Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline 12:44 - Oct 29 with 14951 viewsfooters

Last night I attended a music recital. At one point a young chap (transfixed on his phone, of course) bumped into me, spilling half my pint. He apologised and walked away quickly. Now, is it just me or should he have at least offered a replacement? That's the way I was brought up anyhow.

That got me thinking and must say I've noticed a sharp increase in people ignoring the traditional pub queue as well, just ordering whenever the bar staff ask, instead of correctly pointing out the people who were there before.

Another incident was a mate of mine putting a 50p on a pool table to reserve our spot a while ago. Isn't that normal? The chaps playing didn't seem to think so and told him to remove it before things got physical. We played darts instead.

Are these noble British traditions still in practice elsewhere, or have I merely been unlucky? Whatever the case, it's certainly worrying.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:47 - Oct 29 with 5452 viewsHerbivore

The queue thing has been building up over a number of years and now there is almost no respect at all for the concept of waiting your turn. He should have offered you a new pint as well, no question. The pool table one is just weird and not something I've encountered, fortunately.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:50 - Oct 29 with 5430 viewsSpruceMoose

Brexit Britain mate.

All the real things that made the UK quite nice like queuing and respect for public decency are in the bin. People spent too much time worrying about blue passports, brown people and straight bananas, and took their eye of preserving the important stuff.

Maybe I notice it more as an infrequent visitor. Every time I come back the UK seems a little shabbier. Heartbreaking stuff really.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 12:52]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:53 - Oct 29 with 5411 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:47 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

The queue thing has been building up over a number of years and now there is almost no respect at all for the concept of waiting your turn. He should have offered you a new pint as well, no question. The pool table one is just weird and not something I've encountered, fortunately.

Thing is, I wouldn't have even bothered dragging him to the bar to get me a new one. But that the youth of today think they can swan about spilling people's pints willy-nilly is a shocking state of affairs. An offer should have been made, but this sickening moral corruption continues apace.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:55 - Oct 29 with 5401 viewsStokieBlue

It's just a general thing now.

Transport is especially bad - nobody respects the queues for the bus and people now seem to try and push onto vehicles before people have gotten off which is ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:56 - Oct 29 with 5389 viewsartsbossbeard

I'll take the bar rule one stage further.

Should one of my fellow pub attendees rightfully point out to the bar person (who really shouldn't ask, it's part of their job to know) that I'm next, I'll thank him/her, explain that I've got a round to get in and if he/she's just got a couple, they can go firstly.

How terribly English.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:57 - Oct 29 with 5371 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:56 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

Should one of my fellow pub attendees rightfully point out to the bar person (who really shouldn't ask, it's part of their job to know) that I'm next, I'll thank him/her, explain that I've got a round to get in and if he/she's just got a couple, they can go firstly.

How terribly English.

This should be in the textbook of Great British Bar Etiquette.

You're a dying breed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:58 - Oct 29 with 5363 viewsWD19

Pubs are an interesting case study in themselves. There are far fewer of them, in part because people would rather get pissed at home and shout at others on the internet, rather than risk interacting with other human beings in person.

We live in a country where people buy 'drive thru' coffee and hoik the empty cups out of the window. Queuing generally is seen as a mugs game, rather than just what considerate humans do. In fact just being considerate is seen as unnecessary, because the internet doesn't require you to bother and/or give you a dirty sideways glance when you behave like a tosser.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:59 - Oct 29 with 5342 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:58 - Oct 29 by WD19

Pubs are an interesting case study in themselves. There are far fewer of them, in part because people would rather get pissed at home and shout at others on the internet, rather than risk interacting with other human beings in person.

We live in a country where people buy 'drive thru' coffee and hoik the empty cups out of the window. Queuing generally is seen as a mugs game, rather than just what considerate humans do. In fact just being considerate is seen as unnecessary, because the internet doesn't require you to bother and/or give you a dirty sideways glance when you behave like a tosser.

So reading between the lines of your post, what you seem to be suggesting is that large parts of the country could do with a good old nuking?

I could get behind this idea.

Login to get fewer ads

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:00 - Oct 29 with 5331 viewsBluefish

If you drink at places where it costs 50p to play pool then you only have yourself to blame

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 with 5321 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:00 - Oct 29 by Bluefish

If you drink at places where it costs 50p to play pool then you only have yourself to blame

You only play at tables that take notes presumably?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 with 5316 viewsartsbossbeard

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:55 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

Transport is especially bad - nobody respects the queues for the bus and people now seem to try and push onto vehicles before people have gotten off which is ridiculous.

SB

There was a story doing the round the other day about an elderly couple who refused to move out of their seats on a train for a family of 5 who'd pre-booked said seats.

When in Oz, we were travelling on the fantastic tram service along The Gold Coast and a bunch of baseball capped, basketball vest wearing youth got on heading for Surfers Paradise. Next stop, two old dears get on and two of the lads immediately got up and gave their seats up AND without the others smirking at them either.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 with 5312 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:55 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

SB

That's definitely true, and the not letting people off first thing boils my piss.

