Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why was the England game played at Southampton 11:16 - Sep 11 with 1316 viewsGeoffSentence

and not Wembley last night?

I think it is great that it was taken out on the road again, like they did when Wembley was being built, but I was under the impression that the England team was contracted to use Wembley for home games.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 11:22 - Sep 11 with 1286 viewsTractorCam

I thought the same, maybe it just has to be a certain amount? Even more interesting that yesterday was a qualifier, as i'd have thought those would be at Wembley whilst friendlies can be moved around. Nice to mix it up though.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 11:22 - Sep 11 with 1286 viewsOldsmoker

They mentioned on ITV that the Kosovo manager was not happy about that.
He felt it was an insult to Kosovo and that England were being arrogant.
If not Wembley then play it at Old Trafford instead - but Southampton???
It seems the Kosovo community in the UK is in London not Southampton.
There must be a reason but it escapes me.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 11:22 - Sep 11 with 1288 viewsHeathlander

England take on Kosovo on Tuesday night in a Euro 2020 qualifier, but instead of their usual home of Wembley, they will be playing host at St Mary’s in Southampton.

It is part of the Football Association’s (FA) commitment to take England on something of a tour round the country, when possible, allowing other communities to see the national team away from north London.
Why was the England game played at Southampton on 13:44 - Sep 11 with 1099 viewsFreddies_Ears

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 11:22 - Sep 11 by Heathlander

England take on Kosovo on Tuesday night in a Euro 2020 qualifier, but instead of their usual home of Wembley, they will be playing host at St Mary’s in Southampton.

It is part of the Football Association’s (FA) commitment to take England on something of a tour round the country, when possible, allowing other communities to see the national team away from north London.

Most of the people around me last night were Kosovan fans. I suspect pretty much anyone of Kosovan background turned out! They were really friendly and fun, with much mutual piss-taking and appreciation.
Why was the England game played at Southampton on 18:37 - Sep 11 with 903 viewsTractorWood

Because Wembley on a weeknight is pretty hard for some fans to get to so they tour games a bit more now. Think the FA did ask fans a few years ago and it was something they were always criticised for. However, the main reason is that the FA refinanced Wembley a few years ago and took the pressure off so they are less concerned about having every game there.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 18:48 - Sep 11 with 887 viewshammo56

Why was the England game played at Southampton on 13:44 - Sep 11 by Freddies_Ears

Most of the people around me last night were Kosovan fans. I suspect pretty much anyone of Kosovan background turned out! They were really friendly and fun, with much mutual piss-taking and appreciation.

After meeting some of them last night am looking even more to going to the game over there in November.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024