Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 years ago today 10:47 - Aug 31 with 4040 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We signed Leon Best on transfer deadline day as a 'replacement' for Murph.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

3 years ago today on 10:57 - Aug 31 with 3656 viewsDennyx4

Was that the start of MM's decline in popularity too?
3 years ago today on 10:58 - Aug 31 with 3662 viewsPhilTWTD

That really wasn't the case, Best would have been signed whether Murphy had left or otherwise.
3 years ago today on 11:00 - Aug 31 with 3638 viewsBackToRussia

3 years ago today on 10:58 - Aug 31 by PhilTWTD

That really wasn't the case, Best would have been signed whether Murphy had left or otherwise.

Didn't MM say that Best was the replacement though when challenged that he hadn't replaced Murphy?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

3 years ago today on 11:00 - Aug 31 with 3635 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Good god, that's even worse!!

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

3 years ago today on 11:03 - Aug 31 with 3616 viewsGuthrum

3 years ago today on 10:57 - Aug 31 by Dennyx4

Was that the start of MM's decline in popularity too?

Not sure it was the start, we'd already had that dire half-season (including Rotherham at home, featuring Leon Best for the opposition). Indeed, there was a fairly strong current of grumbling about McCarthy even during the play-off season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

3 years ago today on 11:09 - Aug 31 with 3577 viewsSuperblue95

3 years ago today on 11:00 - Aug 31 by BackToRussia

Didn't MM say that Best was the replacement though when challenged that he hadn't replaced Murphy?

We also gave Best the number 9 shirt

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

3 years ago today on 11:11 - Aug 31 with 3565 viewsBackToRussia

3 years ago today on 11:09 - Aug 31 by Superblue95

We also gave Best the number 9 shirt

Basically, if he turned out well he was always the replacement, but because he turned out crap, he never was.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Jesus wept..: on 11:13 - Aug 31 with 3557 viewsunstableblue

3 years ago today on 11:03 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

Not sure it was the start, we'd already had that dire half-season (including Rotherham at home, featuring Leon Best for the opposition). Indeed, there was a fairly strong current of grumbling about McCarthy even during the play-off season.

... don’t remind me of the Rotherham game... and there were a number of other similar games... was a last straw for a lot of blue mates who stopped going... no strangely they are returning!!

Play-off season had a lot of merit...
But it really tailed off... and in reality our system of play didn’t stand a chance against Norwich

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Login to get fewer ads

Jesus wept..: on 11:37 - Aug 31 with 3489 viewsHerbivore

Jesus wept..: on 11:13 - Aug 31 by unstableblue

... don’t remind me of the Rotherham game... and there were a number of other similar games... was a last straw for a lot of blue mates who stopped going... no strangely they are returning!!

Play-off season had a lot of merit...
But it really tailed off... and in reality our system of play didn’t stand a chance against Norwich

And yet until Berra's handball on the line we'd shaded the first three quarters of the two legs against Norwich. There's no need to rewrite history. He's been gone 18 months now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

3 years ago today on 11:42 - Aug 31 with 3475 viewsbluesym

I am pretty sure we were trying to sign another striker as well as Best? Didnt we make bids for Lukas Jutewicz (sp) and Marley Watkins?

Now the fact we couldnt/didnt sign another striker for whatever reason is a different story.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

3 years ago today on 11:45 - Aug 31 with 3456 viewsHerbivore

3 years ago today on 11:42 - Aug 31 by bluesym

I am pretty sure we were trying to sign another striker as well as Best? Didnt we make bids for Lukas Jutewicz (sp) and Marley Watkins?

Now the fact we couldnt/didnt sign another striker for whatever reason is a different story.

We were in for Connor Washington but the price got jacked up late in the day.

3 years ago today on 11:53 - Aug 31 with 3425 viewsDevereuxxx

Selling Murphy and not bringing in a replacement was tantamount to gross negligence.
Jesus wept..: on 12:53 - Aug 31 with 3311 viewsPositivelyPortman

Jesus wept..: on 11:37 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

And yet until Berra's handball on the line we'd shaded the first three quarters of the two legs against Norwich. There's no need to rewrite history. He's been gone 18 months now.

