Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? 17:35 - Sep 21 with 3868 viewsgroovyASH

Obviously brilliant to be top, undefeated, best defence, best goal difference. We are playing the most competent and consistent in league 1.

However, we have never really dominated a game or side (aside Bolton). The common consensus is we are just cruising in a low gear and we will end up dominating with beautiful performances and 4-0 wins.

However, are we actually playing to the best of our ability? Its fine for league 1 you do not need to play amazing football to get out of this league. The gap between league 1 and the championship is wider than we probably give credit to given the comparison we can give after 9 games vs 16 seasons.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:40 - Sep 21 with 3463 viewspointofblue

At the moment this feels like an elongated pre-season to me; we're trying different players and different formations - we're not quite sure what we're going to do next in terms of approach or line up. On the face of it it's getting or keeping everyone match fit whilst keeping the opposition on their toes on what we'll do next but, on the flip side, it does mean we'll take longer to settle in matches and may look uncertain at times.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:43 - Sep 21 with 3431 viewsPendejo

3rd gear? Have we got out of 2nd yet.?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:43 - Sep 21 with 3431 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The gap is probably quite big and I don't think we are ready to be playing in the Championship right now.

However, I think we are significantly better than we were at the end of last season and the development of the team over this season will hopefully put us in a far better position to be able to compete in the Championship.

If most of the young players can push on, Norwood can learn to score when 1-on-1 and we can learn the habit of winning games we will be a very different proposition in the league above than we were last season (especially adding in KVY, Garbutt and some wiser loans).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:45 - Sep 21 with 3391 viewsclive_baker

A combination of both. We’ve seen some great individual performances - Holy, KVY, Chambers, Wilson, Woolfy, Skuse, Downes as the standouts for me, and it would be harsh to say they’ve not been in top gear. I do think from a team selection and shape perspective we haven’t quite nailed down what our best approach is though. Seems we’re still finding our feet in that regard but this far it’s been enough to get the better of sides. I think that’ll become clear as time goes by. Ultimately I don’t care, we just need to improve week on week and keep winning football matches.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:45 - Sep 21 with 3391 viewswkj

Something that gets overlooks is how we're looking competent in all thirds. Holy and KVY have been the key to our season so far. Although we looks shake in the 2nd half for two games running, we're looking efficient at the back, something we weren't last year after losing so many slender games or drawing otherwise valuable winners

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:46 - Sep 21 with 3374 viewsBloomBlue

We're only 9 games into the season after how last season went I'm sure confidence for most of the players was shot and that takes time to return, this isn't a computer game they are humans.

Once it fully returns you'll see a different team, at the moment when we're winning 1-0 you can see some of the players want to keep it simple afraid to make a mistake and lose the lead like last season. But they are getting there and soon the confidence will be players who dont care if the opposition score as they know they will score more.

The fans are the same at 1-0 they don't have the confidence the team will hold on expecting the opposition to equalise and then win, just like last season.
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:49 - Sep 21 with 3346 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Until our front three are Hammond, May & Clarkson, then we remain in 3rd gear.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:50 - Sep 21 with 3322 viewsJ2BLUE

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:40 - Sep 21 by pointofblue

At the moment this feels like an elongated pre-season to me; we're trying different players and different formations - we're not quite sure what we're going to do next in terms of approach or line up. On the face of it it's getting or keeping everyone match fit whilst keeping the opposition on their toes on what we'll do next but, on the flip side, it does mean we'll take longer to settle in matches and may look uncertain at times.

I this idea that Lambert doesn't know his best team is nonsense. Football is a squad game and for the first time in a long, long time we have a squad to use.

If we had a cup final next week i'm sure he could name his starting 11 in a heartbeat.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:55 - Sep 21 with 3261 viewspointofblue

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:50 - Sep 21 by J2BLUE

I this idea that Lambert doesn't know his best team is nonsense. Football is a squad game and for the first time in a long, long time we have a squad to use.

If we had a cup final next week i'm sure he could name his starting 11 in a heartbeat.

Sorry, when I said "we're not quite sure what we're going to do next in terms of approach or line up" I'm not referring to Lambert or the coaching team but the fans. I don't think anyone would have guessed today's line up or formation for example.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:57 - Sep 21 with 3242 viewsMetal_Hacker

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:46 - Sep 21 by BloomBlue

We're only 9 games into the season after how last season went I'm sure confidence for most of the players was shot and that takes time to return, this isn't a computer game they are humans.

Once it fully returns you'll see a different team, at the moment when we're winning 1-0 you can see some of the players want to keep it simple afraid to make a mistake and lose the lead like last season. But they are getting there and soon the confidence will be players who dont care if the opposition score as they know they will score more.

