Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off to Rome next week... 15:31 - Nov 4 with 4619 viewsKieran_Knows

... and could use the fountain of all knowledge which is TWTD for some help. Doing all the usual tourist attractions, but was just wondering if anyone knew of any decent restaurants/bars for some food/drinks in the evening? Or are they all similar? Staying fairly central in Rome, no more than 10 minutes walk to most attractions, but quite happy to venture out a little if there was somewhere decent to go.

Cheers all.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Off to Rome next week... on 15:37 - Nov 4 with 3768 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.ristoranteilpagliaccio.com/en/menu/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Off to Rome next week... on 15:43 - Nov 4 with 3758 viewsWD19

Just walk and keep walking. Get lost as much as possible and you will find plenty.

Avoid the squares around all of the attractions when it comes to eating. Whilst they are great for people watching the food is generally expensive and crap.....and you will get pestered by hawkers trying to sell cheap battery powered tat....
Off to Rome next week... on 15:44 - Nov 4 with 3753 viewsm14_blue

Allow yourself time to just wander round and soak it all in, don’t rush around too much trying to see everything.

Incredible, unique, place - enjoy!
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 15:58]
Off to Rome next week... on 16:03 - Nov 4 with 3718 viewsMatt_Netherlands

If you can from where you're staying, wander across the river into Travestere. Far more 'local' than all the tourist traps and you'll find a lot more of an after work crowd there and good small, family run places. Definitely the kind of place to just wander the back streets and find somewhere - but Dar Poeta (Pizza) in Travestere is really good and reasonable (We had starters, pizzas and drinks for two and it was c.30 euros).

Campo De Fiori is a buzzing marketplace in the day and then at night a square full of bars and restaurants. Wouldn't say any are great for food, but if you want somewhere for a drink and a spot of people watching there here is as good as any and less touristy than Piazza Navona.

My best recommendation would be to see the Trevi Fountain at night. Can't get near it during the day but go at 10pm onward and its completely different.

Have a good one!
Off to Rome next week... on 16:06 - Nov 4 with 3721 viewsartsbossbeard

Walk, walk and keep on walking.

The restaurants on the main Rome streets aren't cheap BUT take a wander up a side street and you'll find pizzeria's/restaurants aplenty that are both cheaper and frankly better.

If you want to visit The Vatican either go early or late in the day, the queues are ridiculous otherwise. Also, if you can find an English speaking guide to take you around The Colosseum, do take advantage, it's well worth the circa 10 euros that you'll pay. Apparently, American tourists always prefer a guided tour and you can tag along if extra bodies are required to make it worth the guides time.

Enjoy, it's a wonderful place. Take plenty of pictures.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Off to Rome next week... on 16:10 - Nov 4 with 3708 viewsfooters

Off to Rome next week... on 15:37 - Nov 4 by factual_blue

https://www.ristoranteilpagliaccio.com/en/menu/

I think you mean Bella Napoli.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Off to Rome next week... on 16:13 - Nov 4 with 3701 viewsSarge

Excellent coffee here, and very rude which seems to be the hallmark of quality in Italy. Different prices depending on whether you sit down or stand up but for a quick espresso it’s very good.

https://santeustachioilcaffe.com/it/
Off to Rome next week... on 16:20 - Nov 4 with 3676 viewsfactual_blue

Off to Rome next week... on 15:43 - Nov 4 by WD19

Just walk and keep walking. Get lost as much as possible and you will find plenty.

Avoid the squares around all of the attractions when it comes to eating. Whilst they are great for people watching the food is generally expensive and crap.....and you will get pestered by hawkers trying to sell cheap battery powered tat....

However, don't keep walking in a straight line. You'll end up back at Gatwick.

Take it from one who knows.

Login to get fewer ads

Off to Rome next week... on 16:34 - Nov 4 with 3641 viewsjaykay

nip into the vatican while you are there, i heard the pope is a big town fan.
although it might be full in there with norwich supporters praying for a miracle

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Off to Rome next week... on 16:49 - Nov 4 with 3620 viewsjontysnut

There's a craft beer scene - check out Rate Beer. Pack a Michael Dibdin Aurelio Zen novel and avoid blokes dressed as Centurians.
Off to Rome next week... on 16:53 - Nov 4 with 3608 viewsStokieBlue

Did a good food tour there a few years back - 4/5 hours walking around in the evening trying loads of different places the local guide knew. Lovely food and lots of drinks. Might be worth a shout if you can't settle on a decision.

For "attractions", the Baths of Caracalla are often overlooked and only a 5-10 minute walk from the Colosseum if you fancy something a bit different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baths_of_Caracalla

In the Vatican The Sistine Chapel is a huge letdown but the Gallery of Maps is superb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Gallery_of_Maps

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Off to Rome next week... on 16:59 - Nov 4 with 3587 viewsHerbivore

Eat here, best dinner I had in Rome: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d3901814-Reviews-Est_Art

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Off to Rome next week... on 17:02 - Nov 4 with 3585 viewschicoazul

Eat as much ice cream as possible. There is nothing in the world like Italian ice cream.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Off to Rome next week... on 17:04 - Nov 4 with 3577 viewsHerbivore

Off to Rome next week... on 17:02 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

Eat as much ice cream as possible. There is nothing in the world like Italian ice cream.

