Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not looking good in Hong Kong 11:29 - Oct 1 with 2564 viewsStokieBlue

Banning legal protests today because it's the 70th anniversary of the instigation of communist rule was never going to end well. If they had allowed the peaceful legal protest it's possible things could have been better today although it's hard to say anymore.

Seems the police have started using live rounds and a protester has been shot in the chest which has just lead to more violence all round. Live rounds is a definite escalation.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 11:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:33 - Oct 1 with 1604 viewsBloomBlue

The Chinese will send in the army soon they will sort it out.
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:34 - Oct 1 with 1600 viewshomer_123

You can easily see this turning into Beijing taking it over completely. Which I am aware they effectively have.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:35 - Oct 1 with 1589 viewshomer_123

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:33 - Oct 1 by BloomBlue

There is no precedent to suggest they'd do this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:35 - Oct 1 with 1588 viewsRozz

Like ours did in Ireland?
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:36 - Oct 1 with 1591 viewsStokieBlue

You sound like you want them to send in the army against pro-democracy protesters?

I can only assume you don't remember Tienanmen Square and the protests in other cities at the time - something that is still blocked from all sites within China.

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 15:38 - Oct 1 with 1486 viewsSpruceMoose

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 11:36 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

You sound like you want them to send in the army against pro-democracy protesters?

I can only assume you don't remember Tienanmen Square and the protests in other cities at the time - something that is still blocked from all sites within China.

SB

I can only assume he does remember it, and he liked it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 18:45 - Oct 1 with 1439 viewsBluesquid

That's not good to hear at all, let's hope that things calm down over there.

Perhaps the Hong Kong police can take a leaf out of the French police forces book by confiscating protective equipment, including helmets, goggles and gas-masks from not only protestors but also from journalists as well, just a thought.
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 18:52 - Oct 1 with 1427 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 18:45 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

That's not good to hear at all, let's hope that things calm down over there.

Perhaps the Hong Kong police can take a leaf out of the French police forces book by confiscating protective equipment, including helmets, goggles and gas-masks from not only protestors but also from journalists as well, just a thought.

No idea why yourself and CIL keep diverting away from the Hong Kong police and towards the French police at every opportunity.

It's a bit weird.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:04 - Oct 1 with 1418 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 18:52 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

No idea why yourself and CIL keep diverting away from the Hong Kong police and towards the French police at every opportunity.

It's a bit weird.

SB

Eh? It's a shame that you read my post like that.

Not diverting away at all just making a legitimate suggestion regarding a tactic that is employed by the French police towards the Yellow vest protestors and journalists that might just have a positive effect in Hong Kong.
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:08 - Oct 1 with 1412 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:04 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

Eh? It's a shame that you read my post like that.

Not diverting away at all just making a legitimate suggestion regarding a tactic that is employed by the French police towards the Yellow vest protestors and journalists that might just have a positive effect in Hong Kong.

Mention the HK protests and first response from either of you is to mention the French protests. They are separate events.

Why would it have a positive effect? It would mean journalists wouldn't be able to report the events.

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:15 - Oct 1 with 1407 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:08 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

Mention the HK protests and first response from either of you is to mention the French protests. They are separate events.

Why would it have a positive effect? It would mean journalists wouldn't be able to report the events.

SB

You think these lot would be 'protesting' without their protective gear?

[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 19:21]
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:43 - Oct 1 with 1379 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:15 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

You think these lot would be 'protesting' without their protective gear?

[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 19:21]

What does that have to do with journalists?

Why do you only seem to condemn the protester and never the police? They shot someone with a live round yet you don't even mention it.

Protesters shouldn't be acting like that but you never seem to criticise the police - you didn't last month either.

Can I ask why?

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:57 - Oct 1 with 1372 viewsSpruceMoose

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:43 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

What does that have to do with journalists?

Why do you only seem to condemn the protester and never the police? They shot someone with a live round yet you don't even mention it.

Protesters shouldn't be acting like that but you never seem to criticise the police - you didn't last month either.

Can I ask why?

SB

We all know why. We have a small number of posters on here who get all pumped up and swoony at the sight of authoritarians doing their thing. They're like mini Trumps.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:09 - Oct 1 with 1341 viewscaught-in-limbo

SB

As with all things political there's always more than one version of a story, but nearly always just one that we in the west want to believe.

