Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, 22:00 - Nov 26 with 4746 viewsSamWhiteUK

when the linesman didn't flag in the first instance?

Never understood that.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:02 - Nov 26 with 4727 viewsIllinoisblue

the ref needs to officially explain why it was disallowed.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:19 - Nov 26 with 4615 viewsCheltenham_Blue

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:02 - Nov 26 by Illinoisblue

the ref needs to officially explain why it was disallowed.

Watching the clips, they appealed for a handball, their keeper went sprinting to the Lineo.
If that's it, I fail to see how he had a view of it at all.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 22:20]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:20 - Nov 26 with 4606 viewsTrequartista

It's called "getting your stories straight"

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:21 - Nov 26 with 4575 viewsHullblue

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:19 - Nov 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Watching the clips, they appealed for a handball, their keeper went sprinting to the Lineo.
If that's it, I fail to see how he had a view of it at all.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 22:20]

I thought it was for handball too. They can’t have been sure because it took them about 20 minutes to make the decision - and if you’re not sure, isn’t the advantage supposed to go with the attacking team? Or is that one of those football myths?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:54 - Nov 26 with 4437 viewsrunaround

The linesman didn’t flag until speaking with the ref then flagged after the ref signalled no goal so surely that means they think it’s offside which it quite clearly isn’t. Just an awful awful decision in our most important game of the season so far 😡
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:00 - Nov 26 with 4392 viewsSuffolktractor

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:54 - Nov 26 by runaround

The linesman didn’t flag until speaking with the ref then flagged after the ref signalled no goal so surely that means they think it’s offside which it quite clearly isn’t. Just an awful awful decision in our most important game of the season so far 😡

The goal was given, the Lino didn’t flag for offside or a foul. The Wycombe players appeal for handball, the ref talks in his mike to some imaginary being, then goes to the Lino who obviously had seen nothing wrong with the goal or he would have flagged and drawn the ref over. They decide to disallow the goal so the Lino then puts his flag up for offside, which by the way it wasn’t.
Not just for that, but that ref should never be allowed near a football ground again.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:04 - Nov 26 with 4348 viewsJakeITFC

Think their thought process is that the linesman thought Jackson was in an offside position but hadn’t touched it, and the ref has said he thought he’d touched it so was asking the Lino if he was offside.

As it happens they were both wrong, but that’s what we came to expect tonight.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:11 - Nov 26 with 4321 viewslongtimefan

The goal was disallowed for offside as evidenced by the assistant raising his flag once he’d finished his discussion with the ref. It’s not a particularly elegant process and hugely frustrating but they have followed the guidance to officials correctly. Assistants are told not to flag immediately if they are unsure whether the player in the offside position has touched the ball and to confer with the ref. I would imagine the assistant was shouting in his mic straight away but the ref probably couldn’t hear him over the cheering. The fact that the assistant hadn’t run back up the line also indicates he wasn’t happy. Mind you I’m not convinced that Jackson wasn’t actually level when the ball left Chamber’s head.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 14:35]
Login to get fewer ads

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:12 - Nov 26 with 4305 viewspointofblue

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:11 - Nov 26 by longtimefan

The goal was disallowed for offside as evidenced by the assistant raising his flag once he’d finished his discussion with the ref. It’s not a particularly elegant process and hugely frustrating but they have followed the guidance to officials correctly. Assistants are told not to flag immediately if they are unsure whether the player in the offside position has touched the ball and to confer with the ref. I would imagine the assistant was shouting in his mic straight away but the ref probably couldn’t hear him over the cheering. The fact that the assistant hadn’t run back up the line also indicates he wasn’t happy. Mind you I’m not convinced that Jackson wasn’t actually level when the ball left Chamber’s head.

I disagree - firstly I think those laws are only in place for VAR, where the decision can be reviewed and reversed via TV replays. Secondly, even if that was the case, there was nothing stopping the assistant referee raising the flag the moment the ball hit the back of the net.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:16 - Nov 26 with 4275 viewslongtimefan

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:12 - Nov 26 by pointofblue

I disagree - firstly I think those laws are only in place for VAR, where the decision can be reviewed and reversed via TV replays. Secondly, even if that was the case, there was nothing stopping the assistant referee raising the flag the moment the ball hit the back of the net.

