Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... 17:08 - Sep 19 with 1151 viewsunstableblue

....but this Lambert season is starting to feel like a movement.

Firstly you have to commend this energy that the club is putting into community projects, and getting schools and youth into supporting Town; how dead a club we were under Keane, Jewell and McCarthy. With Keane like a disease.

But the fan base does seem to be connecting with Lambert and the team. The atmosphere at the end at MK Dons - despite a poor second half from Town - was electric.

We are some way from the energy that built from the 2nd or 3rd season of Burley's project, when Portman Road and the system of play really did rock, and there were just no doubts we were on track and improving continually.

For me this squad feels more exciting.. albeit we are only in League One! but KVY, Downes, El Mizouni, Huws, Nolan, Norwood, Dobra, 'The Wolf' - I'm almost more invested in them than the likes of Uhlenbeek, Wilnis, Clapham, McGreal (I know this is heresy!)

What remains is the system of play and formation, and the true domination of teams for 90mins. I hope it will come. I was growing concerned, but the first 30mins on Tuesday (by the way it wasn't the whole first half) we did start to purr. If we can build on that, get Huws firing, get the wing backs forward, get Norwood scoring. I think it will take off.

Bizarrely we are second, have a buzz around the project, and yet have not yet really convinced on the pitch.

Lets keep it going at the Gills.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 17:16 - Sep 19 with 1119 viewsStokieBlue

As I've said before, nobody wanted it but it's been a bit of a blessing in disguise (with the caveat we are supported financially by ME). Things were getting very stale.

The crowds are back including plenty of youngsters who are enjoying seeing the town winning games. We need them for the future and they are really engaged.

The team is doing well without playing well, if we do click then this season could be very entertaining.

We are also having a chance to really get the academy players into the team for a long run and that is going to be hugely beneficial going forwards.

On a personal note it's actually got me more interested in football again. I still rarely watch MOTD but I have found myself regularly listening to 3 or 4 football league based podcasts and it's very interesting as it's a much neglected subject in the media.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 17:28 - Sep 19 with 1075 viewsclive_baker

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 17:16 - Sep 19 by StokieBlue

As I've said before, nobody wanted it but it's been a bit of a blessing in disguise (with the caveat we are supported financially by ME). Things were getting very stale.

The crowds are back including plenty of youngsters who are enjoying seeing the town winning games. We need them for the future and they are really engaged.

The team is doing well without playing well, if we do click then this season could be very entertaining.

We are also having a chance to really get the academy players into the team for a long run and that is going to be hugely beneficial going forwards.

On a personal note it's actually got me more interested in football again. I still rarely watch MOTD but I have found myself regularly listening to 3 or 4 football league based podcasts and it's very interesting as it's a much neglected subject in the media.

SB

I agree. IF we go up (and it remains an if) then we should be better placed to start a Championship season than we have in a while. We've stopped relying on loanees and journeyman and given our own youngsters a platform and pathway to the 1st team. Chambers and Skuse aren't getting any younger, but when you look at the crop of Woolfy, KVY, Bishop, Downes, Nydam, Lankester, Morris, El Mizouni, Dobra, Crowe perhaps, Dozzell there are some players of real promise. Not all will kick on, but lets hope a handful do. Then you've got Nsiala, Jackson, Holy, Huws, Nolan, Keane etc. who will be 26 - 28. 3 or 4 choice additions and we could have a really competitive squad.

It's amazing what a good season and bit of momentum can do to reignite interest from supporters and buzz around the town generally. The way I see it is we are where we are, so let's enjoy it and put the building blocks in place to give us the best chance of going up this season and the best chance of having a squad we can keep together thereafter.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 17:37 - Sep 19 with 1056 viewsunstableblue

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 17:16 - Sep 19 by StokieBlue

SB

Yes I think the key point is we have youngsters beginning to get real game time and being baked into an Ipswich project and style of play (albeit the style is still a work in progress).

If The Wolf, Downes and KVY play all season as I expect they will, they’ll potential go into the the Championship as very strong valuable players.

Add Huws and Jackson who are only 25.

And then hopefully game time for Dozzell, Dobra, Kenlock, Morris, Lankester, El Mizouni through the season, it starts to look very rosey.

Promotion and Marcus would no doubt spend again. To fill the gaps of ageing players and the like of Garbutt if he can’t be kept.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves; and as you say it’s just great to be excited by Town and trips to Portman Road. Whisper it... my son is actually asking to come to PR, years of McCarhyism almost destroyed the chance of him becoming a true blue. And no he’s not imaginary like all my mates.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 18:13 - Sep 19 with 977 viewsChurchman

SB

This is exactly how I feel.

I don’t think that PL is the greatest manager the world has ever seen and actually I don’t care. It feels like he is trying to understand the club in a way that his predecessors under Evans never did. For a provincial club that is crucial and most successful managers here have done it. I think he will give the younger players a chance, not least because in this league they have a chance to develop.

Fingers crossed it’s not a false dawn. Because were winning without playing well I’ve a sneaky feeling it isn’t and somebody is in line for a right hammering.
There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 18:22 - Sep 19 with 946 viewsunstableblue

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 18:13 - Sep 19 by Churchman

This is exactly how I feel.

I don’t think that PL is the greatest manager the world has ever seen and actually I don’t care. It feels like he is trying to understand the club in a way that his predecessors under Evans never did. For a provincial club that is crucial and most successful managers here have done it. I think he will give the younger players a chance, not least because in this league they have a chance to develop.

Fingers crossed it’s not a false dawn. Because were winning without playing well I’ve a sneaky feeling it isn’t and somebody is in line for a right hammering.

I know what you mean about Lambert, and I have concerns, because we need long term manager to truly do well in the Championship.

But I was reassured by the Tuesday starting 11; that was a really good selection and system, and it was effective. I think failed in the second half as much to do with Norris being injured, and more importantly Huws and Garbutt tired.

The Gills team selection is going to be very interesting. Just hope we're talking in a month or two about how happy we are with Lambert's selections and the style we are playing.

There's still some way to go to that Burley project momentum... on 18:24 - Sep 19 with 941 viewswkj

Momentum...

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024