Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation was a mistake... 15:10 - Sep 18 with 5979 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Shouldn't have happened. Can't work out why it happened. All just one massive mistake that shouldn't have happened. We're far too good for this level of football, and we've not even found our stride yet.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:11 - Sep 18 with 5071 viewsMetal_Hacker

Getting my popcorn out

Poll: If it were one or the other

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:13 - Sep 18 with 5052 viewsclive_baker

Paul Hurst is why it happened.

But we are where we are, let's enjoy the ride and hope we can get back at the first attempt, because it won't get any easier in year 2.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:16 - Sep 18 with 5019 viewsWD19

As someone posted yesterday, despite often having no obvious system or structure we are too good for most of this league......but nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

Hopefully the next few months allows us to settle and grow. We have the talent in the squad to be able to build a reasonable Championship team.
Relegation was a mistake... on 15:17 - Sep 18 with 5007 viewsReuser_is_God

It happened because we finished bottom of the Championship.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:34 - Sep 18 with 4936 viewsPositivelyPortman

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:13 - Sep 18 by clive_baker

Paul Hurst is why it happened.

But we are where we are, let's enjoy the ride and hope we can get back at the first attempt, because it won't get any easier in year 2.

McCarthy is why it happened. If he’d have ticked along, as in his first couple of seasons, all would have been sweet. There’ll be those that will deny it, but at least 80% wanted him gone as he’d totally lost it. Playing ludicrous formations with some of his worse acquisitions constantly, and then swearing at the very people that paid for his enormous salary.
I loved him and his cheery quips for the first couple of years, how he rescued us from the jaws of relegation that first year I’ll never understand. He left us in a dire state in the end.
Thank god PL has pulled the players, fans and management together again. Over 3,600 fans at a Tuesday evening match is testament to the power of good management and PR.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:36 - Sep 18 with 4923 viewsOldsmoker

This season our aim is to win games and win promotion.
Previous seasons our aim has been not to lose and not get relegated.
It's a different mindset and a welcome one.
The question "Why do we have an Academy if we never play them?" is no longer asked as we are using those Academy graduates this season. The Championship is a step too far for most of the graduates to experience first team football.
Next season, we will have had the experience of a season of winning games and a group of youngsters who are ready for first team action at a higher level.
The fact that we have had to move backwards to move forwards irks me too but if (when) we get promoted back to the Championship we won't be makeweights, we'll be contenders.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:36 - Sep 18 with 4920 viewsEdwardStone

I think I know what you're saying

My take is that we were simply unlucky....

Too many reffing decisions went against us, dodgy penalties for the other side given and our better claims turned down

We were not very good last season, but ver ver unlucky

Bit brighter this season tho'
Relegation was a mistake... on 15:37 - Sep 18 with 4905 viewsjeera

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:34 - Sep 18 by PositivelyPortman

McCarthy is why it happened. If he’d have ticked along, as in his first couple of seasons, all would have been sweet. There’ll be those that will deny it, but at least 80% wanted him gone as he’d totally lost it. Playing ludicrous formations with some of his worse acquisitions constantly, and then swearing at the very people that paid for his enormous salary.
I loved him and his cheery quips for the first couple of years, how he rescued us from the jaws of relegation that first year I’ll never understand. He left us in a dire state in the end.
Thank god PL has pulled the players, fans and management together again. Over 3,600 fans at a Tuesday evening match is testament to the power of good management and PR.

" He left us in a dire state in the end."

It's almost like Hurst didn't happen.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:40 - Sep 18 with 4882 viewsDarth_Koont

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:16 - Sep 18 by WD19

As someone posted yesterday, despite often having no obvious system or structure we are too good for most of this league......but nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

Hopefully the next few months allows us to settle and grow. We have the talent in the squad to be able to build a reasonable Championship team.

Indeed. We're in limbo this season until we get promoted again or we at least start showing how we'll cope better in the Championship next time around.

Pronouns: He/Him

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:40 - Sep 18 with 4879 viewsMrTown

Tehe, you devil, you little devil.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:40 - Sep 18 with 4880 viewsBent_double

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:16 - Sep 18 by WD19

'we are too good for most of this league......but nowhere near good enough for the Championship.'

There should be a 'League 0.5' , we'd be OK there.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:44 - Sep 18 with 4855 viewsDarth_Koont

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:37 - Sep 18 by jeera

Indeed. We had a side that punched above its weight, had gathered some value over the years and was making good use of its youngsters.

