Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... 10:26 - Nov 14 with 9530 viewsElephantintheRoom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

Anyone unlucky enough to need A&E at Addenbrookes recently will be aware of their interesting wheeze to reduce waiting time.... you have to queue outside in the rain to be assessed by a nurse just inside the twirly door. It took me 45 mins to start my wait last month.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 10:35 - Nov 14 with 3324 viewsBlueBadger

We're heading for a VERY early winter bed crisis this year. They usually hit around January but it's coming NOW.
There's 43,000(and rising)empty nursing vacancies nationally, recruitment thanks to the twin clusterf*cks of Brexit(EU nurse recuitment is effectively zero and has been since 2017) and the removal of the student nurses bursary, more challenging than its ever been with a reduction nationally in applicants to study leading to an increased reliance on recruiting non-EU staff which is more expensive, time-consuming and bureaucratic to do, not to mention on considerably more iffy ethical grounds considering where a lot of those nurses come from. This has meant a busy summer and an exhausted workforce as there's no slack in the system for cover.

Add on top of that the weather at the moment - it's been very wintry, damp and cold but not cold enough to kill off many bugs - meaning that there's been an early surge in bed occupancy - most hospitals around the region already have their 'winter escalation' beds open - that doesn't usually happen until December.

And then there's Brexit - the current 'deal' will see checks on goods entering the country(unless you live in Northern Ireland) - presently 75% of all medicines used in this country are produced overseas - that's going to make procurement more expensive and slower to transport - that's a a very toxic combination.

As someone employed to manage the sickest of the sick on the wards, I'm already firefighting far harder than I was this time last year and dreading the next few months. People are, I fear, going to die needlessly.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 19:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 11:32 - Nov 14 with 3234 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting.

I've just had a major back op at Bristol Southmead. The whole process of getting scans, meeting the surgeon, everything was amazing.

My wait was only a few weeks, 6 I think, from the last appointment with the surgeon to having it done, last wednesday.

That hospital is an exemplar as to how to manage things. It is awesome.

Just thought I'd put some good news into all this......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 11:40 - Nov 14 with 3215 viewsGaryCooper

Population increase and lack of investment to support that increase hits all services.
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:00 - Nov 14 with 3185 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 11:40 - Nov 14 by GaryCooper

Population increase and lack of investment to support that increase hits all services.

..and I imagine a colossal pension deficit!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:07 - Nov 14 with 3177 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fake headline. It should be 'Patients suffer because of lazy NHS staff'.

Yours sincerely,
Jeremy *unt

*runs away*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:11 - Nov 14 with 3172 viewsSwansea_Blue

IFS figures below by the looks of it, so could well be correct. It's not really rocket science is it? Yes, there are often efficiency savings that can be made, but if you starve a service of resources it crumbles. And the 2 biggest resources in the NHS (staff and money) have been hit.

And it's no good blaming EU migrants, as certain people always seem want to do, as on average each one contribute more than a UK nationals to the public purse.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:14 - Nov 14 with 3168 viewsSwansea_Blue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 10:35 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

We're heading for a VERY early winter bed crisis this year. They usually hit around January but it's coming NOW.
There's 43,000(and rising)empty nursing vacancies nationally, recruitment thanks to the twin clusterf*cks of Brexit(EU nurse recuitment is effectively zero and has been since 2017) and the removal of the student nurses bursary, more challenging than its ever been with a reduction nationally in applicants to study leading to an increased reliance on recruiting non-EU staff which is more expensive, time-consuming and bureaucratic to do, not to mention on considerably more iffy ethical grounds considering where a lot of those nurses come from. This has meant a busy summer and an exhausted workforce as there's no slack in the system for cover.

Add on top of that the weather at the moment - it's been very wintry, damp and cold but not cold enough to kill off many bugs - meaning that there's been an early surge in bed occupancy - most hospitals around the region already have their 'winter escalation' beds open - that doesn't usually happen until December.

