Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know I’m getting carried away... 08:53 - Sep 4 with 3434 viewsunstableblue

... but if our squad can have a year together, cementing a system and ethos of play, with enough wins for promotion, then we’d go back into the Championship transformed.

And with the likes of Downes, KVY, The Wolf, Dobra, El Mizouni with a season of growing and maturing. Each worth £1m plus.

And with the likes of Bishop and Huws fit.

Some further additions and a massive buzz about the place - it would be happy days!!

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

I know I’m getting carried away... on 08:56 - Sep 4 with 2971 viewsHerbivore

You're definitely getting carried away. We're a way off being a competitive Championship side as yet. Let's just enjoy this season and hope we improve performance wise as it progresses before we start setting expectations for next year.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I know I’m getting carried away... on 08:58 - Sep 4 with 2952 viewsBiGDonnie

It's pretty much guarantee'd that after the start we've made, we're set for back to back promotions and then a top 8 Prem finish.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

In the league, we already have on 10:34 - Sep 4 with 2783 viewsGuthrum

nearly one-sixth (16.3%) of the points we will need to pretty much guarantee automatic promotion (90 points, reduced pro-rata for the absence of Bury). From just over one-seventh (13.6%) of the available matches.

Gives some idea of the amount of leeway we have if Town can keep up this kind of points accumulation rate (seven or eight matches).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:44 - Sep 4 with 2754 viewsclive_baker

I agree, there's enormous potential in this squad. I really hope ME can rebuff any advances we might receive for any players in Jan. I can see Downes attracting interest if he keeps playing the way he has been. When you consider we still have Nolan, Huws, Keane, Sears and Bishop to come back, who all could make cases for being Championship players when fit. As well as the youngsters you mention, we've also got Dozzell as well as Lankester, Nydam & Morris currently out injured, who have all shown a lot of promise. It's certainly a very interesting time for the club, this really does feel like it could be the year we hit reset and hopefully come back stronger and with a much clearer sense of longer term strategic direction. In the meantime we just need to get our heads down and be single minded about keeping winning L1 fixtures.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:53 - Sep 4 with 2711 viewsBackToRussia

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:44 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

I agree, there's enormous potential in this squad. I really hope ME can rebuff any advances we might receive for any players in Jan. I can see Downes attracting interest if he keeps playing the way he has been. When you consider we still have Nolan, Huws, Keane, Sears and Bishop to come back, who all could make cases for being Championship players when fit. As well as the youngsters you mention, we've also got Dozzell as well as Lankester, Nydam & Morris currently out injured, who have all shown a lot of promise. It's certainly a very interesting time for the club, this really does feel like it could be the year we hit reset and hopefully come back stronger and with a much clearer sense of longer term strategic direction. In the meantime we just need to get our heads down and be single minded about keeping winning L1 fixtures.

It's a nice upside to getting relegated, that the promising set of youngsters we have at the moment are much more likely to get game time than they would have had we not gone down.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 10:53]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:55 - Sep 4 with 2697 viewsRocky

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:44 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

Not forgetting Ben Folami and Freddie Sears.
We're going to have one hell of a reserve team when they're all fit.......
I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:03 - Sep 4 with 2677 viewsclive_baker

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:53 - Sep 4 by BackToRussia

It's a nice upside to getting relegated, that the promising set of youngsters we have at the moment are much more likely to get game time than they would have had we not gone down.

