Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience 14:47 - Sep 19 with 1723 viewsSpruceMoose

Old, British and xenophobic!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/19/saga-travel-firm-advertises-cru
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 14:47]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 14:53 - Sep 19 with 1345 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ahem, I think you'll find that that brochure with Saga on the front in big letters which sells Saga holidays isn't actually a Saga brochure. Or something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 14:57 - Sep 19 with 1337 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 14:53 - Sep 19 by Swansea_Blue

Ahem, I think you'll find that that brochure with Saga on the front in big letters which sells Saga holidays isn't actually a Saga brochure. Or something.

Because no business ever outsources the printing of brochures etc do they?

Not saying they aren't guilty. If the other company is independent, it will be interesting to see how they react to being thrown under the bus.

I'm not sure what the issue is to be honest. I don't understand why it would be a selling point for it to be Brits only but i'm not sure why there would be such outrage if a cruise like that was offered and booked.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:01 - Sep 19 with 1315 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 14:57 - Sep 19 by J2BLUE

Not saying they aren't guilty. If the other company is independent, it will be interesting to see how they react to being thrown under the bus.

I'm not sure what the issue is to be honest. I don't understand why it would be a selling point for it to be Brits only but i'm not sure why there would be such outrage if a cruise like that was offered and booked.

No reputable comms team from any company that I have ever worked with or for would allow anything to be put into the public domain with their name on it without giving it the go ahead.

You really don't see an issue with offering a trip based on the promise that you won't have to be near any foreigners? I guess my wife and I wouldn't be able to enjoy this cruise anyway, seeing as she isn't a Brit. That and the fact that it would be full of utterly xenophobic c0ckwombles.

What about it we flip it. Would it still be ok if they said, "Hey book our cruise, no Irish!"?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:03]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:05 - Sep 19 with 1283 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:01 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

No reputable comms team from any company that I have ever worked with or for would allow anything to be put into the public domain with their name on it without giving it the go ahead.

You really don't see an issue with offering a trip based on the promise that you won't have to be near any foreigners? I guess my wife and I wouldn't be able to enjoy this cruise anyway, seeing as she isn't a Brit. That and the fact that it would be full of utterly xenophobic c0ckwombles.

What about it we flip it. Would it still be ok if they said, "Hey book our cruise, no Irish!"?

If I lived in America and there was a similar brochure with Americans only I wouldn't think anything of it. As I said, I can't understand why it would be a selling point but it wouldn't offend me.

Truly impaired.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:05 - Sep 19 with 1278 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 14:57 - Sep 19 by J2BLUE

At the very least that's what a printer's proof is for.

Someone should be getting a raise - it's a great marketing ploy for their target audience (if you ignore the moral/legal aspects!).

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:07 - Sep 19 with 1273 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:05 - Sep 19 by J2BLUE

If I lived in America and there was a similar brochure with Americans only I wouldn't think anything of it. As I said, I can't understand why it would be a selling point but it wouldn't offend me.

The idea is still the same, just the phrasing is different. What about if we apply the concept to other businesses? British only hotels? British only supermarkets? British only care homes? Surely you can see the issue?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:08]

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:11 - Sep 19 with 1254 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:01 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

Accepting that your final sentence is probably correct it should be noted that Saga are not alone in advertising the Britishness of their cruise ships. You don't have to British to appreciate Britishness.

Would say that recent Saga radio adverts have seemed to me to be lowering their sights as far as a target market is concerned probably because of with new ships added to their fleet they have increased capacity.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:13 - Sep 19 with 1245 viewshomer_123

SAGA = Sex and games for the aged

And British.....white.....mildly xenphobic and tory voting.....please.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:15 - Sep 19 with 1232 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:11 - Sep 19 by Pinewoodblue

Accepting that your final sentence is probably correct it should be noted that Saga are not alone in advertising the Britishness of their cruise ships. You don't have to British to appreciate Britishness.

Would say that recent Saga radio adverts have seemed to me to be lowering their sights as far as a target market is concerned probably because of with new ships added to their fleet they have increased capacity.

Oh no doubt there is money to be made out of Brexit and the anti-foreigner feelings that it has dragged up from the depths.

Whenever there is a buck to be made there's someone ready and willing to exploit it.

To be clear though, I have no issue with businesses promoting the 'Britishness' of their product. Britain is perceived to have many good aspects that can be lent to goods and services to increase their appeal.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:16 - Sep 19 with 1229 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:07 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

The idea is still the same, just the phrasing is different. What about if we apply the concept to other businesses? British only hotels? British only supermarkets? British only care homes? Surely you can see the issue?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:08]

I don't consider it the same as singling out one nationality.

Just to clarify, was it one cruise advertised like that or their entire list of cruises? The Guardian suggested it was one cruise. The tweets suggest it's the entire brochure. Clearly it's an issue if it is their entire list of cruises.

Truly impaired.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:19 - Sep 19 with 1213 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:16 - Sep 19 by J2BLUE

Just to clarify, was it one cruise advertised like that or their entire list of cruises? The Guardian suggested it was one cruise. The tweets suggest it's the entire brochure. Clearly it's an issue if it is their entire list of cruises.

I don't see the difference whether it's one cruise or many?

