Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get ready for Brexit 17:43 - Oct 14 with 3249 viewshomer_123

Anyone else find it ironic the Gov are advertising like mad about getting ready for Brexit. Appears our Gov are quite happy to tell others to get ready but they themselves are most certainly not!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Get ready for Brexit on 17:46 - Oct 14 with 2951 viewsitfcjoe

It’s great unintended propaganda for Remain when people are reading how they have to do this and do that opposed to just doing nothing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Get ready for Brexit on 17:56 - Oct 14 with 2919 viewsDubtractor

Get ready for Brexit on 17:46 - Oct 14 by itfcjoe

It’s great unintended propaganda for Remain when people are reading how they have to do this and do that opposed to just doing nothing

I was gonna say something similar.

This supposedly great thing that we all have to prepare like crazy for otherwise there will be problems.

Fooking idiots.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Get ready for Brexit on 18:13 - Oct 14 with 2881 viewsfactual_blue

It's also an attempt to keep the hard-line loons onside by emphasising that we're leaving on 31 October.

What they're not saying, of course, is that the only way we leave on 31 October is with a deal that's even softer that theresa may's deal.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Get ready for Brexit on 18:51 - Oct 14 with 2830 viewsOldsmoker

After Brexit (if it ever happens) will the new boss be the same as the old boss?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Get ready for Brexit on 19:18 - Oct 14 with 2787 viewsPinewoodblue

We have plenty on here willing to predict what will. happen if we have a no deal Brexit,about how the £ will nosedive against $.

Can anyone tell me how much the £ will appreciate against $ if no deal or hard Brexit are avoided this month. Have payments in $s to make over the next four months.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Get ready for Brexit on 19:25 - Oct 14 with 2762 viewsfooters

Get ready for all that extra money and jobs heading our way :D

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Get ready for Brexit on 19:29 - Oct 14 with 2748 viewsHerbivore

The government adverts are, ironically, what was called Project Fear by the likes of Johnson during the referendum campaign.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Get ready for Brexit on 20:06 - Oct 14 with 2696 viewsclive_baker

Get ready for Brexit on 19:18 - Oct 14 by Pinewoodblue

We have plenty on here willing to predict what will. happen if we have a no deal Brexit,about how the £ will nosedive against $.

Can anyone tell me how much the £ will appreciate against $ if no deal or hard Brexit are avoided this month. Have payments in $s to make over the next four months.

This is purely a prediction (obviously) but in the event of a no deal Brexit I wouldn’t be surprised to see 1.1. If there’s a deal, something north of 1.4.

I still think the most likely scenario is a 2nd referendum in 2020.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Get ready for Brexit on 20:17 - Oct 14 with 2657 viewsm14_blue

Get ready for Brexit on 19:29 - Oct 14 by Herbivore

The government adverts are, ironically, what was called Project Fear by the likes of Johnson during the referendum campaign.

It’s mad isn’t it? No one’s even slightly pretending that Brexit will be a good thing any more, no one’s talking about all the great things that were promised, now it’s all ‘there might not be medicine and food shortages if we prepare properly...’

Literally the only reason cited for Brexit now is that it was ‘the will of the people’. Now, I actually think that’s quite a strong argument but I can’t for the life of me figure out why more Brexit voters aren’t furious with the those who lied to them during the leave campaign.
Get ready for Brexit on 20:39 - Oct 14 with 2612 viewsHerbivore

Get ready for Brexit on 20:17 - Oct 14 by m14_blue

It’s mad isn’t it? No one’s even slightly pretending that Brexit will be a good thing any more, no one’s talking about all the great things that were promised, now it’s all ‘there might not be medicine and food shortages if we prepare properly...’

Literally the only reason cited for Brexit now is that it was ‘the will of the people’. Now, I actually think that’s quite a strong argument but I can’t for the life of me figure out why more Brexit voters aren’t furious with the those who lied to them during the leave campaign.

The will of the people argument is also not that strong now, given that we're 3 years down the line and polling points to a majority wanting to remain now and has done for about 18 months. Now we know what Brexit might look like there's no good argument against a second referendum really. Those that prize the will of the people ought to want to confirm that this still is what the people want.

