Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? 08:13 - Aug 23 with 3639 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thinking of visiting my parents at the weekend (Chelmsford)... then going on to somewhere on that east coast for a pleasant weekend with the missus. Any recommendations?

I remember Dedham being nice. The missus suggested Southend-on-sea, largely because it sounds nice with the "on sea" bit, but I always remember Southend being a sh!thole. Dunno if it's improved.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:24 - Aug 23 with 2678 viewsEJP

Flatford Mill and see the scene of Constable’s Haywain - you can walk along the river from Dedham.

Mersea

Maldon

Walton on the Naze or Frinton?
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:31 - Aug 23 with 2661 viewsIPS_wich

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:24 - Aug 23 by EJP

Flatford Mill and see the scene of Constable’s Haywain - you can walk along the river from Dedham.

Mersea

Maldon

I used to live in Chelmsford and can confirm that Southend is a Sh**hole.

I'd agree with Maldon as a nice place to go to near the sea - but not sure it's worthy of a weekend trip. I'd second the suggestion of the border area around Flatford Mill and into Dedham - or you can carry on another 25 minutes or so scoot around Ipswich and head to Woodbridge. Lovely walks along the Deben and only short drive up to Aldeburgh for some fab fish and chips on the beach.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:35 - Aug 23 with 2644 viewsMugwump

Walton on The Naze.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:36 - Aug 23 with 2641 viewsGlebeTractor

I'd recommend Frinton, not much there, but a lovely beach, can go for a walk at the Naze in Walton, which is pretty, pretty easy to go shark tooth hunting there too... no joke!

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/walton-on-the-naze-essex/

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:38 - Aug 23 with 2629 viewsCoastalblue

Mersea Island is a nuce place to 'hole up' for a couple of days, not a lot there but just enough. You're by the water all the time and have the option of walking or going to the pub, there's a couple of restaurants that are good and you might even get to see a red squirrel.

Aside from that, while you are enquiring about the area that I grew up there's places that are nice for a day trip, but not sure they warrant anything more. Burnham On Crouch would be a prime example.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:41 - Aug 23 with 2620 viewsbluelagos

Abberton resevoir, Alton water or Walton on the Naze (the Naze) for nice outdoor surrounds.

If you want a pleasant bit of coast, I'd park at Frinton and walk to Holland on sea. Quiet, sea breeze, easy walk.

If you want sea front, not too tacky I'd try Mersea and/or Felixstowe.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:43 - Aug 23 with 2618 viewssoupytwist

Frinton is nice in that it still retains its genteel seaside town atmosphere. Walton is more of a faded glory kind of place but the beach where at the bit where it meets Frinton is glorious (I’ve got a beach hut just near there, might be there on Monday). Check tide times though as the water comes right up to the sea wall. The Naze end of Walton is less run down than the pier end. The Naze tower has a cafe on the ground floor and the rest of it doubles as an art gallery. The beach by the Naze is good for finding fossils too.

The waterfront at Maldon is a nice place for a stroll and easily reachable from Chelmsford. Walking along the river at Burnham on Crouch is a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in the sunshine and you get to see the Grade II* listed Royal Corinthian Yacht Club which was designed by Joseph Emberton and represented Britain's contribution to the International Exhibition of Modern Architecture held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City in 1932.

The old part of Harwich is also nice and you can look across the Orwell estuary to all the big ships at Felixstowe.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:45 - Aug 23 with 2605 viewsSaleAway

Some good suggestions here - only caveat I'd put is that its bank holiday and the forecast is epic, so all the traditional beach places ( Frinton, Walton-on-the-naze etc) are liable to be absolutely horrendously busy...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:46 - Aug 23 with 2593 viewssoupytwist

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:45 - Aug 23 by SaleAway

Some good suggestions here - only caveat I'd put is that its bank holiday and the forecast is epic, so all the traditional beach places ( Frinton, Walton-on-the-naze etc) are liable to be absolutely horrendously busy...

And if you try to park on a street all the pensioners will have been up at the crack of dawn to move their car off their drive and onto the street to stop you doing it
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:02 - Aug 23 with 2551 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:35 - Aug 23 by Mugwump

Walton on The Naze.