And then there's Brexit - the current 'deal' will see checks on goods entering the country(unless you live in Northern Ireland) - presently 75% of all medicines used in this country are produced overseas - that's going to make procurement more expensive and slower to transport - that's a a very toxic combination.

As someone employed to manage the sickest of the sick on the wards, I'm already firefighting far harder than I was this time last year and dreading the next few months. People are, I fear, going to die needlessly.

Clearly you don't appreciate the true value of a blue passport (made in France)

It's disgusting. See also the judiciary system for a similar example of irresponsible stewardship by the Tories.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 12:14]

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:21 - Nov 14 with 3151 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:00 - Nov 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

..and I imagine a colossal pension deficit!!

The NHS pension scheme currently runs to a surplus.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2019-08/CCS207_CCS0519248342-001_H

From page 6:

'In cash terms, the Scheme recorded a Net Cash Requirement (NCR) of minus £0.21 billion against the voted estimate of £0.18 billion, this means the Scheme has surplus cash due to income exceeding pension benefit payments, and the £0.21 billion will be returned to Treasury during 2019-20. '
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 14:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:33 - Nov 14 with 3108 viewsDubtractor

This, amongst other things, is the culmination of nearly 10 years of austerity.

I genuinely don't understand why anyone would vote for this tory government.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:34 - Nov 14 with 3100 viewsLeoMuff

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:11 - Nov 14 by Swansea_Blue

IFS figures below by the looks of it, so could well be correct. It's not really rocket science is it? Yes, there are often efficiency savings that can be made, but if you starve a service of resources it crumbles. And the 2 biggest resources in the NHS (staff and money) have been hit.

And it's no good blaming EU migrants, as certain people always seem want to do, as on average each one contribute more than a UK nationals to the public purse.

NHS totally shafted in the last decade, anyone who works, uses, cares about it should do all in their power to avoid a Tory government

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:34 - Nov 14 with 3100 viewshomer_123

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:11 - Nov 14 by Swansea_Blue

Nothing new here, we know that the NHS is chronically under funded (as it Education etc.).

Labour have said they've tax business and the rich to pay for it.

I've not read what Libs, Cons etc. are proposing.

The fact remains - if we want a properly funded NHS we need to pay for it - if people are not willing to pay more for it through either an increase in direct/ indrect taxation - then maybe we should start charging for things like appointments, missed appointments, A&E drop ins etc etc - basically at the point of service?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:37 - Nov 14 with 3097 viewsBlueNomad

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 10:35 - Nov 14 by BlueBadger

My wife was taken critically ill when we were away (in the UK) last year and spent nearly two weeks in a large teaching hospital. The overwhelming number of staff, from doctors to cleaners, were immigrants (mainly from Europe) and we will always be indebted for the wonderful care they gave her. Many of them were preparing to go home (or had gone) due to Brexit and, as a result wards and operating theatres were closed.

Taking into account the other big political story today (immigration) I look forward to Gary, with his Cross of St George tattoo and 1 GCSE, taking their place.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 12:46]
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:39 - Nov 14 with 3091 viewsDyland

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:33 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

This, amongst other things, is the culmination of nearly 10 years of austerity.

I genuinely don't understand why anyone would vote for this tory government.

Because Boris will deliver Brexit, and that's all that matters.

Post truth, post shame, post parody.

What a time to be alive!

ffs

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:42 - Nov 14 with 3076 viewsDubtractor

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:39 - Nov 14 by Dyland

What a time to be alive!

ffs

It's good though, cos he's just like you and me. He likes music and makes his own tea. Look how normal he is.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 with 3043 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:34 - Nov 14 by homer_123

Nothing new here, we know that the NHS is chronically under funded (as it Education etc.).

Labour have said they've tax business and the rich to pay for it.

I've not read what Libs, Cons etc. are proposing.

The fact remains - if we want a properly funded NHS we need to pay for it - if people are not willing to pay more for it through either an increase in direct/ indrect taxation - then maybe we should start charging for things like appointments, missed appointments, A&E drop ins etc etc - basically at the point of service?

