Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record 20:12 - Nov 14 with 2290 viewsvapour_trail

Already.

Mental.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:13 - Nov 14 with 2026 viewsStokieBlue

Shearer was quality though and playing in a worse team. Kane doing rather well though.

I know the opposition aren't great but the technique all the players have now is really superb. They look like scoring and breaking down teams that sit back. Quality all over the pitch.

Young side as well so loads of room for even more improvement.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:15 - Nov 14 with 2012 viewsWD19

He will reach Charlton by Full Time.
Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:16 - Nov 14 with 2011 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:15 - Nov 14 by WD19

He will reach Charlton by Full Time.

Absolutely destroying them just like they did Bulgaria.

Obviously have to factor in the opposition but also quality for England not playing: Sterling, Henderson, Maddison, Walker, Hudson-Odoi, Abrahams etc etc.

Edit: Just read it's the youngest England starting 11 for 60 years.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 20:25]

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:29 - Nov 14 with 1926 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:13 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

Shearer was quality though and playing in a worse team. Kane doing rather well though.

I know the opposition aren't great but the technique all the players have now is really superb. They look like scoring and breaking down teams that sit back. Quality all over the pitch.

SB

Worse team? Not sure that stands up.

That Euro 96 team had some real quality and experience;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3513497/England-thrashed-Holl

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:33 - Nov 14 with 1893 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:29 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3513497/England-thrashed-Holl

I am aware who was in that team - I don't think as a team or squad it was a good - it certainly didn't create as many chances as this one does but you are right - perhaps I was a bit harsh.

That was an excellent performance in that match you've linked but they didn't always play like that and often struggled to break down teams who wouldn't attack them.

Kane overtaken Shearer now - an excellent achievement.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 20:34]

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:36 - Nov 14 with 1873 viewsjeera

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:33 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

I am aware who was in that team - I don't think as a team or squad it was a good - it certainly didn't create as many chances as this one does but you are right - perhaps I was a bit harsh.

That was an excellent performance in that match you've linked but they didn't always play like that and often struggled to break down teams who wouldn't attack them.

SB

Funny era really.

On paper the 'golden gen' team that picked itself for so long should have won tournaments. I realise there was some stiff competition about but nonetheless.

Too many individuals, too much celebrity status? I was going to suggest complacency but I don't think that would be fair. We had some right grafters too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:44 - Nov 14 with 1831 viewsActionMan

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:29 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

The Euro 96 team would beat the current lot 2 or 3-0.

The current England can only play rubbish teams and win easy as soon as anyone else bites back we lose. However the Euro 96 team beat a world class Dutch, Spanish and equaled an all time great German side.

All you have to do is add Beckham and Owen at their peaks into that mix and the current crop simply do not stand a chance.
Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:49 - Nov 14 with 1804 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:44 - Nov 14 by ActionMan

The current England can only play rubbish teams and win easy as soon as anyone else bites back we lose. However the Euro 96 team beat a world class Dutch, Spanish and equaled an all time great German side.

All you have to do is add Beckham and Owen at their peaks into that mix and the current crop simply do not stand a chance.

That is an incredibly harsh assessment of what it the youngest England starting 11 in 60 years.

You are aware that essentially the team you are citing failed to even reach the 1994 world cup? Given this it seems even more harsh to label one side in the way you have and not the other.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 20:53]

Login to get fewer ads

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:58 - Nov 14 with 1740 viewsDubtractor

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:44 - Nov 14 by ActionMan

That's massively rose tinted glasses based on one tournament on home turf. We failed to qualify for USA 94, and knocked out first round in France 98.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:03 - Nov 14 with 1703 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:58 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

That's massively rose tinted glasses based on one tournament on home turf. We failed to qualify for USA 94, and knocked out first round in France 98.

To be fair, not sure 94 has much to do with it. Shearer hardly played in the qualifying, much of the team was different from 96.

98 was still a good team, went out to a strong Argentinian team.

The 96 team and current team would probably be a good match for each other.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:05 - Nov 14 with 1689 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:33 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

SB

As a team or squad it wasn't good?

Seaman, Adams, Ince, Gazza, Shearer, sheringham.

It was packed with winners, some of whom had made two major international semi finals.

It certainly was a good team and sqaud.

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:08 - Nov 14 with 1676 viewsvapour_trail

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:13 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Worse team?

96? Really?

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:08 - Nov 14 with 1673 viewsSwansea_Blue

Shearer did retire when he was 14 though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:10 - Nov 14 with 1665 viewsTIB

Do I need to be making Kane a beer then?

