Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The biggest down-side to today 17:04 - Oct 26 with 2294 viewsGuthrum

Skuse and KVY going off injured, Downes getting a 5th yellow.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The biggest down-side to today on 17:06 - Oct 26 with 2257 viewsOldsmoker

On the plus side, Holy didn't let in a goal.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The biggest down-side to today on 17:06 - Oct 26 with 2259 viewsGeoffSentence

Not playing next Saturday are we? Should give those two a few more recovery days.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The biggest down-side to today on 17:12 - Oct 26 with 2169 viewspointofblue

Hopefully the extra rest will give time to Skuse and Vincent-Young to recover. Huge shame about Downes though.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The biggest down-side to today on 17:15 - Oct 26 with 2106 viewswkj

The biggest down-side to today on 17:12 - Oct 26 by pointofblue

Hopefully the extra rest will give time to Skuse and Vincent-Young to recover. Huge shame about Downes though.

That is gonna be Downes game, great midfielder, but Matt Holland's composure he has not.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The biggest down-side to today on 17:15 - Oct 26 with 2101 viewsStokieBlue

All bad but the biggest downside was that our midfield still is ineffectual :(.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The biggest down-side to today on 17:16 - Oct 26 with 2068 viewsSuperblue95

The biggest down-side to today on 17:15 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

SB

Same as the last 20 years then

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

The biggest down-side to today on 17:25 - Oct 26 with 1986 viewsGuthrum

SB

The central pairing mostly kept the opposition out. Tho the wide-men were less than effective.

The biggest down-side to today on 17:26 - Oct 26 with 1978 viewsurbanblue

SB

I wouldn't say ineffectual. Nolan played well and Downes, although not at his best did a job. To me, the problem was down the flanks where we were weak. Rowe was poor and Edwards only bang average. Not convinced by Garbutt at LB at all.
Login to get fewer ads

The biggest down-side to today on 17:33 - Oct 26 with 1887 viewsStokieBlue

The biggest down-side to today on 17:25 - Oct 26 by Guthrum

The central pairing mostly kept the opposition out. Tho the wide-men were less than effective.

Is that being effectual though?

Sure we can keep teams out and Nolan was tidy when he came on and played well but there is no linkage between the back and front through the midfield. Our goals were from the attackers doing it all themselves.

Both wide men contributed nothing, neither looked to beat a man and get in behind. We have excellent midfielders - we need to find a way to use them and get them running the game and creating chances for the forwards.

SB

The biggest down-side to today on 17:54 - Oct 26 with 1705 viewsGuthrum

The biggest down-side to today on 17:33 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

Is that being effectual though?

Sure we can keep teams out and Nolan was tidy when he came on and played well but there is no linkage between the back and front through the midfield. Our goals were from the attackers doing it all themselves.

Both wide men contributed nothing, neither looked to beat a man and get in behind. We have excellent midfielders - we need to find a way to use them and get them running the game and creating chances for the forwards.

SB

It wins us games more often than not.

The big problem we have is that our most creative players are all in the same position or (Garbutt, KVY) are required at FB. Georgiou is the exception and Lambert doesn't seem to trust him with a start (tho I think he'd have come off the bench today without the injuries).

If we need two up front and two holding (which we do seem to), that doesn't leave spare slots for Huws/Nolan/Judge without leaving the team extremely narrow. 5 (inc wingbacks)-2-1-2 is perhaps ideal, but has proven weak if players have an off-day or the best ones are missing. Also hard work for Garbutt and KVY.

We really need another winger or two, or for one of the others to discover a raging desire to go out wide.

The biggest down-side to today on 17:57 - Oct 26 with 1664 viewsStokieBlue

The biggest down-side to today on 17:54 - Oct 26 by Guthrum

It wins us games more often than not.

The big problem we have is that our most creative players are all in the same position or (Garbutt, KVY) are required at FB. Georgiou is the exception and Lambert doesn't seem to trust him with a start (tho I think he'd have come off the bench today without the injuries).

If we need two up front and two holding (which we do seem to), that doesn't leave spare slots for Huws/Nolan/Judge without leaving the team extremely narrow. 5 (inc wingbacks)-2-1-2 is perhaps ideal, but has proven weak if players have an off-day or the best ones are missing. Also hard work for Garbutt and KVY.

We really need another winger or two, or for one of the others to discover a raging desire to go out wide.

