Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question about footballers/other points 00:02 - Sep 29 with 900 viewsGarv

Short corners.

Someone more knowledgeable than I, please explain.

Second half - I think we were 4-1 up at this stage - we have a corner that Garbutt floats in, Norwood does great to wriggle free and get a strong header on goal that the keeper has to beat away. So we get another corner, what do we do? Jackson finds himself free from his marker so decides there's some kind of 'opportunity' to race towards the taker and demand the ball, which Garbutt duly gives him. From there the set piece/attack goes to turd, and the chance to get the ball in the box to grab our striker, who is desperate for a goal, another chance. Okay, we're comfortable, but if we were playing for time then don't send your CBs forward in the first place. Without doubt the short corner is the most frustrating thing to see when as a fan you want your team to score.

Rant over. Other than that, we were just too good for them second half. I don't really see the Jackson goal as lucky because Garbutt takes such a good kick that is a bit too hot for the keeper.

I like that Judge grew into things, first half an hour he wasn't in the game much but just before half time he sent a peach of a cross into the box which was a great example of his quality, and second half he played a good part despite not scoring a good chance himself, a nice ball through to Jackson for Nolan's goal in particular. I do worry that people are expecting too much of him and become frustrated when he's not the main man. If we accept he is just part of a good team and provides the odd bit of quality, it'll be better for everyone, including him. A good few players ran to congratulate him after Nolan's goal.

Other positives, KVY obviously, what a player. James Wilson, not a massively cultured footballer (I don't care too much) but what a good defender on today's showing. Between these two for MOTM in my opinion.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 0:16]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Question about footballers/other points on 08:07 - Sep 29 with 750 viewsBluefish

I played the game all my life and now managed an u16s team and have done since u9s. Short corners are rubbish, they have always been pointless.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Question about footballers/other points on 08:18 - Sep 29 with 724 viewsOsborneOneNil

Obviously, the short corner is a way to ‘change things up’, and make the defence think a bit more. So they’re all set for a ball to be played in, but suddenly someone goes short. That means a defender HAS to go out with said attacker, more than likely 2 defenders so to cover corner taker too (in the case they play a 1-2). Defensive unit is now disrupted, ball comes over, more space for the attacking side.

But clearly that sometimes goes wrong. And it looks absolute pants, and a waste.
Question about footballers/other points on 09:34 - Sep 29 with 659 viewsWickets

Question about footballers/other points on 08:18 - Sep 29 by OsborneOneNil

Obviously, the short corner is a way to ‘change things up’, and make the defence think a bit more. So they’re all set for a ball to be played in, but suddenly someone goes short. That means a defender HAS to go out with said attacker, more than likely 2 defenders so to cover corner taker too (in the case they play a 1-2). Defensive unit is now disrupted, ball comes over, more space for the attacking side.

But clearly that sometimes goes wrong. And it looks absolute pants, and a waste.

Yes just as you say ,football is always easier to defend if you know whats coming ,although i'm not a big fan of the short corner it does have its uses if not over used and just the ball being played into the box from a different angle can be usefull when it comes off . Remember that when you are leading most teams are quite happy to eat a bit of time up and short corners can do that .
Question about footballers/other points on 09:41 - Sep 29 with 651 viewsBlueBadger

Only worth it if you're going to do the whole 'out to the man on the edge of the box then cross in' thing, otherwise they're pointless.

And rubbish.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Question about footballers/other points on 09:56 - Sep 29 with 621 viewsWickets

I do agree with the OP post and it was a frustrating moment but there are times when short corners can work. This was just not ,in hindsight, the best time to do it as the game had been won and we just wanted to be greedy and score again . I enjoyed the second part of your post .
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 9:57]
Question about footballers/other points on 12:24 - Sep 29 with 548 viewsGarv

Question about footballers/other points on 08:18 - Sep 29 by OsborneOneNil

Always goes wrong. The ball never comes in. Maybe in the premier league you can get away with it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024