Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dozzell 09:57 - Sep 4 with 4755 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Most of us agree he has talent and we all want him to come good, but last night only further served to highlight, as did Saturday actually, why I am really concerned about where he goes from here.

Make no mistake. When you are a player like Abraca-Dobra, it is easy to wow the crowd with tricks and flicks but the boy has played two games now, including against a Championship side and done everything possible to stake his claim for a place in the side.

Yes he has a lot to learn at 18 but he has come in, performed very well twice and massively improved his chances. Dozzell is a different player and one that may find it harder to wow the supporters but look at the impact of KVY.

Full backs can't usually shine like midfielders and forwards can but in his one game at PR, he stood out and was absolutely excellent.

Every time Dozzell is given a chance to impress the game seems to pass him by. How long before Dobra is more likely to be in the 18 than Dozzell?

Downes has gone up a level, Woolfenden has, Lankester grabbed his chance, El Mizouni has looked good in spells. It seems as if Andre is getting left behind and with Nolan, Huws and then Sears, Morris, Folami etc coming back, how long before Dozzell can't even get in the 18?

At a lower level, this should be the season where he shines but he looks no more likely to do that now than he ever has, which is a shame as he clearly has some talent, but doesn't seem to do everything required in matches to take his chance.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 10:06]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Dozzell on 09:59 - Sep 4 with 4731 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think a loan would suit Dozz. Cant see it happening though.

I rate him so highly, think he has all the attributes to be a top player, but it just hasn't happened for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a new club next year.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Dozzell on 10:15 - Sep 4 with 4668 viewshomer_123

I hope he is given more opportunities in our side than sending on loan.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Dozzell on 10:39 - Sep 4 with 4598 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Dozzell on 10:15 - Sep 4 by homer_123

On what basis though?

We are top of the league and Skuse and Downes have been outstanding.

We have Nolan, Judge, Huws, Bishop to come back, Edwards, Rowe, El Mizouni to come back, Lankester to come back, Nydam, Dobra.

Dozzell has been given starts or sub appearances and done very very little. We all know he has talent.

But how can you leave out so many players and give Dozzell opportunities when arguably all of the above have done more when given a chance? On what actual reasonable basis?

Because we think he's going to be really good. At what stage does he actually force his way into the team, show his quality and make it impossible to leave him out?

In two games Dobra has almost forced his way into the 18.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Dozzell on 10:39 - Sep 4 with 4596 viewsN2_Blue

How many opportunities does he get... before he shows something more than one pass.
We can’t play with 10 men every week.
Plenty of players show wary promise but aren’t good enough.
I do think there is a player in there but it probably ain’t going to happen here and we have plenty of midfield options.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Dozzell on 10:48 - Sep 4 with 4570 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Dozzell on 10:55 - Sep 4 with 4536 viewsclive_baker

Dozzell on 10:39 - Sep 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

On what basis though?

We have Nolan, Judge, Huws, Bishop to come back, Edwards, Rowe, El Mizouni to come back, Lankester to come back, Nydam, Dobra.

Dozzell has been given starts or sub appearances and done very very little. We all know he has talent.

But how can you leave out so many players and give Dozzell opportunities when arguably all of the above have done more when given a chance? On what actual reasonable basis?

Because we think he's going to be really good. At what stage does he actually force his way into the team, show his quality and make it impossible to leave him out?

Equally, in Dozzell's defence, it's much more difficult to make an impression with fleeting appearances. Dobra's done well for sure, but it's not a reflection on Dozzell. He's come in to the side for a rare start, then out for a month, plus a few appearances off the bench here and there. He's young and will be inconsistent, but can only grow as a player if he has a run of senior appearances. But we can't carry anyone though, so it's another one that's a little chicken & egg. He just needs to play regular 1st team football somewhere. Downes has had poor games for us, especially in the early days, but a loan spell at Luton has clearly benefited him. Woolfenden has been given the opportunity to make a spot his own by virtue of the fact Nsiala is injured, had it not been for that we probably wouldn't have seen him either. Sometimes that's what it takes, and Woolfy has been great.

It's perhaps as much a mental thing for Dozzell as a lack of ability. A run in the side gives an enormous amount of confidence to a player, and that's what I would like to see more of from Andre, the confidence to enforce himself on a game, demand the ball from teammates and really influence throughout. Perhaps he doesn't have that just yet, and it can only come with games and experience. If it's not here, he has to be playing regularly somewhere else, ideally on loan so we can benefit from him in the future. I was surprised to see he wasn't involved last night.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dozzell on 11:28 - Sep 4 with 4464 viewshomer_123

Dozzell on 10:39 - Sep 4 by N2_Blue

How many opportunities does he get... before he shows something more than one pass.
We can’t play with 10 men every week.
Plenty of players show wary promise but aren’t good enough.
I do think there is a player in there but it probably ain’t going to happen here and we have plenty of midfield options.