Get ready for Brexit on 20:41 - Oct 14 with 2609 viewsBlueBadger

Get ready for Brexit on 20:39 - Oct 14 by Herbivore

The will of the people argument is also not that strong now, given that we're 3 years down the line and polling points to a majority wanting to remain now and has done for about 18 months. Now we know what Brexit might look like there's no good argument against a second referendum really. Those that prize the will of the people ought to want to confirm that this still is what the people want.

Given how great* it's going to be, surely Leave could walk it through without any kind of help from foreign powers.

*You can tell how good it's going to be by the amount of faith the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg(moved business to Ireland), Nigel Farage(obtained EU passports for his children), Boris's backers in the City(betting against the pound in the event of a no-deal) and James Dyson(moved his manufacturing base overseas) have put in their country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Get ready for Brexit on 20:49 - Oct 14 with 2581 viewsEpiphone

Nice little advertising contract for one of the old boy network no doubt.Same as the useless ferry company junkets.
Get ready for Brexit on 21:23 - Oct 14 with 2531 viewsSwansea_Blue

Humongous waste of money. Get ready for something undefined that’s unlikely to happen when they say it will (if at all).

This whole mess has shown up the incompetence of our recent governments. It’s all arse about face. If we have to do this stupid self-harm act, at least define what the landing zone looks like in partnership with the EU, then notify intent to leave giving people and organisations a couple of years to prepare properly. How the eff can they expect people to prepare in 10 days (assuming they even agree on what Brexit looks like by the EU summit, which looks unlike)? Morons everywhere.

Stupid idea, stupid execution.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Get ready for Brexit on 21:33 - Oct 14 with 2503 viewsSwansea_Blue

Get ready for Brexit on 19:18 - Oct 14 by Pinewoodblue

Look at the market response to news. When rumours circulated at the end of last week that there was “a possible path” to a deal, pound strengthened ~2% against the dollar just in response to that. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-50011444

I’ve no idea of the likely scale of responses, but you’d think if the whole thing was called off it’d be similar in scale to the 2016 shock. Confirmation of no deal would be significantly more pronounced than the response last week. Trouble is knowing when the news is going to break. The EU summit is probably the next major milestone when something will be confirmed one way or the other..

Get ready for Brexit on 21:36 - Oct 14 with 2496 viewsfooters

Get ready for Brexit on 21:33 - Oct 14 by Swansea_Blue

Look at the market response to news. When rumours circulated at the end of last week that there was “a possible path” to a deal, pound strengthened ~2% against the dollar just in response to that. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-50011444

I’ve no idea of the likely scale of responses, but you’d think if the whole thing was called off it’d be similar in scale to the 2016 shock. Confirmation of no deal would be significantly more pronounced than the response last week. Trouble is knowing when the news is going to break. The EU summit is probably the next major milestone when something will be confirmed one way or the other..

Although there would likely still be a fairly steep drop, it's important to remember that most markets have had the possibility of a no-deal priced in months ago, which has caused the further depression in the pound. It'd be a severe drop anyway but markets tend to err on the side of caution!

Get ready for Brexit on 21:40 - Oct 14 with 2486 viewsSwansea_Blue

Get ready for Brexit on 21:36 - Oct 14 by footers

Although there would likely still be a fairly steep drop, it's important to remember that most markets have had the possibility of a no-deal priced in months ago, which has caused the further depression in the pound. It'd be a severe drop anyway but markets tend to err on the side of caution!

I’m assuming the room for most movement is for £ gains in response to good, anti-Brexit news. I think that’s what you’re saying, but I know absolutely nothing about markets and all that guff!

Get ready for Brexit on 21:43 - Oct 14 with 2483 viewsfooters

Get ready for Brexit on 21:40 - Oct 14 by Swansea_Blue

I’m assuming the room for most movement is for £ gains in response to good, anti-Brexit news. I think that’s what you’re saying, but I know absolutely nothing about markets and all that guff!

