Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 19:26 - Aug 24 with 2601 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It was a mismatch especially the second half as the Bolton kids ran out of the steam. Therefore it's a bit hard to draw any conclusions in regard to us.

The most annoying and frustrating thing today was Norwood's wastefulness. Perhaps he felt a bit cocky and complacent but he can't afford to waste as many chances as he's had today. Even Edwards' goal was just a follow-up from Norwood's one v one with Remi Matthews. Our fifth goal has perhaps made up a little bit for his faults but he needs to be better. I've been far more impressed with Jackson's effectiveness today.  

Bolton kids were not bad in defence in the first half but completely harmless in attack. Some of them looked like kids and once they conceded a second goal early in the 2nd half they lost their drive and determination. They completely gave in and afterwards it was a mismatch. Had that been a boxing fight the referee would have stopped it after 70 minutes.

Their last league goal is still an own goal from Emmanuel back in April.

Bolton's defence were quite rigid at times in the first half therefore the general impression wasn't the best as to how we'd fare. Given their average age and inexperience we ought to have created much more. We rarely make things easy therefore a second goal was badly needed to release a tension. So the game was over after Edwards scored and the only target for the remainder of the game was to rack up a goal difference. 

Vincent-Young had his debut but it is too early to assess him given todays opposition. One positive aspect is that he tends to enter an oppositon box that we hadn't seen from Donacien in the past matches.

Kenlock though made a few poor passes and he isn't getting better unfortunately.

I had said after that poor Peterborough match that 6 points from the Wimbledon and Bolton matches will be like papers over the cracks. My view was deepened after I saw on IFollow in the first 60 minutes against Wimbledon. However the points target this week has been acquired and it has got to be a biggest positive. 11 points after 5 games and lets move on. 

Today should be actually free of assessment and appraisal given the state of the Bolton team. Assuming Rochdale game is cancelled 6 points from the next two home games are by no means a foregone conclusion.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 19:34]
Match thoughts on 19:59 - Aug 24 with 2429 viewsFixed_It

You can only beat what is in front of you, Mach. Allow yourself to be happy - it's ok. Top of the league is ok too.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Match thoughts on 20:03 - Aug 24 with 2407 viewssparks

I thought that Norwood was actually being too careful and cautious rather than instinctively twa tting it. Bit of confidence and it should come.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Match thoughts on 21:29 - Aug 24 with 2228 viewsSomethingBlue

When Norwood signed a Tranmere colleague of mine told me that he'll always miss a few — that he had a reputation for missing one-on-ones but it barely mattered because, for 90 minutes, he'd just show up for everything and never hide. It meant he kept getting into the right areas and scoring goals. He'll do that in our side too, certainly in this division. I wouldn't be so worried.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Match thoughts on 21:44 - Aug 24 with 2152 viewsJDB23

Match thoughts on 21:29 - Aug 24 by SomethingBlue

When Norwood signed a Tranmere colleague of mine told me that he'll always miss a few — that he had a reputation for missing one-on-ones but it barely mattered because, for 90 minutes, he'd just show up for everything and never hide. It meant he kept getting into the right areas and scoring goals. He'll do that in our side too, certainly in this division. I wouldn't be so worried.

Yeah I think that's going to be the case. Hopefully as the season goes on and he gets sharper he'll be putting those chances away more efficiently, but it's good to see we are creating a lot for him and he is getting in the right positions. With the quality of this league he's going to have lots of opportunities to score.

Jackson has impressed quite a lot, could be a big player for us this year, his finishing has been very good. Norwood will be getting a lot of attention which should create space for him to exploit.
Match thoughts on 12:06 - Aug 25 with 1782 viewsmadmouse1959

Some of the football played and the missed goal chances were quite typical of frantic League One football. A part of me thinks that the team were not keen on rubbing Boltons nose in the dirt and racking up a cricket score. It could of been 11-0 all day .

Despite the vast difference in quality and experience on the pitch Ipswich looked quite ordinary in parts of the game. The missed goal chances were an example of League One football. All said and done we are top of League One. The real test begins when/if we are back in the Championship.

shampoo dave

Match thoughts on 12:32 - Aug 25 with 1746 viewsDarth_Koont

Agree on the whole that it was a mismatch, and difficult to read too much into it.

But I thought their keeper did very well in the first half even if Norwood could have done better with one or two chances. And I think Bolton kept going for the whole match but they were just too lightweight, inexperienced and unfamiliar as a team.

We actually looked effective but in the end that's down to the opposition and the confidence they weren't ever going to hurt us plus the knowledge that chances were just going to keep on coming.

Pronouns: He/Him

Totally disagree wit this on 16:46 - Aug 25 with 1613 viewscbower

To say about the Bolton lads that "they completely gave in" after the second goal is both disrespectful and imho absolutely wrong. It was, as you say, a total mismatch but those lads gave their all and I saw not one shred of evidence of Bolton players throwing in the towel. It must be so hard for them and I just hope this experience doesn't shatter any single players confidence or their chance of a professional future in the game.

bluescouser

Match thoughts on 16:57 - Aug 25 with 1590 viewsJ2BLUE

Writes and essay and then says 'Today should be actually free of assessment and appraisal given the state of the Bolton team'

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 17:00 - Aug 25 with 1574 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So teach him to finish more of his one-on-ones and he will be utterly immense?

Perhaps he should see the psychologist Marcus Stewart saw.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Match thoughts on 18:23 - Aug 25 with 1521 viewsPhilTWTD

It's also probably why no one has taken a chance on him at a higher level. The number of chances get lower the higher you climb and I suspect his conversion rate has counted against him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024