Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just got back from Gillingham... 23:29 - Sep 21 with 2856 viewsglasso

I thought the game was pretty dire, TBH. But great that we're churning out 3 points while playing badly.

That was my first away game but I thought it was a bit flat, crowd-wise. Was it a one-off? Or is that what it's like at away games these days? I thought it was going to be a bit rowdy (fun rowdy, not fighty rowdy)...
just got back from Gillingham... on 23:32 - Sep 21 with 2817 viewswkj

Usually away games are fairly jovial and noisy. I am interested in your assessment as dire though, surely we played about as well as you'd expect against a team playing direct football? I thought the buildup play leading to the goal was inspired.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 23:32]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

just got back from Gillingham... on 23:38 - Sep 21 with 2785 viewsglasso

just got back from Gillingham... on 23:32 - Sep 21 by wkj

Usually away games are fairly jovial and noisy. I am interested in your assessment as dire though, surely we played about as well as you'd expect against a team playing direct football? I thought the buildup play leading to the goal was inspired.

Maybe dire is harsh. We were away from home and we did a job, which is fair enough. I'm not going to complain about us getting results like that.

I just thought Gillingham were a pretty poor side, and we should be demolishing teams like them. As it was, they had a fair few chances - in the Championship, I'm pretty sure we'd have conceded two or three - but they weren't very clinical.

We didn't create much, to be honest.

But I'm not trying to be a downer on it all. We won, had a nice day out in the sunshine and we're top of the league. Happy days
just got back from Gillingham... on 23:41 - Sep 21 with 2792 viewsSitfcB

A factor today is a lot of people would’ve been on the beers early and for a period of time, and then the gap between pub>ground + sun (bearing down on away end) would’ve sobered (given the hangover effect) to a lot of people thus ‘dumbing’ them down.

Another factor, no roof. Always an issue.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

just got back from Gillingham... on 05:32 - Sep 22 with 2487 viewscrunchie1978

Little bit of a disjointed line up....think with 3 games close together PH has tried to utilize his squad.
The performance didnt give the fans much to get excited about.
We keep the ball on the deck we look good...we lump it in the air then your right....we look dire.
just got back from Gillingham... on 10:15 - Sep 22 with 2013 viewsArnieM

OP: I wouldn’t say Town played badly . In fact from s defending point of view quote the reverse. We were strung and resolute through the match .

But you need to understand that this league is a tough, physical one and you have to battle for 90mins to win the right to play your game. We are currently winning these battles in games. The likes of Sunderland, Posh and Pompey, ( supposed favourites ), are not!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

just got back from Gillingham... on 10:58 - Sep 22 with 1949 viewsBloomBlue

just got back from Gillingham... on 23:38 - Sep 21 by glasso

Maybe dire is harsh. We were away from home and we did a job, which is fair enough. I'm not going to complain about us getting results like that.

I just thought Gillingham were a pretty poor side, and we should be demolishing teams like them. As it was, they had a fair few chances - in the Championship, I'm pretty sure we'd have conceded two or three - but they weren't very clinical.

We didn't create much, to be honest.

But I'm not trying to be a downer on it all. We won, had a nice day out in the sunshine and we're top of the league. Happy days

Why do people keep thinking all we have to do is turn up and demolish teams? Football has never been that simple, you only have to look up the road last week, how come ManC didn't demolish Norwich, but then a week later score 8.

Teams aren't simply going to let us win, all teams will see Ipswich as the big game as PL calls it their cup final. They will run and run against Ipswich while against other teams they won't put that effort in.
just got back from Gillingham... on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 1901 viewsreusersfreekicks

Don't recognise this crowd flat thing. Made a reasonable amount of noise. Performance had very good bits of passing through the middle and awful bits of lumping it at Jackson or Judge.
just got back from Gillingham... on 12:41 - Sep 22 with 1826 viewsMeadowlark

just got back from Gillingham... on 05:32 - Sep 22 by crunchie1978

Little bit of a disjointed line up....think with 3 games close together PH has tried to utilize his squad.
The performance didnt give the fans much to get excited about.
We keep the ball on the deck we look good...we lump it in the air then your right....we look dire.

or even your left....
Login to get fewer ads

just got back from Gillingham... on 12:59 - Sep 22 with 1778 viewsArnieM

just got back from Gillingham... on 11:34 - Sep 22 by reusersfreekicks

Don't recognise this crowd flat thing. Made a reasonable amount of noise. Performance had very good bits of passing through the middle and awful bits of lumping it at Jackson or Judge.