Sorry you are wrong. Assistant is asked not to flag if he is unsure whether the player in offside has touched the ball or interfered. Nothing to do with VAR
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:19 - Nov 26 with 4250 viewsSuffolktractor

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:16 - Nov 26 by longtimefan

Sorry you are wrong. Assistant is asked not to flag if he is unsure whether the player in offside has touched the ball or interfered. Nothing to do with VAR

So are you saying he was unsure whether Jackson was offside when the ball hit the back of the net, but a minute later he became sure? Cos I’m not sure I understand your point.
Either way they got it wrong cos it was an own goal.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:21 - Nov 26 with 4232 viewssparks

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:19 - Nov 26 by Suffolktractor

So are you saying he was unsure whether Jackson was offside when the ball hit the back of the net, but a minute later he became sure? Cos I’m not sure I understand your point.
Either way they got it wrong cos it was an own goal.

Presumably he didnt flag because he didnt know if jackson had touched the ball. Ref comes over- and confirms that he believes there was a touch- asks the linesman if Jackson was, in that case, offside...

Sometimes they might get it right...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:23 - Nov 26 with 4199 viewsSuffolktractor

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:21 - Nov 26 by sparks

Presumably he didnt flag because he didnt know if jackson had touched the ball. Ref comes over- and confirms that he believes there was a touch- asks the linesman if Jackson was, in that case, offside...

So we are getting somewhere now. The linesman didn’t really get it wrong, but the ref most certainly did as he did with most things tonight!
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:24 - Nov 26 with 4192 viewspointofblue

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:16 - Nov 26 by longtimefan

So what happened next? The Wycombe players surrounded the referee, who seemingly had given a goal, and suddenly the decision was reversed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:25 - Nov 26 with 4184 viewslongtimefan

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:21 - Nov 26 by sparks

Correct. Personally i thought the ball hit both defender and Jackson but I’m not totally convinced he was actually offside when Chambers heads it.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 06:45 - Nov 27 with 3955 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Have a day off.

The ref took a minute to decide Jackson may have got a touch?

If he thought that he’d have gone straight over to the assistant to confer.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 07:26 - Nov 27 with 3780 viewsSamWhiteUK

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 06:45 - Nov 27 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Have a day off.

The ref took a minute to decide Jackson may have got a touch?

If he thought that he’d have gone straight over to the assistant to confer.

Exactly. The Wycombe players' antics turned his head, I feel.
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 07:53 - Nov 27 with 3710 viewsbraveblue

All because they surrounded him. Norwood slowly approached the lino and gets banned for a game. Ref should be forced to explain. Saying the comms were not working is nonsense. If offside why was the flag not up?
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 08:52 - Nov 27 with 3609 viewsBlue_In_Boston

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 22:21 - Nov 26 by Hullblue

I thought it was for handball too. They can’t have been sure because it took them about 20 minutes to make the decision - and if you’re not sure, isn’t the advantage supposed to go with the attacking team? Or is that one of those football myths?

Surely with VAR you have seen that it never gives the advantage to the attacking team? Goals disallowed for fingernail being in offside position
How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 09:10 - Nov 27 with 3580 viewssparks

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:24 - Nov 26 by pointofblue

So what happened next? The Wycombe players surrounded the referee, who seemingly had given a goal, and suddenly the decision was reversed.

When did he give the goal? The highlights suggest otherwise. He whistled but was not pointing towards the centre. He then goes off screen.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 09:28 - Nov 27 with 3502 viewsflimflam

How can the ref go to the lino, and then rule out a goal for offside, on 23:11 - Nov 26 by longtimefan

If the linesman was 100% happy it was a good goal like you say he would of ran back to the halfway line to indicate as much.

I noticed instantly he had not so knew something was going to happen and I initially thought it was for handball as from my angle could not see it hit the defender on the way through.

Watching back on the Roger Mellie it is an awful decision from both officials.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024