Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Say we go up 10:27 - Nov 6 with 4578 viewshype313

Do we think this squad could hold its own the Championship or would it require significant investment

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Say we go up on 10:33 - Nov 6 with 3880 viewsBlueBadger

I think we'd need a fair amount of work. We don't know if either Norwood or Jackon can make the step up, Skuse and Chambers aren't getting any younger, Edwards, Nsiala and Doncien are patently not good enough, Judge and Dozzel remain, at best, enigmas and the goalies are similarly untested at that level.
Of the current lot i think only really Downes, KVV and maybe Nolan are ready and able for the Chmpionship.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Say we go up on 10:39 - Nov 6 with 3873 viewsclive_baker

I think we would need 4 choice additions, including a proven goal scorer at Championship level, a left back and a centre back. We have the core of a decent squad, just need that little bit of extra quality in the right areas to be competitive.

KVY, Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Judge, Norwood, Huws, Bishop, Lancaster, Sears. Skuse and Chambers perhaps will be phased out but in the squad to help the transition and offer experience and depth. Bart potentially would come back at that stage, with Holy on the bench.

Would probably spell the end for Edwards, Donacien, Nsiala, Roberts, Kenlock etc to make way, which perhaps wouldn't be a bad thing.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Say we go up on 10:42 - Nov 6 with 3859 viewsSteve_M

It would do better than the 2018-19 side did but, at this point, it's hard to see it being good enough for the fabled 15th place finish. Chambers and Skuse would probably need replacing, we have big holes at full back and I'm not sure we have enough goals at Championship level even if Norwood would give us the presence up front we lacked virtually all of last season.

That said, a team that gets promoted as the confidence of winning - as long as they don't do what Barnsley did and sell half the team immediately - and sensible reinforcements should make us competitively mid-table.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Say we go up on 10:45 - Nov 6 with 3841 viewstractordownsouth

We'd need another CB, a RB, a DM, and a striker, as well as Garbutt on a permanent deal. Potentially another winger, but I really like the look of Dobra and to a lesser extent, El Mizouni, so hopefully they could step up.

We'd have to get rid of Donacien, Edwards and Roberts as minimum. We could possibly get away with Nsiala as a 4th choice CB but ideally we'd get a replacement.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Say we go up on 11:09 - Nov 6 with 3776 viewsmrshallisfit

Say we go up on 10:39 - Nov 6 by clive_baker

I think we would need 4 choice additions, including a proven goal scorer at Championship level, a left back and a centre back. We have the core of a decent squad, just need that little bit of extra quality in the right areas to be competitive.

KVY, Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Judge, Norwood, Huws, Bishop, Lancaster, Sears. Skuse and Chambers perhaps will be phased out but in the squad to help the transition and offer experience and depth. Bart potentially would come back at that stage, with Holy on the bench.

Would probably spell the end for Edwards, Donacien, Nsiala, Roberts, Kenlock etc to make way, which perhaps wouldn't be a bad thing.

A proven goal scorer at Championship level costs money. Unless you are Mick that is.
Say we go up on 11:14 - Nov 6 with 3765 viewsLankHenners

For me the concern is that we're not really playing with a particular style that we can translate up a league and we'll be playing much stronger teams so the reliance on making the most of extra quality on the pitch won't wash.

The flip side is that the squad is better than the one that got relegated but even with additions I can't really see anything other than a low finish around 18th/19th at best.

Would need to get the left back position sorted as Garbutt looks much better further forward and would be happy to sign him permanently on that basis. Wide players in general have been an issue for us but that needs addressing. Another striker - a Norwood type but with Championship experience ideally. Would need more defensive cover in general. Well stocked in central midfield but might need a sort out of who we want to keep/get rid of/loan out.

We'd probably need to invest 'significantly' by our standards but that would still put us way below the spending of the other teams.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Say we go up on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 3740 viewsitfcjoe

Until we get a consistent style and shape in place it's hard to know where the weak areas are - although the wide options are he biggie for me

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Say we go up on 11:28 - Nov 6 with 3721 viewsKieran_Knows

I think this side would struggle personally. I said on an earlier thread, this League is utter gash but if we came up against a half decent Championship side (I'm thinking Leeds, West Brom off the top of my head), they would probably stick 2 or 3 past us with relative ease.

