Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most important thing is the league ! 08:59 - Nov 19 with 1051 viewsWickets

I just hate that phrase .For me the most important thing on any given day is the game we are playing .I don't care if it is a cup game or if it is a league game or even a u23's match when that Ipswich team go on to the pitch that is what should be upper most on those players minds , win this game. Paul Lambert has done lots of good things since he has been our manager and has my full support but failure to install this sort of mindset could well stop us from getting to where we want this club to be . Just my thoughts anyone anything to add ?
The most important thing is the league ! on 09:08 - Nov 19 with 1023 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Agree to an extent. The FA Cup we should go for every year, it is a proper trophy. Carabao cup is still ok at least you can get a big day out and the leasing is just complete nonsense.

With regards to the saying itself it annoys me because we have been focusing on the league for 11 years. Next year realistically I think we will be in a battle towards the bottom so people will be saying lets focus on staying up. Lets go for the FA cup, we wont win it, but we might draw a Tottenham away in the new stadium, imagine how fun that would be.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The most important thing is the league ! on 09:19 - Nov 19 with 1009 viewsSteve_M

The league is the most important thing. Get promoted this season and we can have some choice over who need to sell, stay in this division and we have to cut costs further, the enthusiasm and positivity off the pitch disappears again and there is a risk we're stuck for five or six years.

I think with the squad we have that we could make more effort in the FA Cup than we are. Winning a few cup ties and getting some momentum from that is enjoyable in it's own right, indeed the narrow defeat to Liverpool in 1992 probably helped convince some of those players that they could compete in the Premier League. We need to get promoted this season though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The most important thing is the league ! on 09:27 - Nov 19 with 996 viewsmonty_radio

The most important thing is the league ! on 09:19 - Nov 19 by Steve_M

The league is the most important thing. Get promoted this season and we can have some choice over who need to sell, stay in this division and we have to cut costs further, the enthusiasm and positivity off the pitch disappears again and there is a risk we're stuck for five or six years.

I think with the squad we have that we could make more effort in the FA Cup than we are. Winning a few cup ties and getting some momentum from that is enjoyable in it's own right, indeed the narrow defeat to Liverpool in 1992 probably helped convince some of those players that they could compete in the Premier League. We need to get promoted this season though.

So what those two paragraphs amount to Steve is: we must concentrate on the league this year; but a run in the F.A. Cup is a good thing.

Our decade of saving ourselves for the next big game isn't garlanded with success.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The most important thing is the league ! on 09:44 - Nov 19 with 970 viewsGuthrum

Part of the issue is the lack of a proper, competitive (senior) Reserves competition any more.

There is no mechanism to give second-string and returning players game-time which will actually stretch them and get them up to speed for the first team. So the cup competitions have become that by default. When else do you give those men a run-out?

It's also fuelling the push for second teams to be allowed into the League, U21s in the League Trophy and so on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:14 - Nov 19 with 935 viewsWickets

I think my point is being missed somewhat .I really believe its a mindset thing if a player or players or even other squad menbers go into a game with the thought in his head,that this game does not matter so much the chances are that team will lose . I do not think any loss particularly a loss to a team seen as inferior to us can possible help in any way . I think in these, lesser games if you like, the will to win and the need to approach the game and to give 100% for the team has to be the same as i think the will to win just cannot be switched on and off . I worry that this the present thinking at town might bite us in the bum . I think we rarely seem to do well after losing a cup game or after an internation break, hopefully to can correct that in the next few days, Pl has said he is not superstitious and i'm not either but i dont think that our often poor form after these matches is down to that .
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 10:16]
The most important thing is the league ! on 10:19 - Nov 19 with 925 viewsWickets

The most important thing is the league ! on 09:44 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

Part of the issue is the lack of a proper, competitive (senior) Reserves competition any more.

There is no mechanism to give second-string and returning players game-time which will actually stretch them and get them up to speed for the first team. So the cup competitions have become that by default. When else do you give those men a run-out?

It's also fuelling the push for second teams to be allowed into the League, U21s in the League Trophy and so on.

I agree with what you say but is our poor form that we so often show in these matches just down to team selection ?
The most important thing is the league ! on 10:24 - Nov 19 with 921 viewsGuthrum

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:14 - Nov 19 by Wickets

I think my point is being missed somewhat .I really believe its a mindset thing if a player or players or even other squad menbers go into a game with the thought in his head,that this game does not matter so much the chances are that team will lose . I do not think any loss particularly a loss to a team seen as inferior to us can possible help in any way . I think in these, lesser games if you like, the will to win and the need to approach the game and to give 100% for the team has to be the same as i think the will to win just cannot be switched on and off . I worry that this the present thinking at town might bite us in the bum . I think we rarely seem to do well after losing a cup game or after an internation break, hopefully to can correct that in the next few days, Pl has said he is not superstitious and i'm not either but i dont think that our often poor form after these matches is down to that .

Do they actually go into games with that mindset of them not being so important? It is important not to confuse being unable to win with not being bothered about doing so.

Indeed, it is crucial for the more fringe players coming in to make the best impression possible and to win - it is their showcase for forcing a way into the first team.

