Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You're just a small town in Norfolk 22:38 - Sep 6 with 6354 viewsstonojnr

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/norwich-classed-as-a-town-by-the-governmen

the Ipswich population in the 2011 census was 133,384 for reference :)
You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:44 - Sep 6 with 5733 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It was once England's second city?

Really? That isn't true is it? Even when Colchester was the capital it wasn't was it?

And just to show how they are still in our shadow they even add at the end "Ipswich, is undoubtedly a town, with a string of failed efforts to get city status." How many attempts makes a string by the way? Has the town actually attempted to gain city status more than once?

EDIT: After searching apparently Norwich was the second most populous place in England in the middle ages if that made it the second city. Ipswich has apparently bid 3 times for city status. I recall hearing about a bid but didn't realise it got as far as an official bid on 3 occasions. A very long string that is.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:52]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:48 - Sep 6 with 5722 viewsKievthegreat

There will be a lot of towns according to this classification:

"defined a town based on built up areas with a population of between 5,000 - 225,0000"
You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:51 - Sep 6 with 5723 viewswkj

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:44 - Sep 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

Really? That isn't true is it? Even when Colchester was the capital it wasn't was it?

And just to show how they are still in our shadow they even add at the end "Ipswich, is undoubtedly a town, with a string of failed efforts to get city status." How many attempts makes a string by the way? Has the town actually attempted to gain city status more than once?

EDIT: After searching apparently Norwich was the second most populous place in England in the middle ages if that made it the second city. Ipswich has apparently bid 3 times for city status. I recall hearing about a bid but didn't realise it got as far as an official bid on 3 occasions. A very long string that is.

I loved that little line at the end about Ipswich :'D I remember about 10 -15 years ago they were really trying hard to get city status, but not heard much recently

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:53 - Sep 6 with 5698 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:51 - Sep 6 by wkj

I loved that little line at the end about Ipswich :'D I remember about 10 -15 years ago they were really trying hard to get city status, but not heard much recently

In my search apparently the bid was made officially 3 times in the 90s and early 00s. I also found the Suffolk County Council are preparing to bid the next time one is to be made.

I don't think many Town fans would support the change anyway.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 23:04 - Sep 6 with 5663 viewsSpruceMoose

Let's be honest. In most areas other than football history and gene pool depth Norwich pisses all over Ipswich. And I say that as a man who is extremely proud to call Ipswich home.

Which is why it's so weird that they have a huge inferiority complex when it comes to us. The last line of that article is dripping with insecurity!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 23:06]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 00:58 - Sep 7 with 5554 viewsfactual_blue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 23:04 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

Let's be honest. In most areas other than football history and gene pool depth Norwich pisses all over Ipswich. And I say that as a man who is extremely proud to call Ipswich home.

Which is why it's so weird that they have a huge inferiority complex when it comes to us. The last line of that article is dripping with insecurity!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 23:06]

Fast forward to 6m 55s

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:10 - Sep 7 with 5545 viewsHerbivore

Norwich is a much lovelier place than Ipswich and is very much a city, albeit not a massive one. Horrendous, tinpot football team though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:12 - Sep 7 with 5537 viewsSpruceMoose

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:10 - Sep 7 by Herbivore

Norwich is a much lovelier place than Ipswich and is very much a city, albeit not a massive one. Horrendous, tinpot football team though.

Indeed.

They have no need to feel insecure about anything other than the cobwebs in their trophy cabinet.

I await the inevitable backlash, but if I ever came back to the UK, I'd sooner live in Norwich than ipswich.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:22 - Sep 7 with 5517 viewsjeera

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:12 - Sep 7 by SpruceMoose

Indeed.

They have no need to feel insecure about anything other than the cobwebs in their trophy cabinet.

I await the inevitable backlash, but if I ever came back to the UK, I'd sooner live in Norwich than ipswich.

That fecking accent though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:44 - Sep 7 with 5492 viewsSpruceMoose

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:22 - Sep 7 by jeera

Well... Quite.

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 10:41 - Sep 7 with 5126 viewsHerbivore

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 01:22 - Sep 7 by jeera

You tend to hear it less in the city these days, even from folks who were born in Norwich. Once you get out of the city you need an interpreter.

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 11:06 - Sep 7 with 5109 viewsBigManBlue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:44 - Sep 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

Norwich doesn't make nearly enough of its medieval history in my opinion - people always seem surprised when that line gets trotted out but it was England's second biggest city until around the start of the industrial revolution.

I would also add, as someone who lives in Norwich, that whilst it is undoubtedly a very nice place to live the pub scene has also gone right downhill over the last ten years. Lots of hipster-type places and lots of gastropubs, but not so many proper boozers. Probably think this Ipswich actually has the edge here, as well as in football and genetic diversity.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 12:27 - Sep 7 with 4999 viewsHerbivore

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 11:06 - Sep 7 by BigManBlue

Norwich doesn't make nearly enough of its medieval history in my opinion - people always seem surprised when that line gets trotted out but it was England's second biggest city until around the start of the industrial revolution.

