Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shame on the PL and EFL 18:45 - Aug 26 with 3654 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Just ponder for a minute how you would feel it ITFC were going to be liquidated tomorrow.
No more ITFC, ground probably sold for redevelopment. What would you do? Support Colchester? Or some other local non-league team. Forever?

This is the third tier of professional football, only two levels below the PL, where there is a complete embarrassment of riches.

I do not blame anyone other than the authorities that run football for this. Sky, BT Sport, The Premier League and the EFL have stitched it up. All the riches, a far too big %, go to the Premier League. That is the reason this is happening and no one is standing up to demand change. Who will be next? (well Bury obviously) - but then who? Us, Derby, Sunderland? Mark my words, there will be more and more clubs going out of business unless the distribution of money changes dramatically. Personally, I would like to see 50% of all TV revenues go to the PL, and then a 50% reduction for each tier below. I don't know how much goes to the PL, but suspect it must be around 90%.

The only way I can think of to bring about change would be if there was a mass movement of subscribers to Sky Sports and BT Sports to cancel subscriptions. I have Sky Sports, but not BT, and if these clubs go into liquidation, I am cancelling my subscription. Does anyone else have any ideas, or are we all content to just look the other way and hope it doesn't ever happen to us?

Poll: would you rather

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:17 - Aug 26 with 3559 viewsMVBlue

Support a local side like us and pour scorn on the glory boys and their 10 outfield foreign national millionaire players.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:17 - Aug 26 with 3563 viewsMattinLondon

Bolton were in the PL for almost a decade and received parachute payments up-and-until three seasons ago. Their predicament is due to them and them only. Over the years they, as a club, received millions and millions from Sky as well as from other companies keen to live off their PL bubble. But it came to an end and they were, and still are, in a lot of debt.

It’s not the PL fault that as a club they messed-up. Their owners (or past owners I don’t know their politics) are to blame. Yes it’s heartless and I feel sorry for their fans but if you overspend then sooner or later the vultures will tear the flesh from your carcass.

As much as it pains me to say this look up at the budgies for a sensible approach. Take the money, make some purchases but hope that the team which gained promotion is good enough to stay up. It’s not glamorous but until a club has been in the PL for a few seasons then it’s tne best policy to take. As the old boring saying goes - save for a rainy day.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:19 - Aug 26 with 3552 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ken Anderson is to blame.

The PL cant really carry any blame.

EFL should be more thorough re owners.

The problem is, clubs outside the prem dont need owners, they need BENEFACTORS.

...and those benefactors need to be increasingly generous / rich.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:22 - Aug 26 with 3535 viewssparks

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:17 - Aug 26 by MattinLondon

Bolton were in the PL for almost a decade and received parachute payments up-and-until three seasons ago. Their predicament is due to them and them only. Over the years they, as a club, received millions and millions from Sky as well as from other companies keen to live off their PL bubble. But it came to an end and they were, and still are, in a lot of debt.

It’s not the PL fault that as a club they messed-up. Their owners (or past owners I don’t know their politics) are to blame. Yes it’s heartless and I feel sorry for their fans but if you overspend then sooner or later the vultures will tear the flesh from your carcass.

As much as it pains me to say this look up at the budgies for a sensible approach. Take the money, make some purchases but hope that the team which gained promotion is good enough to stay up. It’s not glamorous but until a club has been in the PL for a few seasons then it’s tne best policy to take. As the old boring saying goes - save for a rainy day.

The PL and FA are responsible for destroying the game. It is near impossible for smaller clubs even to dream now- and the gap is bigger each year, the ability to haord players at the top clubs growing and so on.

But you are right about Notlob.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:41 - Aug 26 with 3468 viewsPinewoodblue

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:22 - Aug 26 by sparks

The PL and FA are responsible for destroying the game. It is near impossible for smaller clubs even to dream now- and the gap is bigger each year, the ability to haord players at the top clubs growing and so on.

