Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process 17:35 - Sep 17 with 841 viewshomer_123

comes to the fore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49730361

1. utility companies were allowed to factor in the cost via increasing customer bills
2. they were not forced to ensure meters were cross compatible
3. poor research used to show potential benefits, even the AO at £11 per houshold were not 100% sure that was accurate
4. huge amounts of time and money wasted
[Post edited 17 Sep 2019 17:36]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 17:59 - Sep 17 with 795 viewsSteve_M

Point 2 is the main point as it ensures the much of that cost will be wasted.

On Point 1, one of the benefits of privatisation for governments us that the supplier gets the blame from consumers for rising bills from government mandated actions.

Having known something about the early ideal of smart metering years ago with a former employer, the technical benefits - to companies and consumers - of smart metering should have been high but the whole process has been poorly implemented. A missed opportunity as much as a total waste of money.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 22:38 - Sep 17 with 733 viewsTractorWood

I just don't get it. I use gas and electricity when I need it, knowing perfectly well how much it costs. Reading the meter every 6 months is a minor inconvenience but not much more.

How is ever going to save the consumer money? A more accurate bill every month is all well and good but it won't save you any money in the long term.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 08:00 - Sep 18 with 661 viewsSteve_M

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 22:38 - Sep 17 by TractorWood

I just don't get it. I use gas and electricity when I need it, knowing perfectly well how much it costs. Reading the meter every 6 months is a minor inconvenience but not much more.

How is ever going to save the consumer money? A more accurate bill every month is all well and good but it won't save you any money in the long term.

In theory because the consumer is then metered in real time rather than against a generic profile. Use energy intensive devices - washing machines, dishwashers etc - at night then the power is cheaper than at peak time.

For the average domestic consumer the savings aren't going to be enormous but they are probably tangible.

Large business and industrial customers will be half-hourly metered allowing more representative tariffs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 16:34 - Sep 18 with 546 viewslinhdi

Another ill thought out, badly planned and implemented gov process on 22:38 - Sep 17 by TractorWood

I'm with you on that. When I moved into my house, I asked 3 neighbours what their energy bills were (to enable me to budget). Historic bills for the house were not a good guide for various reasons. They told me (and, heck, I was shocked!).

Their combined gas / electricity bills, back in 2014, varied from £3,300 to £3,600 annual. Mine has now risen a bit since then but is still "only" £1,400. I really cannot understand how people in identical houses are managing to spend so much more!

I have resisted a smartmeter so far, unconvinced by any savings, not wanting a first gen, and put off by stories of unreliability.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024