Because we've seen what he can do - why would we not want to give him an opportunity to play?

I've not seen Nolan or Judge do anything 'stand out' or spectacular (they both should be excellent players at this level).

We've extended opportunities to Bish for example and he's been injured for way, way longer.

Are you really saying that playing with Dozzell in the team is like playing with 10 men?

Dozzell on 11:31 - Sep 4 with 4452 viewshomer_123

Dozzell on 10:39 - Sep 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

On what basis though?

I'd suggest that neither Nolan or Judge have done anything markedly above that of Dozzell.

Given Huws and Bish are not fit, nor is Lankester you are not leaving those guys out to accomodate Dozzell. El Mizouni certainly hasn't done anything of note either.

I'd want to extend every opportunity possible to our young players.

Login to get fewer ads

Dozzell on 11:37 - Sep 4 with 4426 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dozzell on 10:55 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

Equally, in Dozzell's defence, it's much more difficult to make an impression with fleeting appearances. Dobra's done well for sure, but it's not a reflection on Dozzell. He's come in to the side for a rare start, then out for a month, plus a few appearances off the bench here and there. He's young and will be inconsistent, but can only grow as a player if he has a run of senior appearances. But we can't carry anyone though, so it's another one that's a little chicken & egg. He just needs to play regular 1st team football somewhere. Downes has had poor games for us, especially in the early days, but a loan spell at Luton has clearly benefited him. Woolfenden has been given the opportunity to make a spot his own by virtue of the fact Nsiala is injured, had it not been for that we probably wouldn't have seen him either. Sometimes that's what it takes, and Woolfy has been great.

It's perhaps as much a mental thing for Dozzell as a lack of ability. A run in the side gives an enormous amount of confidence to a player, and that's what I would like to see more of from Andre, the confidence to enforce himself on a game, demand the ball from teammates and really influence throughout. Perhaps he doesn't have that just yet, and it can only come with games and experience. If it's not here, he has to be playing regularly somewhere else, ideally on loan so we can benefit from him in the future. I was surprised to see he wasn't involved last night.

He wasn't involved last night because he's away on England U20 duty.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dozzell on 11:41 - Sep 4 with 4427 viewsBrixtonBlue

"Every time Dozzell is given a chance to impress the game seems to pass him by."

I think you're starting from a false premise here.

I do, however, think it's hard for him due to coming back from a lengthy injury and us having so many midfield options, so perhaps a loan move would be best. I don't think the little we've seen of Dobra is yet enough to suggest he ousts Dozzell.

Dozzell is also a fantastic option from the bench when you're trying to break a team down. No-one can spot a defence splitting pass like Dozzell.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dozzell on 12:15 - Sep 4 with 4346 viewsclive_baker

Dozzell on 11:37 - Sep 4 by BrixtonBlue

He wasn't involved last night because he's away on England U20 duty.

That'll be why he wasn't involved last night then! Cheers.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dozzell on 13:13 - Sep 4 with 4252 viewsHarry_Palmer

Don't worry about it, really. Ultimately it's up to him and if he really is good enough then he will come through.

Are you 'really concerned' about whether our other young players are going to make it here or is it just because his surname is Dozzell?

The most important thing for me is the team and the club as a whole, not one individual. Dozzell clearly has talent and if he doesn't make it here then it means we will have some very good players keeping him out, so all good as far as I am concerned.
Dozzell on 23:31 - Sep 4 with 3924 viewsChe

Fans want him to be a great asset to the team and come good because of who he is but in truth he is not up to the standard.
Time to let him go. If he comes god elsewhere we'll good luck to him, it can't be said ITFC didn't try.
Dozzell on 07:45 - Sep 5 with 3706 viewsdissboy2

he needs to toughen up mentally and physically, show more desire and determination. I think a spell away in another club would be a shock for him but bring home to him whats needed
Dozzell on 08:16 - Sep 5 with 3657 viewsGerkensBeard

Don’t underestimate the impact the ACL injury has had on him mentally.
I remember the game he did it. He was the best player on pitch until he did it. Was confident, always wanting the ball and spraying it round. To go into challenges and 50/50’s the way he used to is going to be hard if he’s worrying his knee could go again.
Also he’s not been used in his best position of late.
In the game I’m on about it was the first game of the season at home to Birmingham. If I remember correctly he played the deep lying playmaker role in a 4-2-3-1. Alongside Skuse with Grant Ward in the 10 role. Now those 2 alone provided plenty of energy for Dozzell to play his own game. If you want to get the best out of Dozzell the team has to be built around him. And at this point with the other quality we have that isn’t going to happen. When he gets his chance, no matter what position he has to take it on the chin and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Downes may be more limited technically, but his attitude, work rate and how fit he is puts him way ahead of Dozzell in terms of starting alongside Skuse at the moment.
Dozzell on 08:32 - Sep 5 with 3630 viewsitfcjoe

He needs a run in the team, but hard to just give him that due to how we are playing.