Perhaps there needs to be a limit on the number of players a team can loan OUT. Might lead to the big clubs running off and forming a UEFA league which might not be bad idea. Champions League etc would continue with ll members of UEFA league plus champions from national leagues.

TV money might, in the short term, chase the UEFA League but a competitive EPL, with two divisions of 18 or 20 ould still be the most competitive in Europe.

EFL leagues would return to being regional.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:53 - Aug 26 with 3432 viewsSporall

It would never happen, but would like to see a call for PL fans to boycott a game in protest.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:54 - Aug 26 with 3419 viewsAce_High1

LOL yeah go and cancel that Sky subscription, that will show them!

The authorities are to blame.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:01 - Aug 26 with 3397 viewsbraveblue

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:22 - Aug 26 by sparks

Leicester proved anything is possible. Too easy to blame the big clubs. This mess was made by poor ownership decisions.
Login to get fewer ads

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:27 - Aug 26 with 3320 viewssparks

Shame on the PL and EFL on 19:41 - Aug 26 by Pinewoodblue

Perhaps there needs to be a limit on the number of players a team can loan OUT. Might lead to the big clubs running off and forming a UEFA league which might not be bad idea. Champions League etc would continue with ll members of UEFA league plus champions from national leagues.

TV money might, in the short term, chase the UEFA League but a competitive EPL, with two divisions of 18 or 20 ould still be the most competitive in Europe.

EFL leagues would return to being regional.

Who makes the rules? The PL and the FA. Who wields power there? The big clubs who generate the cash.

There will be greater rather than reduced ability to loan out and retain young players to the detriment of smaller clubs.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:28 - Aug 26 with 3316 viewssparks

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:01 - Aug 26 by braveblue

Leicester proved anything is possible. Too easy to blame the big clubs. This mess was made by poor ownership decisions.

Did you read what i wrote?

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:36 - Aug 26 with 3291 viewsgordon

That wouldn't address the problem, it would just put player wages up a bit.

The problem is that at whatever level, there are massively rich individuals pumping in money to some clubs - this drives up wages, and clubs which don't have rich benefactors either live outwith their means, or drop down the pyramid, either of which normally end badly.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:38 - Aug 26 with 3276 viewshomer_123

If they cant run financially then why does a football club deserve special dispensation?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:40 - Aug 26 with 3270 viewsStokieBlue

It won't be us because regardless of the amount of stick he gets on here ME runs the club as well as could be expected financially and tops up when needed.

Perhaps a few in here who moan constantly that he's not splashing the megabucks should take a look at Bolton and Bury and have a bit of a think.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:51 - Aug 26 with 3217 views3_5_2

This

Each club is responsible for its own finances and Bolton have sadly overspent

I don’t know exactly why this is but I suspect they are like many clubs who are run this way. I am sure they won’t be the last. The EFL are culpable for their seemingly poor test for allowing owners to do what Steve Did at Bury and other examples (the Charlton owner being another example)

There but for the grace of god ......

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:55 - Aug 26 with 3194 viewsBluefish

It is no more their fault than it is ours for the sake that we were the club most likely to go bust when Marcus Evans rescued us. It is truly incredible how we can watch this going on while allowing a few thick fooks to call Evans a c*** at the same time. We were the club most like to go bust in England when he came along and now we call him a c*** because life is too boring
[Post edited 26 Aug 2019 20:56]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:57 - Aug 26 with 3178 viewsSpruceMoose

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:55 - Aug 26 by Bluefish

It is no more their fault than it is ours for the sake that we were the club most likely to go bust when Marcus Evans rescued us. It is truly incredible how we can watch this going on while allowing a few thick fooks to call Evans a c*** at the same time. We were the club most like to go bust in England when he came along and now we call him a c*** because life is too boring

The youngsters who love to blub about Evans have no idea how awful the admin days were, not just for the club, but the town and county as a whole. Not their fault I suppose, but they shouldn't shout down those of us who were there in Nam.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:59 - Aug 26 with 3172 viewsbrogansnose

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:38 - Aug 26 by homer_123

If they cant run financially then why does a football club deserve special dispensation?

