Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Polluters 12:23 - Oct 9 with 1307 viewsStokieBlue

The Top 20 firms behind 1/3 of all carbon emissions:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/09/revealed-20-firms-third-carb

An interesting read.

"The top 20 companies on the list have contributed to 35% of all energy-related carbon dioxide and methane worldwide, totalling 480bn tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (GtCO2e) since 1965."

"Twelve of the top 20 companies are state-owned and together their extractions are responsible for 20% of total emissions in the same period."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Polluters on 12:29 - Oct 9 with 1281 viewslowhouseblue

although of course the emissions don't actually occur while the products are owned or controlled by these companies. it's the people who use the products, you, me and everyone else here, who actually create the emissions.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The Polluters on 13:11 - Oct 9 with 1197 viewschicoazul

It's people who are behind carbon emissions. People who make choices to emit carbon or use products that emit carbon etc etc.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Polluters on 13:12 - Oct 9 with 1192 viewsSteve_M

The Polluters on 12:29 - Oct 9 by lowhouseblue

although of course the emissions don't actually occur while the products are owned or controlled by these companies. it's the people who use the products, you, me and everyone else here, who actually create the emissions.

It isn't correct to say that, extraction and processing of hydrocarbon does involve significant energy use and CO2 emissions. Some methods - e.g. Tar sands and shale oil/gas - far more so than others.

I do agree with your wider point though, without consumer demand then there would not be the same volume of fuels produced. The Guardian here frames this very much as a supply-side issue whereas is much of of a demand driven one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Polluters on 13:14 - Oct 9 with 1181 viewschicoazul

The Polluters on 13:12 - Oct 9 by Steve_M

It isn't correct to say that, extraction and processing of hydrocarbon does involve significant energy use and CO2 emissions. Some methods - e.g. Tar sands and shale oil/gas - far more so than others.

I do agree with your wider point though, without consumer demand then there would not be the same volume of fuels produced. The Guardian here frames this very much as a supply-side issue whereas is much of of a demand driven one.

Like so many things, people forget their complicity.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Polluters on 13:17 - Oct 9 with 1172 viewslowhouseblue

The Polluters on 13:12 - Oct 9 by Steve_M

exactly. without consumer demand there would be no supply. without consumption carbon emitted when the fuels are produced and used wouldn't occur. in the past consumers had fewer options short of not consuming - now for lots of things there are non fossil alternatives. if people stop buying oil and oil products it is absolutely 100% guaranteed that the oil companies will stop producing it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The Polluters on 13:20 - Oct 9 with 1160 viewsclive_baker

Exactly. Not to say companies shouldn't be scrutinised to see if they can operate more sustainably, but these are largely the companies with the biggest market share. If they halved their market share they would reduce their emission output, and those stealing their share would increase commensurately. Ultimately the end consumer needs to think about how they can reduce their own demand for such products.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Polluters on 13:30 - Oct 9 with 1138 viewsStokieBlue

That's certainly fair and correct with regards to individual responsibility. The study however is around the suppliers of the carbon not the utilisers. It states that in the methodology.

You are of course right they aren't the end users of all their products though (although it does take significant emissions to produce the fuels). I do think it does perhaps highlight the state-owned companies which could hopefully do better.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Polluters on 14:15 - Oct 9 with 1100 viewsCoachRob

The Polluters on 13:30 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

That's certainly fair and correct with regards to individual responsibility. The study however is around the suppliers of the carbon not the utilisers. It states that in the methodology.

You are of course right they aren't the end users of all their products though (although it does take significant emissions to produce the fuels). I do think it does perhaps highlight the state-owned companies which could hopefully do better.

SB

Any ideas how long a transition to clean energy would take if left to individual responsibility (market)?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610457/at-this-rate-its-going-to-take-nearly-
Login to get fewer ads

The Polluters on 14:27 - Oct 9 with 1091 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Polluters on 13:11 - Oct 9 by chicoazul

It's people who are behind carbon emissions. People who make choices to emit carbon or use products that emit carbon etc etc.

Yep, that's part of the cycle of course. These companies are at the very least fullfilling a demand.

I didn't like the piece. It's interesting to see some of these data, but the piece doesn't deal with them particulalrly well. It's sensationalising a problem that needs a much deeper consideration than simply blaming the producer (notwithstanding the fact that they are the major polluters). No mention in the text of the significant reductions in emissions many of the western country companies have recorded over time, for example. Where'sthe recognition behind that, discussion around what's lead to it and consideration of how lessons learnt can be applied to those companies with growing emissions? Etc...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Polluters on 16:22 - Oct 9 with 1030 viewslongtimefan

The Polluters on 14:27 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, that's part of the cycle of course. These companies are at the very least fullfilling a demand.

I didn't like the piece. It's interesting to see some of these data, but the piece doesn't deal with them particulalrly well. It's sensationalising a problem that needs a much deeper consideration than simply blaming the producer (notwithstanding the fact that they are the major polluters). No mention in the text of the significant reductions in emissions many of the western country companies have recorded over time, for example. Where'sthe recognition behind that, discussion around what's lead to it and consideration of how lessons learnt can be applied to those companies with growing emissions? Etc...

Seems like a pretty poor piece to me. By that means of thinking you might as well blame the coal miners for extracting coal. Oh heck! Does that mean Maggie was right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024