Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I love silly things like this 08:57 - Oct 25 with 802 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/20919630/yahoo-groups-uk-ofcom-simwood-numbe

Our national phone infrastructure relies on Yahoo! Groups being functional.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I love silly things like this on 09:39 - Oct 25 with 746 viewsOldsmoker

If it ain't broke then don't fix it.
Err, it will be broken in about 6 weeks so I guess we better fix it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I love silly things like this on 09:56 - Oct 25 with 729 viewsGunnsAirkick

I work for a small software company.

Whenever I think we're not doing things inefficiently (we're quite harsh on ourselves), I am reminded by a huge organisation what inefficiency really is (another recent example is Greene King, you wouldn't believe how many different pieces of software they use based on what a Developer told me recently).
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 9:58]
I love silly things like this on 10:23 - Oct 25 with 703 viewsDanTheMan

I love silly things like this on 09:56 - Oct 25 by GunnsAirkick

Whenever I think we're not doing things inefficiently (we're quite harsh on ourselves), I am reminded by a huge organisation what inefficiency really is (another recent example is Greene King, you wouldn't believe how many different pieces of software they use based on what a Developer told me recently).

I work in the "communication" industry as a dev.

This is but a tip of the iceberg. Some of the things are absolutely mental.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I love silly things like this on 10:26 - Oct 25 with 699 viewsOldsmoker

I love silly things like this on 09:56 - Oct 25 by GunnsAirkick

I started working as a programmer in the late '70's.
It was mainly in the manufacturing industry.
The problem then was connectivity or lack of it. Computers just didn't 'talk' to each other. We had British-built production lines with Siemens contol systems bolted on.
Siemens had a permanent office at each of our factories dedicated to trying to get their software to work. 2 years this went on before someone suggested we drop the Baud rate from 9600 to 2400 and see if that might make a difference. The slower rate had some success so we dropped it to 1200 and Eureka! 2 years of faffing about and it was that simple.
I don't work there anymore but I suspect those same legacy systems are still in place.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I love silly things like this on 10:48 - Oct 25 with 678 viewsSwailsey

Lovely stuff, thanks for that.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I love silly things like this on 14:12 - Oct 25 with 630 viewshomer_123

I love silly things like this on 10:26 - Oct 25 by Oldsmoker

I started working as a programmer in the late '70's.
It was mainly in the manufacturing industry.
The problem then was connectivity or lack of it. Computers just didn't 'talk' to each other. We had British-built production lines with Siemens contol systems bolted on.
Siemens had a permanent office at each of our factories dedicated to trying to get their software to work. 2 years this went on before someone suggested we drop the Baud rate from 9600 to 2400 and see if that might make a difference. The slower rate had some success so we dropped it to 1200 and Eureka! 2 years of faffing about and it was that simple.
I don't work there anymore but I suspect those same legacy systems are still in place.

It's interesting though isn't it - if it still works, productive, maintainable and reliable why change it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024