Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGoldrick (n/t) 08:12 - Nov 22 with 6995 viewsSwailsey

Says he was told the club wanted to go “in a different direction” and that Ipswich released him.

Oh the Football Daily. Interesting...and in hindsight another mistake (IMO). Although perhaps a change is what reinvigorated him.

(Also I won’t do this weird FD update every day)
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 8:14]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:20 - Nov 22 with 6221 viewsitfcjoe

He was our highest paid player and we couldn't keep him fit - we both needed a change and it has worked out better for him than us!

He was on trial at Sheff U for a couple of weeks before they gave him a 1 or 2 year deal on a free transfer and no doubt a big wage drop from what he'd been on here - great that it has worked out for him so well as was a player I loved watching

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:21 - Nov 22 with 6201 viewsGarv

I think he wanted to go in a different direction himself anyway, i.e up north.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:22 - Nov 22 with 6184 viewsSwailsey

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:20 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

He was our highest paid player and we couldn't keep him fit - we both needed a change and it has worked out better for him than us!

He was on trial at Sheff U for a couple of weeks before they gave him a 1 or 2 year deal on a free transfer and no doubt a big wage drop from what he'd been on here - great that it has worked out for him so well as was a player I loved watching

I totally understand why, I think I just assumed it was driven by him. Can’t remember where I got that thought from. Interesting that we weren’t even prepared to discuss it with him apparently.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:26 - Nov 22 with 6153 viewsDubtractor

I'd always thought that, much like the long held understanding the Berra was going back to Hearts, McGoldrick was always going to look to move closer to Nottingham when his contract was up? That was the often mentioned def info on here.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:27 - Nov 22 with 6127 viewshampstead_blue

Sometimes a change is the best for all.

His injury record tells me his heart wasn't in it.
I'm sure he has not been 100% all the time at Sheff. He had just run his course with us.

A shame we didn't get more from him. He is a wonderfully gifted player and the type we should be looking to sign.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:29 - Nov 22 with 6102 viewsSwailsey

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:27 - Nov 22 by hampstead_blue

Sometimes a change is the best for all.

His injury record tells me his heart wasn't in it.
I'm sure he has not been 100% all the time at Sheff. He had just run his course with us.

A shame we didn't get more from him. He is a wonderfully gifted player and the type we should be looking to sign.

I broadly agree, but I’m not sure that getting your ballsack split open and then pulling another muscle means your heart isn’t in it!

I imagine it was perhaps the commute/*potential* shortcomings with our rehab at the time which may have done it.

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:32 - Nov 22 with 6061 viewsWD19

He was our highest earner, the club was losing £6m per year and the fanbase was agitating to 'play the youth'. That the club wanted to 'go in a different direction' (ie. Have focus on lower paid, youth products) is not exactly a newsflash.

There is no right/wrong here, but as others have said, it has worked out nicely for him.
McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:35 - Nov 22 with 6041 viewsSwailsey

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:32 - Nov 22 by WD19

He was our highest earner, the club was losing £6m per year and the fanbase was agitating to 'play the youth'. That the club wanted to 'go in a different direction' (ie. Have focus on lower paid, youth products) is not exactly a newsflash.

There is no right/wrong here, but as others have said, it has worked out nicely for him.

It didn’t QUITE work out for us though did it..
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 8:43]

Login to get fewer ads

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:37 - Nov 22 with 6038 viewsKieran_Knows

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:32 - Nov 22 by WD19

'That the club wanted to 'go in a different direction' (ie. Have focus on lower paid, youth products) is not exactly a newsflash.'

Someone should've told Paul Hurst about us wanting to down the youth player route then.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:45 - Nov 22 with 5981 viewsSWGF

I am genuinely happy that he got to play in the Prem given the rebuffal of the Leicester offer which HAD to have an effect on him.
Such a lovely, natural footballer.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:04 - Nov 22 with 5806 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

One of the best natural footballers we have had at PR in ages. That 2013/14 season he was unplayable.

It was right for him to move on, now he is arguably Sheff United's best player, and I am happy for him and Happy to see Sheffield United doing well.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:12 - Nov 22 with 5746 viewshampstead_blue

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:29 - Nov 22 by Swailsey

I broadly agree, but I’m not sure that getting your ballsack split open and then pulling another muscle means your heart isn’t in it!

I imagine it was perhaps the commute/*potential* shortcomings with our rehab at the time which may have done it.

The context behind the comment of 'heart not in it' was alluding to that a poor mental state aggravates pain.
It's proven that low mood increases and sometimes causes the nervous system to become agitated.

A small niggle can become more.

That's the context behind the comment.
I do agree that he had a couple of proper injuries but sometimes...

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:18 - Nov 22 with 5712 viewstextbackup

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:21 - Nov 22 by Garv

I think he wanted to go in a different direction himself anyway, i.e up north.

to be near family..... which is strange as he always seemed to be enjoying his Ipswich Saturday nights out and the freedom that gave him, from what I see

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:55 - Nov 22 with 5587 viewsSouperJim

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:12 - Nov 22 by hampstead_blue

The context behind the comment of 'heart not in it' was alluding to that a poor mental state aggravates pain.
It's proven that low mood increases and sometimes causes the nervous system to become agitated.

