Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? 08:24 - Nov 13 with 3000 viewsgroovyASH

Does treating our cup games with contempt:
- go against the popular views of the fan base desperate for a cup run
- add to rather than lower game time, add to travel, and reduce preparation opportunities in training
- hinder momentum of two league victories with the psychological effects of defeat, drawers, and replays which then affects the terraces

I am afraid I do not buy that we do not have enough fit professional footballers to at least lower the full squad rotation for cup games and mix it up.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 08:27 - Nov 13 with 2578 viewstrncbluearmy

Yes
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 08:38 - Nov 13 with 2547 viewspatrickswell

Treating Cup games lightly to concentrate on the league can be fine if you win those subsequent league matches. Too often under Mick, that wouldn’t happen. On the face of it, there shouldn’t be much to complain about. We’re 5 points clear at the top of the league after all. I think the broken up nature of this month with inactivity on some Saturdays allied to draws in the cup has made it feel like momentum has been lost, but we’re no worse off than most other sides in the league.
After this weekend, the international breaks are over till end of March (when we were scheduled to play Bury away interestingly). It’ll be full steam ahead from hereon and Lambert’s rotation will have to be more finely judged anyway.
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:03 - Nov 13 with 2478 viewsBlueBadger

Nah, his first big mistake was in trying to play tippy-tappy open football rather seeking to grind a few points out when we were in relegation battle.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 11:46]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:12 - Nov 13 with 2459 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's his first big PR mistake perhaps... but his first BIG mistake was to ignore the talent at his disposal and get in a demoralizing job lot of duds in the January transfer window last year.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:16 - Nov 13 with 2448 viewsWickets

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 08:38 - Nov 13 by patrickswell

Treating Cup games lightly to concentrate on the league can be fine if you win those subsequent league matches. Too often under Mick, that wouldn’t happen. On the face of it, there shouldn’t be much to complain about. We’re 5 points clear at the top of the league after all. I think the broken up nature of this month with inactivity on some Saturdays allied to draws in the cup has made it feel like momentum has been lost, but we’re no worse off than most other sides in the league.
After this weekend, the international breaks are over till end of March (when we were scheduled to play Bury away interestingly). It’ll be full steam ahead from hereon and Lambert’s rotation will have to be more finely judged anyway.

And are you not worried about the loss of momentum,poor results in 3 of our last 6 matches, and the fact that our first team will not have played for 18 days when we have our next very important league game that's quickly followed by another ? Football managers often say players play too many games but they also say players need to play to be match sharp !
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:34 - Nov 13 with 2414 viewsBlueBadger

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:12 - Nov 13 by ElephantintheRoom

It's his first big PR mistake perhaps... but his first BIG mistake was to ignore the talent at his disposal and get in a demoralizing job lot of duds in the January transfer window last year.

The 'talent' at his disposal had seen us firmly rooted to the bottom of the table, in all fairness. A more pragmatic approach to the rest of teseaosn in terms of style of play and some grizzled old pros brought in in January might have helped, mind.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:38 - Nov 13 with 2399 viewsElephantintheRoom

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:34 - Nov 13 by BlueBadger

The 'talent' at his disposal had seen us firmly rooted to the bottom of the table, in all fairness. A more pragmatic approach to the rest of teseaosn in terms of style of play and some grizzled old pros brought in in January might have helped, mind.

Erm - yes and no. Lambo made a terrible situation worse... and Jackson, Nolan etc hinted more than once that there was a decent player lurking within a demoralized skin. Even his one partial January success, Judge, has been a distinct error in judgment because Town would have been better off without him this season - and probably as as well.

But yes - I did mean talent to be a relative term!

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:41 - Nov 13 with 2389 viewsVaughan8

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:16 - Nov 13 by Wickets

And are you not worried about the loss of momentum,poor results in 3 of our last 6 matches, and the fact that our first team will not have played for 18 days when we have our next very important league game that's quickly followed by another ? Football managers often say players play too many games but they also say players need to play to be match sharp !

That's going to be the next excuse isn't it "we had a break and weren't up to speed in the first half" haha
Login to get fewer ads

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:43 - Nov 13 with 2379 viewspatrickswell

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:16 - Nov 13 by Wickets

Match sharpness could be an issue, but one hopes that the nailed on first-teamers are making good use of the opportunity to recharge their batteries ahead of the Christmas run of fixtures.

In terms of results, we've responded to two league defeats with two league victories and sides who were within one result of us after Rotherham have failed to take advantage. We have 4 games against sides in the top 10 coming up and they may prove key as to where we are as a side.
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:46 - Nov 13 with 2375 viewsclive_baker

It's more acceptable for Lambert, given we're top. Mick rested players for in the cup when we were already nailed on for a 15th place and it was just about the only thing left to put any excitement in an otherwise dross season.

That said, I would've liked us to line up stronger against Lincoln.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We never finished 15th..... on 11:02 - Nov 13 with 2322 viewsBloots

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:46 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

It's more acceptable for Lambert, given we're top. Mick rested players for in the cup when we were already nailed on for a 15th place and it was just about the only thing left to put any excitement in an otherwise dross season.