The annual deficit runs to roughly £4BN. Or, what the tier of management employed to oversee the outsourcing and tendering of services costs to maintain.
That's a massive saving to be had, right there.
The other side to the coin is that it's not just acute service sthat need funding, it's community care. Without good home and residential care services, admissions and readmissions to hospital are much, much more likely to occur.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 with 3044 viewslowhouseblue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:39 - Nov 14 by Dyland

What a time to be alive!

ffs

putting aside politics entirely, for most people, he comes across as essentially likable. ok a bit of a rogue but human and with a sense of humour. it's why a lot of labour's stuff against him just doesn't stick. and why the contrast with corbyn, who to most non-political people comes across as sour, bad tempered and humourless, is a real problem for labour.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 with 3041 viewsBlueNomad

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:42 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

It's good though, cos he's just like you and me. He likes music and makes his own tea. Look how normal he is.

As I said yesterday; he said he likes The Clash but has clearly never really listened to the words!
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 with 3040 viewsBlueBadger

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:42 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Boris is at least as normal as some of the posters on here, in all fairness....

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:56 - Nov 14 with 3002 viewsSwansea_Blue

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

putting aside politics entirely, for most people, he comes across as essentially likable. ok a bit of a rogue but human and with a sense of humour. it's why a lot of labour's stuff against him just doesn't stick. and why the contrast with corbyn, who to most non-political people comes across as sour, bad tempered and humourless, is a real problem for labour.

Really? To me he comes across as a delusional w@anker, with zero sincerity who'll lie to anyone without batting an eyelid. And that's putting politics aside. If we add in the politics, he's a flip-flopping opportunist who you couldn't trust because he appears to be so open to manipulation.

I really don't understand how anyone could look at him and think 'there's a good guy'. Maybe the bantz factor swings it, agreed, but it's shallow and transparent, and neither does it work as a PM (see comment above about zero sincerity).

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:57 - Nov 14 with 2994 viewsartsbossbeard

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:56 - Nov 14 by Swansea_Blue

Really? To me he comes across as a delusional w@anker, with zero sincerity who'll lie to anyone without batting an eyelid. And that's putting politics aside. If we add in the politics, he's a flip-flopping opportunist who you couldn't trust because he appears to be so open to manipulation.

I really don't understand how anyone could look at him and think 'there's a good guy'. Maybe the bantz factor swings it, agreed, but it's shallow and transparent, and neither does it work as a PM (see comment above about zero sincerity).

You need to stop sitting on the fence and tell us all how you really feel, Swans.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

totally agree on 12:58 - Nov 14 with 2999 viewsDyland

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:47 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

Ad hominem politics is where we are and it's beyond annoying. But we get the politics we deserve, and apathy and selfishness drives the system as much as anything else. I expect no better tbh.

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:59 - Nov 14 with 2981 viewsDyland

Yes, really. And you know why? Because they are bellends. And I include people I love in that!

Humanity eh? Wooop!

Edit: I'd question Lowers' "most" people but his point is a good one
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 13:01]

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:00 - Nov 14 with 2976 viewsBlueNomad

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 12:57 - Nov 14 by artsbossbeard

You need to stop sitting on the fence and tell us all how you really feel, Swans.

Swansea forgot to mention the conspiring to have someone beaten up bit too
A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:01 - Nov 14 with 2969 viewslowhouseblue

as I said -'for most people'. politics if often about trying to understand what other people think. I guess the stronger your own views become the more difficult that is.

if you don't understand how a broad range of voters think about stuff, and that it is different from how you think about stuff, elections must be a bit of a mystery to you.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A&E waiting times hit worst ever... on 13:02 - Nov 14 with 2959 viewsDanTheMan

People don't want someone with integrity or anything like that.

It's essentially now just a popularity contest. Whether they are actually competent does not come into it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024