Still missing him hun?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Jesus wept..: on 01:56 - Sep 1 with 3104 viewsHerbivore

Jesus wept..: on 12:53 - Aug 31 by PositivelyPortman

Still missing him hun?

Not remotely. I'm guessing you still miss Hurst though babe.

Jesus wept..: on 02:14 - Sep 1 with 3096 viewsStNeotsBlue

Jesus wept..: on 11:37 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Really! I thought the 2nd half at Portman Road we were poor, when we should have been on the front foot getting at them we were looking to contain them and didn't create a chance. The crowd was up after the late 1st half equaliser but was soon subdued by overly negative tactics.
3 years ago today on 09:30 - Sep 1 with 2856 viewsLeoMuff

You could easily be posting this about waghorn or garner, we took some gambles, more paid off then didn’t

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

3 years ago today on 09:51 - Sep 1 with 2815 viewsSteve_M

Although MM was hesitant about signing Best we certainly needed another option to play instead of Murphy at times. Not quite how it worked out but if anyone truly thinks MM saw Best as Murphy's replacement they're getting confused between Mick doing the bit of his job where he protected Evans.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

3 years ago today on 09:57 - Sep 1 with 2797 viewsChurchman75

the decline has been going on longer than you think,

We never replaced Paul Mariner lol

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

3 years ago today on 10:11 - Sep 1 with 2777 viewsPhilTWTD

3 years ago today on 09:51 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Although MM was hesitant about signing Best we certainly needed another option to play instead of Murphy at times. Not quite how it worked out but if anyone truly thinks MM saw Best as Murphy's replacement they're getting confused between Mick doing the bit of his job where he protected Evans.

I actually think it was Mick's failure to get a replacement in, there was money there, they just didn't find a player. Not helped by Murphy all happening over the space of a few days towards the end of the window, of course.
3 years ago today on 10:13 - Sep 1 with 2769 viewsPhilTWTD

3 years ago today on 11:00 - Aug 31 by BackToRussia

He'd said that he would be signing Best as back-up for Murphy before Newcastle made their approach but the Best deal wasn't confirmed until after Murph had gone. They were very clear they were looking to make another signing but ran out of options before the window closed.
3 years ago today on 10:32 - Sep 1 with 2704 viewsstrikalite

Letting Murphy go has to be MM's biggest mistake in management, to not have a replacement(a better replacement, that's how football works)was unforgivable, it wasn't in the best interests for the Club, after his disappointment of being told he couldn't go there is no doubt he would have excepted it and moved on as a lot players have too do, being the experienced Pro that he was/is..
3 years ago today on 10:40 - Sep 1 with 2683 viewsmrshallisfit

But Milne said he was a replacement. Admittedly he was a clueless twonk.
Jesus wept..: on 18:41 - Sep 1 with 2535 viewsPositivelyPortman

Jesus wept..: on 01:56 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

Not remotely. I'm guessing you still miss Hurst though babe.

He’s my uncle , so yes indeed I do miss him.
What’s your love for MM based on?
I’m guessing unadulterated lust. Sad man.

Jesus wept..: on 18:42 - Sep 1 with 2529 viewsJ2BLUE

Jesus wept..: on 18:41 - Sep 1 by PositivelyPortman

He’s my uncle , so yes indeed I do miss him.
What’s your love for MM based on?
I’m guessing unadulterated lust. Sad man.

Bloody hell, thought you were joking.

Are you an Ipswich fan or did you sign up when he came here?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jesus wept..: on 18:45 - Sep 1 with 2518 viewsPositivelyPortman

Jesus wept..: on 02:14 - Sep 1 by StNeotsBlue

Really! I thought the 2nd half at Portman Road we were poor, when we should have been on the front foot getting at them we were looking to contain them and didn't create a chance. The crowd was up after the late 1st half equaliser but was soon subdued by overly negative tactics.

Christ, you’ll have Herbivore in tears talking like that about Sir Micky.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024