Absolutely. I'm not one for a MM debate on here, I think he did a great job and worked to the limitations and hand he was dealt, but I never felt we really had much of a longer term view. A reliance on loans and senior pro's did mean that opportunities for the kids were limited, and that was very much a necessity to keep us as competitive as possible in a 'bonkers' division, I get that. It is refreshing though to see these academy graduates given a pathway to the senior side and an opportunity to establish themselves, a la Downes and Woolfy. I look at the squad and think if ME has the b0llocks and conviction in his plan to keep them together, with a few choice additions, it could be very competitive in 2 or 3 years time, not just at this level but at the one above too.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:15 - Sep 4 with 2633 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:03 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

Absolutely. I'm not one for a MM debate on here, I think he did a great job and worked to the limitations and hand he was dealt, but I never felt we really had much of a longer term view. A reliance on loans and senior pro's did mean that opportunities for the kids were limited, and that was very much a necessity to keep us as competitive as possible in a 'bonkers' division, I get that. It is refreshing though to see these academy graduates given a pathway to the senior side and an opportunity to establish themselves, a la Downes and Woolfy. I look at the squad and think if ME has the b0llocks and conviction in his plan to keep them together, with a few choice additions, it could be very competitive in 2 or 3 years time, not just at this level but at the one above too.

Not sure I'd entirely agree on that take on MM. His record of blooding youngsters was very strong. The likes of Bishop, Nydam, Downes, Dozzell, Morris, Folami, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Woolfie etc. all made their debuts under Mick. Many of them were much younger then and so less able to nail down a regular place but to some extent Lambert is reaping the benefit of some of those players being given competitive game time under Mick in the Championship.

Login to get fewer ads

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:16 - Sep 4 with 2633 viewswrightsrightglove

I would imagine if Downes and Wolfenden carry on their current form then they'll be £10million+ players by the end of the season given the current financial climate in football. Even if we have to sell one player a year for decent money to keep building ala the Burley years then at least we're building something. Exciting times
I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:16 - Sep 4 with 2630 viewsBackToRussia

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:15 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Not sure I'd entirely agree on that take on MM. His record of blooding youngsters was very strong. The likes of Bishop, Nydam, Downes, Dozzell, Morris, Folami, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Woolfie etc. all made their debuts under Mick. Many of them were much younger then and so less able to nail down a regular place but to some extent Lambert is reaping the benefit of some of those players being given competitive game time under Mick in the Championship.

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle? He gave debuts to a lot of young players but was there really a way he could give them consistent game time when there was such pressure on him?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:22 - Sep 4 with 2618 viewsclive_baker

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:15 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Making a debut isn't blooding a youngster. For one reason or another, barely any of that list were regulars under MM.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:25 - Sep 4 with 2604 viewsSomethingBlue

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:22 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

Making a debut isn't blooding a youngster. For one reason or another, barely any of that list were regulars under MM.

Mainly because they were too young or too injured. I think it's fair to say Mick set up a few of these guys' careers perfectly well.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:33 - Sep 4 with 2579 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:22 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

Bishop was nailed on when fit. Dozzell, Downes, Nydam and Kenlock all made plenty of appearances under him. They were all barely 18 back then though. Let's remember that the likes of Dobra haven't featured in the league for us yet, most of the younger players featuring in our side regularly also featured under Mick at a much younger age.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:41 - Sep 4 with 2559 viewsGeoffSentence

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:16 - Sep 4 by BackToRussia

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle? He gave debuts to a lot of young players but was there really a way he could give them consistent game time when there was such pressure on him?

By and large the debuts he handed out were for cup games that he didn't give two hoots about and wanted to rest his first team for.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:43 - Sep 4 with 2555 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:41 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

By and large the debuts he handed out were for cup games that he didn't give two hoots about and wanted to rest his first team for.

Most of those I mentioned made league appearances under MM.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:50 - Sep 4 with 2542 viewsclive_baker

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:33 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Bishop was nailed on when fit. Dozzell, Downes, Nydam and Kenlock all made plenty of appearances under him. They were all barely 18 back then though. Let's remember that the likes of Dobra haven't featured in the league for us yet, most of the younger players featuring in our side regularly also featured under Mick at a much younger age.

It's not a criticism of MM, he played the hand he was dealt, but he tended to favour experience over youth. You only have to look at his squads to see evidence of that. There were certainly reasons as I said. I'm not sure he had the crop that we have now at his disposal, hence the need for the likes of Douglas, Best, Taylor, Gleeson, Carayol etc. He played the hand he was dealt, no criticism there, but it's refreshing to me to see so many academy graduates being given a chance now our circumstances are different.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:53 - Sep 4 with 2529 viewsBLUEBEAT

A true test of Marcus Evans’ mettle will come in January, when Championship teams come calling for key members of our squad.

