Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 00:44 - Nov 6 with 1133 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is it a sign of something good when we win while not playing particularly well? That is not to say we were poor. Just a meh performance.

Pretty much deja vu of Gillingham or MK Dons matches where we benefit from the opposition's lack of quality in the box. However the credit must go to our central backs who stood strong and made Norris' evening relatively quiet in the second half.

First half disappointing to say the least. Apart from hitting the post and bar we hadn't had a shot on target and their goalkeeper had nothing to do. Too many pointless long balls. No ideas how to unlock their defence. Our main attempts albeit mostly unsuccessful had been coming from Rowe. At least he tried while we can't say that about Judge. The latter offered nothing in the first half.
Rochdale caused us a few problems and had they scored a goal from their couple of chances we couldn't have begrudged them. Their young kid Matheson who had scored a goal for them at Old Trafford in League Cup back in September was their liveliest player.

Guess the players got kick up the arses as we were very good and quick in the first 15-20 minutes of the second half. Got the deserved goal and unfortunately that wasn't followed by a real intent to put the game to bed. Yes Judge (who improved in the second half) launched a good shot saved by their goalkeeper, Jackson had one on one saved but for me there was no big drive to make it 2-0 and game over. The defence though was exemplary and kept Rochdale forwards really quiet. That is why Woolfenden and Chambers will have been my MOTM closely followed by Rowe.

Sooner or later though someone is going to score a late equaliser against us and if we keep playing like that !

It was a cold evening and before the game I said I'd take ugly 1-0 win as it was all about grinding out the result. Still though I didn't like that tension in the second half.

Rochdale certainly lacked in quality to make it tougher for us just like some past opponents but they made up for in spirit, drive and determination. We kind of looked like a side that has been getting by because we have better players than opposition.

All in all 3 points, back to the top but, but, but .... A few 'buts' from me however I'll stay quiet for now and enjoy the stats (7 away wins) and the league position ;)
Match thoughts on 02:55 - Nov 6 with 1039 viewsharlingblue

Mach_foreignBlue are your thoughts about PL?
Match thoughts on 06:19 - Nov 6 with 979 viewsBluefish

Can someone let Mach know that Mick McCarthy has his twtd login details?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 07:05 - Nov 6 with 913 viewsBloomBlue

But we did play well last night especially in the second half that was an excellent performance.
Match thoughts on 09:11 - Nov 6 with 772 viewsWickets

Match thoughts on 07:05 - Nov 6 by BloomBlue

But we did play well last night especially in the second half that was an excellent performance.

Second half was a very good away performance at no time did it look as though they could score once we got in front .
Match thoughts on 09:19 - Nov 6 with 752 viewsHerbivore

Match thoughts on 09:11 - Nov 6 by Wickets

Second half was a very good away performance at no time did it look as though they could score once we got in front .

Apart from when their number 8 had a cross end up at his feet, unmarked, 6 yards out. We do still concede good chances regularly but we're not getting punished because we're playing against pub players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Agreed, it reminded me of..... on 09:48 - Nov 6 with 700 viewsBloots

....our performances from a few years back. Grinding out a result without creating many chances and relying on a solid defence.

We should have probably brought on a more defensive player for the last 20 mins, you're right we are going to get caught out soon.

But yes, you're right it's the result that matters not the performance.

Been saying that for years.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024