....under Mick.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:05 - Nov 13 with 2318 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 10:46 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

Third time I’ve had to post this but that’s a myth re McCarthy - well actually strictly speaking he did once do it when we were 15th but I’m taking it that you are implying this was a regular feature under him

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? by C_HealyIsAPleasure 11 Nov 2019 5:26
That’s not strictly true re McCarthy - below is our position in the league in each of his seasons when the FA Cup 3rd round game came along:

2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 2nd
2015/16 - 6th
2016/17 - 15th
2017/18 - 12th

So it was only in the last 2 seasons that we were mid table, and for the 2017/18 game a fairly strong lineup was fielded (Bialkowski, Iorfa, Chambers, Knudsen, Kenlock, Connolly, Hyam, Bru, Sears, Celina, McGoldrick). So it was only really the Lincoln game in 2016/17 that looks questionable

Regardless of being top, a cup game with a 2 week break until the next league game and a dead rubber glorified friendly coming up to play the reserves in seemed an ideal time to play a strong line up in the cup to me, but appreciate opinions will differ

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:20 - Nov 13 with 2295 viewspatrickswell

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:05 - Nov 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Third time I’ve had to post this but that’s a myth re McCarthy - well actually strictly speaking he did once do it when we were 15th but I’m taking it that you are implying this was a regular feature under him

Why do our Managers not care about cup competitions? by C_HealyIsAPleasure 11 Nov 2019 5:26
That’s not strictly true re McCarthy - below is our position in the league in each of his seasons when the FA Cup 3rd round game came along:

2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 2nd
2015/16 - 6th
2016/17 - 15th
2017/18 - 12th

So it was only in the last 2 seasons that we were mid table, and for the 2017/18 game a fairly strong lineup was fielded (Bialkowski, Iorfa, Chambers, Knudsen, Kenlock, Connolly, Hyam, Bru, Sears, Celina, McGoldrick). So it was only really the Lincoln game in 2016/17 that looks questionable

Regardless of being top, a cup game with a 2 week break until the next league game and a dead rubber glorified friendly coming up to play the reserves in seemed an ideal time to play a strong line up in the cup to me, but appreciate opinions will differ

Edit - sorry CHealy, I posted essentially what you’d done, so will delete it.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 11:22]
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:23 - Nov 13 with 2277 viewsJohnny_Boy

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:05 - Nov 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 2nd
2015/16 - 6th
2016/17 - 15th
2017/18 - 12th

Forgive me if I’m missing something here, but the Leasing.Com tournament is hardly the FA Cup.
It’s a glorified reserve-outing for fringe players & the yoofs.
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:27 - Nov 13 with 2251 viewsStadiumofdark

Yes, me too.

Surely we have to play full strength in the replay... otherwise it will be 2.5 weeks since Chambers, Skuse etc have played a game.... which must be more harm than good.
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:41 - Nov 13 with 2218 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:23 - Nov 13 by Johnny_Boy

Forgive me if I’m missing something here, but the Leasing.Com tournament is hardly the FA Cup.

My point was in reference to the FA Cup lineup, at the weekend, hence the comment re a dead rubber glorified friendly a few days later

It's the FA Cup that's in discussion..... on 12:01 - Nov 13 with 2182 viewsBloots

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 11:23 - Nov 13 by Johnny_Boy

....and perhaps, to a lesser extent, the League Cup.

Lambert's approach is as bad as Mick's, if not worse.

We never finished 15th..... on 12:09 - Nov 13 with 2167 viewsclive_baker

We never finished 15th..... on 11:02 - Nov 13 by Bloots

....under Mick.

Yes we did.

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:11 - Nov 13 with 2164 viewsclive_baker

2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 2nd
2015/16 - 6th
2016/17 - 15th
2017/18 - 12th

We finished 15th in 2016/2017 which is what I was referring to. It's the season we went out to Lincoln. Unforgivable and sadly, unforgettable.

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:19 - Nov 13 with 2139 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:11 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

We finished 15th in 2016/2017 which is what I was referring to. It's the season we went out to Lincoln. Unforgivable and sadly, unforgettable.

No we didn’t

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:21 - Nov 13 with 2130 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not if our season is one long cup run which ends up with promotion. If we fail to go up this season then yes, this will be another stick to beat him with. If we do go up then no one will care that we treated the cups with contempt.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:33 - Nov 13 with 2092 viewsclive_baker

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:19 - Nov 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No we didn’t

OK, 16th.

The point I'm making (which I think you probably know already) is when MM showed disdain to the FA Cup, our season was already all but over. We were looking relatively comfortable, but highly unlikely to do anything more than midtable. I think that's why so many fans were left scratching their heads, as it was all we really had left that season so it would've been nice to have a more of a go with a full strength XI, especially against a side 2 leagues below and live on BBC.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 12:37]

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:41 - Nov 13 with 2062 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:33 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

OK, 16th.

The point I'm making (which I think you probably know already) is when MM showed disdain to the FA Cup, our season was already all but over. We were looking relatively comfortable, but highly unlikely to do anything more than midtable. I think that's why so many fans were left scratching their heads, as it was all we really had left that season so it would've been nice to have a more of a go with a full strength XI, especially against a side 2 leagues below and live on BBC.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2019 12:37]

As per my post I assumed you were making a more general comment re McCarthy, if you weren’t then fine

I was also pretty clear in the post I linked that the Lincoln season was the one that was definitely worthy of criticism, although it could perhaps be argued we had an eye over our shoulder the other way at the time of the game. More likely though that McCarthy thought we would progress still given the non-league opposition (worth remembering that they hadn’t also beaten Burnley at that point and our quality should still have shown) and got it badly wrong - the lineup for the replay would suggest as much too

No we didn't (n/t) on 12:44 - Nov 13 with 2047 viewsBloots

We never finished 15th..... on 12:09 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

Yes we did.

No we didn't (n/t) on 12:49 - Nov 13 with 2031 viewsclive_baker

No we didn't (n/t) on 12:44 - Nov 13 by Bloots

I stand corrected, it was 16th.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024