I think it'd be worth your while reading the leaked confidential diplomatic telegrams from then-US Ambassador to China, James E. Lilley, to Washington. They shed new light on what really happened that June 4.

https://search.wikileaks.org/?query=Tiananmen&exact_phrase=&any_of=&exclude_word

Similarly, it would be worth you looking into how our own secret services helped 800 dissidents to flee in Operation Yellow Bird.

Everything I grew up knowing about the Tian An Men massacre is now hotly contested. Firstly, there was no massacre at all in Tian An Men square itself - but it sounds good.

Secondly, even the most emblematic image of "tank man" tells an incomplete story. The tank man event happened on 5th June as tanks were leaving Tian An Men. The man was allowed to climb on top of the front tank and he even talked to those inside. This despite the fact that 2 days earlier students had climbed onto tanks and thrown incendiary devices inside sand burned tanks crew alive. It's not difficult to find such gruesome pictures online. The whole column of tanks actually showed remarkable restraint.

Here's the whole tank man clip:

The reason why I "always" (actually just once) mentioned the actions of the French Police in the current and ongoing Gilets Jaunes protests in response to your HK protests threads, is to highlight the one sided reporting we get (and you link to) of anything which happens in "bad" countries.

There's very little point in reading only unbalanced news from one side of the story unless you want to just confirm your prejudices.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:12]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:11 - Oct 1 with 1336 viewswkj

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:09 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

As with all things political there's always more than one version of a story, but nearly always just one that we in the west want to believe.

I think it'd be worth your while reading the leaked confidential diplomatic telegrams from then-US Ambassador to China, James E. Lilley, to Washington. They shed new light on what really happened that June 4.

https://search.wikileaks.org/?query=Tiananmen&exact_phrase=&any_of=&exclude_word

Similarly, it would be worth you looking into how our own secret services helped 800 dissidents to flee in Operation Yellow Bird.

Everything I grew up knowing about the Tian An Men massacre is now hotly contested. Firstly, there was no massacre at all in Tian An Men square itself - but it sounds good.

Secondly, even the most emblematic image of "tank man" tells an incomplete story. The tank man event happened on 5th June as tanks were leaving Tian An Men. The man was allowed to climb on top of the front tank and he even talked to those inside. This despite the fact that 2 days earlier students had climbed onto tanks and thrown incendiary devices inside sand burned tanks crew alive. It's not difficult to find such gruesome pictures online. The whole column of tanks actually showed remarkable restraint.

The reason why I "always" (actually just once) mentioned the actions of the French Police in the current and ongoing Gilets Jaunes protests in response to your HK protests threads, is to highlight the one sided reporting we get (and you link to) of anything which happens in "bad" countries.

There's very little point in reading only unbalanced news from one side of the story unless you want to just confirm your prejudices.

Not like you to have an issue with Stokie's posts, hard day?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:18 - Oct 1 with 1324 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:11 - Oct 1 by wkj

Not like you to have an issue with Stokie's posts, hard day?

Hard day? Not at all, quite the opposite in fact.

As a well-travelled citizen of the world, I have a problem with anyone who peddles animosity towards other countries. Here in Spain, I spend more time defending Britain against people's one sided views than i do agreeing with them.

I'll nearly always disagree with the likes of Stokie, I only bother voicing my views when I've got the energy for it... in other words, never on a bad day.

EDIT: I also thought it was only polite to join the thread after Stokie mentioned (misrepresented) me before I'd even chimed in. Perhaps he's having a hard day.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:21]

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:24 - Oct 1 with 1309 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:18 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

Hard day? Not at all, quite the opposite in fact.

As a well-travelled citizen of the world, I have a problem with anyone who peddles animosity towards other countries. Here in Spain, I spend more time defending Britain against people's one sided views than i do agreeing with them.

I'll nearly always disagree with the likes of Stokie, I only bother voicing my views when I've got the energy for it... in other words, never on a bad day.

EDIT: I also thought it was only polite to join the thread after Stokie mentioned (misrepresented) me before I'd even chimed in. Perhaps he's having a hard day.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:21]

I didn't misrepresent you.

Go find the thread. Last time I posted on Hong Kong you literally diverted straight to the French government.

I'll accept your apology now.

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:26 - Oct 1 with 1305 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:09 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

Lovely.

