Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mad thought 10:42 - Oct 13 with 3396 viewsMJallday

Had a mad thought- if the government was to give every person in the uk a tree to plant - thats 65million trees. Figure about 10 quid a tree, plus 40% setup and logistical costs. So that’s 1bn - You could plant 65 million trees, which would offset some of the uks carbon footprint which would actually help the environment. So for 1bn your doing something which is pretty tangible , quickly

We could call it . Vote leafs?

Would it actually help though ?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Mad thought on 10:45 - Oct 13 with 3372 viewsBluefish

Wouldn't help much though, not sure the trees have a great impact for a long time. There is also the issue that the trees get planted in the areas that need them the least. My last employer planted 50 million trees and all of the employees went out and planted them in conjunction with people like the Woodlands trust

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mad thought on 10:49 - Oct 13 with 3346 viewsMJallday

Mad thought on 10:45 - Oct 13 by Bluefish

Wouldn't help much though, not sure the trees have a great impact for a long time. There is also the issue that the trees get planted in the areas that need them the least. My last employer planted 50 million trees and all of the employees went out and planted them in conjunction with people like the Woodlands trust

Well this is the question - would 65 million trees make a debt?

Sounds like your last employer planted 50m and it didn’t?

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Mad thought on 10:52 - Oct 13 with 3335 viewsJ2BLUE

Nice idea but not viable. Where do people who live in tower blocks plant their tree? How to kids plant their tree? How do people with an entirely paved garden (like me) plant their tree?

It's a nice idea but it would probably be much better if people went meat and animal products free two days a week.

If you like the tree idea it can be done individually for £25 https://www.goodgifts.org/beech-tree.html

They have a range of other tree related things on there. The schools one would be brilliant if backed by government with funding.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mad thought on 10:55 - Oct 13 with 3323 viewsBluefish

Mad thought on 10:49 - Oct 13 by MJallday

I should clarify a few things there. It was across 6 countries and has 50 years to complete so quite a different impact

Mad thought on 11:00 - Oct 13 with 3296 viewsclive_baker

Mad thought on 10:49 - Oct 13 by MJallday

3.2m hectares of the U.K. is covered by trees, which is 13% of the total land mass. Research says this needs to increase to 17% (+1m hectares) before we’re net zero emissions. To achieve that by 2050 we would need to plant the number of trees you’re talking about every year between now and then.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mad thought on 11:03 - Oct 13 with 3280 viewsclive_baker

Mad thought on 10:52 - Oct 13 by J2BLUE

Nice idea but not viable. Where do people who live in tower blocks plant their tree? How to kids plant their tree? How do people with an entirely paved garden (like me) plant their tree?

It's a nice idea but it would probably be much better if people went meat and animal products free two days a week.

If you like the tree idea it can be done individually for £25 https://www.goodgifts.org/beech-tree.html

They have a range of other tree related things on there. The schools one would be brilliant if backed by government with funding.

We can all make fairly easy changes that cumulatively make a big difference.

Turn the heating down a touch, cut back on meat consumption, reduce air travel, walk rather than drive where possible etc.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 11:04]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mad thought on 11:16 - Oct 13 with 3242 viewsCoastalblue

I remember in my very early days at school we had 'plant a tree '73' when we all got small trees to plant. I think this may have been off the back of Dutch Elm disease.

I also recall my old man having involvment in something maybe 20 years ago which I think was a tree planting initiative but the Rotary Club. He's not here to ask now sadly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Mad thought on 11:21 - Oct 13 with 3228 viewsBluefish

Mad thought on 11:16 - Oct 13 by Coastalblue

I remember in my very early days at school we had 'plant a tree '73' when we all got small trees to plant. I think this may have been off the back of Dutch Elm disease.

I also recall my old man having involvment in something maybe 20 years ago which I think was a tree planting initiative but the Rotary Club. He's not here to ask now sadly.

We need that again following ash dieback

Login to get fewer ads

Mad thought on 11:23 - Oct 13 with 3221 viewswkj

They'd probably give me the tree and then not give me planning permission.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mad thought on 11:27 - Oct 13 with 3207 viewsWD19

Mad thought on 11:03 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

We can all make fairly easy changes that cumulatively make a big difference.

Turn the heating down a touch, cut back on meat consumption, reduce air travel, walk rather than drive where possible etc.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 11:04]

Dig up ridiculous paved gardens and unnecessary block paving....
Mad thought on 11:55 - Oct 13 with 3175 viewswkj

Mad thought on 11:27 - Oct 13 by WD19

Dig up ridiculous paved gardens and unnecessary block paving....