Anyway, what I'm interested in is, was it a genuine mistake, or was it an actual offering they're now disowning because they've got some blowback?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:21]

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:20 - Sep 19 with 1210 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:15 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

Oh no doubt there is money to be made out of Brexit and the anti-foreigner feelings that it has dragged up from the depths.

Whenever there is a buck to be made there's someone ready and willing to exploit it.

To be clear though, I have no issue with businesses promoting the 'Britishness' of their product. Britain is perceived to have many good aspects that can be lent to goods and services to increase their appeal.

Don't think Brexit has anything to do with it.

2023 year of destiny

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:22 - Sep 19 with 1195 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:20 - Sep 19 by Pinewoodblue

Don't think Brexit has anything to do with it.

You don't think the last few years has created an environment of hostility towards foreigners that has probably always been bubbling under the surface, but never vocalised so happily?

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:22 - Sep 19 with 1196 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:16 - Sep 19 by J2BLUE

Front page seemingly. I find the response quite amusing. It's today's THING TO BE OUTRAGED ABOUT and seems to be spreading like wildfire. Every day there seems to be something to get people frothing at the mouth. (That's not to say it's probably not sensible/allowed).

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:24 - Sep 19 with 1176 viewsfooters

The real question is, why would anyone want to go on a cruise?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:26 - Sep 19 with 1170 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:22 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

You don't think the last few years has created an environment of hostility towards foreigners that has probably always been bubbling under the surface, but never vocalised so happily?

It existed before Brexit but is more vocally expressed these days. What would Enoch Powell have made of Brexit?

2023 year of destiny

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:28 - Sep 19 with 1164 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:22 - Sep 19 by Swansea_Blue

Front page seemingly. I find the response quite amusing. It's today's THING TO BE OUTRAGED ABOUT and seems to be spreading like wildfire. Every day there seems to be something to get people frothing at the mouth. (That's not to say it's probably not sensible/allowed).

I don't think it is helpful for legitimate concerns to be dismissed as frothing at the mouth really. That's a tactic of those on the right and one they use successfully to get away with all kinds of stuff, mainly by shifting the focus onto the complainer rather than the thing being complained about.

If this was a mistake then fair enough, it seems like an internal matter for SAGA to deal with. No need for folk to go overboard (if you pardon the pun!)

However, if it wasn't a mistake and was an actual offering that they put together, then I think it is fine to be concerned about living in an environment where corporations think offering products to one nationality at the exclusion of others are viewed is acceptable.

I suspect this was a mistake, but I'm curious as to how it happened because it didn't just print itself.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:28 - Sep 19 with 1162 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:24 - Sep 19 by footers

Easier than trying to swim those sorts of distances in a week

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:29 - Sep 19 with 1155 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:26 - Sep 19 by Pinewoodblue

It existed before Brexit but is more vocally expressed these days. What would Enoch Powell have made of Brexit?

So therefore Brexit has got something to do with it. It's created an environment when xenophobic views don't have to be kept hidden away. And if they aren't hidden away then someone can make some money off them.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:39]

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:38 - Sep 19 with 1126 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:24 - Sep 19 by footers

There are some very good themed cruises where a company charters a cruisese ship for exclusive use.

We went on Flower Power Cruise earlier this year from Florida 4 of 7 days were sea days. No stuffy dress code for dinning. Exercised ,while onboard, option to book same cabin for next year as did 70% of passengers. Remaining cabins sold out in five hours.

2023 year of destiny

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:39 - Sep 19 with 1124 viewsbrazil1982

Blimey more outrage for a nothing story.

If it's for British nationals only to purchase, then of course it is wrong.

Could just mean exclusive purchase if you live in Britain?
Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:41 - Sep 19 with 1115 viewshomer_123

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:29 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

So therefore Brexit has got something to do with it. It's created an environment when xenophobic views don't have to be kept hidden away. And if they aren't hidden away then someone can make some money off them.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:39]

But surely you actually want those xenophobic views to be voiced and to be able to identify where they coming from?

Then you can educate, inform and begin to change views and opinions.

Hidden away, merely means that no one knows there an issue to be dealt with.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:41 - Sep 19 with 1117 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:39 - Sep 19 by brazil1982

Blimey more outrage for a nothing story.

If it's for British nationals only to purchase, then of course it is wrong.

Could just mean exclusive purchase if you live in Britain?

"If it's for British nationals only to purchase, then of course it is wrong."

but

"Blimey more outrage for a nothing story."

Thanks for that scintillating insight, Gary
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 15:43]

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:44 - Sep 19 with 1101 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:41 - Sep 19 by homer_123

But surely you actually want those xenophobic views to be voiced and to be able to identify where they coming from?

Then you can educate, inform and begin to change views and opinions.

Hidden away, merely means that no one knows there an issue to be dealt with.

I think the reasons behind idiotic bigotry can be tackled without it being within a comfy environment for people to spout those views.

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:47 - Sep 19 with 1092 viewshomer_123

Seems to me SAGA/Cruise.co.uk definitely know their target audience on 15:44 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

I think the reasons behind idiotic bigotry can be tackled without it being within a comfy environment for people to spout those views.

Not suggesting it should be a comfy environment as such. More that it's better out and tackled that repressed, festering etc etc

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024