27 with 2462 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 13:43 - Nov 27 by powinswitch

The conversation has been ongoing for about 4 years so you're right, a consensus will not be reached any time soon. I agree with a lot of what you and Frankfurt Blue have said and have been saying as much for a long time.

I actually think Downes and Skuse put in some good performances together this season but the difference is very noticeable when Skuse doesn't have Downes next to him and vice-versa. In my opinion, Skuse's lesser games have been without Downes and the midfield has had more dynamism when Skuse has been out.

Take the point about comparisons when playing at home versus playing away but should they both start at home? Away, let's not change it, we're flying but at home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024