Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would second place this season constitute a failure? 21:20 - Oct 15 with 5489 viewsAlexGreen

When we were relegated I looked to this season as being a success if we made it back up to the Championship regardless of how we managed it. Now, seeing just how poor the league is and how well we've adapted, I'm kind of thinking that anything other than winning it might be viewed as a failure.

Thoughts? Am I being too greedy?

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:23 - Oct 15 with 4629 viewsMullet

Nope. It's perfect. Promotion and helps the fact we were in the 3rd tier fade from view pretty quickly.

We either need to win this league by such a margin it rams home how badly Evans got it wrong after getting rid of Mick and fans never lose sight of that whilst he's here, or sneak back up quietly and get back to getting back to where we were and should be.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:25 - Oct 15 with 4626 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Any promotion is a success.

Winning it with a month or more left eases the nerves.

I would take another visit to Wembley and winning there but would rather not have that uncertainty.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:32 - Oct 15 with 4590 viewsJ2BLUE

If we finish second it would hardly be a failure.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:41 - Oct 15 with 4552 viewsITFCson

Anything else for me would be a fail as I have a monkey on them to win the league. For the club itself though promotion by any means will be deemed a success
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 22:08 - Oct 15 with 4492 viewssundaze

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:23 - Oct 15 by Mullet

Nope. It's perfect. Promotion and helps the fact we were in the 3rd tier fade from view pretty quickly.

We either need to win this league by such a margin it rams home how badly Evans got it wrong after getting rid of Mick and fans never lose sight of that whilst he's here, or sneak back up quietly and get back to getting back to where we were and should be.

"Get back to where we should be." Perhaps it's just me, but I don't look forward to another couple of decades of treading water in the Championship, trying to work out how early we will get to the magic 50 points.
Hopefully we will go up with a confidence to give us a chance to compete in the Championship.
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 22:12 - Oct 15 with 4480 viewswkj

Winning the league means nothing to me.
Getting promoted means everything.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 22:22 - Oct 15 with 4441 viewshave_a_word_with_him

No, success is promotion, and most importantly doing so whilst building towards further improvement, which doesn't necessarily mean keeping all the players that got us up but certainly on a good footing especially financially. Winning it would be fantastic for morale though.
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 08:22 - Oct 16 with 4228 viewsitfcjoe

No, any promotion is success this year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 08:25 - Oct 16 with 4211 viewsKeaneish

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:23 - Oct 15 by Mullet

Our problems didn't start when Mick left and Hurst signed. The erosion was well under way a long time before that.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 08:52 - Oct 16 with 4172 viewsWestover

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:41 - Oct 15 by ITFCson

Anything else for me would be a fail as I have a monkey on them to win the league. For the club itself though promotion by any means will be deemed a success

I hope you collect, I was going to have €100 at 7/1 to win it and €200 at 5/2 to get promoted but when it looked like Judge was about to go to QPR I chickened out, but as long as we get promoted that's the main thing. 👍
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 08:54 - Oct 16 with 4168 viewsmonty_radio

6 historic promotions with nary a runners-up spot among them (though one needed that Wembley win). So fear ye not!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 09:14 - Oct 16 with 4125 viewsBluefish

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 21:32 - Oct 15 by J2BLUE

If we finish second it would hardly be a failure.

Depends how you look at it. The goal is promotion so it won't be a failure but we are also the best team in the league and have an embarrassment of riches on the field. We have a big league already and if we get overtaken by someone then something has gone wrong.

It could be argued that outside the top 2 is the failure and 2nd is not success

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 09:16 - Oct 16 with 4118 viewsartsbossbeard

The only failure would be to not get out of this pub league on our first attempt.

I'll take a 98th minute own goal off someone's but to rescue a point on the last day, if so required.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2019 9:17]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 09:37 - Oct 16 with 4071 viewsKieran_Knows

IMO, anything other than top 2 will be a failure this season.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 10:49 - Oct 16 with 3986 viewsTerry_Nutkins

No. It would be succesful and objective delivered.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 10:52 - Oct 16 with 3990 viewsRadlett_blue

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 09:37 - Oct 16 by Kieran_Knows

IMO, anything other than top 2 will be a failure this season.

Especially after making such a good start. I will be interested to see how the team copes with a couple of poor results, which will inevitably happen at some stage.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:16 - Oct 16 with 3951 viewsReuser_is_God

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 10:52 - Oct 16 by Radlett_blue

Especially after making such a good start. I will be interested to see how the team copes with a couple of poor results, which will inevitably happen at some stage.

I'm more concerned with how some of our 'fans' would react to be honest.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:20 - Oct 16 with 3946 viewsReuser_is_God

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 09:14 - Oct 16 by Bluefish

Depends how you look at it. The goal is promotion so it won't be a failure but we are also the best team in the league and have an embarrassment of riches on the field. We have a big league already and if we get overtaken by someone then something has gone wrong.

It could be argued that outside the top 2 is the failure and 2nd is not success

I'm sorry but that is absolute horsesh1t

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:21 - Oct 16 with 3933 viewsBlueBadger

We're in the third division for the first time in over 50 years largely due to out own ineptitude and hubris. The season is a failure regardless of where we finish.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:22 - Oct 16 with 3931 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No - 6th would be a success if we win the playoffs and go up

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:30 - Oct 16 with 3918 viewsOxford_Blue

No. Failure would be not to be promoted.

The league one title is hardly an honour to celebrate.

It would be ideal to get up by winning it but ultimately getting up is what matters.
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:36 - Oct 16 with 3901 viewsbaxterbasics

Second would be disappointing only from our current perspective of sitting pretty at the top.

In terms of season objective, promotion by any means will do nicely.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:48 - Oct 16 with 3856 viewsbritbiker

Started the season not knowing how we would cope due to years of getting used to losing. Our current position has raised expectations.

I see this year like a computer reboot. So much was wrong at our club which probably would not have been fixed if we had managed to escape relegation only to struggle again this year. Its now all coming back together. Promotion is a success but top place would help with extra TV profile, a bit more finance and more confidence for next season.
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 12:52 - Oct 16 with 3772 viewspatrickswell

No.
Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 12:55 - Oct 16 with 3760 viewsmonty_radio

Would second place this season constitute a failure? on 11:30 - Oct 16 by Oxford_Blue

No. Failure would be not to be promoted.

The league one title is hardly an honour to celebrate.

It would be ideal to get up by winning it but ultimately getting up is what matters.

Don't think that older people who may still remember two Div 3(S) titles would be quite so dismissive. Given the future obstacles ahead re getting promoted from the Championship in these money-is-everything days, it would give younger-teenage fans who never seen us do anything (that's all of them) something worth celebrating.

Meanwhile, I hear Norwich, who as the whole world knows, won the League Cup back in the day when it was just starting up and attracted no big boys, are planning an open-bus parade around Rochdale, whom they beat in the final - 60th anniversary soon.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2019 14:34]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024