Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK 16:24 - Nov 18 with 1653 viewsSteve_M

And how government policy has an effect.

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/why-it-acceptable-kill-someone-mysterious-h

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:41 - Nov 18 with 1628 viewsDyland

"The narrative was that these cameras were just there so councils could extract cash from the poor public."

One of my many bugbears. If the cameras are hidden or not well signed, then this is an argument. Otherwise it's bollix, and how many times have people been caught by a camera they did not clock? Opens up another argument about lack of awareness and it really is tough sh1t on the driver.

Speed cameras prevent drivers including myself from speeding. Fewer drivers speeding results in fewer accidents and deaths. This is demonstrably true.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:42 - Nov 18 with 1614 viewsStokieBlue

I certainly think it's right that policy can have an effect although I am not sure about the final conclusion around decline. The main point that there are too many deaths is certainly a good one though.

It assumes the trend would have continued ad-infinitum even though something like placing cameras would have diminishing returns the longer the process went on as the worst spots would be covered first - that would likely flatten the trend at some point anyway. I don't think the entire flattening can be pinned on government policy changes.

On a slight tangent, there is also an alleged correlation between the end of daylight savings times and traffic accidents. This is apparently due to a number of people missing out on an hours sleep and being tired when driving the next morning.

SB
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 16:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:46 - Nov 18 with 1598 viewsfactual_blue

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:41 - Nov 18 by Dyland

"The narrative was that these cameras were just there so councils could extract cash from the poor public."

One of my many bugbears. If the cameras are hidden or not well signed, then this is an argument. Otherwise it's bollix, and how many times have people been caught by a camera they did not clock? Opens up another argument about lack of awareness and it really is tough sh1t on the driver.

Speed cameras prevent drivers including myself from speeding. Fewer drivers speeding results in fewer accidents and deaths. This is demonstrably true.

Quite. I see speeding fines as a tax on stupidity.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:53 - Nov 18 with 1593 viewsDyland

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:46 - Nov 18 by factual_blue

Quite. I see speeding fines as a tax on stupidity.

Aye, and I'm with stupid. I'm better than I used to be but I still struggle not to speed in 70mph limits. I know, I know. Last time I was on the M11 I tried to stick to 60/65, and ended up undertaking people who were sat in the middle lane. So ended up doing between 75 and 85 in the correct lane to get past and back in to accommodate idiots doing 90+. I'm not blaming other sh1t drivers for my speeding of course, I'm responsible for these choices.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 18:10 - Nov 18 with 1551 viewsfactual_blue

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:53 - Nov 18 by Dyland

Aye, and I'm with stupid. I'm better than I used to be but I still struggle not to speed in 70mph limits. I know, I know. Last time I was on the M11 I tried to stick to 60/65, and ended up undertaking people who were sat in the middle lane. So ended up doing between 75 and 85 in the correct lane to get past and back in to accommodate idiots doing 90+. I'm not blaming other sh1t drivers for my speeding of course, I'm responsible for these choices.

There are a number of situations where undertaking is permissible.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/undertaking/

And it isn't - ipso facto - an offence.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 18:11]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 18:37 - Nov 18 with 1540 viewsjaykay

its also a good job labour introduced the breath test and made all cars have seat belts.otherwise the death rate would have been much more.
dam commies

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 18:43 - Nov 18 with 1532 viewsDarth_Koont

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 18:10 - Nov 18 by factual_blue

There are a number of situations where undertaking is permissible.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/undertaking/

And it isn't - ipso facto - an offence.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 18:11]

If you were done for drink-driving it would be a dipso facto offence.

Pronouns: He/Him

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 17:07 - Dec 17 with 1268 viewshandsomebob9

“Eight months later, on April 1, Oxfordshire’s cells came back to life when the council reversed its decision because the number of deaths on county roads immediately increased.” Do not flatter yourself with such decisions - fines are primarily money in the treasury of the government
Login to get fewer ads

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 17:16 - Dec 17 with 1249 viewsRadlett_blue

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 16:42 - Nov 18 by StokieBlue

I certainly think it's right that policy can have an effect although I am not sure about the final conclusion around decline. The main point that there are too many deaths is certainly a good one though.

It assumes the trend would have continued ad-infinitum even though something like placing cameras would have diminishing returns the longer the process went on as the worst spots would be covered first - that would likely flatten the trend at some point anyway. I don't think the entire flattening can be pinned on government policy changes.

On a slight tangent, there is also an alleged correlation between the end of daylight savings times and traffic accidents. This is apparently due to a number of people missing out on an hours sleep and being tired when driving the next morning.

SB
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 16:42]

It's been pretty much statistically proven that there would be fewer road accidents & deaths if we didn't put clocks back at all and/or adopted European Central time. Accidents are more likely to occur during the drive home at the end of the working day, when drivers are generally more tired, so having more light at this time rather than in the morning would be beneficial.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 17:29 - Dec 17 with 1228 viewsPlums

An interesting article. I’m also convinced that speed bumps and pot holes in particular contribute to road deaths. Structural damage to suspension and steering components, wheels etc that then manifests itself at speed later on has to be a concern. I imagine it’s entirely untraceable though.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 17:29 - Dec 17 with 1230 viewsRadlett_blue

It's pretty much accepted that if everyone drove more slowly, there would be fewer deaths, However, you need to do cost/benefit analysis of this. For example, if no-one drove faster than walking pace, deaths on the road would get pretty much down to zero, but I don't think anyone is advocating that as a solution. If you do have silly speed limits, some drivers will ignore them, which can actually increase the number of accidents.
I believe most road accidents are caused by driver error, especially careless drivers not looking properly and there's not actually much you can do about that. Exceeding the speed limit is apparently only the cause of about 3% of accidents so I think it's wrong to fixate on that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 09:35 - Dec 18 with 1087 viewsSaleAway

Another person who doesn't understand causality.

Its interesting that he provides the graph that completely undermines his argument...

He blames UK government policy change in 2010 for the flatlining of road deaths but then provides a european graph which essentially proves that all the countries showed the same flatlining.

I don't have the graphs to hand, but the interesting comparison to make would be the total number of accidents ( not just the number of fatalities).... I would suggest that the road deaths number is reduced by the improvements in car safety. Whereas speed cameras should reduce the incidence of all accidents, not just fatal ones.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 09:39 - Dec 18 with 1083 viewsGeoffSentence

Intriguing article on the annual number of road deaths in the UK on 18:37 - Nov 18 by jaykay

its also a good job labour introduced the breath test and made all cars have seat belts.otherwise the death rate would have been much more.
dam commies

Blaaaardy nanny state.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024