"It wins us games more often than not."

In this league you are undoubtedly right but it's not this league we need to be preparing for - we need to be cementing a style of play and method that the players are comfortable with and will work next season if we manage to get up.

We need to up front because the midfield don't supply enough as was proven today - the two up front did it mostly themselves.

We have Georgiou - it's a mystery why he's not playing given Edwards is totally lost at the moment and very poor.

It's a good result but for quite a bit of the game Southend passed it through midfield easier than we did. It's fine but it will be more a problem against the better teams near the top.

SB
[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 18:01]

The biggest down-side to today on 18:23 - Oct 26 with 1492 viewsGuthrum

The biggest down-side to today on 17:57 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

"It wins us games more often than not."

In this league you are undoubtedly right but it's not this league we need to be preparing for - we need to be cementing a style of play and method that the players are comfortable with and will work next season if we manage to get up.

We need to up front because the midfield don't supply enough as was proven today - the two up front did it mostly themselves.

We have Georgiou - it's a mystery why he's not playing given Edwards is totally lost at the moment and very poor.

It's a good result but for quite a bit of the game Southend passed it through midfield easier than we did. It's fine but it will be more a problem against the better teams near the top.

SB
[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 18:01]

I don't think we can start preparing too seriously for the Championship at this stage. We do not currently have the squad to forge a successful second tier side (quite a lot of them didn't do too well in it last season, others are getting to the end of their careers).

We need two up front because, as we have seen for several seasons, the alternative is impotent isolation. Unless we can get some genuine wingers or wing-backs (who do not break easily), that is going to remain a problem, unless the defence gets tight enough we only need the one holding MF. Lambert obviously does not believe Georgiou can do it for a full 90 minutes (he is still quite young and very raw).

We have a problem with our most creative players being in the wrong positions (all CM, not wide men).

The biggest down-side to today on 18:35 - Oct 26 with 1422 viewsGlasgowBlue

The biggest down-side to today on 17:26 - Oct 26 by urbanblue

I wouldn't say ineffectual. Nolan played well and Downes, although not at his best did a job. To me, the problem was down the flanks where we were weak. Rowe was poor and Edwards only bang average. Not convinced by Garbutt at LB at all.

I think we need a left back in January and push Garbutt further forward. No issue with him as a wing back when we play three at the back.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The biggest down-side to today on 18:38 - Oct 26 with 1392 viewsStokieBlue

The biggest down-side to today on 18:23 - Oct 26 by Guthrum

I don't think we can start preparing too seriously for the Championship at this stage. We do not currently have the squad to forge a successful second tier side (quite a lot of them didn't do too well in it last season, others are getting to the end of their careers).

We need two up front because, as we have seen for several seasons, the alternative is impotent isolation. Unless we can get some genuine wingers or wing-backs (who do not break easily), that is going to remain a problem, unless the defence gets tight enough we only need the one holding MF. Lambert obviously does not believe Georgiou can do it for a full 90 minutes (he is still quite young and very raw).

We have a problem with our most creative players being in the wrong positions (all CM, not wide men).

He's 22 - seems little point loaning someone of that age if you're unwilling to even bring them on as a sub.

They are all good points - just doesn't seem like we are not really making progress with regards to formulating a methodology of playing and the results mask that because the division is simply not very good.

SB

The biggest down-side to today on 18:46 - Oct 26 with 1365 viewsGuthrum

The biggest down-side to today on 18:38 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

He's 22 - seems little point loaning someone of that age if you're unwilling to even bring them on as a sub.

They are all good points - just doesn't seem like we are not really making progress with regards to formulating a methodology of playing and the results mask that because the division is simply not very good.

SB

I think when Sears is back, we may see him out wide on the left. He has the pace, experience and, with at least two strikers to aim for, could be lethal in L1.

Perhaps Georgiou is not as effective as hoped, except in short bursts. Tho I think he would have come on today had it not been for the injuries. He has made sub appearances in the majority of League games since he arrived at Ipswich, so it's not like we aren't using him.

The biggest down-side to today on 20:17 - Oct 26 with 1151 viewslmfcblue

The biggest down-side to today on 17:26 - Oct 26 by urbanblue

Georgiou looked the most threatening player midweek and gets no minutes.. injuries didn’t help but still a shame.
I’d have hooked Edwards over Rowe though
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024