The fans are the same at 1-0 they don't have the confidence the team will hold on expecting the opposition to equalise and then win, just like last season.

I’m not buying into the fact it’s “only 9 games in “. That’s pushing nearly a quarter of the season , plus cup games and not including pre season.

If we haven’t found our best formation yet , I don’t think we will.

Holding worst case scenario is that we stumble our way through this campaign to obtain promotion but I honestly think we are riding our luck a little

Happy we’re top , happy with the dismissal of usual season long defensive mistakes but ....somethings not quite right for me

Poll: If it were one or the other

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:02 - Sep 21 with 3187 viewswkj

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:57 - Sep 21 by Metal_Hacker

I’m not buying into the fact it’s “only 9 games in “. That’s pushing nearly a quarter of the season , plus cup games and not including pre season.

Holding worst case scenario is that we stumble our way through this campaign to obtain promotion but I honestly think we are riding our luck a little

Happy we’re top , happy with the dismissal of usual season long defensive mistakes but ....somethings not quite right for me

In all honestly I was expecting us to be challenging for the playoffs at best a few days before the season kicked off, so I can't join you on the something not quite right front. We really aren't huge fish in this little pond with the players we have, Lambert is trying to keep a relatively big squad engaged for the season, that is my take on it.

Like I said earlier to someone who thinks we performed poorly, I don't think we're performing poorly at all, I think were not living up to some unrealistic expectations on the squad we have. As Sunderland have found out, while this league may be seen as easy, its not a cake walk to escape from it.

Crybaby

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:06 - Sep 21 with 3153 viewsgroovyASH

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:45 - Sep 21 by clive_baker

A combination of both. We’ve seen some great individual performances - Holy, KVY, Chambers, Wilson, Woolfy, Skuse, Downes as the standouts for me, and it would be harsh to say they’ve not been in top gear. I do think from a team selection and shape perspective we haven’t quite nailed down what our best approach is though. Seems we’re still finding our feet in that regard but this far it’s been enough to get the better of sides. I think that’ll become clear as time goes by. Ultimately I don’t care, we just need to improve week on week and keep winning football matches.

And quite rightly those players you mention are all playing well... but if they are on present form "our best players", this is probably indicative of the gap between the divisions?

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:08 - Sep 21 with 3142 viewsBloomBlue

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:57 - Sep 21 by Metal_Hacker

But confidence takes time, it's not a tap you turn on or off and why do you need a 'best formation'? That's old fashioned football the best teams now constantly change formation.
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:08 - Sep 21 with 3132 viewsgroovyASH

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:50 - Sep 21 by J2BLUE

I do have to agree I think Lambert knows exactly what he is doing with formation and personnel and hats off, so far it is working and this is the first area I can genuinely sai Lambert is impressing me.

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:11 - Sep 21 with 3101 viewsgroovyASH

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:08 - Sep 21 by BloomBlue

But confidence takes time, it's not a tap you turn on or off and why do you need a 'best formation'? That's old fashioned football the best teams now constantly change formation.

Yes we are in this with a lot of players who were considered a part of one of the worst ever ITFC teams. I didnt expect to be where we are at this stage, I do question however if this is down to a u-turn or a bigger gap in quality we gave credit for

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:14 - Sep 21 with 3086 viewsMetal_Hacker

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:02 - Sep 21 by wkj

In all honestly I was expecting us to be challenging for the playoffs at best a few days before the season kicked off, so I can't join you on the something not quite right front. We really aren't huge fish in this little pond with the players we have, Lambert is trying to keep a relatively big squad engaged for the season, that is my take on it.

Like I said earlier to someone who thinks we performed poorly, I don't think we're performing poorly at all, I think were not living up to some unrealistic expectations on the squad we have. As Sunderland have found out, while this league may be seen as easy, its not a cake walk to escape from it.

I think you’re quite right in your observation.

Perhaps for me it’s a requirement that when we do win , we win convincingly at times maybe

Good of points made though

Poll: If it were one or the other

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:16 - Sep 21 with 3077 viewswkj

When Sunderland went down, I think their team on paper last year was stronger than ours was this year. Lambert is making full use of the squad depth, and trying to keep the squad depth engaged. I think it is his management which has so far made us look stronger than Sunderland did last year. I think over the long haul deep rotation and small victories is the key to success for us than a firm starting XI that will ultimately tire and may not perform so well when the deputies have to step up.

Crybaby

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:25 - Sep 21 with 3038 viewsbefxblue

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 17:55 - Sep 21 by pointofblue

Sorry, when I said "we're not quite sure what we're going to do next in terms of approach or line up" I'm not referring to Lambert or the coaching team but the fans. I don't think anyone would have guessed today's line up or formation for example.