He needs a stroke of luck like a couple of injuries to allow him that and to grow, doesn't look likely it will happen though which is a shame.

Fans want him to succeed, not because his name is Dozzell, but because he is clearly a massive talent - England regular at every age group, and even this summer there were bids in for him of £3m from PL clubs. If we can get him right and flourishing he could be worth £10m, but that is a long way off now and something needs to happen to change that path.

He plays in a position where it isn't easy to stand out like some others too, but needs a chance - the longer it goes on the less likely he is to get one and hard to blame the manager at the moment for that - it's just circumstance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Dozzell on 08:38 - Sep 5 with 3620 viewsxrayspecs

Our new Dean Bowditch. Town kept him on the books until he was 22/23 as he was by all accounts one of the most talented players we had at the club at the time. He just did not seem to be able to consistently transfer this from the training ground to the pitch.

DB had a decent enough career in the lower leagues but was never the player we all hoped he would become.
Dozzell on 09:31 - Sep 5 with 3538 viewsHarry_Palmer

Dozzell on 08:32 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

He needs a run in the team, but hard to just give him that due to how we are playing.

He needs a stroke of luck like a couple of injuries to allow him that and to grow, doesn't look likely it will happen though which is a shame.

Fans want him to succeed, not because his name is Dozzell, but because he is clearly a massive talent - England regular at every age group, and even this summer there were bids in for him of £3m from PL clubs. If we can get him right and flourishing he could be worth £10m, but that is a long way off now and something needs to happen to change that path.

He plays in a position where it isn't easy to stand out like some others too, but needs a chance - the longer it goes on the less likely he is to get one and hard to blame the manager at the moment for that - it's just circumstance

Disagree on the name bit, I think his name being Dozzell has a significant bearing on how fans feel about him.
Dozzell on 09:55 - Sep 5 with 3504 viewsArnieM

Andre is good enough ..or should I say consistent enough to hold down a regular first team slot. He barely registers as “ on the pitch”, when he does get picked.

I know League One isn’t suited to a technically gifted player as players have to battle to establish their right to display their skills. AD is too lightweight to do this at this level. He’s effectively a luxury. But an increasing part of me thinks his injury has taken the edge out of his game now , and that he Is essentially living off his name and perhaps show very rare glimpses of his skills. Problem is we can’t afford to carry him in these games. I not he still hasn’t signed the contract on the table!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dozzell on 10:07 - Sep 5 with 3467 viewsxrayspecs

Dozzell on 09:55 - Sep 5 by ArnieM

Andre is good enough ..or should I say consistent enough to hold down a regular first team slot. He barely registers as “ on the pitch”, when he does get picked.

I know League One isn’t suited to a technically gifted player as players have to battle to establish their right to display their skills. AD is too lightweight to do this at this level. He’s effectively a luxury. But an increasing part of me thinks his injury has taken the edge out of his game now , and that he Is essentially living off his name and perhaps show very rare glimpses of his skills. Problem is we can’t afford to carry him in these games. I not he still hasn’t signed the contract on the table!

Adam Lallana was a key player for Southampton in L1 a few years back iirc.
Dozzell on 10:17 - Sep 5 with 3429 viewsElephantintheRoom

His dad divided opinion too, looking slow and cumbersome in midfield and trundling around up front. Never really fulfilled the hype and only flourished because John Duncan made the most of his talents. His move to Spurs saw him cement a place in the 'worst spurs team of all time.'

Doz Jr is suffering a from a manager who doesn't know what to do with him and an injury hangover. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Clearly he will never make his mark here now - but that may not be his fault.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Dozzell on 10:43 - Sep 5 with 3393 viewsGerkensBeard

Dozzell on 09:55 - Sep 5 by ArnieM

It’s suited to technically gifted players. Just not luxury players. I don’t think any level is suited to luxury players now. At every level you have to work your arse off. Luxury players have to earn the right and become a complete player
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024