Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen 10:33 - Nov 15 with 2626 viewsSteve_M

Can we include the Tory rail plans to re-open railway lines to marginal constituencies. How many trains per hour are they planning to run? I guess that's easy as the answer is likely to be 0.

Whilst there are real issues for transportation in rural areas, especially since the deregulation of bus routes reached it's inevitable conclusion, the history of Tory rail promises appearing in manifestos only to be delayed again soon afterwards is long and tedious.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:37 - Nov 15 with 2601 viewschicoazul

This is one thing that would be absolutely fantastic on all fronts, so needless to say it will not happen whoever is in government & no matter what promises are made.
Scrap HS2 and Trident and put all that lovely loot into undoing Beeching and conventional forces, and building more grammar schools.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:39 - Nov 15 with 2597 viewsStokieBlue

I think there is something to be said for a nationalised bus operator. I know it would be hard for private competitors but people would still need to pay - it wouldn't be free like the broadband idea.

Design and build the buses in the UK, with apprenticeships and degree level jobs and ensure all are electric or hydrogen powered. Subsidise specific routes in rural areas and ensure a service of at least 2 buses an hour.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:43 - Nov 15 with 2584 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm not sure any party lives up to any promises but this one issurely a non-starter. Many of the branch lines are now cycleways - one of the sacred cows of right-on 21st century living.... or have tory voters living in expensive houses nearby.

The line between St Ives and Cambridge lives on as a somewhat comical guided bus route - but at least it is now getting used again. The rail link between Haverhill and Cambridge went in the Beeching cuts - and has led directly to the link road becoming 'the road of death'... but when did consequences ever impact on cuts?

Trains dont make much sense unless they are affordable.... cue JC and chums wanting to nationalise them.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:44 - Nov 15 with 2575 viewschicoazul

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:43 - Nov 15 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm not sure any party lives up to any promises but this one issurely a non-starter. Many of the branch lines are now cycleways - one of the sacred cows of right-on 21st century living.... or have tory voters living in expensive houses nearby.

The line between St Ives and Cambridge lives on as a somewhat comical guided bus route - but at least it is now getting used again. The rail link between Haverhill and Cambridge went in the Beeching cuts - and has led directly to the link road becoming 'the road of death'... but when did consequences ever impact on cuts?

Trains dont make much sense unless they are affordable.... cue JC and chums wanting to nationalise them.

I'd happily give up my favourite cycle route on the Flitch Way if it was turned back into a train line.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:18 - Nov 15 with 2515 viewsBluefish

Rural and sparsely populated areas shouldn't really be a priority area for trains with the future capability of self driving electric cars

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:21 - Nov 15 with 2506 viewsgiant_stow

£500m sounds like it might re-open a couple fo miles of old line, to me.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:29 - Nov 15 with 2485 viewsRyorry

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:39 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

I think there is something to be said for a nationalised bus operator. I know it would be hard for private competitors but people would still need to pay - it wouldn't be free like the broadband idea.

Design and build the buses in the UK, with apprenticeships and degree level jobs and ensure all are electric or hydrogen powered. Subsidise specific routes in rural areas and ensure a service of at least 2 buses an hour.

SB

"Design and build the buses in the UK, with apprenticeships and degree level jobs and ensure all are electric or hydrogen powered. Subsidise specific routes in rural areas"

If you replace the word "buses" with "houses", and mentioned subsidized zero carbon/zero energy houses, I'd go with that too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:35 - Nov 15 with 2462 viewsgiant_stow

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:29 - Nov 15 by Ryorry

"Design and build the buses in the UK, with apprenticeships and degree level jobs and ensure all are electric or hydrogen powered. Subsidise specific routes in rural areas"

If you replace the word "buses" with "houses", and mentioned subsidized zero carbon/zero energy houses, I'd go with that too.

Have Labour said anything about building houses publically yet? I hope so and I've just missed it. As you say, I'd much rather coupled with more la la spent on the NHS that than nationalising utlities and free broadband. Money's not unlimited right?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:45 - Nov 15 with 2442 viewshomer_123

Isn't this exactly the same as the £25m for you local Town Centre improvements?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:54 - Nov 15 with 2422 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Tories wouldn't plan on running any, they'll expect the peasants to do all the work for them.

Er, sorry that's not fair. They will empower people by providing the conditions to encourage local innovation

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 12:16 - Nov 15 with 2397 viewsjontysnut

I was on a cold, dirty, uncomfortable, slow Northern Rail Pacer from Manchester Victoria last night. There's no way that these would still be running in the south east
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 16:33 - Nov 15 with 2330 viewsbrogansnose

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:21 - Nov 15 by giant_stow

It really won't go far.

As an example, there are concrete plans to open up Soham train station for a direct line into Cambridge. Its been costed at £21.8 million with the tracks in situ so the amount is pretty much for the station.
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 17:59 - Nov 15 with 2289 viewsDurovigutum

Light rail please. Cheaper, faster for short sprint distances, fewer of the crazy rules that dog heavy rail (eg fence everything as it's the trains fault if it hits someone standing on the track).
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 18:03 - Nov 15 with 2282 viewsDubtractor

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:18 - Nov 15 by Bluefish

Rural and sparsely populated areas shouldn't really be a priority area for trains with the future capability of self driving electric cars

Flying cars surely?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 19:05 - Nov 15 with 2242 viewsgordon

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 11:21 - Nov 15 by giant_stow

the Borders railway, 34 miles of track and about 7 new stations cost £300 million in 2012. So, you might get one route and a bit with £500m.
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 09:23 - Nov 17 with 2135 viewsDurovigutum

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 12:16 - Nov 15 by jontysnut

I was on a cold, dirty, uncomfortable, slow Northern Rail Pacer from Manchester Victoria last night. There's no way that these would still be running in the south east

They've only just replaced the 1974 built trains running Hatfield/Welwyn Garden City to Moorgate, leafy suburbia to the heart of the city.
Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:03 - Nov 17 with 2069 viewsPinewoodblue

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 16:33 - Nov 15 by brogansnose

It really won't go far.

As an example, there are concrete plans to open up Soham train station for a direct line into Cambridge. Its been costed at £21.8 million with the tracks in situ so the amount is pretty much for the station.

Don't remember and direct track from Soham to Cambridge. Would have to go via Ely or Newmarket and both of those would require a loop to be built at Newmarket. Or Ely.

Soham to Ely is still siñgle track which restricts the number of freight trains from Felixstowe to Nuneaton.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 10:21 - Nov 17 with 2045 viewsMullet

Whilst we're dealing with election promises that won't happen on 12:16 - Nov 15 by jontysnut

Northern Rail is a national scandal the London media have FA interest in. Several regional papers up here have tried to push it onto the national agenda and it has had very little traction.

All the moaning about Abellio and Greater Anglia on here, might be valid, but compared to NR they are decent. That said, pretty much everywhere I've been in Europe has superb rail networks, stock and prices that shame our country.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024