Probably good in the long run that the opposition managers can never be too sure that they know we will be playing a specific system. The squad we have is good enough to train and maintain a formation as told by Lambo before each game, and it seems to be working thus far. Probably the only downside, as noted by many is that we lack a cohesion in attack.
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:28 - Sep 21 with 3017 viewswkj

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:25 - Sep 21 by befxblue

Probably good in the long run that the opposition managers can never be too sure that they know we will be playing a specific system. The squad we have is good enough to train and maintain a formation as told by Lambo before each game, and it seems to be working thus far. Probably the only downside, as noted by many is that we lack a cohesion in attack.

That is another good point, other teams were starting to exploit our left wing when playing 442, and that is where we look the most vulnerable. I think the tactical switching is mitigating a lot of risk that comes from good opposition scouting

Crybaby

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:44 - Sep 21 with 2898 viewsWestcountryblue

We’re in 2nd it 3rd gear. Judge, Nolan, Dozzell, Keane, Nsiala are either finding fitness or form, plus with have Lankester and Bishop to return who are serious players at this level.

Downes, Skuse, Chambers, Woolfie, Wilson and Young aside, I don’t actually think we have a lot of players in top form.
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:56 - Sep 21 with 2852 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:44 - Sep 21 by Westcountryblue

We’re in 2nd it 3rd gear. Judge, Nolan, Dozzell, Keane, Nsiala are either finding fitness or form, plus with have Lankester and Bishop to return who are serious players at this level.

Downes, Skuse, Chambers, Woolfie, Wilson and Young aside, I don’t actually think we have a lot of players in top form.

I don't think we're in 2nd or 3rd gear. We're putting a lot.of graft into this game. Lambert has been very clever with managing the squad back to health. It's been a calculated risk and never going to be at full tilt when changing things around to ensure minutes in legs of players coming back etc.

The beauty is we have still been getting results and 2nd half of the season this should really pay off. We'll be much fresher in theory after 35 games or so.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 19:05 - Sep 21 with 2794 viewsketton_itfc

If you look at the players in the squad and how they're playing I'd say we are still in 2nd gear. The spine of side is playing well(Skuse,Downes,Wolfie, Chambo,Holy) with others like Kvy, Norwood and Jackson doing their bit.

I think there is much more to come from midfield(Judge, Nolan, Huws, Bishop) and up front (Keane, Sears) and when a settled formation and pattern of play established we will get stronger and stronger.

I'm not ready to go overboard yet as of course this is Ipswich and we never do things the easy way but so far so good. Lots to be positive about and to look forward to.

But I think we may just be on the start of a very pleasant journey....
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 19:12 - Sep 21 with 2752 viewsBloomBlue

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 18:11 - Sep 21 by groovyASH

Yes we are in this with a lot of players who were considered a part of one of the worst ever ITFC teams. I didnt expect to be where we are at this stage, I do question however if this is down to a u-turn or a bigger gap in quality we gave credit for

I think there is a big gap of quality between L1 and the Championship but if you can get promoted with loads of confidence we've seen how that confidence can bridge that gap and some teams get promoted very quickly to the Prem.

For me the key is not selling the youngsters (ignoring any crazy offers) players like Downes, Woolf will be amazing players for us in the Championship next season after the experience and confidence they will get from this season in L1.
Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 19:18 - Sep 21 with 2703 viewswkj

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 19:12 - Sep 21 by BloomBlue

I think there is a big gap of quality between L1 and the Championship but if you can get promoted with loads of confidence we've seen how that confidence can bridge that gap and some teams get promoted very quickly to the Prem.

For me the key is not selling the youngsters (ignoring any crazy offers) players like Downes, Woolf will be amazing players for us in the Championship next season after the experience and confidence they will get from this season in L1.

Should we go up, I have the feeling that the improvement in Downes, Wolfenden, Lankester and the addition of Holy and KVY will give us a better team than we went down with. Chambers and Skuse may well only decide to go one more season after this, so you re right iun not selling what we have. I am unable to guess how well Norwood and Jackson would do in the Championship, and question marks around Edwards and Rowe obviously exist. I have confident that we have a team that in large parts will cope with Championship football, most with more developmental time to further improve.

Crybaby

Are we in 3rd gear... or actually top gear? on 19:50 - Sep 21 with 2597 viewsKeaneish

We dominated Wimbledon, first half of MK Dons and first half of Sunderland. Its been done in long spells of other games but not consistently. Feels like we're playing in second gear going forward though. Still a lot more to come i reckon. A few piece of the puzzle still left to solve. Left wing back being the new challenge.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024