As others have said, 4-5 good additions and I think we'd be okay. Think a very big decision next summer would be Chambers and Skuse and if we give them another year in the Championship, or seemingly replace them with more quality.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Say we go up on 11:31 - Nov 6 with 3714 viewsReuser_is_God

Say we go up on 11:25 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

Until we get a consistent style and shape in place it's hard to know where the weak areas are - although the wide options are he biggie for me

I think the 352 we had going suits us best, right now*

1 - we don't have to break up the very effective Norwood/Jackson partnership
2 - the strongest area of our squad is CM, this allows us to play 3 of them at all times
3 - the weakest area of our squad is out wide, however our 1st choice widemen (Garbutt & KVY) in this system have been very good

*however when Lankester & Sears are back this strengthens our wide striker options considerably

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Say we go up on 11:34 - Nov 6 with 3696 viewsActionMan

We'd need a keeper who can play at that level, to replace players such as Chambers and Skuse who will be too old, we couldn't get away with using Donacien, Kenlock, Edwards, Nsiala and Roberts at that level again, Wilson would be decent cover but he's not likely to be one that steps up. Downes and Vincent Young could, Jackson certainly struggled last season... would Norwood be good enough?

It doesn't look great on paper does it, especially knowing that Evans is going to expect Lambert to sell people to bring people in and our salable assets such as Downes and Vincent Young are the players we need to keep on in the first place.
Say we go up on 11:34 - Nov 6 with 3685 viewsBLUEBEAT

The answer is obviously no.

Poll: W or W

Say we go up on 11:41 - Nov 6 with 3661 viewsBogblue

Is this a trick question?!
Say we go up on 11:47 - Nov 6 with 3631 viewsLankHenners

Say we go up on 11:31 - Nov 6 by Reuser_is_God

I think the 352 we had going suits us best, right now*

1 - we don't have to break up the very effective Norwood/Jackson partnership
2 - the strongest area of our squad is CM, this allows us to play 3 of them at all times
3 - the weakest area of our squad is out wide, however our 1st choice widemen (Garbutt & KVY) in this system have been very good

*however when Lankester & Sears are back this strengthens our wide striker options considerably

If we want to go with 352, and I agree there are several reasons why it suits us, we need, for starters, to get in some defenders who are comfortable with the ball. Woolfenden's the best we've got in that department, but he's more 'long raking ball out to a wide position' than the lads at Sheff Utd (we're not going to get ones that good but you know what I mean).

I think we need to be coached how to play it properly as well, at the moment, like much of Lambert's 'tactics', it's all a bit chuck it together and see what happens. The midfield needs to demand the ball from the back and move it forwards better than they do at the moment which is Skuse or Nolan half heartedly showing for the ball every now and then.

Your asterisk point is key - I wonder if we'll return to a 433 once we have the better options for it available. Lankester/Sears/Jackson in the wide positions should help Norwood out and if we can't get a dominant midfield 3 together from the options we have then we're fools.

Say we go up on 11:54 - Nov 6 with 3614 viewsReuser_is_God

Say we go up on 11:47 - Nov 6 by LankHenners

If we want to go with 352, and I agree there are several reasons why it suits us, we need, for starters, to get in some defenders who are comfortable with the ball. Woolfenden's the best we've got in that department, but he's more 'long raking ball out to a wide position' than the lads at Sheff Utd (we're not going to get ones that good but you know what I mean).

I think we need to be coached how to play it properly as well, at the moment, like much of Lambert's 'tactics', it's all a bit chuck it together and see what happens. The midfield needs to demand the ball from the back and move it forwards better than they do at the moment which is Skuse or Nolan half heartedly showing for the ball every now and then.

Your asterisk point is key - I wonder if we'll return to a 433 once we have the better options for it available. Lankester/Sears/Jackson in the wide positions should help Norwood out and if we can't get a dominant midfield 3 together from the options we have then we're fools.

Yeah, your point re the CB's is valid. However I would say that the 3 we'd play now (JW, LC & LW) is perfectly fine for where we are currently. I do wonder if a left sided CB will be a priority for Lambert in January? I know he's mentioned it several times before & obviously Ndaba hasn't kicked on at all.

Also agree about the midfield. They need to be more dominant, especially if we went up.

That has always been my thoughts on the 433 as well, I think it's Lamberts preferred formation but we've lost our best (only?) 2 wide strikers in Sears & Lankester. I'm surprised Jackson hasn't been given a go out there.