Was getting a coach to Stansted once from Victoria and a load of people just crammed on ahead of us. The coach filled up, doors closed and drove off. Luckily there was another just behind but not really the done thing to barge women and kiddies out of the way!

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:02 - Oct 29 with 5304 viewsBluefish

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

You only play at tables that take notes presumably?

Can't be many drinking establishments left that have a pool table but those that do haven't been 50p for a long time

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:02 - Oct 29 with 5305 viewsWD19

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:59 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

So reading between the lines of your post, what you seem to be suggesting is that large parts of the country could do with a good old nuking?

I could get behind this idea.

I am increasingly of the view that the world would be a better place if c.5bn people just disappeared.

Unfortunately I haven't yet got around to making the list of exactly who, so its not going to happen anytime soon.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:03 - Oct 29 with 5291 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:00 - Oct 29 by Bluefish

The Fenerbahce Snooker Club is a fine establishment, I won't hear a word against it.

Come to think of it, maybe it was my Galatasaray shirt that caused the reaction?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:05]

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:05 - Oct 29 with 5277 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 by footers

That's definitely true, and the not letting people off first thing boils my piss.

Was getting a coach to Stansted once from Victoria and a load of people just crammed on ahead of us. The coach filled up, doors closed and drove off. Luckily there was another just behind but not really the done thing to barge women and kiddies out of the way!

I thought you would have developed sharp elbows living in the big city by now? It's tough to be courteous in a place where nobody else is, as you always come last and always feel like the sucker.

I've reached the point now where every commute is like a Royal Rumble. I will tombstone pile driver a tiny Asian grandmother for that last standing space on the subway. I don't enjoy, but I that's the way the world is now.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:06 - Oct 29 with 5267 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:03 - Oct 29 by footers

The Fenerbahce Snooker Club is a fine establishment, I won't hear a word against it.

Come to think of it, maybe it was my Galatasaray shirt that caused the reaction?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:05]

I told you before about the dangers of leaping onto the table and planting a flag in the middle...

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:06 - Oct 29 with 5262 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:05 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I thought you would have developed sharp elbows living in the big city by now? It's tough to be courteous in a place where nobody else is, as you always come last and always feel like the sucker.

I've reached the point now where every commute is like a Royal Rumble. I will tombstone pile driver a tiny Asian grandmother for that last standing space on the subway. I don't enjoy, but I that's the way the world is now.

I'd rather be a sucker with good manners than a bad-mannered cock with a seat on a coach. Nuff said.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:08]

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:07 - Oct 29 with 5253 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:06 - Oct 29 by footers

I'd rather be a sucker with good manners than a bad-mannered cock with a seat on a coach. Nuff said.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:08]

Those would be your last words as I used my foot to stuff you out of the 2 inch opening in the window.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:07]

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:09 - Oct 29 with 5204 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

There was a story doing the round the other day about an elderly couple who refused to move out of their seats on a train for a family of 5 who'd pre-booked said seats.

When in Oz, we were travelling on the fantastic tram service along The Gold Coast and a bunch of baseball capped, basketball vest wearing youth got on heading for Surfers Paradise. Next stop, two old dears get on and two of the lads immediately got up and gave their seats up AND without the others smirking at them either.

Which brings us to people who leave their bags on train seats while people look for somewhere to sit.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:09 - Oct 29 with 5206 viewshampstead_blue

I'm with you all the way on those points.

I put the 50p down on the pool table in a pub in Haverfordwest on Saturday, on the lash with my middle son who's serving down that way.
Was a bit unsure as the Welsh sometimes can be bit prickly, especially to squaddies.
Went Ok but we did get a few looks.

On the queue it does wrong foot people nowadays if you do say 'no you are next'.

Manners......eroding fast

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:10 - Oct 29 with 5190 viewsBloomBlue

Obviously a classier pub than normal, certainly in a number of pubs around here in this part of London if someone spilt your beer and didn't offer to replace it the etiquette would be to glass him using the half filled pint glass.

In terms of the 50p isnt that a bit last century everything is chip n pin now. If he had left his debit card on the pool table no problem, probably confused them using cash.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:12 - Oct 29 with 5171 viewsartsbossbeard

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:09 - Oct 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Which brings us to people who leave their bags on train seats while people look for somewhere to sit.

Hanging is too good for these people.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:33 - Oct 29 with 5093 viewsPinewoodblue

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:56 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

How terribly English.

Spot on decent bar staff are hard to find. Knowing who was next to be served used to be an important part of the job as did not needing a till to total the bill.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 5026 viewsBluefish

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:33 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

Spot on decent bar staff are hard to find. Knowing who was next to be served used to be an important part of the job as did not needing a till to total the bill.

I worked in the busiest nightclub in east Anglia for years and the bar would be 10 deep. I always knew who was next but the order in which i served people went as follows

Mates
The bloke who slipped me £20 earlier
The girl most likely to take me home
Off duty staff
Regulars
The next in the queue
Annoying gobby sorts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024