Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never thought this day would come... 21:01 - Aug 28 with 4377 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Ipswich Town v Shrewsbury Town
Been a fan of Ipswich since 81 and Shrews since 83, having moved from Glos to Shrewsbury in 82.
UEFA cup winners, the Burley years and consistently a Prem or Championship regular.
Shrewsbury on the other hand, league two and more recently league one.
How we have fallen!
I’ll be in the away end with my brother and a couple of mates, as an ‘ultra neutral’ 🤫
😛 sitting on my hands!

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 21:13 - Aug 28 with 4300 viewsEdmundo

Weren't they both in Division 2 in the 1987-88 season? Duncan days so I'd forgive anyone for losing them from memory.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Never thought this day would come... on 21:14 - Aug 28 with 4286 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Never thought this day would come... on 21:13 - Aug 28 by Edmundo

Weren't they both in Division 2 in the 1987-88 season? Duncan days so I'd forgive anyone for losing them from memory.

I can certainly remember us playing them one season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Never thought this day would come... on 21:17 - Aug 28 with 4271 viewsTrequartista

Yes a Simon Milton hat-trick at Gay Meadow, no less.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Never thought this day would come... on 21:20 - Aug 28 with 4255 viewsMeadowlark

Never thought this day would come... on 21:14 - Aug 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

I can certainly remember us playing them one season.

We played there in the League Cup a few years ago. Won in extra time.
"You're just a small town in Wales..."
Never thought this day would come... on 21:27 - Aug 28 with 4226 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Never thought this day would come... on 21:20 - Aug 28 by Meadowlark

Yes was at that one 3-3 and Ipswich won on pens

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 21:27 - Aug 28 with 4221 viewsBlueBadger

We should sing 'we should have let you keep your manager' at them.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Never thought this day would come... on 21:28 - Aug 28 with 4214 viewsShropshireBluenago09

True - and Shrewsbury beat Ipswich 2-1 on the return

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 21:43 - Aug 28 with 4132 viewsSE1blue

And I’m sure we drew them in the FA Cup at least twice in the 80s.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Login to get fewer ads

Never thought this day would come... on 21:49 - Aug 28 with 4097 viewsTheBoyBlue

That's the season I watched my first Town game and when I first got into football. As a boy at the time, I had imagined that Shrewsbury had always been at that level.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Never thought this day would come... on 21:58 - Aug 28 with 4058 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am sure I can remember a league match not too long after being relegated. John Duncan era may be about right.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Never thought this day would come... on 22:23 - Aug 28 with 3982 viewsgainsboroughblue

Our bogey FA Cup team in the early 80's! First game featured on below link. They'd already knocked us out a season or two previous.

I can remember the 5-1 away with a Milton hat-trick and missing the return through chicken pox when Dalian scored a rasping free-kick (only home match missed between 83-92). Edit. I missed game with chicken pox, not Simon Milton.

Played them in the league cup in the early 90s too, winning over 2 legs.

And that was it until that penalty shoot out game a few years back.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 22:24]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Never thought this day would come... on 22:24 - Aug 28 with 3978 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Never thought this day would come... on 21:27 - Aug 28 by BlueBadger

We should sing 'we should have let you keep your manager' at them.

Many Shrews fans would have him back! 🙈

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 22:27 - Aug 28 with 3966 viewsgainsboroughblue

Never thought this day would come... on 22:24 - Aug 28 by ShropshireBluenago09

I'm sure there would be plenty of obliging North Lincolnshire folk who'd give him a lift there.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Never thought this day would come... on 23:06 - Aug 28 with 3845 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never thought this day would come... on 22:27 - Aug 28 by gainsboroughblue

I'm sure there would be plenty of obliging North Lincolnshire folk who'd give him a lift there.

I did see an headline today saying that bottom of the league isn’t what Hurst or the club/fans would have suspected when he was appointed.

