Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formation quandary 17:01 - Sep 28 with 1168 viewsStokieBlue

So once again we tried 3-5-2 and it just didn't work. It looks great on paper (I thought it was the right team and formation for today) but it just doesn't seem to work.

They either need to practice it a lot or find something else. When we changed at half-time the result was never in doubt.

We can't really go 1 up top as for most that seems to mean dropping Jackson and he's been our best forward this year - he was good again today.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Formation quandary on 17:05 - Sep 28 with 1132 viewsHullblue

What did we change it to second half?

My only worry looking at that team was Chambers lack of pace on the right of a three, but it sounds like it didn’t work anywhere on the pitch?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Formation quandary on 17:43 - Sep 28 with 1043 viewsKeaneish

Formation quandary on 17:05 - Sep 28 by Hullblue

What did we change it to second half?

My only worry looking at that team was Chambers lack of pace on the right of a three, but it sounds like it didn’t work anywhere on the pitch?

We didn’t change anything, we played 3-5-2 and scored 4 goals which could have been 6. Seemed to work just fine today to me!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Formation quandary on 17:45 - Sep 28 with 1022 viewsHerbivore

Formation quandary on 17:43 - Sep 28 by Keaneish

We didn’t change anything, we played 3-5-2 and scored 4 goals which could have been 6. Seemed to work just fine today to me!

Skuse moved into midfield second half. 3-5-2 didn't work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Formation quandary on 17:45 - Sep 28 with 1027 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Did you manage to miss the entire second half when we had four at the back?

Skuse went to midfield.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Formation quandary on 17:46 - Sep 28 with 1024 viewsWD19

Formations are for wimps. Let’s just keep chucking them out there.
Formation quandary on 17:46 - Sep 28 with 1024 viewsStokieBlue

Eh?

Not sure what second half you were watching but in no way was that a 3-5-2 in the second half. Skuse moved up into midfield.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 17:48]

Formation quandary on 17:47 - Sep 28 with 1017 viewspointofblue

We had far more width in the second half; first half we played long far too often considering the height they had on the pitch. Utilising Vincent-Young and Garbutt was key, plus Judge drifted out to be more supportive on the wing too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Formation quandary on 17:47 - Sep 28 with 1007 viewsHerbivore

Formation quandary on 17:46 - Sep 28 by WD19

Formations are for wimps. Let’s just keep chucking them out there.

We tried that first half and it didn't work. There's something to be said for systems.

Login to get fewer ads

Formation quandary on 17:54 - Sep 28 with 983 viewsKeaneish

Formation quandary on 17:46 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

Eh?

Not sure what second half you were watching but in no way was that a 3-5-2 in the second half. Skuse moved up into midfield.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 17:48]

Skuse drifted into midfield the whole of the first half in the diamond as he did at MK Dons. The shape was the same all game. Skuse just played higher up the pitch.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 18:14]

Formation quandary on 17:55 - Sep 28 with 973 viewsJDB23

Formation quandary on 17:54 - Sep 28 by Keaneish

Skuse drifted into midfield the whole of the first half in the diamond as he did at MK Dons. The shape was the same all game. Skuse just played higher up the pitch.

Skuse was glued to the middle CB position first half lol.
Formation quandary on 18:00 - Sep 28 with 949 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Think the lack of width (plus not being able to get Garbutt and KVY up often enough to supply it) becomes a problem.

Having said that, I'm not entirely convinced by us as a 442 with Judge and Edwards on the flanks either.

I know it's League One and we can get away with it. But perhaps not being under more pressure means we're not really learning much about our best side.

I'd say the back 4 or back 5 with Wilson picks itself. Norwood and Jackson up front seems a good mix. But then the midfield becomes a bit of a mystery. We've got about 8 individuals who can all start there but I haven't got a clue so far which players work best together.

Pronouns: He/Him

Formation quandary on 18:00 - Sep 28 with 947 viewsDubtractor

We went with a midfield diamond and looked pretty good with it.

3-5-2 first half was terrible.

One of the biggest issues first half is that Chambers ended up in the RB position when we got on the ball, which meant that the usual threat from KVY was removed.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 18:04]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Formation quandary on 18:08 - Sep 28 with 891 viewsDennyx4

Think the issue first half was Skuse not being in midfield.

We went to the diamond just before we scored in the first half and playing Skuse in front of the back four allowed Nolan and Downes to push further forward.

Think the 352 can work, but we need Skuse in midfield not as sweeper.
Formation quandary on 18:09 - Sep 28 with 888 viewsStokieBlue

It really wasn't.

I don't think you were watching the same match as everyone else.

SB

Formation quandary on 18:15 - Sep 28 with 854 viewsHerbivore

That's not what happened, mate.

Formation quandary on 18:21 - Sep 28 with 822 viewsBloomBlue

Formation quandary on 17:47 - Sep 28 by pointofblue

We had far more width in the second half; first half we played long far too often considering the height they had on the pitch. Utilising Vincent-Young and Garbutt was key, plus Judge drifted out to be more supportive on the wing too.

Skuse moved into the midfield in the second after and that meant we won the midfield in the second half. In the 1st they had 3 in central midfield against our 2 and neither could get the ball and we kept trying to place it long from the back out to the wings
Formation quandary on 18:51 - Sep 28 with 756 viewsKeaneish

Formation quandary on 18:09 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

It really wasn't.

I don't think you were watching the same match as everyone else.

SB

Probably not. I was pretty hungover to be fair so you’re a better judge than me today for sure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024