Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The tragic side of gambling 10:09 - Sep 18 with 10052 viewsBrixtonBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-49687500

Everything about this story is absolutely awful.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:04 - Sep 18 with 2046 viewsWeekender

The tragic side of gambling on 15:01 - Sep 18 by StokieBlue

Those are situational factors not mathematical factors.

Given an infinite pot of money and time his strategy should be mathematically cohesive.

It's more a thought exercise than something that someone should actually do.

SB

This.

Explained much more intelligently than I did.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:10 - Sep 18 with 2039 viewsDyland

The tragic side of gambling on 13:51 - Sep 18 by Oldsmoker

Some 30 years ago, a friend of mine said he'd read an article that stated that the favourite would win at least one race at a meeting. The number of meetings where a favourite had failed to win was so few as to be statistically counted at zero.
So, you bet £10 on the favourite in the first race to win £20 profit. It loses.
You place a bet on the favourite in the second race to recover your losses (£10) and to win your £20 profit.
And on you go.
You could be betting on the last race about £100 to recover your losses and make a £20 profit thinking that this might be one of those meetings where the favourite doesn't win a race.
Could you hold your nerve?
By the way, as soon as the favourite wins a race you stop betting and pocket your £20 profit.

I have a similar story from years ago when a gambling pal persuaded another pal to invest fifty quid in a day's betting with a "system" of spreading many bets only across favourites and on the nose, at different meetings. My gambling pal was unemployed and the other a skint student, and a very skintight one at that. But he was convinced by the gambler it was a sound system. So in they went with their hundred quid, loads of small bets places with some thought across different faves racing that afternoon. Guess what? On that day not a single favourite won.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:13 - Sep 18 with 2034 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:10 - Sep 18 by Dyland

I have a similar story from years ago when a gambling pal persuaded another pal to invest fifty quid in a day's betting with a "system" of spreading many bets only across favourites and on the nose, at different meetings. My gambling pal was unemployed and the other a skint student, and a very skintight one at that. But he was convinced by the gambler it was a sound system. So in they went with their hundred quid, loads of small bets places with some thought across different faves racing that afternoon. Guess what? On that day not a single favourite won.

Gambling may be a mug's game, but betting on favourites in horseracing is the preserve of the cockwomble.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:16 - Sep 18 with 2025 viewsWeWereZombies

The tragic side of gambling on 15:13 - Sep 18 by footers

Gambling may be a mug's game, but betting on favourites in horseracing is the preserve of the cockwomble.

Surely the preserve of the cockwomble is a jam collected from the blackberry bushes near the toilets on Wimbledon Common?

Re your earlier post that asked if there was a country with a worse gambling culture than the United Kingdom (and then answered yourself, probably wrongly, with Australia) may I suggest China?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:24 - Sep 18 with 2014 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:16 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

Surely the preserve of the cockwomble is a jam collected from the blackberry bushes near the toilets on Wimbledon Common?

Re your earlier post that asked if there was a country with a worse gambling culture than the United Kingdom (and then answered yourself, probably wrongly, with Australia) may I suggest China?

Fancy a bit of damson jam, now you mention it :)

That's just what I was told, buh! Of course, the Chinese do love a bit of a flutter. Not against it myself, but it's clear there's a deep-seated problem with it here.

In fact, I'd put good money on it.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:32 - Sep 18 with 2006 viewsJ2BLUE

Given an infinite pot of money and time his strategy should be mathematically cohesive.

SB

What the hell is going on here? Me and Ryorry have been attacked for years on here for 'promoting' gambling. We've both seen endless variations of that 'strategy' and are trying to be crystal clear that it's a terrible idea in the real world People then reply arguing that it would work with an endless time scale, endless bankroll and a bookie which would take bets without limit. Well no sh1t.

You can't win on here sometimes. Sorry for the rant but I would have thought the forum would be more interested in making the real world consequences clear (given the reputation of gambling and previous accusations) than promoting a 'thought exercise'.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 15:32]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:35 - Sep 18 with 1995 viewsDarth_Koont

The tragic side of gambling on 15:16 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

"Surely the preserve of the cockwomble is a jam collected from the blackberry bushes near the toilets on Wimbledon Common?"

Arf! Very good.

Pronouns: He/Him

The tragic side of gambling on 15:36 - Sep 18 with 1991 viewsJ2BLUE

The tragic side of gambling on 15:04 - Sep 18 by Weekender

This.

Explained much more intelligently than I did.

That didn't need explaining. It's incredibly obvious that loss recovery works with no limits to bankroll or bet acceptance.

In the real world you don't have an infinite bankroll or you wouldn't bother with such a strategy in the first place and you won't find anywhere to accept bets to unlimited amounts. That's why every online roulette table has a limit now. Usually £1-£100, £5-£500 etc.