I think January recruitment will tell us a lot about Lamberts thoughts going forward. We are now in a position where it's 1 or 2 incomings needed instead of the usual wholesale changes.

Evans out

Say we go up on 11:55 - Nov 6 with 3615 viewsitfcjoe

Say we go up on 11:47 - Nov 6 by LankHenners

I know Brennar banged on about that O'Connell last night but he defended well and was very good on the ball - there are players there they just need to be given the opportunity to play that way and work on it.

Say we go up on 11:56 - Nov 6 with 3607 viewsReuser_is_God

Say we go up on 11:55 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

I know Brennar banged on about that O'Connell last night but he defended well and was very good on the ball - there are players there they just need to be given the opportunity to play that way and work on it.

Was he a leftie Joe?

Evans out

Say we go up on 11:58 - Nov 6 with 3593 viewsBloomBlue

You couldn't class Charlton as a special team last season in some ways they sneaked into promotion I think they even sold their best striker after promotion and they aren't doing too badly in the championship.

Football is 80% confidence 20% ability, all promoted teams are confident.
Say we go up on 11:58 - Nov 6 with 3595 viewsMrTown

No, we are miles off.

It is as simple as that really.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Say we go up on 12:00 - Nov 6 with 3584 viewsitfcjoe

Say we go up on 11:56 - Nov 6 by Reuser_is_God

Was he a leftie Joe?

Was right footed, but was very comfortable on it

Say we go up on 12:09 - Nov 6 with 3544 viewsLankHenners

Say we go up on 11:54 - Nov 6 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah, your point re the CB's is valid. However I would say that the 3 we'd play now (JW, LC & LW) is perfectly fine for where we are currently. I do wonder if a left sided CB will be a priority for Lambert in January? I know he's mentioned it several times before & obviously Ndaba hasn't kicked on at all.

Also agree about the midfield. They need to be more dominant, especially if we went up.

That has always been my thoughts on the 433 as well, I think it's Lamberts preferred formation but we've lost our best (only?) 2 wide strikers in Sears & Lankester. I'm surprised Jackson hasn't been given a go out there.

I think January recruitment will tell us a lot about Lamberts thoughts going forward. We are now in a position where it's 1 or 2 incomings needed instead of the usual wholesale changes.

Yeah maybe, would be nice to have that balance.

Agree, January can be a bit of a funny one for recruitment though. Wouldn't be against a Norwood type deal where we work on arrangements behind the scenes to get someone in in the summer if prising them away is too difficult/costly.

Say we go up on 12:10 - Nov 6 with 3525 viewsLankHenners

Say we go up on 11:55 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

Yeah he looked very assured indeed.

Say we go up on 12:16 - Nov 6 with 3495 viewsSuperblue95

Say we go up on 11:34 - Nov 6 by BLUEBEAT

The answer is obviously no.

How can an either/or question be answered ‘no’?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Say we go up on 12:18 - Nov 6 with 3492 viewsDarth_Koont

I think a lot depends on how strong a team we develop by then and how much our talented youngsters like Downes, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Nydam, Lankester, Morris, Dobra and El Mizouni can add to it — and even show a potential beyond the Championship. Our established senior players won't be anything special in the Championship and possibly a weakness.

The confidence and momentum of promotion would definitely help but unless three or four of the kids really push on this year and next I think we'd be another lower-half side looking over our shoulders. It would be a huge shame to have to sell someone like Downes who already looks the real deal in order to fill gaps and cover weaknesses.

Pronouns: He/Him

Say we go up on 12:20 - Nov 6 with 3466 viewsthatdamgood89

Yes and No. Confidence is something you can't buy and we will finally have it in bags.

We will, of course, need between 2-4 additions but our spine is so strong these days and just will need adding to when Chambo etc can't go.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Say we go up on 12:24 - Nov 6 with 3442 viewsDarth_Koont

Say we go up on 12:20 - Nov 6 by thatdamgood89

Yes and No. Confidence is something you can't buy and we will finally have it in bags.

We will, of course, need between 2-4 additions but our spine is so strong these days and just will need adding to when Chambo etc can't go.

Is our spine that strong? At least for the Championship?

Be interesting to see and I'm not ruling out the others like Holy, Woolfenden, Jackson etc but I'm only confident about Downes on that score.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024