From the extremely few clubs run at a profit, its a business like no other business because most would have gone bust donkeys years ago. Its also a business that's fueled by emotion rather thank business practice and customer choice. If ITFC were a supermarket performing how we have over the last few years then we'd all be shopping elsewhere and Evans would have liquidated us to boot. This would be repeated accross the leagues, but football is not like that.

Fact is that the custodians of the game have let money run riot and have done nothing or have acted to manage suststainablity in the game.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 21:57 - Aug 26 with 3064 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

This isn't about Evans. It also isn't about good or poor stewardship of clubs. Those are distractions. The much, much bigger point is that it is a stitch-up, the way all the money goes to one league in which salaries are utterly, utterly insane, and the rest of football is in abject poverty.

90% of the interest, certainly in England is not in the Premier League. If you take the overall attendance at football matches, maybe around 50% is at Premier League games. I hardly ever watch Premier League games, I want to watch games in the League that my team play in.
The money needs to be distributed more in line with the actual interest and support. It isn't happening and more and more of the small clubs (i.e. outside the elite 6) will go bust.

Yeah, cancelling my subscription wont change anything, its not until tens or hundreds of thousands of viewers realise what is happening and cancel subscriptions.

Poll: would you rather

Shame on the PL and EFL on 22:30 - Aug 26 with 2996 viewsFtnfwest

Anything is possible if you’re already the 24th richest club in the world but I agree with your overall sentiment.
Ps and not forgetting their miraculous re-creation a few years earlier
[Post edited 26 Aug 2019 22:31]
Shame on the PL and EFL on 06:19 - Aug 27 with 2817 viewsdaisyisabaddog

We are £100m in debt! People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 07:27 - Aug 27 with 2757 viewsKropotkin123

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:55 - Aug 26 by Bluefish

Whilst I agree, I am concerned that the debt still exists, even it is "his debt".

Our situation was a little different. We were impacted by external EFL TV deal going bust.

I find it hard to have sympathy with Bolton. They spent massively in players, beyond their means. They had big parachute payments to adjust, but spent it.

This is an increasingly likely scenario as clubs gamble on quick returns at they expense of clubs like ours with a more stable and regulation complicit owner.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Shame on the PL and EFL on 10:46 - Aug 27 with 2646 viewsrickw

The PL will never agree to give up a decent chunk of their money.

I would make 2 small changes. If a club who are due parachute payments get promoted (and therefore no longer need them) that money instead of staying in the PL's bank goes into a pot to be used to pay staff members at clubs who fail to do so themselves - obviously this would also require a point deduction too (maybe 1 point per week the wages are paid)

Secondly parachute payments were created to help relegated clubs adjust to the budget of the Championship, however relegated clubs now see this as a second chance - and spend everything they get to gamble on getting promoted. I would only pay parachute payments if the club submits an acceptable business plan of how they will be sustainable after parachute payments end in the Championship - the payments will be paid in instalments as long as the club is following that plan.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Shame on the PL and EFL on 10:53 - Aug 27 with 2626 viewsRegencyBlue

Shame on the PL and EFL on 20:57 - Aug 26 by SpruceMoose

The youngsters who love to blub about Evans have no idea how awful the admin days were, not just for the club, but the town and county as a whole. Not their fault I suppose, but they shouldn't shout down those of us who were there in Nam.

Big assumption there!

I have supported Ipswich Town for close on 50 years and I detest how Evans has run this Club.

Saying there are a few worse owners than him about isnt a ringing endorsement in my book!
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 10:56]
Shame on the PL and EFL on 13:00 - Aug 27 with 2537 viewsActionMan

They're owned by foreign multi millionaires.
Shame on the PL and EFL on 13:04 - Aug 27 with 2515 viewstabletopjoe

I suppose the real tragedy is that people only realise what is happening 25 years too late. By then it's far too late to 'undo' the damage.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024