It's a stupid strategy in the real world. In fantasy land, well done, you've discovered a money tree.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

The tragic side of gambling on 15:38 - Sep 18 with 1991 viewsRyorry

SB

Sure, but the person posting this system up initially (Oldsmoker) did so as a potential reality, not as just a "thought exercise", and I'm not sure how common having a few £million in your bank account is! given the exponential possibilities.

Seems just another take on the old "double or bust" approach, which always was a ruinous one.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The tragic side of gambling on 15:39 - Sep 18 with 1988 viewsWeWereZombies

The tragic side of gambling on 15:24 - Sep 18 by footers

Fancy a bit of damson jam, now you mention it :)

That's just what I was told, buh! Of course, the Chinese do love a bit of a flutter. Not against it myself, but it's clear there's a deep-seated problem with it here.

In fact, I'd put good money on it.

To be fair my assertion is based on hearsay (and that 'One shot' scene in 'The Deerhunter'...which is supposed to be in Vietnam...and was filmed in Thailand).

The tragic side of gambling on 15:40 - Sep 18 with 1988 viewsWeekender

The tragic side of gambling on 15:32 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

What the hell is going on here? Me and Ryorry have been attacked for years on here for 'promoting' gambling. We've both seen endless variations of that 'strategy' and are trying to be crystal clear that it's a terrible idea in the real world People then reply arguing that it would work with an endless time scale, endless bankroll and a bookie which would take bets without limit. Well no sh1t.

You can't win on here sometimes. Sorry for the rant but I would have thought the forum would be more interested in making the real world consequences clear (given the reputation of gambling and previous accusations) than promoting a 'thought exercise'.

Slight overreaction.

Its up to the forum to decide the direction of a conversation. SB and I just corrected Ryorry's misunderstanding.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:41 - Sep 18 with 1980 viewsStokieBlue

The tragic side of gambling on 15:32 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

You're right, that is a rant and one that isn't deserved.

Lots of people included myself have stated it's awful, had a pop at the firms and discussed the real-life consequences. That doesn't mean someone can't post tangential information and that others can't assist in clarifying it.

You've gone off the deep end here.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

The tragic side of gambling on 15:41 - Sep 18 with 1980 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:39 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

To be fair my assertion is based on hearsay (and that 'One shot' scene in 'The Deerhunter'...which is supposed to be in Vietnam...and was filmed in Thailand).

You're probably right in your assertion, but it's difficult to prove as so much of the gambling in China is off the books. Macau, I believe, is, in terms of revenues, still the biggest place for gambling on Earth. And if that's just what's officially recorded, then it's just the tip of the iceberg.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:43 - Sep 18 with 1978 viewsRyorry

The tragic side of gambling on 15:40 - Sep 18 by Weekender

Slight overreaction.

Its up to the forum to decide the direction of a conversation. SB and I just corrected Ryorry's misunderstanding.

As I just said (but you may not have seen my post yet) it wasn't a misunderstanding; Oldsmoker posted the system up initially as a potential reality.

J2 - my previous post was written before I'd seen yours of 15.32 & 15.36.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:46 - Sep 18 with 1969 viewsJ2BLUE

The tragic side of gambling on 15:40 - Sep 18 by Weekender

Slight overreaction.

I assure you she understood perfectly well but give this forum's usual zero tolerance for any sort of promotion of gambling she probably didn't think a purely theoretical strategy was worth mentioning.

To the person in the bookies with their monthly wages starting with £1 on red and needing to find £1024 to make £1 profit after 8 blacks and 2 zeros it will be little comfort to know that the theory is sound over an endless period of time with an unlimited bankroll.

Truly impaired.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:52 - Sep 18 with 1948 viewsRyorry

Anyway, for once I think we can all agree that attempting to chase losses via doubling up of stakes in compound fashion is a disastrous road to ruination! (probably )

The tragic side of gambling on 15:52 - Sep 18 with 1945 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:46 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

I assure you she understood perfectly well but give this forum's usual zero tolerance for any sort of promotion of gambling she probably didn't think a purely theoretical strategy was worth mentioning.

To the person in the bookies with their monthly wages starting with £1 on red and needing to find £1024 to make £1 profit after 8 blacks and 2 zeros it will be little comfort to know that the theory is sound over an endless period of time with an unlimited bankroll.

J2, serious question and real talk now (please don't get angry with me!). Given your excellent, informed post on the dangers of gambling on page one, can I ask how or why you persist with wanting to make a living out of it? You obviously know the dangers.

Is it because it's just a temporary thing, or is your system genuinely not gambling, ie assured through matched betting? Genuinely curious.

The tragic side of gambling on 15:53 - Sep 18 with 1941 viewsOldsmoker

The tragic side of gambling on 15:38 - Sep 18 by Ryorry

Sure, but the person posting this system up initially (Oldsmoker) did so as a potential reality, not as just a "thought exercise", and I'm not sure how common having a few £million in your bank account is! given the exponential possibilities.