A small niggle can become more.

That's the context behind the comment.
I do agree that he had a couple of proper injuries but sometimes...

Playing dull negative football also causes low mood in talented attacking players like McGoldrick. See Brett Pitman.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

McGoldrick (n/t) on 10:29 - Nov 22 with 5452 viewsmonty_radio

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:55 - Nov 22 by SouperJim

Playing dull negative football also causes low mood in talented attacking players like McGoldrick. See Brett Pitman.

How we wasted him!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

McGoldrick (n/t) on 10:39 - Nov 22 with 5407 views26_Paz

At the time I thought releasing him was the right thing to do ... on big money, never fit etc.
With hindsight maybe should have kept him but I think this is one of the few mistakes you can't really blame the club hierarchy for ...

The Paz Man

McGoldrick (n/t) on 12:20 - Nov 22 with 5182 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

McGoldrick (n/t) on 09:55 - Nov 22 by SouperJim

Very odd that McGoldrick continued to extend his contract under McCarthy and then left just after he did, if he hated his football so much

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

McGoldrick (n/t) on 12:24 - Nov 22 with 5157 viewsPhilTWTD

McGoldrick (n/t) on 08:20 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

Indeed, he wasn't offered terms here, or anywhere else as far as I'm aware. A scout I know who works for the Blades suggested getting him in for a trial on the strength of what he'd seen of him here, and the rest is history.
McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:23 - Nov 22 with 4855 viewsWickets

McGoldrick (n/t) on 12:20 - Nov 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Very odd that McGoldrick continued to extend his contract under McCarthy and then left just after he did, if he hated his football so much

TBH i tend to think at around Christmas time that season it would have been very short odds on either of them staying at Town . I think most players supported Mick untill the end, why would they not they are pro footballers but i am sure many of them would have been happier to play their football more on the front foot and i think several have since said just that . I also noted that John Walters said that on TV the other night regards the Irish team .
McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:24 - Nov 22 with 4849 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:23 - Nov 22 by Wickets

TBH i tend to think at around Christmas time that season it would have been very short odds on either of them staying at Town . I think most players supported Mick untill the end, why would they not they are pro footballers but i am sure many of them would have been happier to play their football more on the front foot and i think several have since said just that . I also noted that John Walters said that on TV the other night regards the Irish team .

The last bit was tongue in cheek, I think it was clearly the end here for McGoldrick regardless but he certainly wouldn’t have been here for as long as he was if he hated playing for McCarthy that much

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:52 - Nov 22 with 4794 viewsMullet

McGoldrick (n/t) on 12:24 - Nov 22 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, he wasn't offered terms here, or anywhere else as far as I'm aware. A scout I know who works for the Blades suggested getting him in for a trial on the strength of what he'd seen of him here, and the rest is history.

Hurst was adamant in his first interview post ITFC that McG never appeared on any lists or accounts he was given. That ME essentially erased him from the wage bill and records.

Given the rest of the interview was a propaganda exercise to get him another job, it could be a total fabrication or another soft soaping, but he was very hung up on it.

Regardless, it's obvious that Evans and Hurst ensured we lurched into the "different direction".

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 22 with 4788 viewsPhilTWTD

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:52 - Nov 22 by Mullet

Hurst was adamant in his first interview post ITFC that McG never appeared on any lists or accounts he was given. That ME essentially erased him from the wage bill and records.

Given the rest of the interview was a propaganda exercise to get him another job, it could be a total fabrication or another soft soaping, but he was very hung up on it.

Regardless, it's obvious that Evans and Hurst ensured we lurched into the "different direction".

He said the same when he was here. McGoldrick was released at the end of the previous season. From what I remember, with Mick having departed, it was Marcus who told him he wouldn't be offered new terms.
McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:59 - Nov 22 with 4762 viewsKieran_Knows

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:52 - Nov 22 by Mullet

Shame Hurst didn't get the memo (as per my earlier post).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McGoldrick (n/t) on 16:02 - Nov 22 with 4754 viewsMullet

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:59 - Nov 22 by Kieran_Knows

Shame Hurst didn't get the memo (as per my earlier post).

It's a bigger shame fans didn't long before that. Or that Hurst ever came here, let alone the way he was backed well after it became apparent he'd ruined us.

Whenever our first transfer window in the Championship is, we'll know fairly quickly if Evans is still the same or if he's learnt.

McGoldrick (n/t) on 16:18 - Nov 22 with 4710 viewsMullet

McGoldrick (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 22 by PhilTWTD

He said the same when he was here. McGoldrick was released at the end of the previous season. From what I remember, with Mick having departed, it was Marcus who told him he wouldn't be offered new terms.

Did he say in interview Evans had cut McG's wages from the budget and not replaced them?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024