It is such a shame to see great gardening space búggered up with bricks, Also I am sad that we cottoned on to the american love for decking. Nothing wrong with a garden set on the grass at all.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mad thought on 11:58 - Oct 13 with 3170 viewsUB9Blue

Hillingdon Council are giving away 5000 saplings to residents in the borough this month although I am not sure how much it will offset the carbon footprint from Heathrow
Mad thought on 12:11 - Oct 13 with 3146 viewsColin_Viljoen

Mad thought on 11:58 - Oct 13 by UB9Blue

Hillingdon Council are giving away 5000 saplings to residents in the borough this month although I am not sure how much it will offset the carbon footprint from Heathrow

Only if they planted them on the runway!
Mad thought on 12:18 - Oct 13 with 3130 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bare toot trees would be more like 30-50 pennies.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Mad thought on 13:48 - Oct 13 with 3049 viewsMJallday

Mad thought on 11:00 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

3.2m hectares of the U.K. is covered by trees, which is 13% of the total land mass. Research says this needs to increase to 17% (+1m hectares) before we’re net zero emissions. To achieve that by 2050 we would need to plant the number of trees you’re talking about every year between now and then.

thats thge figure i wsa after, but if you took thast premis, 1bn a year to do it, doesnt seem thast much in the scheme of things?

in answer to the flat question above - simple answer, if you dont have space , you could pass "your tree" on to someone who can plant it

Mad thought on 13:55 - Oct 13 with 3042 viewsjeera

Woodland Trust launched an appeal last month (I suppose they would/wood):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/49797058

But there are few conflicting views on the BBC site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=plant+a+tree

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mad thought on 13:56 - Oct 13 with 3039 viewsjeera

Mad thought on 13:48 - Oct 13 by MJallday

thats thge figure i wsa after, but if you took thast premis, 1bn a year to do it, doesnt seem thast much in the scheme of things?

in answer to the flat question above - simple answer, if you dont have space , you could pass "your tree" on to someone who can plant it

Window boxes.

Big window boxes.

Or really little trees.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mad thought on 14:11 - Oct 13 with 3016 viewsCoastalblue

Mad thought on 13:56 - Oct 13 by jeera

Window boxes.

Big window boxes.

Or really little trees.

If only we could find small horses to roam among them.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Mad thought on 14:21 - Oct 13 with 3005 viewsTangledupin_Blue

If you give 65 million people a tree each to plant you don't finish up with 65 million more trees. You'd actually, probably, reduce the total number of trees. I don't see how this would be beneficial to the environment.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 14:31]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Mad thought on 14:35 - Oct 13 with 2965 viewsronnyd

Mad thought on 11:55 - Oct 13 by wkj

It is such a shame to see great gardening space búggered up with bricks, Also I am sad that we cottoned on to the american love for decking. Nothing wrong with a garden set on the grass at all.

What,s Bojo and his girlfriend doing in your back wilderness, er i mean garden.
Mad thought on 15:12 - Oct 13 with 2918 viewsMJallday

Mad thought on 14:21 - Oct 13 by Tangledupin_Blue

If you give 65 million people a tree each to plant you don't finish up with 65 million more trees. You'd actually, probably, reduce the total number of trees. I don't see how this would be beneficial to the environment.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 14:31]

I’m probably being thick but you are going to have to explain that one to me

You plant 65 million brand new trees and somehow you end up with less

Either you are about to explain something horticulturally significant that I wasn’t aware of, or you are Diane Abbott

Mad thought on 15:28 - Oct 13 with 2892 viewsClapham_Junction

Trees absorb up to 60kg of CO2 a year depending on their age and type (for young trees it's only around 5kg a year). The UK produces around 5 tonnes of CO2 per person, not taking into account aviation, shipping and stuff we buy from abroad

65 million trees will help a little, but is nowhere near enough.
Mad thought on 15:37 - Oct 13 with 2870 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Mad thought on 15:12 - Oct 13 by MJallday

I’m probably being thick but you are going to have to explain that one to me

You plant 65 million brand new trees and somehow you end up with less

Either you are about to explain something horticulturally significant that I wasn’t aware of, or you are Diane Abbott

I am the government and I have a tree. I give the tree to you and you plant it. Between us we started with one tree and we finished up with one tree (probably in a different place)

Multiply that by 65 million and some of the trees would die or otherwise be lost in the process so you are likely to end up with fewer than the 65m trees you started with.

All the best
Diane x

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Mad thought on 15:41 - Oct 13 with 2853 viewsSwansea_Blue

You don’t necessarily have to plant them; just give over land to reclaim itself. A long burner regarding CO2 for sure, but worth doing just for the future generations, habitat diversity, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mad thought on 16:25 - Oct 13 with 2802 viewsBLUEBEAT

One tree per person is a preposterous solution.

The AVERAGE UK lifestyle of one person needs 101 trees to offset it’s carbon output FOR ONE YEAR.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024