Seems just another take on the old "double or bust" approach, which always was a ruinous one.

And to just to confirm what I said - It is a terrible strategy.

However there is this which was based on statistics

John Carter and Paul Simon’s book The Hole-in-One Gang, published in 1993, relates how they consistently won payouts in 1991 by betting on a hole-in-one being made at five of the bigger golf tournaments on the professional tours. The smaller bookmakers had not done their research and were pricing the bet far too highly. Some bookies were quoting 100 to 1 on a hole-in-one, whereas the correct odds are actually nearer 1 to 1. A total of £30,000 was wagered in person at various smaller betting shops around the country in a series of single, double and treble bets on there being holes-in-one at that year’s Benson & Hedges, Volvo PGA, The Open, the US Open and the European Open events.

They won a lot of money but were rumbled so they wrote the book.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The tragic side of gambling on 15:55 - Sep 18 with 1926 viewsStokieBlue

The tragic side of gambling on 15:46 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

I am sure she did understand but she was mixing up situational variables with purely mathematical variables hence my post.

Nobody is advocating that someone should attempt to prove this theory in the real world. Nobody is promoting it as a viable strategy.

I don't really understand your attitude on this point. You are essentially saying abstract thought shouldn't be voiced on certain subjects. Should we not discuss the probability of Ipswich winning their next match in case someone decides to gamble based on that information?

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

The tragic side of gambling on 15:57 - Sep 18 with 1918 viewsSpruceMoose

The tragic side of gambling on 15:55 - Sep 18 by StokieBlue

I am sure she did understand but she was mixing up situational variables with purely mathematical variables hence my post.

Nobody is advocating that someone should attempt to prove this theory in the real world. Nobody is promoting it as a viable strategy.

I don't really understand your attitude on this point. You are essentially saying abstract thought shouldn't be voiced on certain subjects. Should we not discuss the probability of Ipswich winning their next match in case someone decides to gamble based on that information?

SB

Not if there are children reading.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The tragic side of gambling on 15:59 - Sep 18 with 1912 viewsJ2BLUE

The tragic side of gambling on 15:52 - Sep 18 by footers

J2, serious question and real talk now (please don't get angry with me!). Given your excellent, informed post on the dangers of gambling on page one, can I ask how or why you persist with wanting to make a living out of it? You obviously know the dangers.

Is it because it's just a temporary thing, or is your system genuinely not gambling, ie assured through matched betting? Genuinely curious.

I would need to write an essay to answer this. Maybe some other time.

Truly impaired.

The tragic side of gambling on 16:00 - Sep 18 with 1909 viewsJ2BLUE

The tragic side of gambling on 15:55 - Sep 18 by StokieBlue

SB

Lets agree to disagree. If you think those are the same level then we have nothing more to say to each other.

Truly impaired.

The tragic side of gambling on 16:02 - Sep 18 with 1904 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:57 - Sep 18 by SpruceMoose

Not if there are children reading.

A thought crossed my mind t'other day about this... On my way to work I often pass school children (despite the court order) and often hear them cursing a blue streak. If children are already using language like this at such a tender age, why the f***k do we need swear filters? But on the other hand they can see all the gambling ads they want!

Bit like America, innit- no cursing please, sir, or I'll shoot you in the head.

Mixed up values.

Sincerely,

A fan of industrial language

The tragic side of gambling on 16:03 - Sep 18 with 1899 viewsfooters

The tragic side of gambling on 15:59 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

I would need to write an essay to answer this. Maybe some other time.

OK, but just be careful- that's all I'm sayin'.

The tragic side of gambling on 16:03 - Sep 18 with 1898 viewsWeWereZombies

The tragic side of gambling on 15:53 - Sep 18 by Oldsmoker

And to just to confirm what I said - It is a terrible strategy.

However there is this which was based on statistics

John Carter and Paul Simon’s book The Hole-in-One Gang, published in 1993, relates how they consistently won payouts in 1991 by betting on a hole-in-one being made at five of the bigger golf tournaments on the professional tours. The smaller bookmakers had not done their research and were pricing the bet far too highly. Some bookies were quoting 100 to 1 on a hole-in-one, whereas the correct odds are actually nearer 1 to 1. A total of £30,000 was wagered in person at various smaller betting shops around the country in a series of single, double and treble bets on there being holes-in-one at that year’s Benson & Hedges, Volvo PGA, The Open, the US Open and the European Open events.

They won a lot of money but were rumbled so they wrote the book.

Didn't that get made into a film? Or a film was based on the premise, anyway I want to back up J2 and Ryorry in their dismissal of Weekender's assertion (yes, the forum's most anti-gambling poster is prepared to side with a professional gambler and someone who knows her horses). This attempt to win back losses through betting on favourites (using that information alone) can never work because the odds are in the bookies favour. And a bookie who rigged their odds in the punter's favour would not last long.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 16:39]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024