Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? 23:26 - Sep 17 with 14143 viewsIllinoisblue

Just overly ambitious/mistaken idea of potential support?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 23:34 - Sep 17 with 12419 viewslinhdi

Enabling development for the vast retail park that surrounds it. So, they had to attract a major football club. They tried Watford. Then nearly trapped QPR. But, in the end, the amoral owners of Wimbledon gave in.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 01:20 - Sep 18 with 12225 viewsGuthrum

I actually thought, for a modern concrete bowl, it was unusually attractive, especially the open concourse. And the comfy seats, not that any Town fan used them.

Just need a few more MK supporters. If we didn't outnumber them, it was close.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 01:28 - Sep 18 with 12215 viewswkj

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 01:20 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

I actually thought, for a modern concrete bowl, it was unusually attractive, especially the open concourse. And the comfy seats, not that any Town fan used them.

Just need a few more MK supporters. If we didn't outnumber them, it was close.

It is curious how it draws so few in, I mean, it is a decent stadium as you say, despite the jaded history it could be a cracking club

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 07:48 - Sep 18 with 11835 viewsBLUEBEAT

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 01:28 - Sep 18 by wkj

It is curious how it draws so few in, I mean, it is a decent stadium as you say, despite the jaded history it could be a cracking club

I think it will be in time.

I like the stadium (for a new one) and I like the town, which also has a decent catchment area.

Only ‘big’ clubs nearby are Luton(!) and Watford.

They’re targeting the future with free (season)tickets for the youth.

Despite his creepy persona, their owner seems a decent sort.

Poll: W or W

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:11 - Sep 18 with 11733 viewsLeaky

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 01:28 - Sep 18 by wkj

Probably the same problem a lot of clubs in the lower leagues have , easy rail links to London & North West. Makes it easy to get to Premier League clubs or Championship teams. I know Posh have the same problem.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:16 - Sep 18 with 11706 viewsartsbossbeard

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 07:48 - Sep 18 by BLUEBEAT

I think it will be in time.

I like the stadium (for a new one) and I like the town, which also has a decent catchment area.

Only ‘big’ clubs nearby are Luton(!) and Watford.

They’re targeting the future with free (season)tickets for the youth.

Despite his creepy persona, their owner seems a decent sort.

Everyone I've ever met from Milton Keynes is standardly a monumental cock.

But I do work within the IT industry too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:24 - Sep 18 with 11659 viewssolemio

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:16 - Sep 18 by artsbossbeard

Everyone I've ever met from Milton Keynes is standardly a monumental cock.

But I do work within the IT industry too.

I'm sorry that both the people from MK that you have met failed to meet your exacting standards.

Before the unfortunate Wimbledon 'takeover' nonsense MK was the most populous place in Europe without a professional football team.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:26 - Sep 18 with 11642 viewsartsbossbeard

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:24 - Sep 18 by solemio

I'm sorry that both the people from MK that you have met failed to meet your exacting standards.

Before the unfortunate Wimbledon 'takeover' nonsense MK was the most populous place in Europe without a professional football team.

It's more "personal experience" over "exacting standards", In fairness.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:33 - Sep 18 with 11589 viewsslade1

No not overly ambitious, just ambitious. They built the stadium to be ready for the future, they had hoped to be in the Premier league by now but obviously that hasn't happened yet, although I'm sure it will one day.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 19:26 - Sep 18 with 11216 viewsbluewhite

Not really...
The club originally moved to MK because that's where a vacant stadium happened to be immediately available for them: that white elephant of a vanity project, the National Hockey Stadium. Remember it? MK Dons played there from 2003-2007. (It was demolished in 2010 as there really was no further use for it.)

MK town council were only too delighted to have them as they dearly fancied a ready-made league club for their plastic town. They promptly set about building them a massive arena, for free.
(Not so good though for the existing local club, non-league Milton Keynes City, which folded in 2003 since the good residents of MK decided they were really life-long fans of their local League club.)

All this tied in with England's ill fated World Cup bid at the time. Confident that the bid would succeed, MK applied to be one of the host cities; and equally confident that they would be, they built their stadium to World Cup standards. Hence the size and all those padded seats, large open concourses, etc.

The rest is history... inasmuch as that word can ever be applied to anything to do with MK.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 20:37 - Sep 18 with 11027 viewsbournemouthblue

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 19:26 - Sep 18 by bluewhite

Not really...
The club originally moved to MK because that's where a vacant stadium happened to be immediately available for them: that white elephant of a vanity project, the National Hockey Stadium. Remember it? MK Dons played there from 2003-2007. (It was demolished in 2010 as there really was no further use for it.)

MK town council were only too delighted to have them as they dearly fancied a ready-made league club for their plastic town. They promptly set about building them a massive arena, for free.
(Not so good though for the existing local club, non-league Milton Keynes City, which folded in 2003 since the good residents of MK decided they were really life-long fans of their local League club.)

All this tied in with England's ill fated World Cup bid at the time. Confident that the bid would succeed, MK applied to be one of the host cities; and equally confident that they would be, they built their stadium to World Cup standards. Hence the size and all those padded seats, large open concourses, etc.

The rest is history... inasmuch as that word can ever be applied to anything to do with MK.