I would also add, as someone who lives in Norwich, that whilst it is undoubtedly a very nice place to live the pub scene has also gone right downhill over the last ten years. Lots of hipster-type places and lots of gastropubs, but not so many proper boozers. Probably think this Ipswich actually has the edge here, as well as in football and genetic diversity.

Norwich is great for pubs, imo of course. NR3 has some excellent boozers.

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 12:32 - Sep 7 with 4993 viewsBigManBlue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 12:27 - Sep 7 by Herbivore

Norwich is great for pubs, imo of course. NR3 has some excellent boozers.

NR3 is definitely the best area of the city. Perhaps I'm just growing older but a lot of the city does feel very sanitised these days. For comparison, I took some mates into St. Judes a couple of weeks ago, they'd never seen anything like it!

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 15:36 - Sep 7 with 4860 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Indeed.

That's what I thought, Until I actually lived there. There is a really embedded belief that they don't need the rest of the country for anything, and that "The Norwich way" is the best way. It's not only completely wrong, it's dangerous. I lasted less than 2 years before I was suffocating and had to get out. Marcus Brigstocke is bang on the money.

Poll: would you rather

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 15:38 - Sep 7 with 4855 viewsBigManBlue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 15:36 - Sep 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

That's what I thought, Until I actually lived there. There is a really embedded belief that they don't need the rest of the country for anything, and that "The Norwich way" is the best way. It's not only completely wrong, it's dangerous. I lasted less than 2 years before I was suffocating and had to get out. Marcus Brigstocke is bang on the money.

That sounds a bit like London in reverse! ;)

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 16:03 - Sep 7 with 4803 viewsJ2BLUE

Didn't they mention Archant and their job centre plus?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 17:02 - Sep 7 with 4730 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

Indeed.

lol.. having thought about this "where would I live if I returned back to England" thoughts, knowing not only have I lived in the Ipswich area, I also lived 15+ years in the Preston area to. I would head back to the Nottingham/Derby area.
You're just a small town in Norfolk on 19:54 - Sep 7 with 4620 viewsNBVJohn

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 15:36 - Sep 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

Agreed. I didn’t have much choice about living there when my Father’s job moved there in the early 1980’s.

God I grew to absolutely hate the place very quickly. Whilst I try to avoid stereotypes, it seemed to have a culture of inward looking people who viewed anyone with a different accent as a threat. I was back down the A140 as soon as I was old enough to leave home before going to live abroad for several years.

To give a bit of balance my best friend is from Norwich. He left around the same time as me to go university, and aside from seeing his parents, he never went back either.

I have lived in the Midlands for over 20 years now and love everything about it. I still have family in Norwich but avoid the place like the plague.

I’m also slightly surprised that they haven’t held Alan Partridge responsible for this. I seem to recall that his name (rather than Steve Coogan) was mentioned when they missed out on European City of Culture.
You're just a small town in Norfolk on 20:05 - Sep 7 with 4606 viewsBlueBoots

* Top Tip *

If you're visiting Norwich, take a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the "town centre". Try your best to hide your amusement as the driver angrily corrects you...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 11:41 - Sep 8 with 4285 viewsbournemouthblue

In Norwich's defence, that population number will be their borough figure I would think

I believe the urban population outside those boundaries will be over 200k but not quite the 225k they need to get over that number

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 11:45 - Sep 8 with 4277 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 22:48 - Sep 6 by Kievthegreat

There will be a lot of towns according to this classification:

"defined a town based on built up areas with a population of between 5,000 - 225,0000"

Not looking good for St Davids...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 12:56 - Sep 8 with 4240 viewsMVBlue

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 17:02 - Sep 7 by Tampa_Florida_Blue

lol.. having thought about this "where would I live if I returned back to England" thoughts, knowing not only have I lived in the Ipswich area, I also lived 15+ years in the Preston area to. I would head back to the Nottingham/Derby area.

There’s a good few Blues living in the Sunny South West for good reason. I did Nottingham for 13 years after Suffolk. Not the best place to live and work, actually fairly isolated and with a poor jobs market. Derbyshire is nice enough.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 23:00 - Sep 8 with 4087 viewsHerbivore

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 11:41 - Sep 8 by bournemouthblue

In Norwich's defence, that population number will be their borough figure I would think

I believe the urban population outside those boundaries will be over 200k but not quite the 225k they need to get over that number

The city Council area isn't huge, I think it's under 150k even. If you include the suburbs it's over 200k and by some definitions of the metropolitan area it'd be over the 225k. It's all rather arbitrary though.

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 09:01 - Sep 9 with 3947 viewsMugwump

You're just a small town in Norfolk on 23:00 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

The city Council area isn't huge, I think it's under 150k even. If you include the suburbs it's over 200k and by some definitions of the metropolitan area it'd be over the 225k. It's all rather arbitrary though.

Isn’t that the same as most towns and city’s?

Ipswich population doesn’t include many of the urban swamp, I’m not sure if it contains Pinewood or not but it certainly doesn’t include Branford, Sproughton, Bixley, Martlesham or Kesgrave.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024