Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight 00:27 - Nov 12 with 2129 viewsfactual_blue

It's about actress Margaret Rutherford and Agatha Christie.

Margaret's background and early life is, to put it mildly, so implausible it would rejected as a Hollyoaks plot.

Her father had a nervous breakdown a month after he married. After a spell in a lunatic asylum (we're talking Victorian England, so that's what it would have been), he was discharged. He promptly bludgeoned his own father - a minister in the Congregationalist Church - to death with a chamberpot.

He was determined too mad to stand trial and went to Broadmoor. On his discharge seven years later (1890) he was reunited with his wife. Margaret Rutherford was born two years later.

The family moved to India to start afresh. Margaret's mother became pregnant, and promptly hanged herself. Margaret (aged three) was sent back to be brought up by her aunt, and was told later that her father had died in India of a broken heart.

He hadn't. He also returned to England, and gone back into Broadmoor, where he remained until his death in 1921.

Margaret had herself regularly treated with ECT in a sanatorium, fearful of falling victim to mental problems herself.

Oh, and just to round the story off, she and her husband didn't have children, but unofficially adopted a young writer called Gordon Langley Hall when Hall was in his twenties. Hall went on to write a biography of Margaret Rutherford....but only after he'd had gender reassignment surgery and become Dawn Langley Simmonds.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 06:32 - Nov 12 with 1861 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Was the chamberpot empty?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 07:48 - Nov 12 with 1831 viewsBloomBlue

Fair to say it wasn't side splitting laugh a minute?
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 08:41 - Nov 12 with 1780 viewsjjblue84

Mental illness, immigration and gender confusion....par for the course in today's society!!
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 08:51 - Nov 12 with 1781 viewsGuthrum

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 08:41 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Mental illness, immigration and gender confusion....par for the course in today's society!!

Do you think they are new things? All three were very common (or, in the third case, not unusual) going back thousands of years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:08 - Nov 12 with 1744 viewsjjblue84

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 08:51 - Nov 12 by Guthrum

Do you think they are new things? All three were very common (or, in the third case, not unusual) going back thousands of years.

Haha! I love the way the Left drop such whoppers such as immigration was always very common so they can get away with their radical policies and sell them to the public! And it works! I have to admire their audacity....
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:14 - Nov 12 with 1739 viewsSwansea_Blue

Things don't get any less bizarre when you follow the life of Gordon Langley Hall/Dawn Langley Simmonds

http://jaquo.com/dawn-langley-hall/

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:37 - Nov 12 with 1728 viewsGuthrum

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:08 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Haha! I love the way the Left drop such whoppers such as immigration was always very common so they can get away with their radical policies and sell them to the public! And it works! I have to admire their audacity....

Ok. Can you give me a single shred of evidence that immigration did not occur (and did not cause disquiet) prior to 'now' - let's say the last 60 years, most of a lifetime.

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:46 - Nov 12 with 1715 viewsfactual_blue

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:14 - Nov 12 by Swansea_Blue

Things don't get any less bizarre when you follow the life of Gordon Langley Hall/Dawn Langley Simmonds

http://jaquo.com/dawn-langley-hall/

Indeed. It was a decentish play, based on the playwright's novel, which I may well have to track down and read.

It starred Pam Coker from Eastenders.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:57 - Nov 12 with 1699 viewsjjblue84

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:37 - Nov 12 by Guthrum

Ok. Can you give me a single shred of evidence that immigration did not occur (and did not cause disquiet) prior to 'now' - let's say the last 60 years, most of a lifetime.

Ah, so now it's now about being very common, its whether it happened at all!! And you even threw in a disquiet for good measure! Top marks!
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:58 - Nov 12 with 1699 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:08 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Bit of a deflection. I was waiting for a claim that the OP was Facters attempt at a current affairs thread...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 11:33 - Nov 12 with 1668 viewsGuthrum

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 10:57 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Ah, so now it's now about being very common, its whether it happened at all!! And you even threw in a disquiet for good measure! Top marks!

I'd already made the assertion it was common. Didn't think it needed repeating.

Where is your evidence it was uncommon, then.

There was disquiet. That's where quite a bit of the evidence can be found (e.g. Enoch Powell's famous speech).

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 11:58 - Nov 12 with 1639 viewsjjblue84

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 11:33 - Nov 12 by Guthrum

I'd already made the assertion it was common. Didn't think it needed repeating.

Where is your evidence it was uncommon, then.

There was disquiet. That's where quite a bit of the evidence can be found (e.g. Enoch Powell's famous speech).

VERY common. Try not to backtrack....and here you prove that you require no basis in fac for your assertions....if only the Right used those tactics, they might have more success!!
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 12:06 - Nov 12 with 1640 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 11:58 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

VERY common. Try not to backtrack....and here you prove that you require no basis in fac for your assertions....if only the Right used those tactics, they might have more success!!