Absolutely. My colleague wrote a good analysis a while back... I'll see if I can find it. Any price action would mainly be to the good, as you say, on any deal, rather than the t'other way round. The currency traders have already had most of their fill... for the last four years!

But Moose is happy that his student debt repayment is far more affordable these days. Or so he tells me.

The programme on What the UK Buys and Sells.... on 21:53 - Oct 14 with 2447 viewsunstableblue

... which tonight focussed on the car industry was very sobering; the whole UK automotive industry seems to rely on completely friction-less trade, and beyond the factory workforce themselves that supply chain in itself supports a huge amount of jobs, for example Southampton docks.

Surely Brexit is going to have a detrimental effect on this?

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

The programme on What the UK Buys and Sells.... on 21:59 - Oct 14 with 2434 viewsWeWereZombies

The programme on What the UK Buys and Sells.... on 21:53 - Oct 14 by unstableblue

... which tonight focussed on the car industry was very sobering; the whole UK automotive industry seems to rely on completely friction-less trade, and beyond the factory workforce themselves that supply chain in itself supports a huge amount of jobs, for example Southampton docks.

Surely Brexit is going to have a detrimental effect on this?

But a Leaver was telling me a few months back that he had seen an edition of Top Gear where Clarkson had a whole line of British cars ready to go as soon as Brexit happens...

(I did ask him if they were completely British down to the last nut and bolt or just assembled in Britain - he didn't seem to have that info to hand.)

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The programme on What the UK Buys and Sells.... on 23:07 - Oct 14 with 2356 viewsBlueBadger

The programme on What the UK Buys and Sells.... on 21:59 - Oct 14 by WeWereZombies

But a Leaver was telling me a few months back that he had seen an edition of Top Gear where Clarkson had a whole line of British cars ready to go as soon as Brexit happens...

(I did ask him if they were completely British down to the last nut and bolt or just assembled in Britain - he didn't seem to have that info to hand.)

I sure hope you didn't mention that Clarkson advocated(and still does) Remaining.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Get ready for Brexit on 15:58 - Oct 15 with 2120 viewsflimflam

Get ready for Brexit on 20:39 - Oct 14 by Herbivore

Yeah those trusty polls. Worked out well last time.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Get ready for Brexit on 16:05 - Oct 15 with 2105 viewsSwansea_Blue

Get ready for Brexit on 15:58 - Oct 15 by flimflam

The polls are a world away from where they were before the referendum; then they were roughly split 2/3rds in favour of remain, but with regular swings. We've seen consistent support for remain since November 2017 (one of, if not the longest periods of consistent support for one option this decade).

Of course they should be viewed with some caution though.

Get ready for Brexit on 16:14 - Oct 15 with 2080 viewsHerbivore

Get ready for Brexit on 15:58 - Oct 15 by flimflam

They are the best indicator we have of current public opinion. When aggregated they are showing a clear majority in favour of remain and that majority is stable.

Get ready for Brexit on 21:23 - Oct 15 with 2001 viewsgazzer1999

Get ready for Brexit on 20:41 - Oct 14 by BlueBadger

Given how great* it's going to be, surely Leave could walk it through without any kind of help from foreign powers.

*You can tell how good it's going to be by the amount of faith the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg(moved business to Ireland), Nigel Farage(obtained EU passports for his children), Boris's backers in the City(betting against the pound in the event of a no-deal) and James Dyson(moved his manufacturing base overseas) have put in their country.

My God you really are in the know aren't you?
Is Farage not married to a european lady, my guess is its only natural to have dual nationality for the children. Is Dyson moving his manufacturing to europe?
Is JRM moving himself to Ireland so not pay UK taxes?
Get ready for Brexit on 22:05 - Oct 15 with 1961 viewsHerbivore

Get ready for Brexit on 21:23 - Oct 15 by gazzer1999

My God you really are in the know aren't you?
Is Farage not married to a european lady, my guess is its only natural to have dual nationality for the children. Is Dyson moving his manufacturing to europe?
Is JRM moving himself to Ireland so not pay UK taxes?

You'd excuse someone dropping a log on your dining table during Sunday lunch if they were a Brexit supporting politician.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024