Hurst threw all of that out the window in a couple of months. Lambert then came in and couldn't turn it around - all while playing football that was every bit as bad as Mick's worst stuff.

But looks like we were desperate for something to happen even if it was something bad. And the emergence of Blue Action probably did more to save the club and stop things turning even nastier than anything else. We could have done with them a season before when people were jeering youngsters for misplaced passes.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 17:10]

Pronouns: He/Him

Relegation was a mistake... on 16:02 - Sep 18 with 4774 viewsHullblue

Not sure we’re ‘far too good for this level of football.’ We’ve had a good start, but we’ve ridden our luck at times too - including last night against a mid table side.

If everything clicks we might yet be a great side at this level, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Relegation was a mistake... on 18:49 - Sep 18 with 4522 viewsPositivelyPortman

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:37 - Sep 18 by jeera

Who dat?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

You been on the glue mate.....? on 18:51 - Sep 18 with 4514 viewsBloots

…..or are you just trying to catch a Bluefish?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 18:52]

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:22 - Sep 18 with 4421 viewsFromIpswichToPhoenix

This was the best thing to happen to the club in a long time. I can't remember the last time I've seen fans so positive and so united. Increased attendance at games both home and away. Positive results on the pitch. This was the shot in the arm we needed. If we can keep this pace up, we can get auto promotion and really give the Championship a go with a team that has finally gelled together. Personally, this is the most optimistic I've been able the club in a while. And certainly more appreciative after seeing what happened to Bury.
Relegation was a mistake... on 19:28 - Sep 18 with 4393 viewsMullet

You've just described Hurst and attributed it to MM. We were nowhere near relegation when MM left, we finished immediately above Leeds and Norwich even with Klug pissing about with the team and formations.

You can bleat on about "getting your club back" and all that sh1te all day long, and somehow latch that onto the fact Mick McCarthy acted like Mick McCarthy in the face of being abused. But you lot all missed what Evans had been (not) doing and then act all grateful when he makes a video and finally listens to who and what was let of the club he plunged to its lowest level in six decades.

To even be a solid midtable side again could take years.

We've made a good enough start to think we might get away with this fall from grace, but we go back to the second tier massively disadvantaged. Hurst and his incompetence will echo on long after this season, and the catalyst for that was Evans disinterest.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:37 - Sep 18 with 4358 viewsNthQldITFC

Relegation was a mistake... on 15:40 - Sep 18 by Bent_double

'we are too good for most of this league......but nowhere near good enough for the Championship.'

There should be a 'League 0.5' , we'd be OK there.

Can we agree that would be Football League Division 2½ please?

I still can't get my head around all this Premiership League, Champion League Ship, League 1 mumbo-jumbo.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 19:37]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:50 - Sep 18 with 4296 viewsChurchman

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:28 - Sep 18 by Mullet

You've just described Hurst and attributed it to MM. We were nowhere near relegation when MM left, we finished immediately above Leeds and Norwich even with Klug pissing about with the team and formations.

You can bleat on about "getting your club back" and all that sh1te all day long, and somehow latch that onto the fact Mick McCarthy acted like Mick McCarthy in the face of being abused. But you lot all missed what Evans had been (not) doing and then act all grateful when he makes a video and finally listens to who and what was let of the club he plunged to its lowest level in six decades.

We've made a good enough start to think we might get away with this fall from grace, but we go back to the second tier massively disadvantaged. Hurst and his incompetence will echo on long after this season, and the catalyst for that was Evans disinterest.

I agree with the majority of this, particularly around Evans allowing the club to rot away and the fact that Hurst (chosen by Evans) hosed away a potentially decent little side.

However, McCarthy’s abrasive you’re lucky to have me style in addition to how he thought the game should be played I think led to a lot of divisiveness between the club and supporters. I cannot forgive his behaviour at Norwich (for which he should have been immediately fired) and the drudgery of going to games for the last couple of years followed by patronising comments by MM.

If we get up this year, you may be right. But I thought that of Charlton and they’re doing ok.
Relegation was a mistake... on 19:57 - Sep 18 with 4255 viewsMullet

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:50 - Sep 18 by Churchman

I agree with the majority of this, particularly around Evans allowing the club to rot away and the fact that Hurst (chosen by Evans) hosed away a potentially decent little side.

