Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 22:31 - Oct 23 with 5137 viewskizaitfc

I have been a huge fan of him for years

But the inability to take the ball from the back four and get his team up the pitch at this level is just poor.

People complain about the long ball, IMO it all comes from there, the defenders are given no options for the midfield.

The quicker downes is back the better

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Cole Skuse on 22:32 - Oct 23 with 4300 viewsjudespiveyg

Was arguably at fault for both goals tonight, especially the second.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Cole Skuse on 23:20 - Oct 23 with 4212 viewspowinswitch

Genuinely believe, and have for a long time, that when the name Skuse no longer appears on the team sheet, we will start to play football. He does a decent job disrupting the opposition, but offers very little when we have the ball. As you highlight, and I have said this before for a long time, he is particularly poor at taking the ball from the defence.

But, he was not the reason we lost today, and in general he has had a good season for us before the international break. I am no fan of his, but I don’t lay the blame for the last two performances at his feet.
Cole Skuse on 09:04 - Oct 24 with 4059 viewskpblues

Cole Skuse on 23:20 - Oct 23 by powinswitch

Genuinely believe, and have for a long time, that when the name Skuse no longer appears on the team sheet, we will start to play football. He does a decent job disrupting the opposition, but offers very little when we have the ball. As you highlight, and I have said this before for a long time, he is particularly poor at taking the ball from the defence.

But, he was not the reason we lost today, and in general he has had a good season for us before the international break. I am no fan of his, but I don’t lay the blame for the last two performances at his feet.

Agree with you Powinswitch.
Not a Skuse fan but he has found his League 1 level and has been ok for us.

He does not create goal chances though and that it is where my main concern is.
Our attempts at goal are low considering our position at the top.

His age is catching up with him so it's time to play him occasionally and not cement him in to the team sheet.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Cole Skuse on 09:06 - Oct 24 with 4052 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He has been one of our best players this season

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Cole Skuse on 09:18 - Oct 24 with 4017 viewsBiGDonnie

People won’t like this one.

He’s also arguably taking up Dozzells best position and seriously harming his development.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 09:31 - Oct 24 with 3984 viewshadleighboyblue

Cole Skuse on 09:18 - Oct 24 by BiGDonnie

He’s also arguably taking up Dozzells best position and seriously harming his development.

Dozzell has got to up his game , starting with U23 level . He should be standing out at that level to show he is ready to step up to 1st team level .

There's a footballer there somewhere , but he doesn't run a game in the way he should , he doesn't do enough to warrant a 1st team place
Cole Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 24 with 3977 viewsHerbivore

If we brought Dozzell in for Skuse right now we would lose the midfield battle every single game. Skuse has been one of our best players this season, he's not our issue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 09:35 - Oct 24 with 3969 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I'll bite.

Dozzell is just too lightweight, too much of a luxury player. Has had more than enough chances to grab his place in the team and basically every time he has failed and we've been worse for it. But he did play that great pass in that west ham friendly that one time.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 09:37 - Oct 24 with 3956 viewsLankHenners

Cole Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

If we brought Dozzell in for Skuse right now we would lose the midfield battle every single game. Skuse has been one of our best players this season, he's not our issue.

Weird isn’t it? Skuse was an outstanding performer and apparently it’s proof he’s ‘found his level’, he has a couple of iffy games and he’s holding us back. Almost like people aren’t looking at things very objectively.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Cole Skuse (n/t) on 09:47 - Oct 24 with 3908 viewsPositivelyPortman

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Cole Skuse (n/t) on 09:49 - Oct 24 with 3893 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse (n/t) on 09:47 - Oct 24 by PositivelyPortman

One of your more insightful posts.

Cole Skuse on 10:43 - Oct 24 with 3806 viewspowinswitch

Cole Skuse on 09:33 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

I agree totally a couple of points, in that Dozzell is lightweight and would be outmuscled in most games. Skuse has been consistently good this season, I agree that, but I maintain, and will until he goes, that until he goes, we will not be a team to take the game to the opposition. How many games have we done that this season? Skuse is very decent at disrupting the opposition but is a liability when we have the ball. And the other teams know it.
Cole Skuse on 12:23 - Oct 24 with 3721 viewsPilgrimblue

Cole Skuse on 10:43 - Oct 24 by powinswitch

I agree totally a couple of points, in that Dozzell is lightweight and would be outmuscled in most games. Skuse has been consistently good this season, I agree that, but I maintain, and will until he goes, that until he goes, we will not be a team to take the game to the opposition. How many games have we done that this season? Skuse is very decent at disrupting the opposition but is a liability when we have the ball. And the other teams know it.

I'm not a Skuse fan, mainly because he doesn't look up for best pass options and just knocks ball forward in hope or passes back.
To be fair on him he was playing out of position last night and easily got out musculed by taller stronger players. Their team was the tallest I've seen for long time which is typical for this league. But what did PL do? Play right into their hands by launching high balls which they dealt with.
Once we got Georgio on the game looked like we had a chance from out wide but too late.
Cole Skuse on 12:46 - Oct 24 with 3686 viewsWickets

Cole Skuse on 09:06 - Oct 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

He has been one of our best players this season

Sure has .
Cole Skuse on 15:12 - Oct 24 with 3559 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 10:43 - Oct 24 by powinswitch

I can't agree at all that he's a liability when we have the ball. His passing is more than decent.