Perhaps it is the fans' automatic denigration of our second-string players as being so rubbish it's the equivalent of throwing the competition which is not helping the morale of those teams (and thus their ability to win)? Declarations that "we must be ignoring the cup because the manager has brought all the sh1t players in" rather than taking it as a chance to see how well our reserves can do (and despite the fact than many of those are the names fans have been calling for to get into the squad or to come off the bench - e.g. Dozzell, Dobra and Georgiou).

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:28 - Nov 19 with 914 viewsGuthrum

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:19 - Nov 19 by Wickets

I agree with what you say but is our poor form that we so often show in these matches just down to team selection ?

Quite possibly. In the ultra-competitive world of making it as a professional footballer, you aren't going to get anywhere (except out of the door) by not trying your utmost with every opportunity.

Login to get fewer ads

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:29 - Nov 19 with 913 viewsSikamikanico

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:14 - Nov 19 by Wickets

I agree with Lambert's view on the cup games this season, especially the Leasing.com trophy matches.

The only slightly disappointing line up was v Lincoln in the FA Cup, but this was only because we did not have a league game after that game until 23rd.

Do you really think the player's don't go out there with the intention of playing their socks off and giving Lambert something to consider for league games?
The most important thing is the league ! on 10:51 - Nov 19 with 898 viewsWickets

As i have said i dont think its anything to do with the line ups , No argument with the team that has been used, i would prefer a little bit stronger side in the fa cup but thats another issue, I think most players go into games wanting to give their best but think their is a negative subconscious vibe in lesser games that for me needs to change . One of our top players has just said in what he meant to be a positive interview 'i know the league is more important two days before a cup game !
The most important thing is the league ! on 11:37 - Nov 19 with 858 viewsSikamikanico

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:51 - Nov 19 by Wickets

As i have said i dont think its anything to do with the line ups , No argument with the team that has been used, i would prefer a little bit stronger side in the fa cup but thats another issue, I think most players go into games wanting to give their best but think their is a negative subconscious vibe in lesser games that for me needs to change . One of our top players has just said in what he meant to be a positive interview 'i know the league is more important two days before a cup game !

Do you realise you are overreacting to an offhand comment in an interview that is correct?
The most important thing is the league ! on 11:56 - Nov 19 with 850 viewsWickets

No its not just that comment but years of under performing and getting beaten by teams from lower leagues that i am reacting to .
Good points on 12:05 - Nov 19 with 834 viewsDyland

The most important thing is the league ! on 10:24 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

Do they actually go into games with that mindset of them not being so important? It is important not to confuse being unable to win with not being bothered about doing so.

Indeed, it is crucial for the more fringe players coming in to make the best impression possible and to win - it is their showcase for forcing a way into the first team.

Perhaps it is the fans' automatic denigration of our second-string players as being so rubbish it's the equivalent of throwing the competition which is not helping the morale of those teams (and thus their ability to win)? Declarations that "we must be ignoring the cup because the manager has brought all the sh1t players in" rather than taking it as a chance to see how well our reserves can do (and despite the fact than many of those are the names fans have been calling for to get into the squad or to come off the bench - e.g. Dozzell, Dobra and Georgiou).

Especially "... and despite the fact than many of those are the names fans have been calling for to get into the squad or to come off the bench"

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The most important thing is the league ! on 12:16 - Nov 19 with 824 viewsJ2BLUE

The league is the most important, that is a fact. With that said, i'd happily see us bin off the FA Cup in order to take the FL Trophy seriously. I know it's tin pot but we're 4 games from Wembley and we haven't had anything to celebrate for nearly two decades.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The most important thing is the league ! on 12:24 - Nov 19 with 814 viewsSikamikanico

The most important thing is the league ! on 11:56 - Nov 19 by Wickets

No its not just that comment but years of under performing and getting beaten by teams from lower leagues that i am reacting to .

so you are overreacting. You should look to separate the current regime from the one before it maybe?

Unless you blame the current managerial set up for the last 10 years?
The most important thing is the league ! on 17:01 - Nov 19 with 715 viewsmonty_radio

Allowing for a moment that the sort of teams we field in cup games do indeed contain exactly some of the players that people have been calling for e.g. Dozzell and Huws together, I think that when we witness their often toothless displays that the issue of formation might play a part in this.

Lambert, like other Town managers before him insists that players win games, not formations. The fact that football fans the world over, and Town are no exception, can name a side that achieved for them in times past suggests otherwise, that formation does play its part. Whether we make 3/4 changes or 10 each time the formation is different. There's no "slotting in". Indeed, an individual player may very well be asked to occupy a different role from his last appearance, and not infrequently, on the other side of the pitch. The success of Jackson and Norwood together also indicates the merit of familiarity as well as the value of how they shape up in tandem.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 21:54]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The most important thing is the league ! on 17:40 - Nov 19 with 693 viewsWickets

The most important thing is the league ! on 12:24 - Nov 19 by Sikamikanico

so you are overreacting. You should look to separate the current regime from the one before it maybe?

Unless you blame the current managerial set up for the last 10 years?

No to think that i might be blaming Pl for the last 10 years is just silly as i think i said i support PL but think some things are not right as yet or similar. I really hope your right and i am overreacting and that we win tomorrow and go on to the Blackpool game in the right frame of mind .I will take that all day long .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024