I think the problem is whenever you are stood in open stand , any noise generated is lost and so fans standing further away actually cant hear songs starting up and get that feedback , so don’t join in.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

just got back from Gillingham... on 13:35 - Sep 22 with 1738 viewsActionMan

just got back from Gillingham... on 23:32 - Sep 21 by wkj

I'd say all the games have been standard third division matches and the only one where I'd say the football wasn't truly dire by top tier standards thus far was Doncaster. People are expecting far too much of the quality at this level.
just got back from Gillingham... on 14:14 - Sep 22 with 1702 viewsunstableblue

It seems Town had 4 or 5 great passages of play, and there were some good individual performances from Chambo and KVY. But that longer ball to Jackson and inability to dominate for large periods is still raising concerns amongst the fans, despite yet another 3 points.

As for fan noise.... they do need a series of attacks to get really going. Second half at MK Dons when we did attack in front of the fans it was electric; but only really happened twice. Noise at end was electric though.

Gills sounded like they were putting in some full blooded tacked which may have unsettled.

Getting Huws permanently into the team may improve us.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

just got back from Gillingham... on 15:56 - Sep 22 with 1625 viewswkj

just got back from Gillingham... on 13:35 - Sep 22 by ActionMan

I'd say all the games have been standard third division matches and the only one where I'd say the football wasn't truly dire by top tier standards thus far was Doncaster. People are expecting far too much of the quality at this level.

Again I wouldn't think dire is appropriate. Though I agree that some seem to have an over inflated sense of our ability. If we are supposed to be able to 'shıt em' every week with a team largely made up of players from last season, then why are we even in this league to begin with. Football isn't wonderful at this level but we're competent, clearly, I'm not sure what more anyone could really ask for with our current squad.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

just got back from Gillingham... on 16:24 - Sep 22 with 1584 viewsKeaneish

just got back from Gillingham... on 23:41 - Sep 21 by SitfcB

A factor today is a lot of people would’ve been on the beers early and for a period of time, and then the gap between pub>ground + sun (bearing down on away end) would’ve sobered (given the hangover effect) to a lot of people thus ‘dumbing’ them down.

Another factor, no roof. Always an issue.

Agreed. I was flagging after 60 mins with that sun on my bonce. The atmosphere always evaporates quite quickly in open air terracing too. The goal aside, the game was a bit ordinary and more a formality to complete. There will be better away days. It was relatively quiet Tuesday night too but generating an atmosphere in an empty stadium is even tougher.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

just got back from Gillingham... on 19:14 - Sep 22 with 1460 viewsglasso

just got back from Gillingham... on 10:58 - Sep 22 by BloomBlue

Why do people keep thinking all we have to do is turn up and demolish teams? Football has never been that simple, you only have to look up the road last week, how come ManC didn't demolish Norwich, but then a week later score 8.

Teams aren't simply going to let us win, all teams will see Ipswich as the big game as PL calls it their cup final. They will run and run against Ipswich while against other teams they won't put that effort in.

I don't know how you've read my post and taken the idea that I think we should just be able to turn up and demolish sides?

I'm saying they were a bit rubbish and we should be demolishing sides who aren't very good. But as we were pretty dire, it was disappointing that we only scraped by with a 1-0 win.
just got back from Gillingham... on 21:39 - Sep 22 with 1337 viewsLeoMuff

just got back from Gillingham... on 19:14 - Sep 22 by glasso

I don't know how you've read my post and taken the idea that I think we should just be able to turn up and demolish sides?

I'm saying they were a bit rubbish and we should be demolishing sides who aren't very good. But as we were pretty dire, it was disappointing that we only scraped by with a 1-0 win.

Probably as you wrote Gillingham are a pretty poor side and we should be demolishing them ? At a guess...

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024