However, McCarthy’s abrasive you’re lucky to have me style in addition to how he thought the game should be played I think led to a lot of divisiveness between the club and supporters. I cannot forgive his behaviour at Norwich (for which he should have been immediately fired) and the drudgery of going to games for the last couple of years followed by patronising comments by MM.

If we get up this year, you may be right. But I thought that of Charlton and they’re doing ok.

Even if you take an ultra critical stance of MM defending himself, it had nothing to do with relegation. He left us solid and stable (as his critics loved to point out) at worst. We had talented players which Hurst all sold off.

Barry from Kesgrave being a bit miffed for months on end because so elderly bloke told him to stick it up himself, (even multiplied to the mythical millions that it became) did not get us relegated. It's completely illogical to even pretend like they did and still do.

If anything Hurst got away with so much because he had such overwhelming good will and every mistake was put down to "Micks men" and their treachery or players being so well coached (oh the irony) in Mick's way etc. That all turned out to be bollucks too, when it came to light Chambers and Skuse were the ones keeping it all together.

Mick got season bests out of player after player, it was Hurst who ruined their mental state and performances in a matter of weeks. Hurst got us relegated, Evans allowed it, Lambert didn't stop it. He's the one we back to reverse it asap, and let's hope he carries on doing it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:58 - Sep 18 with 4255 viewsmanchego

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:22 - Sep 18 by FromIpswichToPhoenix

This was the best thing to happen to the club in a long time. I can't remember the last time I've seen fans so positive and so united. Increased attendance at games both home and away. Positive results on the pitch. This was the shot in the arm we needed. If we can keep this pace up, we can get auto promotion and really give the Championship a go with a team that has finally gelled together. Personally, this is the most optimistic I've been able the club in a while. And certainly more appreciative after seeing what happened to Bury.

None of that makes sense but I'm completely with you.
Winning !
Clean Sheets !
Top of the League ! ( or second or something )
Away Fans being bonkers !
Looking forward to the next match !
Relegation was a mistake... on 20:04 - Sep 18 with 4221 viewsStewart27

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:28 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Evans is a disease but Mick’s style of football was the lowest point of my town supporting life.

He was happy to take his pay cheque knowing that he saved little Ipswich from relegation. I wish what we are doing now happened 4 years ago and I can blot the memories of 10k crowds and hearing a pin drop at PR from my memory. I can’t and his tenure still hurts.

I couldn’t give a sh!t about staying in the championship being an also ran. It was turgid.
Relegation was a mistake... on 20:11 - Sep 18 with 4187 viewsChurchman

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:57 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Even if you take an ultra critical stance of MM defending himself, it had nothing to do with relegation. He left us solid and stable (as his critics loved to point out) at worst. We had talented players which Hurst all sold off.

Barry from Kesgrave being a bit miffed for months on end because so elderly bloke told him to stick it up himself, (even multiplied to the mythical millions that it became) did not get us relegated. It's completely illogical to even pretend like they did and still do.

If anything Hurst got away with so much because he had such overwhelming good will and every mistake was put down to "Micks men" and their treachery or players being so well coached (oh the irony) in Mick's way etc. That all turned out to be bollucks too, when it came to light Chambers and Skuse were the ones keeping it all together.

Mick got season bests out of player after player, it was Hurst who ruined their mental state and performances in a matter of weeks. Hurst got us relegated, Evans allowed it, Lambert didn't stop it. He's the one we back to reverse it asap, and let's hope he carries on doing it.

I thought his attitude was a disgrace. But I agree, he certainly didn’t get us relegated. We were a long way from that until the wrecking ball midget rocked up and Evans saw a bit of recouping £££. I just think that there was a lot wrong within the club under McCarthy, whether he just concentrated on he first team and ignored the rest of what was happening I’ve no idea. All I do know is that PL is a far more inclusive manager. Whether he is successful, time will tell.
Relegation was a mistake... on 20:16 - Sep 18 with 4168 viewsTheBoyBlue

Once Paul Lambert had settled us down, it was clear towards the end of the season that we were a middling Championship team with no goalscorers. We're still essentially a middling Championship team but with goalscorers. That said, the last couple of games have shown we haven't entirely got ourselves sorted in front of goal. If Jackson & Norwood keep on as they have and others pitch in, there should be no problem us going back up.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Relegation was a mistake... on 20:17 - Sep 18 with 4161 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Relegation was a mistake... on 19:57 - Sep 18 by Mullet

Nailed it.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024