Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 02:19 - Sep 18 with 1071 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Been a long day but got what I wanted as I had said yesterday that it was all about 3 points today as the best way to forget the disappointing game against Doncaster. 3 points and back home being relieved. But an actual relief is enormous given the poor 2nd half performance.

I was very surprised with the amount of changes in the line-up but I liked that. Got my wish in dropping ineffective so far Judge. Seemed like an attacking approach and it proved to be the case in the first half in which we should and could have easily put the game to bed. Utterly dominant and not killing the game off was a regret. Jackson's one v one with Nicholls saved by their goalie plus Vincent-Young somehow failing to hit the target from close range. The latter though was absolutely brilliant throughout the first half and loved going forward at every opportunity. It is too premature to say that in him we've got the best right-back from a very long time, I'd say from Wilnis' days but the early signs are very promising.

Norwood going off made things worse for us as it's been a different story without him. In the second half which was draining we looked toothless with not fully fit Keane. Yes we had the ability to hit them on the break but unfortunately Nicholls had practically nothing to do just one lame shot from Downes.
We allowed MK Dons for too much. They were in our box too often in my opinion. We were toying with fire and got lucky a few times but there is main hero in Holy. We're very much indebted to him for saving us 3 points after the break. That save by his leg from the close range was particularly outstanding.

Most of our team looked somewhat jaded and some players' fitness level weren't sufficient. So the final whistle was like a bag of stones off my shoulders as the second half was really tiresome.

Huws and Nolan combining for the goal was one of the positive aspects as they hadn't play much this season. Vincent-Young for the first half, Holy for the 2nd. Need to mention Wilson too as again he hasn't done anything wrong.

However the biggest positive after today are numbers and stats. Yes we were lucky at times but the facts are that we got 3 points and this is a 4th clean sheet in a row, we remain unbeaten therefore f**k the negatives ;) The negatives remain but this is the subject for the different debate. Another numbers are in the shape of our phenomenal support for Tuesday night game. 3360 noisy Town fans so to be among them and taking 3 points means that this trek was worth every penny.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 2:20]
Match thoughts on 07:02 - Sep 18 with 737 viewsDurovigutum

They changed two players at half time, upped their intensity and altered shape slightly. We tired, lost our shape and intensity. We dropped too deep and allowed them to play, it helped they were poor in the final third.

The problem for me is this keeps happening, a good half then a poor half. As our intensity dropped we needed to augment the midfield as they had greater numbers - this didn’t matter first half as we had played so high tempo. The subs reverted us to a flat 4 4 2 and away from the diamond but didn’t put fresh like for like legs in the middle. We then lacked an outlet and were careless with possession, inviting pressure back on ourselves.

It’s still a work in progress, but the work to be done is apparent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024