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer/country/united-kingdom/away-days-alen-shear

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:10 - Nov 14 with 1666 viewsvapour_trail

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 20:58 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Second round 98 dubbers, in an absolutely epic fecking encounter.

That was a team and a half.

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:12 - Nov 14 with 1659 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:05 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

As a team or squad it wasn't good?

Seaman, Adams, Ince, Gazza, Shearer, sheringham.

It was packed with winners, some of whom had made two major international semi finals.

It certainly was a good team and sqaud.

They were good players but they never really gelled as a team except for the 96 tournament. I am not saying they weren't good players. I also said my original statement was a bit hasty.

The current crop seem more of a team to me but also with good individuals. You are also comparing players at their peak with the youngest team in 60 years - not really a like for like comparison.

Adams, Ince, Shearer and Seaman were all in the squad which failed to qualify for USA 94.

Not sure you can say 94 isn't relevant in your previous post then include the 90 semi-final.

SB

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:14 - Nov 14 with 1636 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:08 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

Worse team?

96? Really?

They played very well in that tournament I agree. They also didn't qualify for 94 and that was many of the same players.

This team seems to create more chances even against teams sitting back which gives Kane more scope to score that Shearer had - I should have been clearer in my original post. Worse was the wrong word to use.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 21:15]

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:15 - Nov 14 with 1626 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:12 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

They were good players but they never really gelled as a team except for the 96 tournament. I am not saying they weren't good players. I also said my original statement was a bit hasty.

The current crop seem more of a team to me but also with good individuals. You are also comparing players at their peak with the youngest team in 60 years - not really a like for like comparison.

Adams, Ince, Shearer and Seaman were all in the squad which failed to qualify for USA 94.

Not sure you can say 94 isn't relevant in your previous post then include the 90 semi-final.

SB

You were talking about squads that shearer played in, that's why I disregarded 94.

90 wasn't relevant either to shearer, was just stating that there were some players who had reached two semi finals.

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:18 - Nov 14 with 1607 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:15 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

You were talking about squads that shearer played in, that's why I disregarded 94.

90 wasn't relevant either to shearer, was just stating that there were some players who had reached two semi finals.

Shearer was playing then, he played 6 times in 92 which would have been qualifiers.

I should have said squad rather than team - you are right. There is less noticeable drop in quality in this squad when someone comes in I feel.

I guess to get a realistic comparison we need to wait 8 years or so until they all reach their peaks.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 21:19]

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:26 - Nov 14 with 1571 viewsDubtractor

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:10 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

My mistake.

I think that the 96 and 98 teams were much more traditionally "English". All about pacy and direct (not meaning long ball, but keen to get forward more quickly) football. They were very good on their day, but a bit more one dimensional.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:27 - Nov 14 with 1567 viewsSteve_M

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:10 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

Yes, 96-98 were good from England. Euro 2000 awful, 2002 not quite there and 2004 pretty good.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:28 - Nov 14 with 1557 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:18 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

Shearer was playing then, he played 6 times in 92 which would have been qualifiers.

I should have said squad rather than team - you are right. There is less noticeable drop in quality in this squad when someone comes in I feel.

I guess to get a realistic comparison we need to wait 8 years or so until they all reach their peaks.

SB
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 21:19]

You should check your stats re 94.

Shearer was hardly available, I doubt he played many minutes.

Taylor himself bemoaned shearers lack of availability during his time as boss.

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:35 - Nov 14 with 1518 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:28 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Played in 3 of 10 qualifiers.

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:38 - Nov 14 with 1505 viewsStokieBlue

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:28 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Year Apps Goals
1992 6 2
1993 1 0

He would have probably played 3 of the 10 qualifiers so not many, you are right.

As per the post you replied to - I should have said squad in my original post. It's not really all about Shearer - the squad didn't manage to qualify for a world cup in a group where Norway were winners.

I think Dubs post about styles of play is fair as well.

SB

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:39 - Nov 14 with 1491 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Keane reaches Shearer’s England goal record on 21:38 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

Year Apps Goals
1992 6 2
1993 1 0

He would have probably played 3 of the 10 qualifiers so not many, you are right.

As per the post you replied to - I should have said squad in my original post. It's not really all about Shearer - the squad didn't manage to qualify for a world cup in a group where Norway were winners.

I think Dubs post about styles of play is fair as well.

SB

I think we largely agree.

As you say, you were overly harsh in your original assessment.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024