It's gelato, not ice cream. They are made differently. Peasant.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2019 17:04]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Off to Rome next week... on 17:56 - Nov 4 with 3524 viewschicoazul

Off to Rome next week... on 17:02 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

(the French do bad ice cream and bad desserts in general sorry but it's true)

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Off to Rome next week... on 18:08 - Nov 4 with 3507 viewsGuthrum

Make sure when there you do as the Romans.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Off to Rome next week... on 18:22 - Nov 4 with 3477 viewsWD19

Off to Rome next week... on 18:08 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

Ideally without the crashing mopeds into one another, shouty, stabbing in the bottom stuff.
Off to Rome next week... on 18:38 - Nov 4 with 3456 viewsMeadowlark

"Fount"
Off to Rome next week... on 19:11 - Nov 4 with 3435 viewsconnorscontract

4 tips:

1... A restaurant: the main station has a food hall/market. One option is to go from place to place picking and choosing like this article suggests-

https://www.romeing.it/mercato-centrale-roma-termini/

Another is to go upstairs to La Tavola di Oliver Glowig. I loved it! Article about it here-

https://romebymouth.com/la-tavola-il-vino-e-la-dispensa-di-oliver-glowig/

2... A place to see that may not be on your list: The Basilica of Saint Clement is one of many striking churches in Rome which was built over centuries and so has architectural quirks. So far so 2.5 stars on TripAdvisor. But it is built on top of an early christian church, and you can go down into this ancient building in the crypt. OK 3.5 stars...

BUT THAT was built on a pagan temple, and you can go down from the ancient church in the crypt to the pagan temple, and out into the street (still below ground today) and into an Ancient Roman classroom. It's a solid 4.5 stars and most people don't know about it.

Website here: http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/eng/

3... A tip about the number one tourist place: you may or may not have read already that if you buy a ticket to the Colisseum it also gives you admission to the Forum, and you can do that visit within 24 hours of the first one.

4... A tip about bars and restaurants in busy squares: others have said avoid bars and restaurants in busy tourist squares. Kinda... One top site to visit is the Pantheon. Go near the middle of the day and the sunlight floods in and bounces around the gilded interior. Amazing and FREE!!!!

But then go back in the night time. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the square. Go a bit later and ask the waiter if you can have a table just for a drink. They'll be fine if they're not busy. Sit outside and have a drink as you look at a true Ancient Wonder. If the drink costs slightly more (but in my experience they had offers on cocktails or whatever off-season) then you are paying for the view, but it will still be cheaper than London prices.

Finally, a BONUS travel tip for all TWTDers that applies ANYWHERE in the world.
Go to Google type "best restaurants with a view in <NAME OF CITY YOU ARE GOING TO>"
Open a new tab. Google "Best rooftop bars in <NAME OF CITY YOU ARE GOING TO>"

Best Restaurants with a view Rome from local Romeing.it website:
https://www.romeing.it/best-restaurants-with-a-view-in-rome/

Or Trip Advisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187791-zfp43-Rome_Lazio.html

Here are the Roof Top bars for Rome from Time Out:
https://www.timeout.com/rome/things-to-do/best-rooftop-bars-in-rome

And here is the excellent Rooftop Guide:
https://www.therooftopguide.com/rooftop-bars-in-rome.html

Obviously, browse, look at the bar or restaurant's own website and check prices, and cross reference with Trip Advisor for recent reviews.

This way you get amazing views and decent food or drink, sometimes for the same money as getting the same view from an official viewing platform (eg I told someone on here about an amazing Michelin recommended Korean restaurant on the top floor of a hotel directly opposite the Empire State Building, 3 courses with Korean "brandies" for not much more money than going to the Top of the Rock).

This is THE winner of all tips!
Off to Rome next week... on 19:17 - Nov 4 with 3422 viewsandytown

Off to Rome next week... on 18:38 - Nov 4 by Meadowlark

"Fount"

I enjoyed The Pantheon, it's a church but is simply a hemispherical dome.
The Roman Forum also good if you like wandering around big ruins.
And if there's a match get down to the Stadio Olympico and enjoy the flares.
Off to Rome next week... on 19:18 - Nov 4 with 3419 viewsfactual_blue

They've done nothing for us.

Off to Rome next week... on 19:24 - Nov 4 with 3405 viewsconnorscontract

Don't fall for that one! I threw a metal net over a man and stabbed him with a trident, and I got arrested.
Off to Rome next week... on 20:08 - Nov 4 with 3324 viewsReuser_is_God

Fcuk me you’re always on holiday.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Off to Rome next week... on 20:16 - Nov 4 with 3299 viewsscotdoc

Off to Rome next week... on 19:24 - Nov 4 by connorscontract

Don't fall for that one! I threw a metal net over a man and stabbed him with a trident, and I got arrested.

Not perhaps the best time of year for this,but wander through the Borghese gardens -acres of tranquility.
Walk in the footsteps of giants in the forum
Colosseum if never done before.
Vatican overrated but has to be done once in a lifetime.
Enjoy the loveliness of the trevi.
Marvel at the pantheon.
136 steps of piazza spagna.
And just drink in the most beautiful city in the world.
Have a ball😁
Off to Rome next week... on 20:50 - Nov 4 with 3250 viewsBlueBadger

Off to Rome next week... on 20:08 - Nov 4 by Reuser_is_God

Fcuk me you’re always on holiday.

He gets a free ride on Fergal's flying moped.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024