What about the protests in 89 in over 100 other cities? All made up as well? Everyone was pleased with communist authoritarian rule? It's all made up?

As for not criticising other countries, you spend your entire online life saying how you're the only one who understands what is going on and criticising various countries and governments actions. Just not usually totalitarian ones.

I'd also like to know why you've decide to mount a defence of the events 30 years ago rather than address what is going on at the moment?

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:28]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:36 - Oct 1 with 1287 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:24 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

I didn't misrepresent you.

Go find the thread. Last time I posted on Hong Kong you literally diverted straight to the French government.

I'll accept your apology now.

SB

"No idea why yourself and CIL keep diverting away from the Hong Kong police and towards the French police at every opportunity."

That's a misrepresentation. Firstly, I think I've only mentioned French police in one thread about HK, and secondly, it's not to divert from anything. It's actually done (as I've said in this thread) to highlight your sharing of one sided news.

Apology accepted.

CIL

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:40 - Oct 1 with 1277 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:36 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

"No idea why yourself and CIL keep diverting away from the Hong Kong police and towards the French police at every opportunity."

That's a misrepresentation. Firstly, I think I've only mentioned French police in one thread about HK, and secondly, it's not to divert from anything. It's actually done (as I've said in this thread) to highlight your sharing of one sided news.

Apology accepted.

CIL

So you acknowledge that in the one thread I posted you ignored the HK police and instead diverted to France. Glad we cleared that up.

"It's actually done (as I've said in this thread) to highlight your sharing of one sided news."

This is just weird. How can news about two different events and places be one-sided? They aren't related so your point is illogical and frankly nonsense.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:42]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:40 - Oct 1 with 1275 viewsNthsuffolkblue

SB

Unfortunately Tiananmen would suggest (in my opinion) that he is correct.

The Chinese don't back down and they don't care much for international outrage and condemnation.

I dislike the implication he seems to want it but I suspect he is correct it will happen.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:42 - Oct 1 with 1269 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:26 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

Lovely.

What about the protests in 89 in over 100 other cities? All made up as well? Everyone was pleased with communist authoritarian rule? It's all made up?

As for not criticising other countries, you spend your entire online life saying how you're the only one who understands what is going on and criticising various countries and governments actions. Just not usually totalitarian ones.

I'd also like to know why you've decide to mount a defence of the events 30 years ago rather than address what is going on at the moment?

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:28]

You mentioned Tian An Men, not me.

I could post plenty of articles by westerners living in HK showing enormous sympathy with the Chinese government and critical of the actions of the protestors. The problem is, who wants to hear a whole lot of unsubstantiated witness reports from expats living in HK, when our most trusted national broadcaster can just serve up the unadulterated truth backed up by our glorious press.

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:45 - Oct 1 with 1259 viewsjaykay

i was led to believe by others on this board, that you never bring someones name into a current thread, who hasn't posted in said thread

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:46 - Oct 1 with 1253 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:40 - Oct 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Unfortunately Tiananmen would suggest (in my opinion) that he is correct.

The Chinese don't back down and they don't care much for international outrage and condemnation.

I dislike the implication he seems to want it but I suspect he is correct it will happen.

Actually, the Chinese care very much about international outrage and condemnation. Far more I would suggest than the self-proclaimed world's indispensable nation.

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:47 - Oct 1 with 1251 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:42 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

You mentioned Tian An Men, not me.

I could post plenty of articles by westerners living in HK showing enormous sympathy with the Chinese government and critical of the actions of the protestors. The problem is, who wants to hear a whole lot of unsubstantiated witness reports from expats living in HK, when our most trusted national broadcaster can just serve up the unadulterated truth backed up by our glorious press.

"I could post plenty of articles by westerners living in HK showing enormous sympathy with the Chinese government and critical of the actions of the protestors."

I am sure you could. I am sure anyone else could posts the opposite from expats as well but why focus on expats? Surely you should focus on the people born and raised in HK who will be living there long after the expats leave?

I would also highlight that myself and others have criticised the violence of the protester. You are yet to criticise the violence of the police - they shot someone today with live rounds - you've not mentioned it at all - instead you prefer to post videos attempting to excuse the Chinese state (by the way your link doesn't work) on an event that happened 30 years ago.

I'd say that's rather shameful.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:51]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024