International standards it maybe, it would still have had to be 44k for the World Cup so it could have been even more oversized

They weren't the only club considering 44k capacities though

Reading, Plymouth and one or two others were considering expansions of these sizes

Norwich and Ipswich could have either been a shoe in given their Eastern locations, weren't quite so bonkers/deluded and decided against bidding
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 20:39]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:05 - Sep 18 with 10939 viewsBlueorder

MK have done (and are still doing) a very good job of recruiting local school kids from the nearby towns, My own son now follows MK and we make regular trips to SMK. Last night we sat in the opposite corner to the Town fans and I must say the sound and sight of 3k plus sounded and looked immense. I'd wager that you couldn't hear a sound from the home 'fans'.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:16 - Sep 18 with 10905 viewsericclacton

Cos Pete Winkelman has an enormous pianist, I'm sorry I meant to say Pete Winkelman has to wear very long hose.
How is your eye?
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:19 - Sep 18 with 10888 viewswkj

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:16 - Sep 18 by ericclacton

Cos Pete Winkelman has an enormous pianist, I'm sorry I meant to say Pete Winkelman has to wear very long hose.
How is your eye?

I have to say, I don't really know what is going on here, but I will upvote it regardless.

Crybaby

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:27 - Sep 18 with 10861 viewsericclacton

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:19 - Sep 18 by wkj

I have to say, I don't really know what is going on here, but I will upvote it regardless.

I'm with you, I admire you, I admire the way you just stand out in a crowd.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:53 - Sep 18 with 10789 viewswkj

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 21:27 - Sep 18 by ericclacton

I'm with you, I admire you, I admire the way you just stand out in a crowd.

Like a kid waiting to nick sweets from woolworths on a saturday morning, I can be found lurking the shadows

Crybaby

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 22:12 - Sep 18 with 10721 viewsPJH

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 23:34 - Sep 17 by linhdi

Enabling development for the vast retail park that surrounds it. So, they had to attract a major football club. They tried Watford. Then nearly trapped QPR. But, in the end, the amoral owners of Wimbledon gave in.

Perhaps they thought they had acquired a tennis tournament.
So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 22:20 - Sep 18 with 10627 viewsLesta_Tractor

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 19:26 - Sep 18 by bluewhite

Not really...

Bit harsh on the old hockey stadium but I have to admit that the hockey stadium in Stratford is much much nicer to play in.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:28 - Sep 19 with 10223 viewsitfcjoe

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 20:37 - Sep 18 by bournemouthblue

International standards it maybe, it would still have had to be 44k for the World Cup so it could have been even more oversized

They weren't the only club considering 44k capacities though

Reading, Plymouth and one or two others were considering expansions of these sizes

Norwich and Ipswich could have either been a shoe in given their Eastern locations, weren't quite so bonkers/deluded and decided against bidding
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 20:39]

I think Bristol City were one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 08:39 - Sep 19 with 10192 viewsITFC_Forever

It's sold out for home fans for their Liverpool game next week, 20,000 tickets.

So I'm not sure if that's lower tier only, given the stadium holds 30,000 (I think)?

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:44 - Sep 19 with 10079 viewsHullblue

I’m surprised at the lack of antipathy towards them on here actually. They stole a club, and I can’t stand them. If MK played Norwich I honestly think I’d want the latter to win.

I even judge players for signing for them - I just think, couldn’t you have waited until a proper club came in for you?

Am I alone in this feeling? Maybe I need to go back to therapy.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:46 - Sep 19 with 10067 viewswkj

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:44 - Sep 19 by Hullblue

I’m surprised at the lack of antipathy towards them on here actually. They stole a club, and I can’t stand them. If MK played Norwich I honestly think I’d want the latter to win.

I even judge players for signing for them - I just think, couldn’t you have waited until a proper club came in for you?

Its a funny one really, I can't knock someone for supporting a footie club, its a wonderful part of life. The administrative side of MKD can sit on a pole for all I care, but it int' really the fans fault.

Crybaby

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:54 - Sep 19 with 10038 viewsITFC_Forever

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:44 - Sep 19 by Hullblue

AFC Wimbledon are not much better either.

Any moral high ground has well and truly been washed away by the way they acquired the land etc for the new stadium.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 10:01 - Sep 19 with 9997 viewsitfcjoe

I don't blame the players for playing for them, or local younger fans for getting on board but think your viewpoint is fair.

Personally I'd say I was over it though, as never really liked Wimbledon as a club, and they seem to be stronger from it anyway now - maybe if I were to watch it unfold as an older person I wouldn't be so forgiving, but this was going on when I was a teenager.

Be interested in a long read in the full history of it all now to maybe re-assess, but as a club MK do a lot of things right putting aside their formation

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 10:02 - Sep 19 with 9988 viewsHullblue

So why do MK Dons have such an absurdly big stadium? on 09:46 - Sep 19 by wkj

Its a funny one really, I can't knock someone for supporting a footie club, its a wonderful part of life. The administrative side of MKD can sit on a pole for all I care, but it int' really the fans fault.

Yeah it’s hard to blame the fans - if you’re living in MK and your kids want to go and watch league football, you’re probably not going to say no because of some moral technicality they won’t even understand.

I do pity them though because there’s no sense of pride attached to the club. Maybe locals would disagree, but I can’t see how you can be proud to say you’re an MK Dons fan.

It’s more the concept of them that I hate. And the owners who dared to do what they did to a real club like Wimbledon.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024