Walton is well run-down now - or at least it was when I last went a couple of years ago

By contrast Felixstowe is having something of a resurgence - although might be a bit far if Dolly’s looking for somewhere to go from Chelmsford

Harwich could be another option - although I reckon many may disagree with that!!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:11 - Aug 23 with 2539 viewsEJP

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:45 - Aug 23 by SaleAway

A14/A12 junction (Copdock roundabout) is going to be busy as well as the back road from Manningtree due to the Sheeran gigs. Both Ipswich Road and Hadleigh Road will be closed.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:18 - Aug 23 with 2497 viewssoupytwist

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:02 - Aug 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Walton is well run-down now - or at least it was when I last went a couple of years ago

By contrast Felixstowe is having something of a resurgence - although might be a bit far if Dolly’s looking for somewhere to go from Chelmsford

Harwich could be another option - although I reckon many may disagree with that!!

Walton is a bit run down but when you're on the beach at the Frinton end of Southcliff Promenade facing the sea all the rubbish bits are behind you and it's lovely.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:18 - Aug 23 with 2494 viewsWeWereZombies

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:11 - Aug 23 by EJP

A14/A12 junction (Copdock roundabout) is going to be busy as well as the back road from Manningtree due to the Sheeran gigs. Both Ipswich Road and Hadleigh Road will be closed.

Well that probably puts the kybosh on my suggestion of Felixstowe Ferry then...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:27 - Aug 23 with 2461 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:18 - Aug 23 by WeWereZombies

Well that probably puts the kybosh on my suggestion of Felixstowe Ferry then...

Not if you get it from Harwich...!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:27 - Aug 23 with 2454 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:24 - Aug 23 by EJP

Mersea

Maldon

We both like art so that top one sounds nice.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:32 - Aug 23 with 2431 viewsWeWereZombies

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:27 - Aug 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not if you get it from Harwich...!

Now I have the image of Brixton Blue hijacking a Stena, pointing a gun into the Captain's temples and saying 'Take this boat to Bawdsey'...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:37 - Aug 23 with 2420 viewsGlebeTractor

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:27 - Aug 23 by BrixtonBlue

We both like art so that top one sounds nice.

If you're heading to Flatford, can I recommend going to Hall Farm, Dedham for lunch.

It's lovely. A 5 min drive away from where you'll be too!

http://hallfarmshop.com/cafe/

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:42 - Aug 23 with 2407 viewsColin_Viljoen

Southend conversation here......
Southend by woodbridge_blue 22 Aug 2019 14:06
Thinking of taking the kids to Southend on Sunday for the day, heard the Pleasure Beach is worth visiting.....anybody recommend it? Kids are 12 and 10.

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:53 - Aug 23 with 2376 viewschicoazul

Bella Italia?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:33 - Aug 23 with 2311 viewsitfcjoe

Dedham/Flatford are nice but a bit over rated for me - I much prefer to be by the sea personally.

A few good suggestions on here - Frinton is nice, Clacton isn't the best but sometimes that old seaside throwback can be a good laugh! Mersea Island is probably a decent place if going for a couple of days, very quiet but some nice little hidden gems there and can be down by the sea.

Burnham is nice enough, and can watch the world go by from some nice places there.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:53 - Aug 23 with 2269 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

I can vouch for Southend being a sh!thole! Come to Leigh and Sea its much nicer
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:56 - Aug 23 with 2259 viewsDyland

Southend is an alright day trip. No more of a sh1thole than Chelmsford :)

Mersea Island and the Fish Shack.

Dedham Vale is fab for walking.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:58 - Aug 23 with 2250 viewschicoazul

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:56 - Aug 23 by Dyland

Southend is an alright day trip. No more of a sh1thole than Chelmsford :)

Mersea Island and the Fish Shack.

Dedham Vale is fab for walking.

Never go to the Company Shed if there isnt an R in the month, dont you know anything?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nah, the rocks are fine on 11:12 - Aug 23 with 2229 viewsDyland

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:58 - Aug 23 by chicoazul

Never go to the Company Shed if there isnt an R in the month, dont you know anything?

Possibly best to avoid the natives though... but tbh the whole R in the month thing is out of date. Put it this way, I trough oysters in the summer. In fact the only time I've chundered from oysters was one Christmas.

P.S. on 11:12 - Aug 23 with 2226 viewsDyland

Nah, the rocks are fine on 11:12 - Aug 23 by Dyland

Possibly best to avoid the natives though... but tbh the whole R in the month thing is out of date. Put it this way, I trough oysters in the summer. In fact the only time I've chundered from oysters was one Christmas.

And yes, I know everything, as you well know you doofus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024