Cole Skuse on 15:16 - Oct 24 with 3543 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 15:12 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

I can't agree at all that he's a liability when we have the ball. His passing is more than decent.

Incisive passes?
Cole Skuse on 15:19 - Oct 24 with 3530 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 15:16 - Oct 24 by blueislander

Incisive passes?

No, but then that's not his role. Makelele never played incisive passed and didn't score goals but then fans of his clubs didn't expect him to. If Skuse could break up play and read the game as he does and then play a worldy defence splitting pass from his own half he would have been playing in the Prem his whole career, not playing for us.

Cole Skuse on 15:29 - Oct 24 with 3499 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 15:19 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

No, but then that's not his role. Makelele never played incisive passed and didn't score goals but then fans of his clubs didn't expect him to. If Skuse could break up play and read the game as he does and then play a worldy defence splitting pass from his own half he would have been playing in the Prem his whole career, not playing for us.

I reckon you are rather underselling Makalele there. Skuse has undoubtedly been more proactive this season, but I don’t think that saying “it’s not his job” is enough for one of our two senior pros. He should be leading the team, and that includes creating goals and chances. If you are on the field surely you have to make positive contributions as well as negative ones.
Cole Skuse on 15:35 - Oct 24 with 3483 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 15:29 - Oct 24 by blueislander

I reckon you are rather underselling Makalele there. Skuse has undoubtedly been more proactive this season, but I don’t think that saying “it’s not his job” is enough for one of our two senior pros. He should be leading the team, and that includes creating goals and chances. If you are on the field surely you have to make positive contributions as well as negative ones.

He does make positive contributions, it's just that they are usually earlier in the move rather than the final pass given where he plays. His role is to break up play and keep us ticking over, same as many other midfielders. He does it well. I will restate, if he could do everything he does and play defence splitting passes from deep and score 5-10 a season then he wouldn't be playing for us and never would have done.

Cole Skuse on 15:42 - Oct 24 with 3465 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 15:35 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

He does make positive contributions, it's just that they are usually earlier in the move rather than the final pass given where he plays. His role is to break up play and keep us ticking over, same as many other midfielders. He does it well. I will restate, if he could do everything he does and play defence splitting passes from deep and score 5-10 a season then he wouldn't be playing for us and never would have done.

We will agree to differ. At this level, I think he should be making a greater creative contribution.
Cole Skuse on 15:46 - Oct 24 with 3455 viewsMetal_Hacker

I personally don't and can't single out one midfield player to warrant blaming totally if that's what we're trying to do here

For me the problem is quite simple :

1) System - Have one and stick to it and have plan B . Get the players tuned into both Plan A and B and have a Plan C for when it's needed

2-Personnel - Have a regular midfield solution to the system(s) we want to play with a ball carrier in his rightful position

3 - Forget this over used rotation system and it'll create a better 1 and 2

Not difficult
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 15:49]

Poll: If it were one or the other

Cole Skuse on 15:49 - Oct 24 with 3442 viewshaynes_toe1

So ipswich fans expect Cole Skuse to

- Break up play
- Come deep and collect the ball from defence to get us moving.
- Carry the ball himself and break into final thirds
- Make moves between the lines, link up play
- Regularly play defence splitting passes for assists
- Score 10 goals a season

Now, I dont know about you but I dont know a League One player who does all that. Heck, theres barely a Prem player who does.

Let's have a little bit of perspective. Skuse has been one of our best players and anyone we could sign at this level of football would be a massive downgrade on him. We are lucky to have him.
Cole Skuse on 15:58 - Oct 24 with 3424 viewsjudespiveyg

Cole Skuse on 15:49 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

So ipswich fans expect Cole Skuse to

- Break up play
- Come deep and collect the ball from defence to get us moving.
- Carry the ball himself and break into final thirds
- Make moves between the lines, link up play
- Regularly play defence splitting passes for assists
- Score 10 goals a season

Now, I dont know about you but I dont know a League One player who does all that. Heck, theres barely a Prem player who does.

Let's have a little bit of perspective. Skuse has been one of our best players and anyone we could sign at this level of football would be a massive downgrade on him. We are lucky to have him.

Yeah but if we were to play one defensive midfielder surely Downes is a better option at this point, as he's arguably our best player.
Downes does more of the things on your list than Skuse, as well as being over ten years younger.

Cole Skuse on 16:04 - Oct 24 with 3402 viewsHerbivore

Cole Skuse on 15:58 - Oct 24 by judespiveyg

Yeah but if we were to play one defensive midfielder surely Downes is a better option at this point, as he's arguably our best player.
Downes does more of the things on your list than Skuse, as well as being over ten years younger.

I don't consider Downes to be a defensive midfielder.

Cole Skuse on 16:07 - Oct 24 with 3396 viewsjudespiveyg

Cole Skuse on 16:04 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

I don't consider Downes to be a defensive midfielder.

Well Downes can tackle, pass and dribble better than Skuse so even if he isn't a defensive midfielder he can play there.
That's why he'll end up in the premier league.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 16:08]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024