Poll: W or W

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:56 - Sep 4 with 2513 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:50 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

It's not a criticism of MM, he played the hand he was dealt, but he tended to favour experience over youth. You only have to look at his squads to see evidence of that. There were certainly reasons as I said. I'm not sure he had the crop that we have now at his disposal, hence the need for the likes of Douglas, Best, Taylor, Gleeson, Carayol etc. He played the hand he was dealt, no criticism there, but it's refreshing to me to see so many academy graduates being given a chance now our circumstances are different.

It's great to see. I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing, I just think that the groundwork for what we're seeing now with the youngsters like Downes nailing down a place in the side can be traced back to opportunities he was given as a much younger pro. Not just playing games, though that helps, but also training with and being part of the first team squad. Thus far Lambert is using Dobra similarly to how Mick used the talented youngsters when they were first emerging. What's great is that we now seem to have a conveyor belt where at least a couple of players are breaking through every year. That doesn't happen by chance and it's not something that Lambert has had the time to establish himself.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:01 - Sep 4 with 2495 viewsOsborneOneNil

I know I’m getting carried away... on 11:50 - Sep 4 by clive_baker

It was nailed on that Herbivore would pipe up when you mentioned MM. Can't wait to see how he deals with PL if we do go up, then do well in the Champ. I reckon his head will burst.

I'm with you, Clive.
I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:11 - Sep 4 with 2458 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:01 - Sep 4 by OsborneOneNil

It was nailed on that Herbivore would pipe up when you mentioned MM. Can't wait to see how he deals with PL if we do go up, then do well in the Champ. I reckon his head will burst.

I'm with you, Clive.

Entirely predictable to see you appear in order to have a pop as well. No substantive engagement with the debate either, as per usual.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:38 - Sep 4 with 2410 viewsOsborneOneNil

I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:11 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Entirely predictable to see you appear in order to have a pop as well. No substantive engagement with the debate either, as per usual.

About as predictable as you popping up when someone says things at ITFC might be on the up and even slightly questions MM.

No need to enter a debate on it, you know how I felt in the last 2 years of his reign. Bored out of my head. I know L1 is a step down, and the quality isn't as good, and we should be playing Leeds etc, but, isn't is nice to be winning a few, playing more youngsters and scoring some goals.

All good fun!
I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:12 - Sep 4 with 2345 viewsHerbivore

I know I’m getting carried away... on 12:38 - Sep 4 by OsborneOneNil

About as predictable as you popping up when someone says things at ITFC might be on the up and even slightly questions MM.

No need to enter a debate on it, you know how I felt in the last 2 years of his reign. Bored out of my head. I know L1 is a step down, and the quality isn't as good, and we should be playing Leeds etc, but, isn't is nice to be winning a few, playing more youngsters and scoring some goals.

All good fun!

It's great to see us winning games and playing the youngsters. I think the football can improve but at least we're winning games even whilst performances have been patchy. And it is nice to have a couple of goalscorers banging them in.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 13:21]

I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:16 - Sep 4 with 2332 views66notout

I know I’m getting carried away... on 10:53 - Sep 4 by BackToRussia

Yep, with you all the way. So glad we were relegated...
I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:18 - Sep 4 with 2322 viewsBackToRussia

I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:16 - Sep 4 by 66notout

Yep, with you all the way. So glad we were relegated...

Eh???

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:19 - Sep 4 with 2320 viewsOsborneOneNil

I know I’m getting carried away... on 13:12 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

It's great to see us winning games and playing the youngsters. I think the football can improve but at least we're winning games even whilst performances have been patchy. And it is nice to have a couple of goalscorers banging them in.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 13:21]

Agreed! :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024