Beaker people
Celts
Romans
Vikings
Angles
Jutes
Saxons
Normans
Jews
Huguenots
Dutch
Indian subcontinent
Windrush
East African Asians

And during all those two millennia a steady trickle up from the Iberian peninsula

As well as another steady trickle up from Italy over the last one hundred and fifty years
[Post edited 12 Nov 2019 12:07]

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 12:12 - Nov 12 with 1635 viewsGuthrum

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 11:58 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

So you have no evidence it was not very common (as I have already stated). Your only argument is semantic nitpicking.

Some figures on (as an example) mid 19th century Irish immigration to Britain: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zt8tyrd/revision/5

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 12:18 - Nov 12 with 1624 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 13:36 - Nov 12 with 1578 viewsjjblue84

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 12:06 - Nov 12 by WeWereZombies

Beaker people
Celts
Romans
Vikings
Angles
Jutes
Saxons
Normans
Jews
Huguenots
Dutch
Indian subcontinent
Windrush
East African Asians

And during all those two millennia a steady trickle up from the Iberian peninsula

As well as another steady trickle up from Italy over the last one hundred and fifty years
[Post edited 12 Nov 2019 12:07]

A trickle is indeed much nearer the truth!
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 13:55 - Nov 12 with 1570 viewslinhdi

I saw it at the New Wolsey Theatre a couple of weeks ago, and found it fascinating. The programme made it clear that it was not entirely factual, but explained why / how.
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:34 - Nov 12 with 1548 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 13:36 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

A trickle is indeed much nearer the truth!

That's a very selective bit of cherry picking but by doing so you have undermined your argument. The prevalence of DNA in the analysis of people who thought their family tree showed them as completely British often surprises, a few thousand bodies clinkering up through France, along the Bay of Biscay, every decade computes into millions by the time you get to the present day. And much of that is due to economic demand or military necessity because of skills required for metal working or forestry. Merthyr Tydfil is a case in point, as well as the proximity of coal a tradition for manufacture of iron and steel products drew in Spanish workers a century ago to such an extent that the evidence is still easily visible today. Nearer to Ipswich, forestry work in Thetford Forest was maintained during the First World War when most men were in the trenches by bringing in Portuguese foresters.

For a good exhibition on the subject further back go to the Mary Rose museum in the Royal Naval dockyards in Portsmouth for the latest research on where the crew of that Tudor warship came from.

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:37 - Nov 12 with 1531 viewsjjblue84

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:34 - Nov 12 by WeWereZombies

That's a very selective bit of cherry picking but by doing so you have undermined your argument. The prevalence of DNA in the analysis of people who thought their family tree showed them as completely British often surprises, a few thousand bodies clinkering up through France, along the Bay of Biscay, every decade computes into millions by the time you get to the present day. And much of that is due to economic demand or military necessity because of skills required for metal working or forestry. Merthyr Tydfil is a case in point, as well as the proximity of coal a tradition for manufacture of iron and steel products drew in Spanish workers a century ago to such an extent that the evidence is still easily visible today. Nearer to Ipswich, forestry work in Thetford Forest was maintained during the First World War when most men were in the trenches by bringing in Portuguese foresters.

For a good exhibition on the subject further back go to the Mary Rose museum in the Royal Naval dockyards in Portsmouth for the latest research on where the crew of that Tudor warship came from.

Those numbers are rare and tiny compared to the revolution today! 1 in 4 people have mental health problems EVERY YEAR! And lets not even get into the war on women from the radical left!
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:44 - Nov 12 with 1515 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:37 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Those numbers are rare and tiny compared to the revolution today! 1 in 4 people have mental health problems EVERY YEAR! And lets not even get into the war on women from the radical left!

Well thanks for engaging with the subject in a rational manner and expostulating your counter argument so coherently...

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:46 - Nov 12 with 1513 viewsPhilTWTD

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:44 - Nov 12 by WeWereZombies

Well thanks for engaging with the subject in a rational manner and expostulating your counter argument so coherently...

Just had a check and this is a banned user who had another account registered. Gone.
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:01 - Nov 12 with 1498 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 14:46 - Nov 12 by PhilTWTD

Just had a check and this is a banned user who had another account registered. Gone.

I do seem to attract them.

But as they are usually the only ones who respond to my posts I don't mind if you let them witter on, not getting upset and maintaining a patient response to nonsense is something I do not mind practising.

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:03 - Nov 12 with 1493 viewsfooters

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:01 - Nov 12 by WeWereZombies

But as they are usually the only ones who respond to my posts I don't mind if you let them witter on, not getting upset and maintaining a patient response to nonsense is something I do not mind practising.

wkj sends her regards. Her garden is looking marvelous, despite the horrible weather. Hope you're keeping well in bonny Scotland :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:04 - Nov 12 with 1489 viewsPhilTWTD

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:01 - Nov 12 by WeWereZombies

Chris Tavare-esque stoicism.
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:05 - Nov 12 with 1489 viewsfooters

And here's a lesser-known film of Mrs Rutherford, as told by Harry and Paul.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024