Surprising that, as I’d have thought it was highly predictable.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Never thought this day would come... on 07:10 - Aug 29 with 3670 viewsBloomBlue

I remember going to test the stat; that Shrewsbury had more pubs per percentage of population than any other place in the Country.
Never thought this day would come... on 08:21 - Aug 29 with 3538 viewsStowmarketshrew

As a Shrew exciled in mid Suffolk for the past 12 years and with a wife and son with Portman Road season tickets I'm also somewhat excited about this. I think we drew 1-1 in the early 90's in the league cup before getting stuffed in the 2nd leg, and I was at the 3-3 in 2009 before we lost on penalties - that was one heck of a game, some absolute worldie goals, think Connor Wickham got a couple that night.

Fejiri Okenabirie, our most natural goalscorer is out, Norburn our best midfielder has not played yet this season and Williams probably our strongest defender was injured at MK Dons a few weeks ago so we're certainly struggling a bit. We've nonetheless looked very capable at the back with only three goals conceded but the key for us is whether our midfield show up. If they do we look a solid unit albeit often ponderous and uninspiring going forward.

I think we'll lose this one by the odd goal, but, hey ho, that's the life of a Shrewsbury fan, and mostly I'm just pleased I don't have a 400 mile round trip to games.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 8:23]
Never thought this day would come... on 08:31 - Aug 29 with 3495 viewsBlueBadger

Never thought this day would come... on 22:24 - Aug 28 by ShropshireBluenago09

To be fair, there's a few weirdos on here still carry a torch for Famous Roy. Mullet over sometime, it really machs you wonder.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Never thought this day would come... on 09:05 - Aug 29 with 3435 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Never thought this day would come... on 08:21 - Aug 29 by Stowmarketshrew

As a Shrew exciled in mid Suffolk for the past 12 years and with a wife and son with Portman Road season tickets I'm also somewhat excited about this. I think we drew 1-1 in the early 90's in the league cup before getting stuffed in the 2nd leg, and I was at the 3-3 in 2009 before we lost on penalties - that was one heck of a game, some absolute worldie goals, think Connor Wickham got a couple that night.

Fejiri Okenabirie, our most natural goalscorer is out, Norburn our best midfielder has not played yet this season and Williams probably our strongest defender was injured at MK Dons a few weeks ago so we're certainly struggling a bit. We've nonetheless looked very capable at the back with only three goals conceded but the key for us is whether our midfield show up. If they do we look a solid unit albeit often ponderous and uninspiring going forward.

I think we'll lose this one by the odd goal, but, hey ho, that's the life of a Shrewsbury fan, and mostly I'm just pleased I don't have a 400 mile round trip to games.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 8:23]

I’d expect Shrews to be a difficult nut to crack. They set up with 3 big solid central defenders and Dave Edwards plays the CDM role well as captain. Scoring has been their problem. Expect Morison (ex Millwall) and Shaun Whaley to cause us problems.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 09:41 - Aug 29 with 3377 viewsartsbossbeard

1983 - did you ever see Ipswich Town legend and good mate of mine, Andy Crane, in a Shrews shirt?

Great left peg and loved a tackle. He broke David Moyes leg in training, I believe. England U20's captain in the same team as Tony Adams too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Never thought this day would come... on 15:36 - Aug 29 with 3193 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Never thought this day would come... on 09:41 - Aug 29 by artsbossbeard

1983 - did you ever see Ipswich Town legend and good mate of mine, Andy Crane, in a Shrews shirt?

Great left peg and loved a tackle. He broke David Moyes leg in training, I believe. England U20's captain in the same team as Tony Adams too.

Just before my time of really watching. I was only 8 in 83

Gus Uhlenbeek

Never thought this day would come... on 15:48 - Aug 29 with 3174 viewsTractor_Buck

Me neither.

I've had a word with Shaun Whalley and (if he gets on the pitch) Dan Udoh, and asked both of them to have a bad day......

Mr Ricketts won't pick up his phone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024